You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#536755 - 05/14/19 08:25 PM [RealBand] Mixing?
Loc: Arizona
John F Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Arizona
Here's a lame question from a total noob. I have recorded a few tracks in RB and have them pretty much where I want them. However, I'm mystified about what to do next. I would guess it has something to do with the send/return channels and the FX channels on the right side of the mixer screen. How do I use these and what are they for? Do I use them to accomplish the final mixdown and mastering?

Windows 10, Behringer UMC204HD Audio Interface, BIAB/RB 2018

#536756 - 05/14/19 09:38 PM [RealBand] Re: Mixing? [Re: John F]
Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
Teunis Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
I don’t use RB for mixing or mastering. However, the process would be similar. Once you have the tracks how you want them and the song arranged to suit what you are looking for you would start the process of mixing which entails things such as EQ, maybe Compression, setting volumes and panning. Usually an effect that is only used on one track would be added as an effect to the track. e.g. EQ.

Reverb or Delays you might want to set the same settings onto a number of tracks. In that case you might setup a different track with the desired effect. Say for example a reverb. Once you have the “reverb track” create a send from the tracks you would like to put the reverb on to the reverb track. This way you have the advantage of reducing CPU load and also a consistent reverb to the various tracks. You can edit the level of sends or returns as required.

That’s how I’d use them

Tony

Edited by Teunis (05/14/19 09:41 PM)

#536835 - 05/15/19 03:42 PM [RealBand] Re: Mixing? [Re: John F]
Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
rharv Offline
Veteran

First use the Render option to create a wav file.
Listen to it and see what you want to change.

As mentioned there are various ways to use the FX in RB, either on a track basis or in an AUX slot that you can then send multiple tracks to (in varying amounts) by using the AUX dials on each track in the mixer window.

If you have Mastering effects, put those in the A1 FX area in lower right of mixer, as these will be the last FX used on the way out of RB and be used on every track/AUX that makes it to the main output.

If it helps, I did a rough sketch of the audio flow in PT/RB many years ago (see below)

Attachments
RBDrawing1.jpg

Edited by rharv (05/15/19 05:05 PM)

#536939 - 05/16/19 08:51 AM [RealBand] Re: Mixing? [Re: John F]
Loc: Rio Grande Valley, Texas
silvertones Offline
Veteran

Loc: Rio Grande Valley, Texas
Old school. Still valid I think.
1. dynamics processors are track inserts
2. Effects processors use the effects loop.
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php

#546525 - 07/23/19 05:21 PM [RealBand] Re: Mixing? [Re: rharv]
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Bofga Offline

Thank you so much for this diagram! I was a little like John F in that I was confused by the mixing window and the user manual did not make things particularly clear either. I've used ProTools First a little and found the mixing window more intuitive but I could not seem to translate that to what happens in RealBand. Your diagram really helped. I did have a question though. At the bottom of your diagram is the Main Output and Main Output Effects. Does this correspond to the panel at the bottom right of the mixing screen ie: the sliders marked A1-A16? If I have only one audio output (in my case an Avid First Track Solo) does the "final" output of the audio signal come from the A1 slider on that (A1-A16) panel? Thanks again for your help.

#546656 - 07/24/19 04:39 PM [RealBand] Re: Mixing? [Re: John F]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Yep, A1 is the final output if you have only one output port on your system.

In this scenario you may want to visit the Options - Preferences - Audio Tab and check the box for
'Unassigned output ports work as Subgroups' option.

Then you'll only see 'A1' in that area of the mixer and the rest become 'G' something (numerical numbering). This is a way to send desired tracks to a 'subgroup' that is inserted inline if additional audio output ports aren't needed or available.
This means any track that is routing to a 'Subgroup' goes to that 'G' channel strip before eventually being sent to the A1 output.
This gives the option of having subgroups you can control (ie point all drum tracks to subgroup 3 and gain the ability to turn all drum tracks up/down uniformly, or all guitars etc)
This is what I consider an Advanced User feature, so it may be beyond your need right now, but wanted to point it out.

But anyway, from your description, yes A1 is the final output in RB before being sent out and to the soundcard/interface or other software, since you only have 1 output port available.

#546828 - 07/26/19 12:38 AM [RealBand] Re: Mixing? [Re: rharv]
Bofga Offline

Great!

Thanks for that. I had actually managed to workout the subgroups bit but your explanation was very helpful also.

PG Music News
Just Released: Xtra Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box for Windows!

164 amazing new RealStyles await you in Xtra Styles PAK 7! We've dreamed up some great new arrangements for your songwriting, production, and teaching needs in four volumes: Jazz 7, Country 7, Rock/Pop 7, and Americana 2.

Get all 164 new RealStyles in the All Xtra Styles PAK 7 for only $29 until September 15, 2019! (Reg. $49)

Specific genre packages are also available for $15 each!

For more information and to listen to demos, click here!

Band-in-a-Box® Features List!

Every version release of Band-in-a-Box® adds loads of new features and enhancements to the program, which we're sure can sometimes get "lost" in your knowledge of the program's capabilities.

Looking to learn about new features with a specific release? It's actually really easy to locate this information!

Learn tips on the new version (2019) by visiting Help | Tip of the Day and placing a check mark next to "Only Show Tips for Version 2019" (you'll also need to select "Show Tips at Startup", if it's not already).

Access the new features list for older versions in the Help Index of the program - from the left-menu, choose Contents | Features and a list of New Features will show - all the way back to Version 7!

#FeatureFriday

#TBT Band-in-a-Box® Goes to NAMM

As we get ready to head to Summer NAMM this year, we're remembering our time their last year - we had so many visitors stop by our booth!

Click here to take a peak!

Special thanks to Mike and all the RealTracks Artists and PG Endorsers who stopped by. Stay tuned for our Booth Visitors and other happenings from Summer NAMM on July 18-20, 2019! If you find yourself at the event, come say "Hi!" to us at booth 234.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows StylePicker Feature - Finding RealTracks & MIDI SuperTracks

Did you know... Within Band-in-a-Box®, quickly find styles that use RealTracks (or MIDI SuperTracks!) in a certain range by pressing the [Other] filter button in the StylePicker window and select "Styles that contain RealTracks or MIDI SuperTracks in a number range".

#WisdomWednesday

Band-in-a-Box® Tip of the Day!

Did you know that Band-in-a-Box® will show you some helpful "Tips" when you start the program? What a great way for new program users to learn all the features of the program! Want to know Tips on just the latest version? This feature can be adjusted to just show the Tips for that too.

Maybe you're a long-time user of the program, and have this feature turned off? To access Tip of the Day (450+ available!), head to Help | Tip of the Day. Your Tip will appear right away - and you'll have the option of reading the Next Tip if you wanted too! Within this window is where you would also choose to "Show Tips at Startup" (if this is unchecked, you won't see them), or "Only Show Tips for Version 2019".

Here's a few Tips the program informed me of the last time I opened Band-in-a-Box®:

In the Piano Roll window, the 'Ghost Note' function allows you to view a single-channel, and see notes on all other channels display in light grey. This is useful when working with multi-channel tracks.

Want a bigger guitar display? Drag the bottom end of the Guitar Window to change its size, or press the SETTINGS button to set a custom size.

The Printout can use left and right MARGINS. This is useful to make printouts for small paper size or 3 hole paper that requires margins.

Edit | Nudge Chords/Melody. Let's say that you have entered a complete song chord progression, and you then realize that all of the chords starting at bar 23 are 1 beat to late. You can use this feature to slide your chords over by 1 beat.

#TipTuesday

Video - Using the Band-in-a-Box® Vocal Wizard

Check out this incredibly thorough video created by Dennis Wilkins, which explains how he uses the Band-in-a-Box® Vocal Wizard! Click here to watch..

YouTube Find - Ballad for a Travelling Lady

We did a search for Band-in-a-Box on YouTube, and look at what we found!

Video - "Ballad for a Travelling Lady" by Stefan Leipziger

What a great use of Band-in-a-Box! Check out Stefan's YouTube Channel for even more of songs he's created with the help of Band-in-a-Box.

Forum Stats
29895 Members
61 Forums
59266 Topics
500213 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
WGE, Duderanch, Rob4321, khai, ElliottF

29894 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Jim 144
Janice & Bud 135