You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#536449 - 05/12/19 06:52 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] New Windows Laptop
SCGolfer Offline

I’m going to buy a new Laptop with Windows Operating system.
Apart from disk capacity, what other specs do I need to pay attention to in order for the laptop to run BIAB fastest?
Also, what are your recommendations for those specs?
Thank you.

#536471 - 05/12/19 02:31 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: New Windows Laptop [Re: SCGolfer]
Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
1. Most RAM available for the model that you are considering.
2. Fastest SSD Drive offered.
3. Top-rated sound card. Stock laptops are known to have marginal sound cards.
YMMV
Good luck.
Just my humble opinion.

SoundClick: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1209254&content=music
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/donald-gaynor
BIAB 2019 w/current updates.

#536476 - 05/12/19 03:17 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: New Windows Laptop [Re: SCGolfer]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Expert

Fastest...
Make sure motherboard supports SSD drives speeds of Samsung 970 EVO NVMe or equivalent.
Ram...honestly not too big of a deal (for BIAB) I did not notice ANY difference between 16GB and 32GB Ram installed speed-wise.

Donny mentioned soundcard (If he means a built in ones...)I will disagree. Most laptops, even higher tier will have your Realtek chips... Which pulls BIAB just fine with Asio4All drivers.
It is MUCH easier to get a good quality, basic 24bit external card under $100 that you might have already...than to look for laptop that has something specific "built in".

My personal advice, get a laptop with at least one USB-C v2 (AKA Thunderbolt 3) port. Preferably 2 of these. If you ever decide to go external/audiophile for BIAB and need ports to be "fast", that would be your fastest. And those wonderful ports support video signal too. So when I do my BIAB choirs, I have a second monitor connected to laptop (to Thunderbolt port) with my VST's on the secod monitor so I can adjust and see stuff without constantly opening and closing windows.

#536659 - 05/14/19 08:21 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: New Windows Laptop [Re: Don Gaynor]
SCGolfer Offline

I have a Roland Duo-Capture EX connected with USB to my current laptop and my guitar and mic inputs to my computer go through that. What I’m looking for is the right computer specs so that when I use a command on my computer to preview a style or to create a song or change key or anything like that the computer does it instantly rather than taking 10 seconds every time I hit the enter key. It’s so frustratingly load a style, listen to the result, try another one, etc. etc. etc. I spend way to much time sitting there waiting. Can you tell me what I need in order to speed all this up to instantaneous? For example is it Ram, GHz, Disk technology, Intel I-5, I-7 or something else or several something’s? Thank you so much for your help.

#536661 - 05/14/19 08:26 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: New Windows Laptop [Re: Rustyspoon#]
SCGolfer Offline

I have a Roland Duo-Capture EX connected with USB to my current laptop and my guitar and mic inputs to my computer go through that. What I’m looking for is the right computer specs so that when I use a command on my computer to preview a style or to create a song or change key or anything like that the computer does it instantly rather than taking 10 seconds every time I hit the enter key. It’s so frustratingly load a style, listen to the result, try another one, etc. etc. etc. I spend way to much time sitting there waiting. Can you tell me what I need in order to speed all this up to instantaneous? For example is it Ram, GHz, Disk technology, Intel I-5, I-7 or something else or several something’s? Thank you so much for your help.

#536897 - 05/16/19 03:51 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: New Windows Laptop [Re: SCGolfer]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Expert

You will wait...
Regardless of system. I tried hard finding a way to make it faster..
Regeneration process, that is what's taking time. I think it is a little bit faster if you "preview" in stylepicker rather than opening style in main window...

In my opinion, mostly, it has to do with individual tracks being loaded from original source instead of loading them into memory (which should not be a resource issue for most modern computers)

So, each time you change a chord or such in main page, BIAB will go to the source file folders on your hard drive to OPEN->generate instead of just generating.

Some weeks ago, P.Gannon talked about speeding things up (generation)
I hope it included BIAB in that plan, not just plugin...

#536899 - 05/16/19 04:31 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: New Windows Laptop [Re: SCGolfer]
Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
Teunis Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
I recently purchased an ACER i7 2 in 1 laptop device with SSD and 8 gig RAM no moving parts. It is way over the top for my uses (I play my songs when performing, and use a guitar sim to play guitar through and not much else) but why not for the extra $100 or so. It takes only a few seconds to load and login however some applications (eg guitar sims) do take considerable time to load. That is normal behaviour. Most likely an i5 or even an i3 would be not much slower.

I have an i7 HP desktop with SSD and 16 gig of RAM which is also over the top but that is what I use to generate my songs using BIAB. Generation will take time. I imagine there is a fair bit going on in terms of computing when generating a song. Playback in BIAB is quicker assuming no regeneration but it still takes time that is the nature of computing.

My thoughts
Tony

Edited by Teunis (05/16/19 04:33 AM)

#536905 - 05/16/19 05:51 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: New Windows Laptop [Re: Teunis]
Loc: Lake Keowee, South Carolina
MountainSide Offline
Expert

Loc: Lake Keowee, South Carolina
I think RustySpoon and Teunis nailed it above.

I too went down the rabbit hole of trying to speed up regeneration of BIAB. I run a NMVE SSD hard drive with only programs on it, an over clocked i7 processor running at 4.6 GHz with no stepping or power savings ( I have since dropped back to stock 4.2GHZ ), all RT's and RD's on a separate internal 7200 rpm drive and all tunes on another internal 7200 drive and 32 GB of DDR4 RAM.

You would think that a system like this would burn through BIAB regenerations in a heartbeat, but that's not the case. Does Win10 startup faster...absolutely. Do programs load faster..absolutely. Regenerations might be a tad faster than my modified i5 system but certainly not enough to justify what I put into this new system.

In fact, I find that the initial startup of BIAB 2019 loads much slower than BIAB 2018 even with FAST STARTUP enabled.

So, live and learn. I guess I future proofed myself for a long time and for photo and video editing, this thing is great. But as far as faster regenerations, the program itself seems to be the bottleneck as it just didn't happen for me.

Jeff
Win10x64, Intel i7 7700k@4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB current builds, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive Touch, Kontakt 5.8, SampleTank 4.04

PG Music News
Polish Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows is Here!

Istnieje wiele ekscytujących nowych funkcji w Band-in-a-Box 2019!

Band-in-a-Box® z RealBand 2019: Pakiety
Band-in-a-Box® z RealBand 2019 dla Windows : Nowych Funkcji

Spanish Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 para Windows® está aquí!

Nuevas características
Todos los Paquetes

Video - Repeats & Endings Dialog Overview for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows

In our latest video, video we go over the Repeats & Endings Dialog within Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Learn more...

This video includes information on repeats, 1st/2nd endings, dc al coda, ds al coda, dc al fine, ds al fine, and Fake Sheet Mode.

Testimonial - Woody Piano Shack's Thoughts on Band-in-a-Box®

Check out our latest Video Testimonial from Woody of Woody Piano Shack! Woody uses Band-in-a-Box primarily as a training tool within his YouTube channel and private lessons. He's been a Band-in-a-Box user since the Atari ST days, and is very impressed with the evolution of our program - watch and you'll see! Click here...

Video - Audio Harmony Overview in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows

We've updated our Audio Harmony Overview video using the latest Band-in-a-Box 2019 for Windows program! Watch now...

Learn even more about Audio Harmonies using the Online Manual, here.

Danish Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 til Windows® er klar!

Pakker
Nye funktioner

Dutch Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 voor Windows® is hier!

Pakketten
Nieuwe Functies

Forum Stats
29490 Members
60 Forums
58103 Topics
488067 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
wekds3, jnasser, rdfares, Mr. Melby, Fi1

29491 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)