You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#536449 - 05/12/19 06:52 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] New Windows Laptop
SCGolfer Offline

I’m going to buy a new Laptop with Windows Operating system.
Apart from disk capacity, what other specs do I need to pay attention to in order for the laptop to run BIAB fastest?
Also, what are your recommendations for those specs?
Thank you.

#536471 - 05/12/19 02:31 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: New Windows Laptop [Re: SCGolfer]
Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
1. Most RAM available for the model that you are considering.
2. Fastest SSD Drive offered.
3. Top-rated sound card. Stock laptops are known to have marginal sound cards.
YMMV
Good luck.
Just my humble opinion.

SoundClick: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1209254&content=music
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/donald-gaynor
BIAB 2019 w/current updates.

#536476 - 05/12/19 03:17 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: New Windows Laptop [Re: SCGolfer]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Expert

Fastest...
Make sure motherboard supports SSD drives speeds of Samsung 970 EVO NVMe or equivalent.
Ram...honestly not too big of a deal (for BIAB) I did not notice ANY difference between 16GB and 32GB Ram installed speed-wise.

Donny mentioned soundcard (If he means a built in ones...)I will disagree. Most laptops, even higher tier will have your Realtek chips... Which pulls BIAB just fine with Asio4All drivers.
It is MUCH easier to get a good quality, basic 24bit external card under $100 that you might have already...than to look for laptop that has something specific "built in".

My personal advice, get a laptop with at least one USB-C v2 (AKA Thunderbolt 3) port. Preferably 2 of these. If you ever decide to go external/audiophile for BIAB and need ports to be "fast", that would be your fastest. And those wonderful ports support video signal too. So when I do my BIAB choirs, I have a second monitor connected to laptop (to Thunderbolt port) with my VST's on the secod monitor so I can adjust and see stuff without constantly opening and closing windows.

#536659 - 05/14/19 08:21 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: New Windows Laptop [Re: Don Gaynor]
SCGolfer Offline

I have a Roland Duo-Capture EX connected with USB to my current laptop and my guitar and mic inputs to my computer go through that. What I’m looking for is the right computer specs so that when I use a command on my computer to preview a style or to create a song or change key or anything like that the computer does it instantly rather than taking 10 seconds every time I hit the enter key. It’s so frustratingly load a style, listen to the result, try another one, etc. etc. etc. I spend way to much time sitting there waiting. Can you tell me what I need in order to speed all this up to instantaneous? For example is it Ram, GHz, Disk technology, Intel I-5, I-7 or something else or several something’s? Thank you so much for your help.

#536661 - 05/14/19 08:26 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: New Windows Laptop [Re: Rustyspoon#]
SCGolfer Offline

I have a Roland Duo-Capture EX connected with USB to my current laptop and my guitar and mic inputs to my computer go through that. What I’m looking for is the right computer specs so that when I use a command on my computer to preview a style or to create a song or change key or anything like that the computer does it instantly rather than taking 10 seconds every time I hit the enter key. It’s so frustratingly load a style, listen to the result, try another one, etc. etc. etc. I spend way to much time sitting there waiting. Can you tell me what I need in order to speed all this up to instantaneous? For example is it Ram, GHz, Disk technology, Intel I-5, I-7 or something else or several something’s? Thank you so much for your help.

#536897 - 05/16/19 03:51 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: New Windows Laptop [Re: SCGolfer]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Expert

You will wait...
Regardless of system. I tried hard finding a way to make it faster..
Regeneration process, that is what's taking time. I think it is a little bit faster if you "preview" in stylepicker rather than opening style in main window...

In my opinion, mostly, it has to do with individual tracks being loaded from original source instead of loading them into memory (which should not be a resource issue for most modern computers)

So, each time you change a chord or such in main page, BIAB will go to the source file folders on your hard drive to OPEN->generate instead of just generating.

Some weeks ago, P.Gannon talked about speeding things up (generation)
I hope it included BIAB in that plan, not just plugin...

#536899 - 05/16/19 04:31 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: New Windows Laptop [Re: SCGolfer]
Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
Teunis Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
I recently purchased an ACER i7 2 in 1 laptop device with SSD and 8 gig RAM no moving parts. It is way over the top for my uses (I play my songs when performing, and use a guitar sim to play guitar through and not much else) but why not for the extra $100 or so. It takes only a few seconds to load and login however some applications (eg guitar sims) do take considerable time to load. That is normal behaviour. Most likely an i5 or even an i3 would be not much slower.

I have an i7 HP desktop with SSD and 16 gig of RAM which is also over the top but that is what I use to generate my songs using BIAB. Generation will take time. I imagine there is a fair bit going on in terms of computing when generating a song. Playback in BIAB is quicker assuming no regeneration but it still takes time that is the nature of computing.

My thoughts
Tony

Edited by Teunis (05/16/19 04:33 AM)

#536905 - 05/16/19 05:51 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: New Windows Laptop [Re: Teunis]
Loc: Lake Keowee, South Carolina
MountainSide Offline
Expert

Loc: Lake Keowee, South Carolina
I think RustySpoon and Teunis nailed it above.

I too went down the rabbit hole of trying to speed up regeneration of BIAB. I run a NMVE SSD hard drive with only programs on it, an over clocked i7 processor running at 4.6 GHz with no stepping or power savings ( I have since dropped back to stock 4.2GHZ ), all RT's and RD's on a separate internal 7200 rpm drive and all tunes on another internal 7200 drive and 32 GB of DDR4 RAM.

You would think that a system like this would burn through BIAB regenerations in a heartbeat, but that's not the case. Does Win10 startup faster...absolutely. Do programs load faster..absolutely. Regenerations might be a tad faster than my modified i5 system but certainly not enough to justify what I put into this new system.

In fact, I find that the initial startup of BIAB 2019 loads much slower than BIAB 2018 even with FAST STARTUP enabled.

So, live and learn. I guess I future proofed myself for a long time and for photo and video editing, this thing is great. But as far as faster regenerations, the program itself seems to be the bottleneck as it just didn't happen for me.

Jeff
Win10x64, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB current builds, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive Touch, Kontakt 5.8, SampleTank 4.05

#545825 - 07/17/19 07:18 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: New Windows Laptop [Re: SCGolfer]
Loc: Hong Kong
lambada Online   embarrased
Expert

Loc: Hong Kong
Thanks, for this and other threads. Very informative.

My current notebook can't take a bigger drive, so I'm stuck plugging a USB drive in to run Realtracks. It's a USB 3 port, so it's fast, but it's a real drag plugging it all in every time I use it, along with a mouse, audio interface and various other stuff. I might as well carry a desktop around with me.

I'm thinking about a new notebook and looked at various top end choices but they're so expensive. Being in HK, I think I'll just grab something reasonably priced in the computer markets. I'm thinking a 1TB SSD drive, a built in mechanical Hard Drive, 16 Gb or Ram and several USB ports on it. Also it has to be very quiet as I want to record on it. This is the stickiest problem.

I'm running BIAB 2019, Reaper, Izotope etc. Also Samples.
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic

#545830 - 07/17/19 07:51 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: New Windows Laptop [Re: SCGolfer]
Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Most laptops do not have room inside for both an SSD boot drive and an additional hard drive. You want the SSD, for speed, lack of noise, and battery life. Therefore I think you do not want a hard drive.

If you get a big enough SSD, just put BIAB on that (unless you have the audiophile version of BIAB).

EDIT I see there are earlier posts in this thread; I just read and responded to that last one. The most important factor in a computer for speed in generating a BIAB song is, some of us think, the CPU. Get the fastest you can. Second would be the speed of the storage device, and the SSD will cover that nicely. Further down the priority is size and speed of RAM, and at the bottom is graphics.

Edited by Matt Finley (07/17/19 07:56 PM)
BIAB 2019 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Cakewalk, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

PG Music News
Just Released: Xtra Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box for Windows!

164 amazing new RealStyles await you in Xtra Styles PAK 7! We've dreamed up some great new arrangements for your songwriting, production, and teaching needs in four volumes: Jazz 7, Country 7, Rock/Pop 7, and Americana 2.

Get all 164 new RealStyles in the All Xtra Styles PAK 7 for only $29 until September 15, 2019! (Reg. $49)

Specific genre packages are also available for $15 each!

For more information and to listen to demos, click here!

Band-in-a-Box® Features List!

Every version release of Band-in-a-Box® adds loads of new features and enhancements to the program, which we're sure can sometimes get "lost" in your knowledge of the program's capabilities.

Looking to learn about new features with a specific release? It's actually really easy to locate this information!

Learn tips on the new version (2019) by visiting Help | Tip of the Day and placing a check mark next to "Only Show Tips for Version 2019" (you'll also need to select "Show Tips at Startup", if it's not already).

Access the new features list for older versions in the Help Index of the program - from the left-menu, choose Contents | Features and a list of New Features will show - all the way back to Version 7!

#FeatureFriday

#TBT Band-in-a-Box® Goes to NAMM

As we get ready to head to Summer NAMM this year, we're remembering our time their last year - we had so many visitors stop by our booth!

Click here to take a peak!

Special thanks to Mike and all the RealTracks Artists and PG Endorsers who stopped by. Stay tuned for our Booth Visitors and other happenings from Summer NAMM on July 18-20, 2019! If you find yourself at the event, come say "Hi!" to us at booth 234.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows StylePicker Feature - Finding RealTracks & MIDI SuperTracks

Did you know... Within Band-in-a-Box®, quickly find styles that use RealTracks (or MIDI SuperTracks!) in a certain range by pressing the [Other] filter button in the StylePicker window and select "Styles that contain RealTracks or MIDI SuperTracks in a number range".

#WisdomWednesday

Band-in-a-Box® Tip of the Day!

Did you know that Band-in-a-Box® will show you some helpful "Tips" when you start the program? What a great way for new program users to learn all the features of the program! Want to know Tips on just the latest version? This feature can be adjusted to just show the Tips for that too.

Maybe you're a long-time user of the program, and have this feature turned off? To access Tip of the Day (450+ available!), head to Help | Tip of the Day. Your Tip will appear right away - and you'll have the option of reading the Next Tip if you wanted too! Within this window is where you would also choose to "Show Tips at Startup" (if this is unchecked, you won't see them), or "Only Show Tips for Version 2019".

Here's a few Tips the program informed me of the last time I opened Band-in-a-Box®:

In the Piano Roll window, the 'Ghost Note' function allows you to view a single-channel, and see notes on all other channels display in light grey. This is useful when working with multi-channel tracks.

Want a bigger guitar display? Drag the bottom end of the Guitar Window to change its size, or press the SETTINGS button to set a custom size.

The Printout can use left and right MARGINS. This is useful to make printouts for small paper size or 3 hole paper that requires margins.

Edit | Nudge Chords/Melody. Let's say that you have entered a complete song chord progression, and you then realize that all of the chords starting at bar 23 are 1 beat to late. You can use this feature to slide your chords over by 1 beat.

#TipTuesday

Video - Using the Band-in-a-Box® Vocal Wizard

Check out this incredibly thorough video created by Dennis Wilkins, which explains how he uses the Band-in-a-Box® Vocal Wizard! Click here to watch..

YouTube Find - Ballad for a Travelling Lady

We did a search for Band-in-a-Box on YouTube, and look at what we found!

Video - "Ballad for a Travelling Lady" by Stefan Leipziger

What a great use of Band-in-a-Box! Check out Stefan's YouTube Channel for even more of songs he's created with the help of Band-in-a-Box.

Forum Stats
29893 Members
61 Forums
59252 Topics
500104 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Rob4321, ElliottF, English77, envo99, AxelS

29893 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Jim 144
Janice & Bud 137