Print Thread
Go To
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
LPman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I have been improvising on my piano Keyboard while using-midi cables
to record my keyboard playing for years. 2 years ago I got a 2003 Yamaha PSR-273 keyboard. So I could play with drums and it's featured drum A+B fill-ins. Unfortunately the drums and piano keyboard notes ended up blended on the same midi track. I am using Fruity Loop Studio 12 with a USB Uno Midi Interface.

The Fruity Loop Settings : Midi input /output device

Set Song Marker = 9
Generator muting= 10
Toggle switch = on

this will mask the drums, which will have to be added later.
I have looked a long time for this solution, but found the solution on my own. I don't have a website to make a link of my screen shot so I put the screen shot image in my google drive in the link below:

[img]https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HiY9EQN_9BSLJNGpX1OOrZo2sf-nkAoQ[/img]

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I am not familiar with any of your hardware or software so I may be way off base here. It sounds like you are recording on the same MIDI channel and track.

1-Set FL up to record one track with MIDI channel one and using your keyboard to play your part with the keyboard sending out data one MIDI channel one.

2-Set another/different FL track to record using MIDI channel 10 and your keyboard sending out drum data on MIDI channel 10.

In other words you must match your sending and receiving MIDI channels every time you record.

I hope this helps and good luck..

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
LPman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I am not familiar with any of your hardware or software so I may be way off base here. It sounds like you are recording on the same MIDI channel and track.

1-Set FL up to record one track with MIDI channel one and using your keyboard to play your part with the keyboard sending out data one MIDI channel one.

2-Set another/different FL track to record using MIDI channel 10 and your keyboard sending out drum data on MIDI channel 10.

In other words you must match your sending and receiving MIDI channels every time you record.

I hope this helps and good luck..

Hi MarioD
I tried to look for a free or cheapest 16 midi track software recorder for my (Windows 7) computer. No Luck there. There was no vst (to find online) for my FL studio that would solve this record 16 midi channel problem.

Some documentation I read said you can't record 16 midi channels on 16 midi tracks simultaneously.

Expert
Expert
Hi.
If saving your midi file
Maybe you are saving your midi file as type 0 , that is all channels on one track.

If you save as midi type 1 you will get each channel on a separate track.

As a mater of interest BIAB puts all imported midi on the Melody track , with multi channels that is like type 0 .

In Realband you get the option to import to separate tracks like type 1. This is still true if you import a type 0 midi, it will offer to split it apart to separate tracks.
I don’t know but I suspect Fruity loops (FL Studio) will have this option as well.

Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
LPman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
There is are no features on my piano keyboard to save a midi file.

My piano keyboard only streams midi output / input

manual psr 273-275

Expert
Expert
Hi
Ok in that case you need to setup 16 midi tracks in fruity loops and set each track to its own channel.
Normally I would send midi track I to channel one, 2 to 2 and so on, less chance of getting lost that way.
Remember of course that in GM channel 10 will be reserved for Drums set sounds.

Mike

LPman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Mike Head
Hi
Ok in that case you need to setup 16 midi tracks in fruity loops and set each track to its own channel.
Normally I would send midi track I to channel one, 2 to 2 and so on, less chance of getting lost that way.
Remember of course that in GM channel 10 will be reserved for Drums set sounds.

Mike

Thanks Mike
I wish Could find some documentation to do that, or better a FLP file sample for FL studio 12

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Maybe this will help:

https://www.musictech.net/tutorials/fl-studio-tutorial-midi-1/

Also google/bing MIDI recording in FL will bring up other tutorials.

Mike and I are saying the same thing in that you have to set up the MIDI channels in both your keyboard and FL.

Note that depending on your audio/MIDI interface you can record 16 or more channels simultaneously, but you would need that many different MIDI inputs and players!

Have you tried my original suggestion? That is how I record MIDI, usually one track at a time. If JonD or BobH are here I can record two different MIDI track simultaneously. OR if you can split your keyboard into different zones then you can record 2 or more MIDI tracks with different channels simultaneously.

Here is how record MIDI when I'm alone. Track 1 MIDI channel one I may put down a bass line. Track 2 MIDI channel one I might put down a piano line, etc. Note that because I am using totally different tracks and sounds I can use MIDI channel 1 again as the tracks will not interfere with each other. As Mike indicated MIDI channel 10 is reserved for drums.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
LPman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks Mike and Mario,
I'll check that out whistle

Veteran
Veteran
I just checked the Yamaha manual and it does transmit 16 channels but I'll bet it's using Midi Type 0 meaning it imports initially onto one track in a sequencer. If you can't figure out how to make FL Studio separate the channels Real Band will. If you have any of the recent Biab packages you already have RB. When you import a Midi Type 0 file RB pops up a window asking if you want to split it out. Say yes. That's it.

I'm continually surprised that so many folks never even look at RB. It's a pretty good 48 track audio/midi recording program and is easy to learn. It also opens up Biab files directly and can generate Biab tracks using the same styles Biab does.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
LPman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
OK.... So the problem is the old 2003 Yamaha keyboard. It does not have a root, or any features to separate the channels it is sending.

The drums also are not configured for Realband or Fruity Loops Studio which is a drag. Which means Yamaha didn't want their drums to follow regular midi/out mapping protocol

I am improvising playing the Yamaha keyboard while touching drum fill-ins on the fly. That changes quite drastically playing music improvisation.

The problem is not saving a midi file between Type 0 or Type 1

I have not found one video that shows even a more expensive keyboard playing improvisation while playing fill-in drum features that a computer can record the whole midi event!

For my old Yamaha PSR-273 I am proudly stuck with my original solution.

Thanks for all the replays.

Expert
Expert
In the real early days of Yamaha keyboards and MIDI one had to remap the drums going to the Yamaha keyboard. Yamaha used channel 16 not channel 10 for drums.

I don’t know if this could be a part of your issue but what I’m reading I doubt it.

This is going back some time but it was an issue I used to have to deal with.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
This was copied from page 66 of the US edition of the Yamaha PSR-275/PSR-273 owner's manual:
Quote:
Each percussion voice uses one note.
The MIDI Note # and Note are actually one octave lower than keyboard Note # and Note. For example, in “109: Standard Kit 1”, the “Seq Click H” (Note# 36/Note C1) corresponds to (Note# 24/Note C0).

Based on the quote, try transposing the drum channel by +12. If that doesn't work try transposing by -12.

+++ HERE +++ is a link to download the Yamaha owner manual. Pages 66 and 67 lists the drum sounds and what notes to play for each drum set.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
LPman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
This was copied from page 66 of the US edition of the Yamaha PSR-275/PSR-273 owner's manual:
Quote:
Each percussion voice uses one note.
The MIDI Note # and Note are actually one octave lower than keyboard Note # and Note. For example, in “109: Standard Kit 1”, the “Seq Click H” (Note# 36/Note C1) corresponds to (Note# 24/Note C0).

Based on the quote, try transposing the drum channel by +12. If that doesn't work try transposing by -12.

+++ HERE +++ is a link to download the Yamaha owner manual. Pages 66 and 67 lists the drum sounds and what notes to play for each drum set.

Thank-you Jim Fogle

Yes I went through manual,as well. And if I wanted my computer to send drum sounds or other instruments to the Yamaha keyboard, as if I was a live band of multiple players those 16 channels would be fine & dandy, and very helpful as a midi input to my Yamaha Keyboard from my computer.

If I used my Yamaha keyboard for hand playing a drum kit for instance. It would send a midi output to the computer the velocity and notes to one channel.

Fruity Loops studio was able mute the drum channel 10

I did look for midi channel monitor software to verify what was coming out of my Yamaha Keyboard...
------------------------------
MIDI-OX 7.0.2 (917K 17-JUN-10)
Perhaps this will answer the question. Finally!
It is an old 2003 keyboard, perhaps not having the midi channels rooted towards a midi output for the computer; except channel 10 for the drums.

Transposing the tone +12 or - 12 for drums would not help.

Thanks for the suggestion
Jim Fogle

Last edited by LPman; 05/22/19 04:54 PM. Reason: found a midi monitor just now
LPman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
OK... So I installed a midi monitor
on my computer to test my Yamaha PSR-273 keyboard.

All voices are on channel 1
Split keyboard feature channel 1+2
Dual features channel 1+2+3

Drum player channel 9+10

I went through all settings on the Yamaha keyboard ... No sending midi output changes

Last edited by LPman; 05/23/19 08:00 AM. Reason: clearer sentences
Expert
Expert
Hi

Quote “OK.... So the problem is the old 2003 Yamaha keyboard. It does not have a root, or any features to separate the channels it is sending.”

This is quite normal the keyboard sends its midi in one single stream. It is up to the daw how it treats that data. You then need to set your daw / EG. Realband to 16 midi channels on 16 tracks as said before. Track 1 ch 1, track 2 ch 2 etc, each track will contain the mid data for the instrument voice (patch) sent on that channel.
Sorry I cant make it any clearer.
Mike

Last edited by Mike Head; 05/23/19 02:21 AM.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Mike is spot on so I will repeat, try this while in your DAW:

MIDI track one - Enable record - choose a piano sound - play your keyboard in all voice mode, channel one, while recording in your DAW. Don't worry about timing or errors just record something. Disable record in this track.

MIDI track two - Enable record - choose a bass sound - play your keyboard in all voice mode, channel one, while recording in your DAW. Don't worry about timing or errors just record something. Disable record in this track.

Now in your DAW you should have two recorded MIDI tracks so when you play them back you should hear your piano and bass parts.

If this doesn't happen post the MIDI files so we can take a look at them.

LPman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I found this in the PG-Forum
13. How do I record multiple MIDI or Audio tracks simultaneously, or send different tracks to separate ports?

If you are recording MIDI, RealBand will not record on multiple tracks, but you can record to one track and then use the Edit | Extract Channels to Tracks command to split the track into multiple tracks. This works if there is multiple channel information in the MIDI Stream. Make sure you have each of the MIDI input ports you wish to use selected in the MIDI Driver Setup dialog

--------------------------

So I was successful: with Realband
Track 1 set to Midi channel1

Track 9 set to Midi channel9

Track 10 set to Midi channel10

I recorded on track 10 turning on the drum machine on the Yamaha Keyboard, while playing piano notes. Both drums and piano playing was placed on one midi track...

I used the command: Extract channels to tracks...

I got my piano playing on a separate midi track; plus two new drum midi tracks that were set to channel's 9 & 10

I reset the given new track from track 9 which was set to channel 9; that I reset to channel 10.

(Note)
The Yamaha drum machine player sends drum data on both channel 9 & 10

So when I played back the recorded midi drum tracks most of the drum sounds were correct.

It was a good idea for me to download the midi monitor to see what channel's my Yamaha keyboard produced.

The Extract midi channels to separate tracks was the feature solution that was missing.

No ports needed adjusting

All is well now....

Last edited by LPman; 05/23/19 07:52 AM. Reason: clearer sentences
Veteran
Veteran
I see you got this fixed.

Yep.... no need to comment other than to say, you learn something every time you run into a difficult problem like this.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
A common term for people learning and then finally understanding how midi works is midiot. Haha, I love that. We're all midiots...

This stuff WILL drive you crazy and I'm happy you got it going because I feel your pain. I think all of us do because it's certainly not obvious at all.

Going forward, if you like the idea of playing with an arranger keyboard consider moving up to a pro level one. I do mostly band gigging so I would rarely use an arranger on a gig but I've owned a Korg Pa1xPro for years and just picked up a used Pa3x. The current new one is the Pa4x Fantastic keyboard but too expensive for me. The newer Yamaha PSR S700 or 900 series is great and so is the newer Roland BK9. I'm cheap too so I never buy my toys new, everything is used and it takes patience to find a good deal but they always pop up.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,646
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193