Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
A winning write, arrangement, production and performance. What a song this could be for the Oak Ridge Boys. Excellent across the board and as always, enjoyed my listen a lot. Floyd, Bud and Janice - PGMusic should send you guys out on a national tour. I'll volunteer to run sound and be the back seat driver to annoy the bus driver.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 05/22/19 05:00 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Hey there Floyd, this is marvelous! I found this very easy to listen and I really dug the chord progression. Adding the strings to this is a nice touch. Wonderful vocals too. Great work!

Thanks for having a listen, Joe...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
First-this could EASILY be on the radio!

Nothing I like hearing more than THAT!

Quote:

I think it's really impressive how you are creating art in a way that would be very relatable to pretty much anyone. People fill in the blanks. THEY know what it means to THEM. You are obviously able to write with needed details...either needed details or omission. Whatever serves the song. It takes a lot of skill to recognize which is needed. smile

As a songwriter, it is nice to hear that you feel I write "relatable" songs...

Quote:

I've always been a fan of how you used rhyme. I realize I bring this up fairly often; but you effortlessly place them where needed...end, internal, you name it. You make it happen. I just think it's awesome! lol

And I appreciate your appreciation of that aspect of the craft...

Quote:

Now, for the feel and musicality of the song. Talk about a throwback, then a throwforward?! It starts very vintage sounding with the use of your keys sound. Then the drums brings you right up to today. Brilliant. There's a lot of little things going on to create interest. So cool! Placement of the strings was perfection!

This is, in fact, my favorite part of the review... I wanted this to have the feel of "Trisha Yearwood doing a Diane Warren song" (that is the "idea" anyway), but I ALSO wanted it to have the feel of a Brett Young song. So for you to pick out that might be a throwback, but then feels like "today"... is music to my ears!!

Quote:

Whoever this "Janettes" group is, is doing a great job! wink

I'm sure the janettes Thank You for that!!

Quote:

Great song, well done. I can't answer "Where Do You Start", but I didn't want it to end. wink

smile smile smile

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Yep... agree... good stuff.

Like the clap track. You know that's hot stuff in Nashtown now.....!

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
What to say? We knew from the get go that participating in this would be fun, and I'll say it, an honor.

Even though your writes are obviously way strong enough to be recorded by the "star" it's hard to imagine this without a floyd jane vocal.

Strong, powerful and emotive. All of that stuff in spades.

Janice enjoyed adding her part and Bud enjoyed hearing her work it up...in the kitchen smile

Wowser!!!!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
WOW!!! What a beautiful ballad!!! Is there no limit to FJ's musical arsenal?? The arrangement and melody absolutely KILL!! And the vocal is so rich textured and heartfelt. ALWAYS a plus to have the Janettes along!! A beautiful song about one of life's most eternal and most difficult questions! Great one Floyd!!! Take care. Greg

Greg - coming from a guy who writes the best ballads around - and sings them with more rich texture and heartfeltness (I made that word up!)... I could not ask for more... Thanks!!!

User Showcase
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Where do I start, your ability to come up with melody lines is truly insprirational. the beat really gives it a contempary feel,and what can I say about the marvalous backing vocals.another killer track from start to finish.The production as always is spot on .thanks for sharing Fj

Os Windows Biab 2018. studio one pro 3 ozone 8 focusrite 214 se electronics Gemini mic
User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
Floyd,

Sweet tune . . . you’re at the top of your game vocally here on this one. I’ll give a shout out as well for your back up singer—nice job on the harmonies. So easy to listen to this one. Smooth, smooth, smooth . . . enjoyed it.

My best to you,

Deej

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim
Well done...
You certainly know how write a catchy heartache song...
I enjoyed it.

Thanks, Jim...

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Floyd,
Emotionally charged; the chorus is long but your vocal so nuanced that the build to "where do you start"never lets up.
And those harmonies- beautiful!
I also really like the transition from chorus to the last verse.
A very fine heartfelt way to ask that question.

Robert

Thanks for having a listen, Robert...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
I absolutely love your phrasing and melodies in this one.

great write and nice choice of instruments,

I really like the smooth piano ballad, it's on my next one

(guess when he finished your session, he headed up here to do mine)

seamless and beautiful harmonies

I love the way that you've recorded this, I could hear it as a straight up

country ballad also.

The accolades are well deserved and earned

you da man,

Kenny

Kenny - always nice to get a thumbs up from someone who is good at what they are "thumbing"... Your melodies are some of the best around, so it is pleasing that you enjoyed one of mine... looking forward to your next one...

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
My favorite lines are easily:

don't have a clue what broken hearts do
while they wait for the healing of time

I love the strings but the electric piano seemed to me to be the magic of the song.

Criticism? LOL, I'm not worthy. Seriously.

TM - Thanks. It is always nice (for a songwriter) to have lines pointed out as favorites... I do so many productions that "feature" an acoustic guitar (as do most on these boards) that switching it up once in a while with a piano (or e. piano) helps keep things a bit more "fresh"... and this one just felt like the e. piano and strings were the right setting...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
hi Floyd you never let me down another great production awesome work thanks eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Floyd,

I really like the sound of this a lot. Very rich and warm. Sounds truly "live" in the studio. Great selection of tracks. Love that piano.

Another winner bro!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I have run out of adjectives describing how good you are.

It has been previously said that this is radio ready. I agree and in fact I would much rather listen to songs like this than anything on the radio today.

You both should be very proud of this one.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
What a cool chord progression Floyd. Very easy to get wrapped up in the song. Loved the way you delivered the vocal. Just perfect. As always love the way you can make the instruments blend so well together but still be able to pick out each one so clearly. Such a cool mix. Well done...

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
My Oh My. That's a lot of words that need a sweeping melody. You certainly delivered with the range to accomplish. Maybe even more importantly, you never seem to forget that the vocal is also part of the rhythm section. Your "beat" is every bit as effective as the drums and "beats" you worked into the arrangement. A very satisfying listen.

Thanks, Tangmo... I'm a big believer in the cadence and rhythm and prosody of a song being as much a part of the "quality" of a write as the lyric and/or the melody...so nice to have that notes...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Great vocals on a great tune Floyd! Loved the phrasing of the lines! Super high quality lyrics in this! Drum choice in this sounds great for the tune! Super work with the BG Vox! Impressive in every way! Thanks, Torrey

Thanks, Torrey - I really appreciate that - and appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
HI Floyd ...

I see the "bar setter" has raised that bar just a bit more.

As always, your songs and their delivery is so pro. Not only are your lyrics some of the very besy on the forum, but your sense of production/arrangement is second to none. Loved this!

When that kick drum started near the beginning, the song just took of and soared, never losing it's high flight along the way. Simply great.

Alan

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Wonderful song, Floyd! But heartbreaking as well, because it reminded me of a break-up I had with a woman many years ago. I guess that is one of the reasons behind making art and songs: touching other peoples life in - sometimes - unexpected ways.

You are a true artist and you make captivating art with your music and songs!

Will

Will - that is very nice of you to say. Thanks for stopping by and having a listen...

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
A question we'll always ask ourselves. Awesome song, thanks for sharing!

Thanks, Ember...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
FJ & Janice,
Smooth collaboration!
Nice mixture of styles. Acoustics work very well with the R&B synth beats! Electric piano fits perfectly (I like it a lot). Clever set of lyrics, a bit sad. But hey, most of us been there. Vocals and production are top tier.

Comments... If I was mr.Boss on this one, I would make Janice louder on choruses. Maybe not louder... more presence/upfront. Just a matter of taste smile

Tune rocks!
Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

Misha - thanks for the listen. Glad that some aspects of it worked for you...

....thanks for taking the time to make a suggestion - always appreciated. However, I will have to disagree in this case. The intent of background harmonies in this style of song are to give those parts (chorus mostly) a fuller, fatter sound...a "sweetening"... and not to "showcase the harmonies". They should not "have a personality" (as in "hearing more Janice" - I'm sure you know how much a Janice-fan I am). In fact, in this case, I took the harmonies that J&B sent - which included the processing that Bud adds - and hit them with a Nectar preset that "diffused" them, spread 'em out more...to make them blend even more into that "sweetening" background. I did go back and listen intently after your comment. I found them to be right where I feel they should be...

wash, rinse, repeat

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well, that just gave me the shivers. A terrific song delivered with amazing passion, Floyd. Beautiful vocals both. The pro production is gentle, just right for the emotions expressed. A very enjoyable listen.

Cheers
John

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,539
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200