User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
Hi, all:

Here’s another collaboration with John Vaughan, though a little different sound than some of our other efforts. I was shooting for a Van Morrison retro vibe, while still keeping it contemporary to some degree . . . a high bar that I likely fell well short of . . . but for better or worse, here’s what I got. Thanks in advance for the listen and feedback.

Here’s the song:

Just Like Love

Here are the lyrics:

Angels don't fall from heaven,
not when they have wings to fly.
Those colours in the rainbow
they ain’t painted by some guy.

Somethings are meant to be.
Somethings come naturally.
Just like love.
Just like love.

Sunshine and rain grow flowers.
Well, I wish love grew that way.
From the shore the tide will flow,
but it comes back everyday.

Just like love.
Just like love.

You can see love,
and you can feel love—
it’s just like love ought to be.
And when you see love,
when you feel love,
then love will set you free.

Nobody tells the wind how to blow,
and you walk before you run.
One thing I know for sure, love,
is someday you’ll find someone.

Just like love.
Just like love.

And here’s the band:

Drums: RealDrums JazzFunkMovin^2 HH, RdSnr
Bass: Real 683, Pop Half Notes
Guitar 1: Real 2905, Rhythm Bright Blues
Guitar 2: Real 2934, Rhythm Folky Sync
Guitar 3: Real 1770, Rhythm Jazz Fund Movin Chords
Saxes: Real 587 Beat Rock and Real 587 Beat Rock (Bluesy)
Backup Singers: Real 3063

2019© John Vaughan/DJ Lekich

Last edited by Deej56; 05/23/19 08:13 PM.
Deej56 #537956 05/24/19 12:12 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
What a mover! Pure rocking dance music. Great lyric that sounds "naturally" delivered with your high and vulnerable voice. My soul, when you hit that last "nat", I about jumped out of my chair. Dang! You seem also to be getting a better hang of those pesky endings. This one satisfies. Hard to say for sure, but this is my favorite of yours...at the moment, at least.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
Deej56 #537957 05/24/19 12:13 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej,
I think you have the vibe pretty well sorted.
It's a really cool song.
The accent guitar on the left is pretty cool though the soul/Sax/Motown variant was a little quieter and brighter - maybe a high pass filter would get that if you wanted it.
You'll have to tame the vocals though as John gets pretty hot & harsh on some louder notes.
Cool, cool song.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Deej56 #537961 05/24/19 01:00 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej,

What a well written and produced song. A very cool Springteen-like feel to the arrangement. Excellent vocal as well.

I really enjoyed what you both have presented here.

Bob

Deej56 #537981 05/24/19 03:39 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej,

A nice vibe to this. Good production and mix - though as ray mentioned there are a few spots where the vocal gets slightly "hot" - it is an excellent vocal (as always).

There were things about the lyric that I found confusing.
You say
"Somethings are meant to be.
Just like love.
Just like love."

...and then say
"Sunshine and rain grow flowers.
Well, I wish love grew that way."

...which seems to say, at first, that love is "natural"...and then, sunshine and flowers are natural... but love is not (it's "different" somehow).
I thought it interrupted the flow of your message.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Deej,

A nice vibe to this. Good production and mix - though as ray mentioned there are a few spots where the vocal gets slightly "hot" - it is an excellent vocal (as always).

There were things about the lyric that I found confusing.
You say
Just like love.
Just like love."

...and then say
"Sunshine and rain grow flowers.
Well, I wish love grew that way."

...which seems to say, at first, that love is "natural"...and then, sunshine and flowers are natural... but love is not (it's "different" somehow).
I thought it interrupted the flow of your message.

fj

far be it from me to question reason and flow

I agree with all floyd says here and that

I love the feel good vibe, it does make me think of Van

great vocal (where might you guys be from?)

It's a very enjoyable song, like an AM radio classic

Kenny

Deej56 #537996 05/24/19 06:02 AM
User Showcase
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
I really this one...
I think you captured that Van Morrison vibe very well...
Good lyrics, melody, & feeling...
Great job!

Jim
†=☮&♥
Deej56 #537999 05/24/19 06:25 AM
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
This was a really touching song. I'm really enjoying all the collabs people are posting up. It's really cool to see how people can join forces to make such excellent art together.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Ember
Deej56 #538031 05/24/19 11:58 AM
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
What a tune! Very catchy, and a solid write. Super professional mix job too. Sounds really crisp and vibrant. I wouldn't bat an eyelash if I heard this on the radio.

Thanks for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
Deej56 #538048 05/24/19 05:23 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
That's one of the best efforts I've heard on here. Great voice and solid work all the way around!

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
Deej56 #538052 05/24/19 06:35 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Deej,

This is a fantastic listen. You and John have created some truly outstanding songs and this is way up there in the stratosphere with the best of them.

Your arrangement of this song and your singing of it is professional through and through. I would love to have your ability!

In case this is useful information, and I sincerely hope that I'm not interfering, I agree with floyd. The line "I wish love grew that way" took me out of the lyrics for a second. To me, this lyric phrase came across as a negative comment in amongst a sea of positivity that was created by the arrangement, the vibe, your and John's other lyrics and your singing. Did you try something like.... "that's the power of nature's way" or maybe something like "when nature comes out to play"? As an alternative thought, since sun and rain come from the heaven's, maybe using "heaven" or "heaven's" is a good linking word in line 2.

The above said, please keep in mind that it's just my thinking on one small aspect. I liked the song a lot and really enjoyed listening to it.

If I was asked to summarise my listening journey into a single word, I'd say.... "Brilliant!"

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Deej56 #538055 05/24/19 07:22 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I had to go back and listen to/read the lyrics.
I paid no heed when I 1st listened as the vocal & melody had that nice 60s pop sheen that meant there was no need to delve.
It's a rarity for me as I'm obsessed with lyrics but some pop tunes don't warrant the scrutiny - they are songs where words are a peg to hang the melody from and the only thing of importance with them is that the words to the hook have some modicum of sense or are complete nonsense.
The chorus works and the verses are just nice ways to work up to the next chorus.
Sorry if I've belittled the lyric -
Just like love.
Just like love."
tells me it's a pop song lyric of the cappuccino froth variety - needs to be there but just something to float on top.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Deej56 #538057 05/24/19 07:53 PM
User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
Tangmo, rayc, Bob, Floyd, Kenny, Jim, Ember, Deryk, Tunemonger, and Noel:

Thank you all for the spin, kind feedback and helpful suggestions.

rayc: Your ears are spot on as usual, and, yes, the vocal gets a bit “hot” or, as I would say, “screechy” (LOL) in spots—just the nature of my vocal at times . . . and ultimately a flaw in my technical abilities to tone that down. I really need to spend some time educating myself better on how to EQ. My current technique consists of me moving those little dots around until I think it sounds better . . . and that usually gets me into trouble. smile I kind of left things alone on this recording . . . but will revisit. Thanks, Floyd and Kenny for pointing out the same.

Floyd, Kenny and Noel: As for the lyric, I totally get the point of view on the second line of the second verse—great feedback. For me, though, I never took that line as being antithetical to the premise. I read it as saying love isn’t as easy as growing flowers . . . which is a very different thing than saying love isn’t natural. To further the point, if I were to reverse the sentiment to say love “grows” the same way like the sun and rain grow flowers . . . would that come off as a bit naive or simplistic?

But that doesn’t really matter . . . just the fact that it has created this discussion warrants tweaking it. So I’ll circle back with John and see what we come up with. It’s an easy line to change, I think.

Terrific and really helpful feedback all . . . this is the stuff that helps us all get better, so my utmost thanks to each of you.

Best regards,

Deej

P.S. Kenny: Regarding where we are from: John lives in the U.K. up in the Lakeland district, while I’m in the Northern California—a town called Mill Valley in the Bay Area.

Deej56 #538067 05/24/19 10:44 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
It's the difference between "comes" and "grows". It's the difference between falling in love and loving. If there's a "weakness" in the lyric, it's that he waited too long to say the same thing in a different way--but say it again in a different way he eventually did. Just another POV and another set of ears talking.

Ears talking?

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
Deej56 #538116 05/25/19 05:43 AM
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Nice work Deej56, Fantastic selection of instruments here and I dig the overall timbres. Love the background vocals too. Keep it up!

Cheers,
Joe
Deej56 #538206 05/25/19 03:57 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very cool backtrack. Loved the guitar track on this song. Super vocal. Sax was cool as well. Well done..

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
Deej56 #538438 05/27/19 10:09 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
We listen to Van a LOT and you did a fine job of capturing the vibe of many of his tunes.

The sax was a nice touch to add again to the "Van Vibe."

No parsing out here...we just enjoyed the tune in toto.

Nice!

J&B

Deej56 #538445 05/27/19 11:07 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
DJ Lekich, John
Nice collaboration and production!
Tight mix and excellent vocals. I believe you captured the classic spirit of Pop music in this.

Thank you for posting!

Misha.

Deej56 #538449 05/27/19 12:12 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej, this does indeed sound very much like a Van tune and I would have said that immediatly upon hearing even without your description! Great job on this! I especially liked the vocals and horn parts! Thanks, Torrey

Deej56 #539388 06/03/19 04:24 PM
User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
Tangmo, Joe, Scott, Janice & Bud, Misha and Torrey:

Sorry for the delayed reply, but had family in town and was challenged to find time to spend on the board. But belated thanks for giving this one a spin and for the kind comments. It’s very much appreciated.

My best to you each,

Deej

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,402
Posts732,575
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200