Options
Index
#538121 - 05/25/19 09:23 AM [User Showcase] Rust On The Rails
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Rust On The Rails

A lifetime love of trains lead me (Bud) to attempt the writing of my first autobiographical song. It’s unconventional in many ways but, hey, it’s all about having fun.

Yeah, yeah, I know if you’ve gotta explain your song you’re in trouble! But if not familiar with the verse three imagery (and interested) this 28 second video shows what I watched as a kid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN9GxmtfX90

Thank you Janice for your support in my tedious efforts to jam four vignettes over many years into a three minute song smile Thanks to floyd for the thoughtful and helpful mix counsel and to Noel for our song structure discussions. And as always to PG Music and this community.

Oh, and pardon me but I couldn’t resist the SC photo of me smile at eight years old.

We always appreciate your time to listen and comment.

Vocal: Janice > Rodes NT1 > Scarlett 212 > Logic Pro X
Bass: RT 518 Electric, Pop HalfNotes (multiple comps)
Drums: RD Nashville EV 8ths
Guitar: RT 538 Electric, Rhythm PopBelieveHeld Direct Input (multiple comps)
Piano: MST 1809: Acoustic, Rhythm CountryBalladJohn
Piano: MST 1887: Acoustic, Solo-acc CountryPopJohn
Harmonica: RT 2857 Background CountryPopJellyRoll (multiple comps)
Harmonica: RT 2854 Background CountryPopJellyRoll (multiple comps)

Effects: Nectar 2, CLA Drums, CLA Bass, CLA Guitar, CLA Unplugged, Neutron 2 and Logic Pro X Grand Steinway sound
Mix: Logic Pro X
Mastering: Logic Channel EQ > Waves LinMB > Ozone 8 Imager > Ozone 8 Maximizer > Ozone Tonal Balance

Rust On The Rails

Verse 1
A child sits on a worn store bench next to his daddy
he stares at the dirt path leading to the train station
nearby the postmaster loads the wooden mail cart
the kid waits to chase him in the hot Georgia sun

Verse 2
when older the boy rides his bike down to the station
sittin’ on the loading dock he eats a brown bag lunch
men in fedoras ‘n mama’s with strollers wait in line
the conductor’s circled by colored dots from his punch

Verse 3
years later the young man visits the station house
his old postmaster’s there hanging a mailbag on a crane
the freight train slows down but no longer stops
its hook snatches the bag, he sees little stays the same

Bridge
now an old man, eyes grown dim, he gazes down the line
the rusting rails shimmer and taper into distant pines

Turnaround

Verse 4
standing in the shadow of the leaning water tank
his thoughts are broken by a crow with its caw
the tracks bear no train, only faded memories
a station house that’s nothing but crumbling brick walls

the tracks bear no train, only faded memories

© 2019 Janice and Bud Merritt

#538122 - 05/25/19 09:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: Rust On The Rails [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina

Man, this is great you guys.

The sound is incredibly rich and warm. Thoroughly professional.

Super track! Love it!

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#538132 - 05/25/19 11:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: Rust On The Rails [Re: David Snyder]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Man, this is great you guys.

The sound is incredibly rich and warm. Thoroughly professional.

Super track! Love it!

Thank you David.

J&B

#538138 - 05/25/19 12:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: Rust On The Rails [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Woodstock, NY
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Janice & Bud,

This is some incredible Americana... A great song, sung by a great vocalist.

The mix and instrumentation on this song is truly outstanding. So nuanced and layered with rich tones - it is the sound that I think we all have in our heads and try to achieve. Unbelievably good.

You both have raised the bar again...

Bob

#538141 - 05/25/19 12:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: Rust On The Rails [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Texas
Jim Offline
Expert

Loc: Texas
Beautiful sounds...
Stirring some my own memories...
I enjoyed first your autobiographical musical work & ...
I love Janice's voice & delivery.

#538146 - 05/25/19 01:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: Rust On The Rails [Re: Janice & Bud]
F.M.M. Offline
Expert

hi guys perfect vocal this is excellent mix so crisp clear awesome thanks eric
AMD (TM) 8150 3.60 GHz Eight Core Processor 64 bit windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card delta 1010 pci card 500 ssd drive 3 other drives guitars 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100 pedal Carvin SRS Studio reference series

#538157 - 05/25/19 02:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: Rust On The Rails [Re: rsdean]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Janice & Bud,

This is some incredible Americana... A great song, sung by a great vocalist.

The mix and instrumentation on this song is truly outstanding. So nuanced and layered with rich tones - it is the sound that I think we all have in our heads and try to achieve. Unbelievably good.

You both have raised the bar again...

Bob

Hey, coming from the forum Americana Master we are even more appreciative of your comments. Thank you big time!

J&B

#538167 - 05/25/19 03:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: Rust On The Rails [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Denmark
Will Josef Offline
Expert

Loc: Denmark
What a great song, wonderful performance and flawless production. Very well done!

The lyrics reminded me about George Hunters "Train Watching":

"The beast was thundering along, hissing lots of steam
And belching black smoke, a young boy's dream.
We stood real close, with our jaws all slack,
The passing wind near knocked us back.

Golly Gee! That was some sight to behold!
I'll probably remember it when I get old."

Thanks a lot for sharing!
Will

#538177 - 05/25/19 04:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: Rust On The Rails [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maryland
Great imagery delivered by a killer voice. Really enjoyed it!

#538195 - 05/25/19 06:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: Rust On The Rails [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
You two are pros at not only singing and production but at setting up the perfect visuals. These lyrics are outstanding and of course Janice's vocals are fantastic.

This is better than virtually all of the music on today's commercial radio!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#538204 - 05/25/19 06:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: Rust On The Rails [Re: Jim]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Jim
Beautiful sounds...
Stirring some my own memories...
I enjoyed first your autobiographical musical work & ...
I love Janice's voice & delivery.

Thanks Jim. If we’ve stirred some memories then mission accomplished!

J&B

#538229 - 05/26/19 01:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: Rust On The Rails [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
It's a very clear sketch of recollections.
Almost carries the smells as well.
Excellent vocals on top of a very evocative backing.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#538230 - 05/26/19 01:37 AM [User Showcase] Re: Rust On The Rails [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: France
Chris37 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: France
Hi Janice and Bud,
Even if I don't understand each word of this song (because I'm french), I feel all the nostalgia there's in it !
Thanks for sharing this great song. Christian

Edited by Chris37 (05/26/19 02:43 AM)

#538233 - 05/26/19 02:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: Rust On The Rails [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Birchwood Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Hi Janice and Bud,

Melancholic song, performed in an excellent way, or many ways; the clearness of the instruments, the beautiful voice, and the nice lyrics.
Makes you longing to yesterday...

Bye,
Hans

#538244 - 05/26/19 06:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: Rust On The Rails [Re: Janice & Bud]
Tangmo Online   content
Expert

You'll have to forgive me for not really recognizing this "song-form". I've got nothing really to compare it to that jumps to mind more-so than 'opera'. What great little pictures laid out on the table in order, full of detail but still a little smokey.

The Band sounds right, and Janice's vocals wrap around these stellar lines punctuating the sense of loss in the telling. Unique to my ears, and a beautiful listen.
BIAB 2020 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#538250 - 05/26/19 08:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: Rust On The Rails [Re: F.M.M.]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi guys perfect vocal this is excellent mix so crisp clear awesome thanks eric

Thanks Eric and we appreciate you mentioning the mix.

J&B

#538253 - 05/26/19 08:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: Rust On The Rails [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
What a cool song. I can totally relate to the lyrics in this song as I grew up about a half a block from the tracks. Lots of very dangerous adventures played in those yards. Abandoned buildings, turnarounds for the old steam engines. Stirred up some very old memories.

The backtrack and instrument selection was so perfect for the song. That harmonica boy was it cool.

Janice's voice was absolutely excellent. Such feeling. Such a nice listen. Well done....

#538275 - 05/26/19 01:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: Rust On The Rails [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Janice & Bud,

The first thing that stands out is the clarity and sound - beautiful work on the mix & production.

Janice - as usual is superb, with lovely feeling in the vocal, evocative lyrics, some masterful story telling, and also a nice album cover photo.

The harmonica sounds excellent and was a great choice for the song.

Wonderful.

Peter

#538285 - 05/26/19 02:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: Rust On The Rails [Re: Will Josef]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Will Josef
What a great song, wonderful performance and flawless production. Very well done!

The lyrics reminded me about George Hunters "Train Watching":

"The beast was thundering along, hissing lots of steam
And belching black smoke, a young boy's dream.
We stood real close, with our jaws all slack,
The passing wind near knocked us back.

Golly Gee! That was some sight to behold!
I'll probably remember it when I get old."

Thanks a lot for sharing!
Will

What a thoughtful reply! We went and read that poem and several others by him. Thanks!

J&B

#538318 - 05/26/19 05:44 PM [User Showcase] Re: Rust On The Rails [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
I have never heard any better production on this site......such a wonderful, deep soundstage!!! The harmonica sings so sweetly, but not as sweet as Janice (AMAZING VOCAL!!!!). A really nice tale of a forgotten place, like so many these days. OUTSTANDING!!!! Take care. Greg

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

PG Music News
Video: Band-in-a-Box® - Xtra Styles PAK 9 Overview & Demos

Xtra Styles PAK 9 includes 200 NEW RealStyles for Rock-Pop, Jazz, Country, and Folk & Beyond!

There are 50 new RealStyles for each genre, with MultiStyles included in each genre too!

Learn more about loading and using Xtra Styles PAK 9 in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 and listen to the demos for the 200 new RealStyles in Xtra Styles PAK 9 with our latest video: Band-in-a-Box® - Xtra Styles PAK 9: Overview & Demos.

Add Xtra Styles PAK 9 to your band for just $29 until June 30th! Order here.

Windows user? Click here for Windows purchase links and details.

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2020 Updated!

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2020 has been updated with a small Free Update Patch that can be downloaded here.

Video: Band-in-a-Box® - Loops-with-Style PAK 2 Overview & Demos

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 is packed with 100 NEW Loops & 50 NEW Styles, including new gospel & folk categories!

Use these new Styles and Loops directly in your Band-in-a-Box® songs to access all their B substyle loops, or load these acidized loops directly into your DAW that supports acid info!

See how easy it is to load and use these Loops in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 and listen to the demos for these new Loops & Styles when you watch our latest video: Band-in-a-Box® - Loops-with-Style PAK 2 Overview & Demos.

Add Loops-with-Style PAK 2 today for just $19! Learn more and purchase here.

Haven't purchased Loops-with-Styles yet? Get the entire collection for only $29 when you bundle Loops-with-Style PAK 1 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2 for only $29! That's 100 Styles and 200 Loops for Band-in-a-Box® for just $29! Order now.

Mac user? Click here for Mac purchase links and details.

NEW Add-ons for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 - Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2!

We're delighted to be adding 200 GROUNDBREAKING RealStyles to the Band-in-a-Box® collection with Xtra Styles PAK 9!

Our new Rock-Pop additions include neo soul with vocals, classic ska with a horn section, a psychedelic sixties pop ballad, heavier action-scene cinematic metal, post-punk folk rock, six-substyle gospel pop MultiStyle with vocals, and more!

With the latest Jazz Xtra Styles, we've added everything from quarter-feel jazz blues to New Orleans Gospel to jazzy disco funk and gentle bossa folk pop, and more! We've also included a brand-new (huge!) ten-substyle "changes" jazz swing MultiStyle with three different soloist options!

The newest Country RealTracks are a real treat! We've fused folk and Americana instruments with the country sounds you know and love: ethereal and songwriter country ballads, a country rock march, country pop with layered cellos, a country soul groove, and much, much more! The included six-substyle summertime country pop MultiStyle will help you create your perfect summertime hit!

Plus, we've added to our Folk & Beyond collection with our Xtra Styles PAK 9 release! There are 50 fresh new styles, including a Cajun jaw harp boogie, cinematic folk with strings, a modern Celtic folk reel, a gentle three-guitar folk ballad, delta blues with shaker - the list goes on! Add Folk & Beyond 2 and you'll also receive a brand-new eight-part mountain folk MultiStyle!

There are 50 new RealStyles in each genre - get them ALL for only $29 until June 30th! Learn more, listen to demos and order here.

But wait... there's MORE!

We've also rolled out 50 NEW Styles and 100 NEW Loops in Loops-with-Style PAK 2!
Use these new Styles and Loops directly in your Band-in-a-Box® songs to access all their B substyle loops, or load these acidized loops directly into your DAW that supports acid info! Genres include Electronic, Funk, Hip Hop, Jazz, Pop, R&B, Rock, World, plus we're introducing two new genre categories - Gospel and Folk!

Add Loops-with-Style PAK 2 today for just $19! Learn more and purchase here.

Haven't purchased Loops-with-Styles yet? Get the entire collection for only $29 when you bundle Loops-with-Style PAK 1 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2 for only $29! That's 100 Styles and 200 Loops for Band-in-a-Box® for just $29! Order now.

Mac User? Click here for Mac details and purchase links.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows is Xtra Ready!

We never stop! The latest free patch update for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows readies the program for the just-launched Xtra Styles PAK 9 (on sale until June 30th - learn more here)!

Update to build 721 and you'll see that we've improved the step-advancing notes display, updated the key command criteria for looping bars from the chordsheet, fixed email client integration, and more.

If you are a Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows user, you'll definitely want to update to the latest free patch update!

Learn more about Band-in-a-Box® 2020 build 721 for Windows and download it here.

#TBT Band-in-a-Box Finds!

I don't know about everyone here, but now that I've settled in to our "new normal" I've taken to rearranging and dusting off many things in order to keep busy and productive!

I'm picking up old hobbies, picking up clutter around the house, and as it turns out - finding forgotten picks!

We snagged these gems many, many, many years ago after The NAMM Show one winter. Check out the old Band-in-a-Box logo! Click here...

Have any of you come across something nostalgic like this these days? Let's see it!
(remember the first Audiophile version?!)

-Callie
Team Marketing

Review - Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac … WOW!

"Dr. Dave" Walker (Dr. Dave On Music) recently received Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac, and he absolutely loves it!

He's written his thoughts in detail, which can (and definitely should) be read here: Band-in-a-Box 2020 for Mac … WOW!

"Band-in-a-Box 2020 is a huge advance over even BB2019, with easier to use, more powerful features that give you more information while creating more musical results. You have never had more control of more features which are now much easier to find. The move forward with this version is astonishing. Again … WOW!

My very highest recommendation. Just upgrade! Or if for some strange reason you don’t have it yet, BUY THIS ONE! It will change your musical life!"
-"Dr. Dave" Walker

Thank you for the review, Dr. Dave!

Forum Stats
32176 Members
65 Forums
64370 Topics
545694 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Malty Chew, shirschfeld, TheJawoo, Amra, willipeter

32176 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)