Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#538589 05/28/19 12:41 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh
K
kjtl Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Is there a Mac 2019 Beta available to test?

kjtl #538616 05/28/19 09:20 PM
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Not yet, should be close though, hopefully 64bit and a Biab Plugin version like windows.

kjtl #538711 05/29/19 12:20 PM
Expert
Expert
I'd certainly like to see it when ready.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
kjtl #539503 06/04/19 09:29 AM
Y
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Y
Yea what the heck?! The MAC version usually comes out a bit after the Windows but this is getting a little ridiculous. Im tired of seeing the "needs updated for compatibility" warning... and the "recent" disappearing (a known flaw)

Im assuming that the new version will fix these these things... love the program and use it every day but its still pretty cumbersome in ways! So I always get the upgrade and ready to get it if it ever comes out for Mac????

:-(

Pipeline #539926 06/07/19 01:11 PM
K
kjtl Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
Not yet, should be close though, hopefully 64bit and a Biab Plugin version like windows.

Just an ETA would work for me. I'm planning to upgrade this year.

kjtl #539964 06/07/19 06:12 PM
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: kjtl

One can always hope. Normally it's around February for Windows and May for the Mac but this version will have to be a major upgrade—perhaps not features (we can always hope) but a simple recompile won't work.

Some parts of the GUI never really made the transition to OS X. Not an issue for old users like I who remember System & Finder 4 (mid 1980s) but it's way past being long in the tooth.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
M
M
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran
Originally Posted By: kjtl

One can always hope.

Indeed so. Time is ticking, as the new OS is now in the hands of early adopters, who get to pick whether to use the new OS or BIAB.

But frankly, if PGmusic was not aware of how important the 64 bit update was (which would seem very unlikely to me), at this point, additional pressure would not likely to help much.

This is not exactly an overnight job, especially for an application that is likely to use quite a few legacy system APIs (the application code, in my experience, is far less of a problem; they already made it through the Mac PowerPC -> Intel transition and run on Intel 64 bit for Window, so they should know all the tricky areas).

Matt N #540085 06/08/19 01:08 PM
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Matt N
... as the new OS is now in the hands of early adopters, who get to pick whether to use the new OS or BIAB....

No it is not.

It's in the hands of developers. No one in their right mind would install the first developer beta of any OS onto a machine where actual work needs to be done. Although always true, the certain knowledge that many apps will flat out not work in this release should be its own caution.

Now, when the Public Beta is released, expect a small flood of those who just haven't been paying attention to start posting that BIAB doesn't work anymore.

The "They ought to..." threads have been going on for a couple of years now. Yes, really. I agree that they should have done this in 2012 or 2015... certainly in the 2018 release that came out after the announcement that OS 10.15 would drop support for 32 bit (Apple announced that for Yosemite, too, then kicked the can). They haven't. Now that the 10.15 beta is out, it makes perfect sense not to release BIAB 2019 till PG Music knows it's going to work. Time to get over it.

True "early adopters" are those who move to the OS around release date.

Beta doesn't count and if you insist on running it, you should really have it installed on a removable external. We'll all be reading that "Xxxxx doesn't run on the Catalina beta..." over and over and over and... but much more so this year. Like everyone's support dept., there's no harm in ignoring that nonsense. No one supports running apps over OS Anything.beta — ever.

The last Application bloodbath of this magnitude was when OS 10.5 was released with no Classic Mode support. We can go back to the G3/System 8, System 7.1 (that was huge) and so on...

BTW, I have an Apple Developer's account and spent some time at the WWDC this week. So far, nothing runs well in the current beta if at all... as usual... but worse. I'll have to spend around $1,500 on software updates before I can even think of going there for real. I will have been running the Developers' and Public Beta from an external for a long time before I make the plunge, however.

kjtl #540121 06/08/19 07:27 PM
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
The Win version didn't have to go to 64bit, it was the Mac that made it.
I love Mac but it just &^%$me off every time I update it something don't run anymore or you have to get the next version for something else to run.
Right up to Win10 you can run Win95 apps from 25 years ago.
I stopped at 10.9 that's it for me, through all the cats, mountain ranges and now islands there always something that don't work anymore.
It has Window's hardware now, everything should just keep working, it must be a nightmare for developers trying to keep up, how many little guys have been killed off not being able to keep up with Apple's demands ?

EDIT: I'm just downloading Digital Performer

"Important Notice for macOS Mojave (10.14) Users"

Last edited by Pipeline; 06/08/19 07:46 PM.
M
M
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran
Originally Posted By: Matt N
... as the new OS is now in the hands of early adopters, who get to pick whether to use the new OS or BIAB....

No it is not.

It's in the hands of developers. No one in their right mind would install the first developer beta of any OS onto a machine where actual work needs to be done.

Except for people whose "actual work" involves e.g. updating apps for said new OS.

And for the most part, this group knows that there are various hitches involved in running on such new OS releases. So these are more likely to be more tolerant of initial glitches than the next waves of users.

Quote:
I agree that they should have done this in 2012 or 2015...

Technically, they could have started even a bit earlier than that. I think everything they'd need was in place by 2009.

Quote:
Now that the 10.15 beta is out, it makes perfect sense not to release BIAB 2019 till PG Music knows it's going to work.

I don't think anybody is arguing for them to release a version not known to work reliably. But internal testing has its limits, and for major changes like this, it's likely that their first release will have a number of issues, and the sooner they'll learn about these, the better.

Quote:
BTW, I have an Apple Developer's account and spent some time at the WWDC this week. So far, nothing runs well in the current beta if at all... as usual... but worse.

For professional reasons, I tend to switch most of my usage to each year's beta OS starting around WWDC. I'm sure that the end of 32 bit support will cause more issues than usual this year, but apart from that, the OS seems in comparative relative shape to past years at the same time.

kjtl #541493 06/17/19 03:50 PM
Apprentice
Apprentice
Despite the challenges of working on a beta OS and a beta for BIAB I would like to be a beta user and see how the plug-in to Logic performs

kjtl #546814 07/25/19 04:36 PM
Y
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Y
uggg.. i come on about every 2 weeks to see.. and NOTHING...crap... years more than half over and NADA for the MAC users? maybe an update from the company? PLEASE take my money. :-)

kjtl #546940 07/26/19 11:28 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Yendog, haven't you been reading what the Applemeisters in this thread have written? Apple is working on a new OS. How can PGM come out with a new Mac version of Biab before Apple is done with the OS? You do know OS stands for Operating System, right? Nothing works without a clean, tested OS.

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
R
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
R
Apple releases a new version of OSX every year - this is not some sort of new OS that PG Music have to wait and see what it needs. Apple have been very clear about the fact the all apps will need to be 64 bit for almost ten years, yet PG Music have continued to build on an archaic technical platform that cannot be “ported” to 64 bit. They should have rebuilt BiaB on the Cocoa framework many years ago, but apparently couldn’t be bothered. They should also tell their customers their roadmap for bringing BiaB into the 21st century. Every other successful software company does that sort of thing but BiaB’s customers, despite paying top dollar for the software, are left in the dark.

kjtl #547040 07/27/19 01:55 AM
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
I'm as anxious as anyone for the '19 version on Mac, but I'd rather endure the wait than get a buggy release. I'm running the beta of the new Mac OS on my other computer, and it's been unusually glitchy - and I've been in the beta program for a number of years. I can't recall a prior release that caused as many conflicts and odd quirks as this one.

Unrelated to BIAB, but I'm running the new iOs beta on my phone as well, and it's a train wreck so far. First time I've ever regretted upgrading early.

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Roger Brown
I'm as anxious as anyone for the '19 version on Mac, but I'd rather endure the wait than get a buggy release.

My thoughts exactly !

- Jay

MacPro 5,1/12 core@3.46GHz -- OS X 10.14.6 -- ATI 7970 -- 32 Gig RAM -- Crucial 500GB OS SSD -- Samsung EVO 1TB Audio/Sample SSD -- BIAB 2023 -- Logic Pro X -- Cubase Elements 11 -- Too many plugins
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Roger Brown
I'm as anxious as anyone for the '19 version on Mac, but I'd rather endure the wait than get a buggy release. I'm running the beta of the new Mac OS on my other computer, and it's been unusually glitchy - and I've been in the beta program for a number of years. I can't recall a prior release that caused as many conflicts and odd quirks as this one.
I normally have an iMac set aside for the Developer Beta which I install on day 1.

This year I bought an iMac Pro. While I could install the 10.15 beta on one of my external Thunderbolt drives, I just didn't see the point. Like 10.8.2 and 10.4 before it, I knew this was a watershed release — except I don't have any active development going on. I decided to let the rest of the world work this one out; I'll upgrade after the official release.

Quote:
Unrelated to BIAB, but I'm running the new iOs beta on my phone as well, and it's a train wreck so far. First time I've ever regretted upgrading early.
Yea... never on my iPhone. Now that I gig on my iPad, I decided to pass on the iOS 13 beta completely. Pointless to install it on my Touch 6.

R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
I have to say, having been running the beta of 10.15 for a while now, that A) I don't think it's a huge leap forward, and B) what changes/enhancements that have been made aren't ones I like at all. It almost makes me wonder if Apple is getting to the point of outsmarting themselves.

kjtl #547305 07/29/19 08:06 AM
Apprentice
Apprentice
Having recently bought BiaB 2018 0n Mac, while I am interested if there is a new version, having seen what the new Mac OS has as new features I am now thinking just stay with BiaB 2018. It does more than I ever imagined and will probably take me until BiaB 2020 to fully get the hang of.

Tim.

kjtl #547335 07/29/19 01:09 PM
Expert
Expert
For some of us, not remaining current isn't an option.

OTOH, I do have older iMacs that I could use ... but I like my available desk space and don't want to give it up.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,455
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195