Go To
#538680 05/29/19 09:59 AM
Beginners Forum
sj1 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi,

Can anyone suggest a good style to use for Moondance?

BIAB for Windows 2023 (1006)
Beginners Forum
D
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
Style Picker suggests 4/4 Swing at 135bpm.

Now you can choose from a large number of styles that match these parameters.
It just depends on what you want it to sound like. BIAB does not produce an exact replica of a song, but gives you the option to create your own.

If you want to duplicate a known song, check the web for a Karaoke track or a midi equivalent.

BIAB for Windows Version 2019 (643)
Windows 10 (1909)
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I think you can use the title of the song in style picker to search for a similar style to the title song.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Beginners Forum
sj1 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks for the comments above, I had indeed overlooked the Suggestion mechanism, and that is cool!

Still though, the resulting list is pretty long. If anyone wants to mention a favorite Style(s) they use for playing along to the Moondance progression which has a feel close to the recording, I'm all ears!

Beginners Forum
D
Apprentice
Apprentice
D
_JAZFRED.STY @ 142 works for me.... let me know if you want me to send my SGU file...

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
type in the chords to the start of the song.... then run through the various styles presented.... and choose the one that fits the best

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
There are no styles that are close to Moondance because it has a ton of song specific licks in it starting with the bass line then it has the horns and punches on the bridge. Here's a backing track I found on YouTube that illustrates this:

What are you planning on using this for? How close do you want to get to the original? Is this for playing around at home or do you gig and want this for that? If it's a gig then I would find different backing tracks online and use that, much easier than trying to create it in Biab.

Biab PG styles are not for making covers of classic songs, it's for giving you something in the "style" of classic songs to practice along with. However, you can modify a style to get closer. Take the bass line for example you can go into the Stylemaker and write in the bass line there then save it as a User Style. If you do that it has to be either an all midi style with no Real Tracks or a hybrid style with both midi and RT's. Or, you can keep one of the PG styles and write in that bass line by making the bass a midi track then freeze the track. If you don't freeze it then the next time you generate the song Biab will create it's own bass line and erase what you just did. If you create the bass line as a new Style then freezing the track is not necessary. The punches can be handled by using Shots and Holds. Check those out in the Help files. If you're brand new to the program what I just wrote is probably very confusing, just watch the video tutorials and read the manual, this is doable.

If you're like a lot of us then it's fun to see what you can do with this. You can recreate this in Biab and it's a good test for you to learn the program.

Just to add to the confusion you also have Real Band which is a 48 track DAW. You could probably find a midi file online, load that into RB and work it that way.

I just had the idea to do a Google search using Moondance and Band in a Box and found this thread from 2012. It expands on what this thread says.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=160635

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Beginners Forum
sj1 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
That's a very nice backing track, thanks for pointing it out!

FWIW, intuitively if someone were to say to me "in the style of Moondance" I feel like I'd have pretty good idea of what was intended. That would include the basic rhythm of the comp in the verses, the often walking (but not always) bass line, and the way horns and punches are used to end sections. This is not to say that I would expect to push a button in BIAB and get either the original recorded performance or even the backing track above as the output, but I would -think- that there -could be- a style that would cause a BIAB generation to which one would listen and think immediately "Oh, that's like Moondance!".

However, I say that as someone who has never authored a BIAB style, so again FWIW!

Thanks again for your reply.

Last edited by sj1; 06/10/19 03:09 AM.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Here's the thing about styles. The ones that come with the program, "factory styles" specifically cannot sound too close to a classic song because of copyright issues. But, some still do. Years ago a thread was created where us users listed the styles that matched a bunch of songs fairly well, I think we found around 50. Some of them were just the chords where PG put in different melody lines in the demo. We could hear the chords to All Of Me but with a different melody. The Herbie style uses the piano lick from Cantaloupe Island for example. The AWB style is similar to Pick Up The Pieces. Still, similar only means similar, not exact. If you want exact you have to create the style yourself.

Styles like that must be midi because you cannot write in specific rhythms, or instrument lines using Real Tracks. This is where a hybrid style can be the best way to go. The RT's sound awesome they just cannot be modified to play exact things because they're prerecorded in a studio but there's nothing stopping you from using a midi bass or midi horn lines in a hybrid style.

One thing to keep in mind, if you create a style that closely matches one song, you can't really use it for anything else, it's a one trick pony. PG gives us styles that can be used for lots of things.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Beginners Forum
M
M
Can you insert a measure of a midis bass line in a real band arrangement ? For instance, I may want a specific line played by the bass but only in a couple of measures. The real band bass lines are fine for the rest of the tune.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: mwgkeys
Can you insert a measure of a midis bass line in a real band arrangement ? For instance, I may want a specific line played by the bass but only in a couple of measures. The real band bass lines are fine for the rest of the tune.

mwgkeys, welcome to the neighborhood.

It is not possible to mix'n'match RealTracks and MIDI tracks in the same track for the same song.

However, you can have a MIDI track on one track and a RealTrack on another, and mute one/play the other at specific bars using the function key <F5> on the required bar(s).

I think this would achieve what you're looking for.

(Incidentally, friendly advice only smile : Posting a new request based on your subject would be a slightly better approach to take, as the subject line doesn't really match your requirement) Maybe that's not possible at this time though.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,584
Posts734,714
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197