Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Just thought I'd throw this out for something to think about.
An aspect that some developing songwriters may not have thought much about before...

A number of comments in my most recent song in the Showcase (Where Do You Start), have been about the "beat" of the vocal - as Tangmo referred to it - which I think is a good way to think of it. Others mention the vocal "phrasing"...

I often refer to it as Vocal Cadence or Vocal Rhythm. The vocal - or the voice, itself, actually - becomes part of "what makes a song work"... a main instrument in the sound of the song....

...which is an important aspect of Songwriting. Much of Pop music is more about this aspect of a song than any other part. Rock, too (Folk is seldom about this. Singer-songwriter, depends on the singer/songwriter).

Typically those who are best at it are, in fact, also singers and/or musician. It is a rare (talented) "lyricist only" who can get that across (in a lyric alone).

There are many good examples in Pop radio. Here is one of the all-time best... Pay attention how the "singing of the words" falls on your ear. When done right, little else is needed...

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
What a primo example. It's not about "quantizing", is it? In this song (as well as yours) there is syncopation, and singing "against" (as opposed to completely along with) the pulses in the piano rhythm. The earlier in the songwriting process you can get that "feel", the better--no matter how you tend to write. In Floyd's song, the rhythmic groove (especially at his tempo) was wide, and he "surfed" it just as she did here...but he never went over the edge, and I've not heard him do it yet. Carole King didn't sing every parallel phrase exactly the same way...and I've heard other performances that were "phrased" differently. But no matter how she chose at the moment or in rehearsal to do it, it's right and "feels" right. And it's right because she wrote it that way.

My go-to example is James Taylor's "Mexico".

Another good "method" to get this into your soul is to listen to the bass, if it's an active bass-line. Latin, Funk, whatever if it is much more than thump-thump-thump. WHERE (when) the bass licks hit, how hard, and how long they hold is maybe even more important than what notes are hit. Same with a vocal in most popular music. As long as it remains musical, the rhythm of the vocal supersedes the melody even if it doesn't replace it.

When melody, words (and their melodic delivery), and the rhythm of the vocal all work together...that's a good song--even with just a piano or guitar accompaniment. I'd agree with Floyd...the most important of those elements is the rhythm of the vocal.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Interesting thoughts and a great example! I think Diana Krall also does it well with the songs she writes.

Bud

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Man, what a GREAT topic! What has been said here is so right on.

Great stuff. I love these conversations.

*Edited to take out the confusion of what I said. smile

Last edited by HearToLearn; 05/28/19 11:47 AM.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Here is a new favorite of mine.

A GREAT example of "Vocal Rhythm" in writing!!! It makes this SOAR!

Never knew my old man's truck could even run like that
Should've known better than to take that curve so fast
Daddy pulled up, I was down in a ditch
He asked me why I did what I did

There was this girl, drink in her hand
Shootin' me a "let's get into trouble" grin
I ain't never seen somethin' so fine
And I was doin' anything to make her mine
I was out of my mind, she was out of this world
There was this girl

Some folks ask me why I still pick this guitar
They say livin' that life on the road won't get you very far
I say man you should've been down in Tupelo
Seen what was in the front row

There was this girl, beer in her hand
Shootin' me a "play a little Skynyrd" grin
She's turnin' it up, she's turnin' me on
And I'd play her anything she'd sing along
I was out of my mind, she was out of this world
There was this girl
Yeah there was this girl

Didn't know a diamond ring could cost so much (damn)
Took six months on a farm 'fore I saved up
All my drinkin' buddies still out on the town
Wonderin' why I ever settled down

But there was this girl, holdin' my hand
Shootin' me a "start a life together" grin
She's pullin' me in, she's straightenin' me out
And now I know what love is all about
I'm still out of my mind, she's still out of this world
There was this girl
Yeah, there was this girl
Yeah, there was this girl
There was this girl

Songwriters: Erik Dylan / Riley Green
There Was This Girl lyrics © Warner/Chappell Music, Inc, Peermusic Publishing

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Keep in mind...

This is NOT about how great singers sing (and phrase a song). That's a different discussion.

It's about how a song is WRITTEN using what will be "vocal rhythm" to get a lyric across.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Keep in mind...

This is NOT about how great singers sing (and phrase a song). That's a different discussion.

It's about how a song is WRITTEN using what will be "vocal rhythm" to get a lyric across.

Agreed. I went a bit of tangent there; and did not want to cause confusion by adding the other elements of the singer's interpretation.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Keep in mind...

Exactly. How does a person write even a second line (much less a second verse) if he/she doesn't know how it's going to be sung--the rhythm of the words. And it may include syllable count, but it's not limited to that. Inflection, strong and weak accents. How much time does it take to deliver that line or phrase or word--more-or-less a beat. a bar, two bars, three and a half bars? As many other considerations as can be brought to bear. And most importantly, WHY? What is about the lyric as a whole and a phrase or line in particular that merits/begs for/requires these considerations?

Take "bubble". Why does BUUUUbble sound natural in a song, but BubbLLLLe sound wonky and awkward? Neither is the way anybody says it. Those choices are worked out in the write. That's an extreme example, but I guarantee you someone has written a song and sang "bubbLLLLe" to try to match a melody. I see that lazy so-and-so in the mirror every day.

Tempo and key can be changed. Melody is malleable and is itself influenced by the rhythm of the words. The "band" can take a groove in many different directions. But the rhythm of the words in a song is what the song "is" at it's core.

I contend that if a writer doesn't make those choices in the course of writing (is unable mentally or physically to "sing" those words), then he/she hasn't written a song at all. It's a poem and wannabe song-lyric. If he/she can but his/her choices have simply been sub-par, then at least it qualifies as a song.

Last edited by Tangmo; 05/28/19 02:17 PM.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
Songwriting
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Some somewhat current bands and songs that I think have well crafted prosody:

1. Elbow - My favorite song by them is 'Magnificent': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQl5KYiiFDI

2. Kings of Leon: The End: https://youtu.be/4B-t-WDRuXQ (it's really interesting to listen to the progression of this band from noise-makers to some of my favorite songwriters with great bass lines in many of their songs. This one is pretty simple, but the prosody in the verses is great.

3. Arctic Monkeys: Do I Wanna Know: https://youtu.be/bpOSxM0rNPM Warning-suggestive imagery in the video.
The verses in this one have a great loping feel, particularly with the 'false endings' in some of the phrases, where the sentence could end, but there's another vocal lyrical hook coming in that line. These guys don't win any awards for thought provoking lyrics - but this particular song and album have lots of examples of great melody/prosody/riff connectivity.

4. Death Cab for Cutie: Last couple of albums have had great 'The Smiths' and other guitar bands from the 80's UK New Wave sound - this recent single is a great one: Northern Lights - https://youtu.be/gBdh20C287Y

5. Arcade Fire: Suburban War https://youtu.be/cNdqoQWz34E Love the prosody in this one in several sections, this is like a mini-symphony in three movements. Singer isn't necessarily that great but just listen to the lilt of the lyrics.

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Songwriting
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
This is a great video, and an awesome topic for discussion. I've always cherish vocal cadence (or vocal rhythm to the vocals) in music I love most. I know it isn't a particularly popular genre in the forums, but it's why I love hip hop and rap music. Rhythm in music in particular can make or break a song for me.

Interpol is one band I love that does this particularly well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkpgz3uQ58U

Gregory & The Hawk is another artist that scratches that itch for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0rE8dI6dRg

A Russian singer names Kuzina always does it for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvhXqRjvCfw

And a million others I can't immediately think of, but these 3 are in my heavily rotation at the moment so figured I'd share them.

Cheers,
Deryk
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I worked on a number of songs with a co writer who insisted that the syllable count in the verses match exactly. Even now when I write my own stuff and work with other writers, that sticks in the back of my mind. I don't always follow that rule but mostly I try to.

The topic of this thread goes beyond plain old syllable count into the rhythm imparted to the lyrics by the choice of words and how they are sung. The connection to what I said I think goes into... what you do in verse one.... you gotta do in the other verses too for it to really work well.

Good topic.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Thanks for sharing the Charlie Pluth video, Floyd. Haven't heard of that guy, but it's a unique example. Great pop tune that certainly will move butts! Even if it sounds programmed to an extent. Love the pre-chorus and the chorus slow down of syllables while using the rhythm of the verses. Dang it's catchy.

Songwriting
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
BTW, My ears were about 6 or 7 years old when the Carole King song came out and seemed to be in constant rotation on the stations my parents listened to. Because of Carole's bell-like vocal tone, the repeated bah-dah-domp domp, dada dah piano riff, etc. I thought it was a sunny and happy song. Wasn't until years later that I realized the gravity of the words.

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
Thanks for sharing the Charlie Pluth video, Floyd. Haven't heard of that guy, but it's a unique example. Great pop tune that certainly will move butts! Even if it sounds programmed to an extent. Love the pre-chorus and the chorus slow down of syllables while using the rhythm of the verses. Dang it's catchy.

Scott - the whole album (Voicenotes) is like that. INFECTIOUS. Very much worth many listens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQnk-h-LCpQ&list=OLAK5uy_n4uwPMsdKXpeeyXCDgMmI-p6jdx5e3Phs

Songwriting
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
For those interested, the free songwriting class that Pat Pattison teaches at Berklee goes into great detail about prosody as it relates to syllable choice and placement in the rhythmic structure. Thanks again to Noel96 for turning me on to that class 7 or 8 years ago.

https://youtu.be/OsuAkEOODt4

gives just a little taste.

Songwriting
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
You know, Floyd, listening again to this song - I could totally imagine Michael Jackson doing this song. The guitar riffs, the booty shaking bass line with just the right number of notes, etc. Did Quincy Jones produce this guy?

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
You know, Floyd, listening again to this song - I could totally imagine Michael Jackson doing this song. The guitar riffs, the booty shaking bass line with just the right number of notes, etc. Did Quincy Jones produce this guy?

He produced himself.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199