Print Thread
Go To
Songwriting
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Good info here. It is like I tell my students, learn music theory but don't let it get in the way of your playing. In other words play from your heart.

Music theory will give you more tools to work with but use those tools creatively. For example you know how to form a major scale but playing a major scale as your lead is just plain wrong. YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Songwriting
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I agree with Mario that there is some good info here. I can see this being a good video for beginners.

Cheers,
Ember
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: MarioD
For example you know how to form a major scale but playing a major scale as your lead is just plain wrong. YMMV

I see where Mario's coming from on this. A couple of the lessons posted recently give the impression that the comp chord dictates the melody and that the melody is restricted to the key being played. In other words, when the bar is a CMaj, then the melody can be found in the CMaj scale. It doesn't work that way. So many of the You Tube teachers stress patterns, as opposed to notes.
Here is an example from one of the lead sheets I posted today. Please don't be too critical, this is for in-house use:
Just As I Am Lead Sheet Part One
Look at the first four bars. What's that F note doing in bar #2? (It is part of a two note slur, if that's the term) Or the F Note in bar three? There's no F note in the G Scale. This could go on.Here's Page Two FYI:
JAIA Pt Two

Last edited by edshaw; 06/07/19 03:12 PM.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Mario,

I just play exactly what I hear in my head and it always sounds great.

Am I missing something?

smile

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
The "melody" could be found in the chords underlying it. If you are singing/playing a phrase over a C Major chord, (in the key of C) the natural melody would contain the notes in that diatonic chord. Moving to another diatonic chord in the scale would change the notes in a "natural" melodic phrase. This assumes you are drawing out the melody from the progression and without giving all credence to Key.

I think what Mario was talking about is that Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do does not a melody make (except when it does).

In reality, a melody "found" this way is not bound to the notes contained in the diatonic chord. To be "natural" it would contain only notes in the scale. The notes of the melody MAY be said, instead, to form a new chord--it doesn't so much matter if the chording instrument is playing a C maj...the addition of another note may change the chord. It depends on the note.

"Naturally" you limit those "added" notes to a note found in the C scale, but that's not "necessary" either. That's why there are "accidentals" in sheet music.

In the end, what matters is 1. Is it musical. 2. Is it "pleasing". 3. If it's not musical and/or pleasing, is it "not" for a musical reason.

Theory exists to explain what you did. Different "theorists" may even have different ways of explaining what you did. Knowing some theory helps to make more informed choices. Knowing the diatonic chords in a given key (even though I still have to look up most of them) makes "writing" SOOOO much easier than guessing what chord might come next. But it doesn't limit my chord choices. Instead, it even broadens them when I know a bit more about borrowed chords and other modes and scales.

Of course, there's another way "melody" may be found...and that's all by itself. Then the choices of any chordal or line harmonies are maybe even more informed by a knowledge of theory. Writing a progression to underpin an existing melody is a somewhat different animal than sussing out a melody from a chord progression. Most of my "stuff" does some of both.

Last edited by Tangmo; 06/07/19 06:29 PM.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
For the record...if you know how to make three chords on a guitar, you already know a little "theory". Knowing a little more is akin to knowing a few more than three chords. Nobody should let "theory" scare them, no matter where they are. I'm barely conversant in it and have to look up the specifics of most of what little I am a bit familiar with in general. BIAB is a wonderful tool to learn on (though I still wish some common music-theory aides were built into the program). Some of my latest stuff started with "experiments" in theory I picked-up, and the guy who makes these videos has been my primary "teacher". Kick him a buck a month if you can't afford more.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: edshaw
...Look at the first four bars. What's that F note doing in bar #2? (It is part of a two note slur, if that's the term) Or the F Note in bar three? There's no F note in the G Scale. This could go on.Here's Page Two FYI:

I think what you mean is that there is no F note in a G chord. The song here is in the key of C. I think "they" refer to this as a passing tone, but I am probably wrong about this. There is a F note in the C major scale, however, so it is in the "key" of C.

The same thing happened in the lead-in bar with a D note. Not present in a C chord, but present in a C major scale.

Musical. Pleasing.

(I misspoke in an earlier post and will change it now).

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Thanks for the comments and clarifications on what I posted. I'm neither the musician nor teacher some of the others on this forum are. My comment stems from watching the lead guitar teachers on line who seem to suggest that a chords, keys, and scales somehow need to match to sound good.
Example, the first bar of "A Closer Walk With Thee" is "I am weak..." In Cmaj, the notes are G - G# - A with a CMaj comp.
Where did I go wrong?

Last edited by edshaw; 06/08/19 02:39 AM.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Mario,

I just play exactly what I hear in my head and it always sounds great.

Am I missing something?

smile

NO you are not missing anything. My point was learning theory is important to know WHAT you are playing. For instance you have a C Maj7 chord and you play a G, G#,A, B lead line. This sound great so you leave it. With theory you can analyze the lead line and know that the G# and A are passing tones. The G and B are in the C Maj7 chord.

One can play great music without knowing theory or reading music. But learning music can expand your horizons. Knowing how chords are constructed and what scales go with what chords will help when composing and/or improvising.

Actually David you made my point. Play from the heart, or head, and if it sounds good it is good.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Ed, here's the way I understand it.

KEY is not a lock box. KEY relates to the "scale", but other notes (not in the scale) can exist in a piece that has been "designated" to be in the key of X. In sheet music, those would be indicated with either a #, a b, or a "natural" symbol by the note (not at the beginning of the clefs).

Technically, in sheet music, you could "write" a piece with all the notes of a G major scale, but "call it" in C major. Nothing changes except the sheet music looks wonky, and other musicians will have a hard time understanding your "explanation".

Diatonic chords are the chords based on (having the root note of/built off of) the notes in a scale. Every note in the triad is in the "key/scale". In Cmaj--C D E F G A B. Those chords will always follow the same pattern (Cmaj, Dm, Em, Fmaj, Gmaj, Am, and Bdim). Her's where the Roman Numerals and Nashville System come in handy. The seven diatonic chords in a natural Minor key follow a different "pattern", though they are also based off the root note in the minor scale. There is a reason for this, but all I know is that it works that way. Other "rules" for this pattern exist for other scales and modes.

You can't go wrong if all your chords are Diatonic to whatever scale/key you're writing in. But you may get tired of writing every song that way. Because you are not limited to diatonic chords. Same with a melody. You can't go wrong if all the notes of your melody are in the key/scale. But they all don't have to be.

I've seen enough of this guy's videos (dozens of them, by now) to believe I understand where some of your confusion comes from. He may say something like "that chord doesn't belong in the Key"...but then he goes on to explain how the chord you chose actually does fit. Maybe it's a brief key change. Maybe it's "modal interchange" or a borrowed chord. There's nothing wrong with the chord (if you like it). That info may be helpful to a lead player as well. All it is is a way to "describe" what you did, not a box to get locked into.

The "theory" is only a means by which you can make informed choices if you know what those choices are. Or you can just play the dang thing and let other people figure out what you did. If it sounds good, it is good.

Let's take all this to BIAB. YES, it's good to know what "key" you are writing in. It's very important if you want to read or print out sheet music. It's very important if you want to know what the diatonic chords are for that key. There are even some RT's that apparently more-or-less ignore the chords and just play notes in the key/scale you entered. I've found it helps in other ways as well. If you don't care about any of those things, don't worry about it, just enter your chords and have fun.

It's not important what "key" you are writing in for every chord choice, even if you know what it is. Follow your heart, head, and ear.

Songwriting
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
Interesting video...
Enjoyed it.

Jim
†=☮&♥
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Well stated, Tangmo. Again, I'm reading the majority of You Tube guitar teachers as following a certain trend in the musical tastes of the students, the kind of musicians they aspire to be. In our time, blues and rock, closely related, are the forms guitar students want to play. I don't really understand blues soloing, so can only assume these guys know what they are talking about. Blues guitar is not usually associated with traditional melody, more rhythm. I like Rod Stewart. He tends to bridge the gap.
My point is, people who follow the on line teaching ought to know they are being directed to a style. And, true enough, nothing compares with the heart felt feeling of the blues.

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
I don't know enough about blues either. I've hung out on-line with a number of very good blues musicians and have picked up (from them and elsewhere) a few "tips" and shortcuts for writing "blues". They may have been exaggerating, but they've told me there are no "wrong" notes playing blues.

From "theory" though I am aware that there are blues scales that are not Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do. And more than one of them. How those chords get built is beyond my knowledge. So is how they relate to "key". I've just been told to use a lot of Dominant 7ths and concentrate on the I, IV, and V. That's probably blues cheat-sheet for beginners. But when "they" told me this, I didn't know what they were talking about (except for the 7th chords).

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
An interesting share Mike. I am always trying to get my head around theory to help me write something a little more interesting than “3 chords and the truth”...

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,605
Posts735,009
Members38,513
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon, Xtian, michael07716
38,513 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186