OP Online Content
Veteran
Hi Folks.

Here is a recent collaboration with Ray (rayc). I think it came out
in style of pop rock ballad. Unfortunately, I was not able to do a more
creative melody, but still this was interesting project. I wanted to
try a different approach in recording vocals, as a result they are
not very balanced...this was a dual mic experiment gone sideways a
little. Constructive critique is always welcomed!
Thank you for listening!
Ray: lyrics, me: arrangement, vocals, mix.

File These Memories

Lyrics:

I’ve never been someone that you could talk to
And I communicated like a bad mime
And our life together seems like a walk through
Burning minutes while you’re still in your prime

It’s time we both just walk away
And leave these memories in the ground
Neither has anything to say
Nothing to keep us hanging round

I remember when the passion could burn through
The apathy that filled up most of the day
Now the burning leaves scars it didn’t use to
Afterward there’s nothing left to say

And leave the licence in the drawer
No point us hanging round for more

Both you and I have clearly seen this coming,
Both you and I believing it was a crime
Neither wanted to be first to start running
It seems we’ve found a mutual starting time

And filed these memories in the past
And now the used by date has passed.

I’ve never been the partner that you need
Oh no, this life’s a nightmare to walk through
That’s something which both of us should concede

Let’s file these memories in the past
Seal them in a lost yesterday
And hope the pain won’t last.

Things used:
921: Bass
2196:Piano
RealDrums: LaPopJazzLaidbackEv16
2928: Guitar
1403:Guitar
796:Guitar
2462:Piano
2146:Sax.
Recorded/mixed in Cakewalk

User Showcase
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
Since I'm a recording slob...
I can't critique your recording techniques...
But I do enjoy this collaboration with Ray...
It sounds like it could a featured song in a film noir movie!

Jim
†=☮&♥
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Misha,
You did a great job with a throw away set of lyrics.
I love the backing you've created as well as the melody.
Thanks very much.

It's a difficult process to get right and requires the energy and persistent for experimentation that you possess.
Fabulous outcome!

Last edited by rayc; 06/09/19 05:01 PM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Really awesome collab guys! Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Ember
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very cool collaboration. Super vocal and loved the lyric. Well done. Some very cool chord progressions in this song. It just flows so nice. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I enjoyed the song quite a bit - there's nothing the matter with it. Lyrics, mix, singing, instrumentation. It all worked for me.

That said, since you asked for constructive feedback... wink

I didn't like the choice of reverb for the sax - to my ears, it sounded like it was in a warehouse. I love sax drenched in reverb - just not that particular reverb. I'm sure others will disagree with me.

For vocals, I think the best thing you can do is articulate better. They were clearer in this mix than the last song I listened to, so that's an improvement. And I thought the doubling you did sounded fine (except for some nits I'll get into later).

That's not meant to be a criticism of your voice. Quite the opposite! I enjoy listening to you sing, but often have a hard time figuring out what you're saying.

Part of that is because your language is more eclectic than a typical pop song. That's great because your lyrics are interesting. But it's bad when trying to guess what you might have sung, because you're going to zig where other people zag.

For example, the lyrics:

And I communicated like a bad mime

Clever! laugh

But what I heard was:

I never been someone that you could talk to
And I communicate a guy bad mime

Similarly:

Neither wanted to be first to start running

The first line was clear, the second... not so much. The word mutual is an unusual choice, and what I heard:

Neither vanted to be first to start running
It seems ve foun a new shoe starting time

Also, watch those /W/ sounds!

In your defense... my kids complain that I can't hear them right, either. smile

A minor thing: sometimes you let a lot of vibrato get into your singing. That's fine, but don't let it creep into your background vocals. In general, background vocals should be bland so they don't detract from the foreground vocals. That generally means not quite as expressive, and no vibrato.

All said - a good song, well done.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Misha (and Ray),

Your experiment with the vocals turned out good to me. Your voice(s) sounds bright and -particularly- louder.
They fit well in your mix. I am also experimenting with stereo recording the vocals (with varying success).
But your doubling of the voices is working ok, and I know it can be very difficult to align them.

It's true what David C said about articulating, but it happens in a lot of songs. In my country they had a tv-programm about this. Making fun of what you think someone was singing and what really was sung.

The lyrics are, as always, very good, as well as the composition and performance of your song.
I think your partnership with Ray is getting succesful. Are you already working on an album?

Bye,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Good song guys!

Good lyrics from Ray and nice track from you. Love the scat at the end!

We experimented with using two mics a couple of years ago, recording the vocal with two totally different microphones and then blending during the mix, not sure if that's what you did. We stopped doing it after a couple of songs because I didn't feel it was worth it. But, always fun to experiment with different techniques. Your vocal sounded fine to me BTW.

Overall a good listen, enjoyed!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ray & Misha,

An interesting write. Dark. And pretty far along the "negative feelings" path - makes one wonder why the split took as long as it did. Sounds like it was doomed from the start. That passion didn't seem to last long.
"It’s time we both just walk away
And leave the licence in the drawer
"
That is a very original line! Cutting.
"Neither wanted to be first to start running
"
Another original...
"And now the used by date has passed."
Clever. Almost too "clever" for the tone of the rest of the song.

The melody works well to tell this story (there is something about it that seems familiar, but I can't put my finger on it). AH! after several listens it came to me...it has the sound and feel of a song from Danny O'Keefe's "Breezy Stories" album. One of my ALL-TIME favorite records. Misha, your phrasing here sounds much like Danny's on that record. IF you can find it, you might very much enjoy it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2y7exw-JNI&list=OLAK5uy_mMMEr7jZdWlRwq5R6crw8mtX2L5n2ilX8

The vocal sounded fine to me. Mixed at a good level. I thought the sax reverb was fine (referring to David's comment). The piano sounded great. Bass, too. One small nit (to my ear) is the crispness of the hi-hats. I'm not a fan of being able to hear every single hi-hat hit - that becomes distracting to the ear.

Y'all are doing interesting work together...

fj

Last edited by floyd jane; 06/09/19 05:17 AM. Reason: add link to Breezy Stories
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Misha & Ray,
A different style from your other collabs- it works for the theme of the song.
Its a sad story and that sax was a good choice for the breakup theme.
The dual mic thing is very interesting and to my ears the result here is good- it does seem louder on one channel, and maybe overall mixed a smidge louder than it needs to be.
As far as your phrasing goes, I rarely have trouble getting the lyrics- and I`m a listener that is turned off by slurred, heavily affected vocal styles.
Your accent brings so much colour I`d hate to hear you trying to sound more Anglo!

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Misa / Ray,

Great sound! Good song and an excellent mix. I really like the vocal and arrangement.

Another great collaboration!

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Jim, Thank you for taking time to listen and you feedback!
-------------
Ray, Thank you for working with me on this!
-------------
Ember, Thank you for your nice comment!
-------------
Scott, Thank you for listening and your positive comments here and on SC!
-------------
David, Thank you for listening and extensive review & honest suggestions, especially articulation! I agree with most of the great points your made! Some blurriness/muddiness comes from poor mixing. I probably should spend more time addressing stuff that can be easily addressed until I get my articulation right smile The lyrics are written by Ray, he can probably comment of it.
-----------
Hans, Thank you for positive review in the Showcase and Sc! I understood the mistake I made using two mics.
It is not so much of Stereo field that I am after, but to capture different mic characters on same vocal take. I am getting there. Need a couple of more songs to practice on, to get the process situated. ArTiCuLaTiOn!! Got it smile ! P.S. I just do this for fun, my production level is
ages away from something that would be considered to be an album. I was thinking of idea of organizing things by year and naming it something - sort of an album smile
------------
Dave, Thank you for listening and nice words! I am not giving up on 2 mic recording! I think it has a lot of potential. Example: I got two favorite mics and one captures presence very well but bassy, the other is very bright & crisp but lacks fullness. So far, it is interesting to me, if it gets frustrating, I will switch back to single mic smile
------------
FJ, Thank you for listening and your comments!
Dark! Sure! But also it gives a way out (choruses)... I do not usually do "relationship" tunes, but these lyrics had interesting twists that spoke to me. Thank you for pointing out High hats, I will look into it! And also will listen to Danny O'Keefe when I get back home.
-----------
Bob,
Thank you for listening and kind words!

Misha.

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Great vibe!!! Love the really wet vocal and sax!! I think this is my favorite of yours for the vocal sound. Really interesting and moody piece.......liked it a LOT!! Great job guys!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks folks,
Mine was the easy part. I wrote the majority of the lyric in an half hour sitting & was going to stash it with my other useless texts that may, someday, render a decent line to recycle but decided to send it to Misha as he'd turned a similar junker of mine - Hubris - into something decent.
He was up for an experiment.
All I did after that was add the final verse & chorus to meet the requirements of the backing's structure.
The tone & texture of the music is a million miles away from what I do & what I had, very vaguely & even more momentarily, considered.
For me the melodic rendering of the 1st line and the 1st chorus are worth the price of admission.
To have the rest of the song step as so well is an added bonus.
Thanks Misha.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
What a tune! A really solid collaboration, and despite the 'simple' nature to the tune, I thought it really packed a punch. Some interesting vocals and lyrics as well, and I thought the mix was really concise and professional sounding. It flows naturally, and smooth as butter.

Really well done - thanks for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Great work on this Rustyspoon and Ray! I found this very easy to listen and rhythm is easy to follow. Very captivating lyrics. Well done to both of you!

Cheers,
Joe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
"Bad mime" is worth the price of admission for us! A cool phrase amongst many others and cool lines.

Experimenting is fun. I can't recall from my 50 years of off and on recording ever having tried two mics on a vocal. Many times on acoustic guitars, etc. Interesting.
And the vocal works fine for us.

We like the melody...whether you do or not smile

And, well, you know Janice is always gonna love a scat!

The session guys sound good and you mixed them well.

The mix sounds good on our monitors...nice and open with everything occupying a good spot. We'll listen later on another system.

Well done.

J&B

scat

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Best vocals I've heard from you (I'm still new, only heard about five of your tracks), which really helps your always thought provoking lyrics. Came together nicely.

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Can a man say he "enjoyed" listening to such a sad and dark song? Sure... Why not. The backing worked well. The progression is so smooth. I'm not sure you couldn't have gotten a similar effect doubling (or tripling) the vocal track with different "EQ' and compression settings, but that might be more trouble than two mics. I'm no sound engineer.

Total package gets high marks.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Greg, Thank you for listening and extra positive feedback!
-------------
Deryk, Thank you for taking time to listen and comment on this. Still faaaar away from professional level.
Backing was all BIAB, that is why it so smooth smile

-------------
Joe, Cool! glad you liked it!
-------------
J&B Thank you for listening and your great feedback here and on SC! Actually I found it interesting using two mics for vocals. I do not use "matched" pair, quite opposite. Totally different character mics to grasp their character in one take. Probably a studio guru can get away with single mic, doubling the track and creating a different "feel"... But I think if I have 2 mics why not? smile I wanted to start a new topic on the subject, but need a bit more time to experiment.
-------------
TuneMonger, Thank you for your supportive comments!

-------------
Tangmo, Thank you! I do not think in terms of getting "better" sound, just enjoy experimenting.
It is like fishing with two fishing rods. You might get a sunfish on one, but other might get a trout....
This reminds me, got to go fishing before summer ends.
wishes wishes smile
-------------

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,468
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195