You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#540124 - 06/08/19 11:43 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Friendly warning, do not update your Sforzando plugin !
JayO Online   content
Expert

I happened to see that there was an update for Sforzando when I clicked on the "check for updates" button in the VST's UIF.
So... I installed the newest version... and lost all my BIAB HQ instrument preset settings. mad

Sforzando still shows in BIAB's instrument list, but will not open when selected from the list, and none of the BIAB HQ instrument presets work.
I suspect the latest version is 64 bit only, but can't say for certain.

The upside is that the newest version of Sforzando includes a VST 3 version, but the downside is that the latest VST 2 version is not recognized by BIAB.

The fix is to either re-install Sforzando from the installer that came with BIAB, or to use a tool like Pacifist or Suspicious Package to extract the VST 2 version from an older install pkg, and replace it in your VST plugin folder.

Hopefully this helps somebody !

Pacifist - https://www.charlessoft.com
Suspicious Package - https://www.mothersruin.com/software/SuspiciousPackage/

- Jay

#540149 - 06/09/19 08:33 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Friendly warning, do not update your Sforzando plugin ! [Re: JayO]
Loc: Sillie Con Valley, California
Mike Halloran Offline
Journeyman

Makes sense, I suppose. If I knew what Sforzando was, how it affects a BIAB user or anything else about it, I guess it would make more sense.

I agree, that BIAB being 32 bit means it doesn't work with a growing list of other apps.

#540162 - 06/09/19 10:24 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Friendly warning, do not update your Sforzando plugin ! [Re: JayO]
Loc: somewhere in outer space
w Online   content
Expert

Loc: somewhere in outer space
Thank you for the heads up JayO.

I looked in my Application's folder and there it is , " Sforzando " although it is an application not a plugin .

Where did it come from because I can't recall installing it let alone purchasing it and how is it used ?

Can it be used in any other music application such as Digital Performer or will it work only in Mac Band in a Box ?

#540166 - 06/09/19 11:23 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Friendly warning, do not update your Sforzando plugin ! [Re: JayO]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Mike,

Sforzando is an instrument player similar to Kontakt or SampleTank.

The difference is Sforzando is free. The player plays SFZ instruments. The SFZ format is an open standard that defines the behavior of a musical instrument from a set of sound recordings. The player will automatically converts SF2 soundfonts, DLS audio files or Acidized wave files into the SFZ format.

PG Music selected the Sforzando player to play PG Music's Hi-Q Instruments used with MidiSuperTracks. So anytime you select and load a MidiSuperTrack into a project the Sforzando player and pre-selected SFZ instrument are automatically loaded.

PG Music used a free SampleTank player prior to Sforzando but quit using it after the SampleTank developer quit supporting the free player. PG Music converted all Hi-Q Instruments available in SampleTank's *.tgs format to the SFZ format. So, it is possible fora user to have Hi-Q Instruments available in both the *.tgs and *.SFZ formats.

The developer, Plogue, also developed Cakewalk's instrument player, Dimension Pro. +++ HERE +++ is the homepage for Sforzando.
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 1803, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#540182 - 06/09/19 02:24 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Friendly warning, do not update your Sforzando plugin ! [Re: JayO]
JayO Online   content
Expert

Thanks Jim, perfectly summed up !

Sorry, I shouldn't have assumed that folks would know how Sforzando was integrated into BIAB, as it really is pretty seamless when selecting HQ instruments.
It's not really obvious, but you are actually selecting Sforzando as an external VST instrument, when you load the BIAB HQ sounds (which sound pretty damn good BTW).

Thanks for the link to the Sforzando homepage too, I do see it listed there as OSX64 bit only now, didn't see that before I installed the new version.

I can verify though that the newest 64 bit only VST3 and AU versions can peacefully coexist with the older 32/64 bit VST 2 version.

So... if you are so inclined... and want to get the newest VST3 and AU versions, you can move the VST2 out of your plugins folder temporarily, run the installer and then replace the new VST2 with the older version which you moved.

I also use Cubase 10, and I was curious about the VST3 version, but other than that there is really no reason to update Sforzando if it's working fine for you.

- Jay

#540364 - 06/10/19 12:21 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Friendly warning, do not update your Sforzando plugin ! [Re: JayO]
Mike Halloran Offline
Journeyman

sFz... Really? Oh dear... So someone actually made a 64 bit sFz player that's incompatible with 32 bit applications?

That's funny enough to qualify for the Darwin Awards.

Cakewalk was supposed to maintain the code but that page disappeared many years ago. I haven't used an sFz library in 20–30 years or so but would always use either the Aria or UVI players.

Current sFz Players

Hmmm... I see that the 64 bit UVI player no longer supports sFz. I wonder if Aria still does—yes, it does.
Aria Player manual

The free Aria Player can be downloaded here: https://store.makemusic.com/Downloads/Default.aspx?p=1

As for VST, PG Music recommends JBridge for the Mac. It works.

Everything's going to change soon enough.

#540396 - 06/10/19 06:28 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Friendly warning, do not update your Sforzando plugin ! [Re: JayO]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

The same developers that created the Aria engine created Sforzando. I believe the order of creation was Sforzando, Dimension Pro and Rapture (for Cakewalk) and Aria.

There is a good chance Cakewalk did not retain intellectual rights for the SFZ code when the developer left. No enhancements were made in the last few years. Neither of the players made the transition (yet) from Cakewalk to Cakewalk by BandLab.

The UVI instrument player, Falcon, supports SFZ. +++ Falcon Specs +++
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 1803, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#540406 - 06/10/19 09:57 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Friendly warning, do not update your Sforzando plugin ! [Re: JayO]
Mike Halloran Offline
Journeyman

Quote:
The UVI instrument player, Falcon, supports SFZ

Yes, it was in the link I had posted.

I just can't imagine paying $349 (or $279 on sale or whatever my upgrade price from MachFive 3 is...) just to host sFz when free players abound. Falcon's a wonderful sampler and synth engine if that's what you need. It doesn't have as many libraries as MV3 but you get a $100 coupon for UVI libraries so it kind of works out.

Speaking of MachFive 3, it's another 64 bit sampler that plays sfz (not listed but it does). It's a bit steep at $459. Worse, it hasn't been updated since 2015 — or rather, it was and became Falcon. UVI and MOTU broke off their business arrangement except that MV3 owners like I do have a courtesy upgrade path.

#540509 - 06/11/19 01:38 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Friendly warning, do not update your Sforzando plugin ! [Re: JayO]
JayO Online   content
Expert

Well... Sforzando = $0 !

Hence PG's thinking. smile
Can't blame them there. wink

I like Sforzando, and I actually use the BIAB sounds in Cubase and Logic too.

- Jay

#540603 - 06/12/19 08:25 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Friendly warning, do not update your Sforzando plugin ! [Re: JayO]
Mike Halloran Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: JayO
Well... Sforzando = $0 !

As are most others at that link.

So, next year when everything's supposed to be 64 bit, the latest Sforzando should give you no problem.

In the mean time, there are 64 bit players players that can handle both 32 bit and 64 bit now. Aria is one of them.

PG Music News
#TipTuesday - The Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Feature Browser

Don't forget about the new Feature Browser added to Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac! (and Windows)

This feature is GREAT to help you locate a feature within the program!

How does it work? Access this feature by clicking on the [?] button on the main screen of the program or pressing the / Enter keys on the Chord Sheet. This dialog lists many features of the program and allows you to browse them, find the feature by text filter, read descriptions about the feature, find how to launch the feature, access to the online information or video about the feature, and do more.

Examples of a few situations where this feature is helpful:
-You know about a feature but don't know how to find it. Just type a part of the feature name and you'll see the hotkeys, menu, and toolbar info on how to launch it. For example, if you want to launch the Chord Builder but don’t know how to do it, type "builder" in the text filter, and you will quickly find the Chord Builder.
-You are exploring available features for Band-in-a-Box. For example, if you are a guitar player, type the word "guitar" and you'll see what's available.
-You prefer "one-stop-shopping" and would like to launch features from the same dialog.
-You are learning the program and like to browse or watch videos about topics you're interested in.
-You can't remember hotkeys and want to review them.

Read more about this new feature here, or watch the video.

Don't Wait to Start with Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac - Download Now!

Want to get started with the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac right away?

Order now and start downloading Band-in-a-Box® 2020 right away!

Place your order before April and up to 50% off of your upgrade! You'll also receive a Free Bonus PAK full of amazing Add-ons, which you can upgrade to the 49-PAK for just $49 and add even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks)!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac packages page for all the purchase options available.

Having your order shipped? Your PG Music Inc. online account will list your purchase under "My Products" - you can download while you wait!

Band-in-a-Box® for Mac Patch Updates Ready! (2019 & 2020)

We've JUST released FREE Updates for existing Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2019 and 2020 program users!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Update - Build 407
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Update - Build 323

What do these include?

Summary of changes for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Update - Build 407: (get it here)
Fixed: RealDrums Quick List was empty if launched from main toolbar.
Improved: Bootup time is faster.
Fixed: It is not possible to type ^ (caret symbol for pushes) in chordsheet if using an Italian keyboard layout.
Fixed: Opening songs from older versions might misinterpret song title as ?.
Fixed: Buttons in Custom toolbar are not draggable.
Fixed: The time signature button on the main toolbar did not do anything.
Fixed: A maximum of 1990 MIDI events are loaded from a song file into the Melody or Soloist track.
Fixed: RealDrums Quick List menu item did not do anything.
Fixed: Find a Sub for RealDrums menu item did not do anything.
Fixed: Various problems with localized versions.
Fixed: Some style demos for the newest RealTracks would not play.
Fixed: Song title will be changed to ? when re-saving if it previously contained international characters like é or ©.

DAW Plugin 2.5.18
Fixed: "Open Recent" opened file chooser dialog
Fixed: Unfold feature not working with some songs
Fixed: Choruses not resetting when playback is stopped in DAW
Fixed: Chord superscripts
Fixed: Clicking zoom many times will crash standalone plugin
Fixed: Undo removes all chords after opening a song
Fixed: Buzzing sound in Studio One
Fixed: Plugin determining chord accidentals now matches main program
Fixed: Removed alert menu when sync playing tracks that are not up-to-date (generated).
Fixed: Cancelling generate made song lose "dirty" state
Fixed: All selected tracks should drag from the plugin
Fixed: Shortcut file feature not working always working. Support was also added for pgshortc.txt files
Fixed: Double clicking grey area in chord sheet started playback
Fixed: Bar highlighting skipped last chorus when the start bar is greater than 1
Fixed: Right-click on bar should first launch popup menu
Fixed: Double clicking anywhere on a track should open its picker
Added: About to File Menu
Added: "year" to plugin name
Fixed: remove sync tempo button if already synced
Fixed: improve 2 finger scroll (too fast)

Summary of changes for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Update - Build 323: (get it here)
Fixed: Bootup time is faster.
Fixed: It is not possible to type ^ (caret symbol for pushes) in chordsheet if using an Italian keyboard layout.
Fixed: Opening songs from older versions might misinterpret song title as ?.
Fixed: The time signature button on the main toolbar did not do anything.
Fixed: A maximum of 1990 MIDI events are loaded from a song file into the Melody or Soloist track.
Fixed: Various problems with localized versions.

#TBT Band-in-a-Box® 2017

Three years ago we were just rounding up our BETA testers to help finish up the testing of our Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Mac!

With that version, we redesigned the main screen GUI, added support for popular .SFZ sound format as well as PG Music’s Hi-Q sounds (sforzando SFZ Synth.), added Natural Arrangements options and Hi-Q Guitar RealCharts, applied many, many, many enhancements to the existing powerful program features, and more! Read all about Band-in-a-Box® 2017 here.

Now, three years later, we're thrilled to say that we're already done BETA testing, and weeks into the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac release! Of course, that means we're having a SALE on Upgrade packages, but only until April 30th!

Band-in-a-Box® - Trombone RealTracks!

Happy National Trombone Players Day!

To all the trombone players out there - this is a day to celebrate you (no joke...)! Not a trombone player? Good news - if you have the Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK, UltraPAK+ or Audiophile Edition, you have a two AMAZING trombone players in your band already!

Dennis Esson:
RealTracks Set 144: Dixieland – Fast Soloists
RealTracks Set 178: Dixieland - Medium Soloists

Ian McDougall:
RealTracks Set 13: Older Jazz Swing Soloists
RealTracks Set 15: Mainstream Swing
RealTracks Set 17: Bossa
RealTracks Set 19: Jazz Ballad

Welcome to the Team David!

We are thrilled to say that we've added David to our Customer Service Team here at PG Music!

You may have already noticed him - he's already made his appearance here on the Forums, chiming in with assistance and User Showcase Song Feedback.

Welcome to the team David!

Updated Song Titles Browser in Band-in-a-Box® 2020!

If you're looking for a Band-in-a-Box® Style in the feel of a familiar/popular song title, then the Song Titles Browser option in the Band-in-a-Box® StylePicker is the perfect feature for you!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2020, we’ve added 3,400 more song titles including requests from users, so there are now 14,000 titles to search from!

Just type in a familiar song title or artist name - once you have found the song, press the [OK - Find Matching Styles] button. This will take you to the StylePicker window with styles that best match the tempo, feel, and genre of the selected song title.

Didn't find the song you were searching for? Post your title request to our Wishlist forum: Songs to add to Band-in-a-Box Titles database - we think that the 3,400 new titles added with Version 2020 is proof that we're paying attention!

Learn more about the different features of the Band-in-a-Box® StylePicker here.

Forum Stats
31613 Members
65 Forums
63402 Topics
536834 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
difficulttofind, martindupras, ClemHarvey, NickyD, Judy M

31612 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 211
MarioD 195