Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
DC Ron Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I'd like to substitute MIDI drums for RealDrums on RealTrack styles but can't figure out how. Started with Force Drum Track to MIDI drums but can't load a MIDI drum preset after that. Tried the MIDI Track Picker's Choose from Presets dialogue and it doesn't seem to work. The drum preset just doesn't change. Am sure this is easy, I'm just feeling stupid and...stuck. THANK YOU!

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
Veteran
Veteran
What style are you using? I'll give it a test run.

It might be that that particular style does not have defined MIDI drum set underlying the Realdrums.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
DC Ron Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks, Noel. The drums ARE forced to MIDI, just can't seem to change styles like this...

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/0sy3cu981yxycmg/BiaB%20MIDI%20drums.JPG?dl=0[/img]

(not sure I'm embedding this image correctly)

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Once you force the drums to MIDI, you must select a drum kit (patch)

In testing, I Rt clicked on the drum track and forced the track to midi
Rt click and Select Midi Instrument from the drop down menu;
Rt Click and from the top of the menu selected Hi-Q midi patch plug in

This gave me a great sounding Sforzando VST drum kit.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: DC Ron
Thanks, Noel. The drums ARE forced to MIDI, just can't seem to change styles like this...

Note in your photo that Acoustic Piano is the patch selected - There are no drums listed in the patch drop down menu - Follow the process outlined above and you should get the drum track working.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
DC Ron Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thank you, Charlie. I am SO BAD at explaining, but let me try again...

MIDI drums play fine when I force to MIDI. And I can change drum kit patches no problem. What I can't do is change to the drum preset/patterns shown in the lower right corner of the screenshot and have the drumming pattern change.

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I see what you're saying. I experience the same thing. I can force the drums to midi, select a kit and the drum track plays a pattern. But regardless of what kit from another style, the same pattern plays. If I change a drum kit from standard rock kit to a Brushes kit, I have to also change the patch but again, it plays the same pattern over my chord chart.

DC Ron Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks for verifying my issue! Can't help but think there's a way to do this...

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
DC Ron Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Anyone had success at inserting MIDI drums? Thx!

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
Veteran
Veteran
Ask yourself this question Ron. What's the source of the midi drum data when the style is using a Real Drum track which is audio? There is no midi data written therefore nothing for a midi drum kit to play unless your RD track was recorded on a midi drum kit and the audio was generated from a drum synth.

Audition midi styles similar to the RT style you want. Ignore the instrument tracks, listen to drums only. Once you find a midi drum part you like, you can sub all the midi instrument tracks from the original RT style.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Ask yourself this question Ron. What's the source of the midi drum data when the style is using a Real Drum track which is audio? There is no midi data written therefore nothing for a midi drum kit to play unless your RD track was recorded on a midi drum kit and the audio was generated from a drum synth.

Audition midi styles similar to the RT style you want. Ignore the instrument tracks, listen to drums only. Once you find a midi drum part you like, you can sub all the midi instrument tracks from the original RT style.

Bob

What I experienced Bob is that after I removed the RealDrums and once the midi drums played a midi pattern, changing styles changed the drum kit but not the pattern.

Veteran
Veteran
We're talking about starting with a Real Style. Real Styles are not styles at all, there are no specific bass lines, guitar riffs or anything written out to create the style. They are simply a group of RT's that sound good together so they are called a Real Style. Compare that with a midi style where all the parts are written out and can create a midi file. There the drums were recorded using a midi drum kit. Since so many users don't use high end midi synths midi drums sound thin and weak which is why the first control we got was a checkbox to automatically sub a Real Drum part for the midi drums. There is no checkbox to sub a midi drum part for a RD as part of a Real Style. Therefore if you want midi drums you have to start with a midi style then you can sub the other instruments with any RT's you want.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<<< We're talking about starting with a Real Style. >>>

Yes.

<<< There is no checkbox to sub a midi drum part for a RD as part of a Real Style. >>>

Yes there is. Rt click and select 'Force Drums Track to MIDI drums'
The track color turns to yellow and the Instrument to 1 standard drum kit.
On my system, at this point the sound generated is a bass guitar sound.

To get drums to play, I have to assign a Plug in

I select Plug Ins and Select Coyote WT
Hit Generate and Play and I have drums playing.

The issue then becomes if I'm not satisfied with that drum style pattern, opening the drop down menu and select 'Select a Custom Midi style for this track' (current track drums), selecting a style or preset from this menu does not change the drum pattern.

DC Ron Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
My issue in the original post is a bit different:

1. I can force to MIDI drums and an appropriate MIDI drum will play on the standard MIDI drum patch.
2. When I try to select another MIDI drum preset, it LOOKS like the new preset loads (in this case dogsamba).

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/umphvxq3gi1r61q/BiaB%20MIDI%20drums%202.JPG?dl=0[/img]

3. But the drum pattern that plays is the same one from 1. above, not a samba.

Really appreciate the time of all who have pitched in so far...THANK YOU!

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
Veteran
Veteran
This is what I get from posting from a friends house and not when I'm home on my system to test what I just wrote, haha.

Guess what, I just found a new feature. Apparently there is a midi drum part associated with "most" Real Styles. Here's what I just did. I selected 4 styles, two funky, one country and one rock. After selecting the style I first played it to make sure the Real Drums are playing as they should. Then I right clicked on the "Drums" instrument header at the top and down the list is "force Drums track to MIDI drums". Hit play and there is a midi drum pattern that is in the style of the RT style. Funk is funk, rock is rock but no midi drums for the country style. Until I try maybe a hundred styles, this appears to be a style by style thing. Some have this but others don't. This means what I wrote above is partially correct.

DC Ron, here's what you originally wrote:

Quote:
I'd like to substitute MIDI drums for RealDrums on RealTrack styles but can't figure out how. Started with Force Drum Track to MIDI drums but can't load a MIDI drum preset after that.

IF you've selected an RT style with an optional (by forcing MIDI drums) associated midi drum pattern then you don't have to do anything, the pattern should play. If you want to change the drum pattern but keep the rest of the real tracks then you have to either select another RT style and see if there's a better midi pattern linked up to it or do what I wrote earlier and reverse this process. You start with all midi styles until you find the drums you like THEN you can replace all the midi instrument tracks with original RT style tracks.

Now, slightly off topic, this kind of experimentation is WAY easier in Real Band. Check it out.

Bob

DC Ron Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Bob, thanks for the very thoughtful reply.

Last night I tried your approach of auditioning multiple MIDI styles with MIDI drums and then inserting real tracks for the other instruments and it does work.

But it's not optimal. What I'm trying to do is improve the mix on some existing songs written with RealStyles by forcing to MIDI drums, and then auditioning MIDI drum presets until I find one that I like. If I understand your instructions, this can't be done. This seems odd for a program that started out 100% MIDI (I was there!), but certainly matches my recent experience.

So I can start with my RealStyles-based song, write down the #'s of the RealTracks used, then go to the StylePicker and filter for MIDI only. Once I find a MIDI-only RealStyle I like the drums on, I load it. Then I can load the RealTracks I wrote down. Doable, BUT probably a bit too tedious to be useful for what I'm trying to do.

About every other year I'll open up Real Band and experiment with it. Did it last night, in fact. Looks like it has improved in many ways, including appearance, since I last tried to earnestly use it to make music. May try it again. Don't know if I'm ready to climb another learning curve based on past experiences, but I'll think it over. smile

THANK YOU, again.

Ron

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
Veteran
Veteran
jazzmammal (Bob),

I'm not surprised by your findings. My understanding is, especially in the beginning, many RealStyles are one off variations of midi styles.

One easy way to tell is to load a RealStyle into an empty RealBand project. If you have RealBand preferences set to default so the first 8 tracks are BB tracks. If both the BB tracks load midi and the RealTracks load audio the RealStyle began life as a midi style.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Ron, are you aware you can audition styles by double clicking on them in the Stylepicker window?

Your point about not being able to audition individual midi instruments is a good one. I've been requesting that for years. Unfortunately all the midi instruments are packed into a style and the only way to hear them is to audition the style.

And, yes RB is still better for what you're trying to do. You still can't audition individual midi instruments there either BUT you can make a whole bunch of midi or RD drum comp tracks. You can also open up your original Real Tracks song done with that RT style you like and it will sit there undisturbed in the first 8 Biab tracks while you audition and generate whatever other things you may want. Just check the box to make all Biab tracks regular tracks so you don't regenerate/overwrite them by mistake. Remember RB has 48 tracks to play with.

Bob

DC Ron Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Bob, thanks again.

Yes, know about auditioning in Stylepicker.

May have to dive into RB again, despite the past traumas. Thanks for reminding me of the features.

The odd thing about my MIDI drums issue is that the MIDI style picker dialogue box indicates that I CAN make a MIDI drum style change, and offers me drum-only presets. But even after selecting a preset, the actual MIDI drums being played are NOT what I selected. Stranger still, the display indicates that the MIDI drum style HAS been selected. Suspect there's a bug in there.

Think I'll go to tech support to see what they say...

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<<< Ron, are you aware you can audition styles by double clicking on them in the Stylepicker window?
Your point about not being able to audition individual midi instruments is a good one. I've been requesting that for years. Unfortunately all the midi instruments are packed into a style and the only way to hear them is to audition the style. >>>

The StylePicker in BIAB is better for auditioning than the one used by RealBand. The StylePickers are different.

The BIAB StylePicker has an extra Play Radio Button that allows you to audition every Style playing using the Chord Chart and other settings of your loaded song. The RB StylePicker does not have this feature.

Using the BIAB StylePicker, when you utilize this Play Radio Button, you hear how the drums (and every other instrument) will sound in your song rather than how it sounds in the PGMusic demo song. A Style can sound drastically different over your Chord Chart Song Settings than it does playing the demo. Another benefit is you can audition hundreds of different instruments hearing how they will sound over your Chord Chart and other settings in minutes.

In the updated StylePicker recently released, you can also mute the various tracks right from the StylePicker at the end of each track there's a box with two dots. Click on it and from the menu that opens, select Track Settings\Mute or Solo

Be careful using the mute/solo as it can throw off the styles because a change of Styles may load without a default synth assigned.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,477
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195