Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#540667 06/12/19 05:22 PM
Beginners Forum
V
Valmiki Offline OP
OP Offline
V
I used BIAB many years ago and liked it. I have recently updated to 2019 and feel very disappointed...so much so that I'm considering returning.

- Manual doesn't appear to correlate with the 2019 version, including icons and menu choice names. I have the MegaPak.
- Thought Sampletank comes with it, but it doesn't?
- Cant find any explanation of Aria or Spforzando
= Every time I open BIAB (and see the blank song with one C chord), only the drums work. Manually selecting sounds for other instruments sometimes works, sometimes not
- I can't change the drum sound. Literally, I select a Midi sound or other sound and nothing changes
- Menu and icons and options feel very cluttered...4K monitor may be an issue, but scaling doesn't help much. My eyes hurt.
- I don't absolutely need the software but thought it could be a useful sketch tool.

Is it expected that learning to use BIAB is an exceptionally steep learning curve? I've spent 4 hours on it today and have accomplished close to nothing. I can't even get a simple default song with one chord to play using all the instruments. I feel like this software may not be worth my time spent. :-(

Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I used BIAB many years ago and liked it. I've had it ever since and recently updated to 2019 and feel elated...so much so that I'd never give it up.

- I hit Ctrl-T and the classic page goes to the updated new view without all the clutter.

- I don't need the software either but it is an invaluable sketch tool and just a wonderful program to practice to and just generally have a blast playing with it.

Is it expected that learning to use BIAB is an exceptionally steep learning curve? According to what you plan to do with BIAB, the learning curve varies. Like every thing, especially software, a software program may not suit everyone's needs or wants and may not be worth your time. That happens on occasion.

But, on the other hand, there is no other program that can do what BIAB does which is generate accompaniment music in the unique way that BIAB does. One can make very professional grade and complex music with BIAB. If that's something you have need or desire to do, then it's worth your time and effort to learn it. Otherwise, there's no need to delve into the complexities of the program and another software may suit your needs entirely.

If you decide to try BIAB, then here on the forum is a great place to ask questions, read posts and listen to songs created using BIAB software. Others have surely had similar issues as they started out with the program so a little research and reading may give you a jump start to making music with BIAB. There's also tons of video tutorials on YouTube, here on PGMusic's webpage and several vendors sell tutorials. Joanne Cooper and Groove 3 come to mind.

Welcome to the forum and to BIAB. There are no silly questions and the forum is one of the more accommodating forums on line. Hopefully, BIAB is the right software for you and if so, I look forward to hearing more from you as well as listening to music you learn to create and produce with this great software.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Valmiki,

If time permits, before you ask for a refund (one has 30 days after the purchase of the software), have a look at some of the video clips found at the below webpage.

https://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbwin.htm

These should help.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Welcome back. Great answers above.

We should be able to help you if you can provide more information. Let’s start with Options, Preferences, MIDI Driver. We need to examine most things there. We also need to know what you chose when installing - which of the four choices, and where the files are.

If we can’t get you going, which I think is unlikely as long as we work together, then you can always call PG Music Support. Or just do that now. They are terrific.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Yes... ask questions here and call tech support at PG before you pull the plug and return it.

First... if you have no instruments playing except the drums... have you installed a default synth for BB to call on to use to play those instruments? It's been a while, but I do seem to recall having the same issue and it was after I installed a synth.... in my case TTS, but some folks use Coyote as well.... that I finally was able to get sound from the program.

Having the same drums sound.... in midi, there's essentially one kit. You will need to have your synth installed and also be sure you've chosen the path to the directory for the instruments and also for the drums. They are in two different directories. Your program doesn't automatically know where they are. You must tell it ...same thing applies to Band in a Box as it does to Real Band. Once it knows where to look, you will have all the options at your disposal.

Learning curve.... that depends on how deep you want to go. I find that using just the things I need didn't take long to figure out.

My suggestion... call PG and have them help you through the installation process. They are knowledgeable and I recall asking them for help and guidance in my original install for much of the same reasons. IN a few minutes they had me up and running.

Keep us posted and don't hesitate to ask questions here for clarification and guidance as well. Lots of people here can help.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Beginners Forum
V
Valmiki Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Appreciate the thoughts and words of encouragement. I forgot that I had 30 days, somehow I had 7 in my mind. That helps. I did email support with a couple of small questions which they resolved very quickly. I didn't find a 'quick tips' type of set-up guide anywhere (a written one). Maybe people's computers and setups are too varied for that kind of thing.

I bought a paper copy of the manual to work through. Hopefully that will help some, too. I really like having a paper copy in front of me to work through. It was only $10 plus shipping. The FedEx/Kinko's store wanted hundreds of dollars to print the manual (no kidding), so $10 from PG Music is a very good value.

Some things I found out in case it's later helpful to anyone else:

The Ctrl-T tip above was brilliant. My default screen is just the menu, and what I like better is actually the old style color icons. I also scaled my 4K monitor to 200% in windows 10 which helps a lot with the eyes. The CoyoteWT / Coyote sounds only work with the 32-bit version. I'm using the 64-bit version (which I assume is preferable with a 64-bit machine). The 64-bit version should use VSTSynthFont64. Sampletank 2.5 only comes packaged with higher versions (UltraPak or higher) of BIAB and only works with the 32-bit version of the software. Also, I was having some trouble with the StylePicker. First thing to do apparently even on a new install is to rebuild the list. Also, you can't preview your current song if it's just one chord. You need a minimum number of chords in the chart for the preview function to work, probably four.

Thanks again

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Valmiki, it sounds like you're not a power user. There is no benefit to use the 64 bit Biab over 32 bit. 64 bit systems run 32 bit programs perfectly.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Glad you’re coming along. I didn’t know about a minimum number of chords to preview. You learn something every day with this program.

Yes, the style picker should be rebuilt after installation, including each update. We actually suggested recently that this be done automatically even if it takes a half-minute more.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
V
Valmiki Offline OP
OP Offline
V
No, I would not define myself as a power user at this point. I am slowing getting back into the home studio / DAW world and am finding that things have evolved quite a bit. Lots of new features (generally speaking) especially with regard to production workflow for commercial work, mixing, tracking to video, and the increasing trend towards samples and clips. Much of that is outside my needs. So I'm finding with programs such as Cubase (for example), there's quite a lot to sort through and whittle down.

I have liked BIAB in the past not only a sketch pad, but as a very good generator of MIDI parts. I would then export to Cubase (home), or even send to the studio guys, and get it edited and apply different sample libraries, etc. That said, as a sketch pad BIAB would seem to be better than ever with all the built-in sampled instruments/styles. A better sounding rending without having to link up massive external sample libraries like I did in the past. With my very new DAW now (years later), I haven't even bought massive sample libraries yet...still exploring and deliberately making choices slowly.

Beginners Forum
V
Valmiki Offline OP
OP Offline
V
I might add that I am considering leaving the Cubase world altogether. I have discovered a DAW software called Harrison Mixbus that is much more simplified, equally powerful for my needs, and much easier to use. The opinions I've heard with respect to its "sound quality" have been very good---which is interesting, as I've never considered recording software to vary much in terms of sound quality per se, all settings being equal. I just want to make that the Harrison software would play nicely with whatever external sample libraries I might buy.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Mixbus has a devoted following. Harrison makes mixing consoles. The website indicates they originally developed the software algorithms to allow their digital consoles to accurately emulate the sound of their analog consoles. Those algorithms are the heart of the Mixbus audio engine. The software closely emulates a mixing console. If you have a history with live sound or analog audio recording you should quickly feel comfortable using the software.

Two cautions however. (1) The software is available in two packages: Mixbus and Mixbus 32C. Check +++ THIS +++ webpage so you know which package you want. (2) They publish their plugins in LV2 format. The LV2 plugin format is not widely accepted on the Windows platform. Mixbus and Audacity are the only two programs that I know will accept them. It should be noted however, LV2 is the preferred plugin extension for Linux and is an open source extension

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Pretty much everything you've said resonates with me. I upgraded from the 2007 version to 2018 overnight. It's a bit more daunting, but only a bit. Once you are set up to deliver sound, it's all a fairly (easy) gentle glide from there.

I've settled into a sustainable workflow even though I know there may be better/easier ways to accomplish what I want. Right now, all my true challenges are creative and not so much "technical". Whatever else I need BIAB to do I am confidant I will/can learn. In truth, there are usually multiple ways of doing the same thing. To me, that's one of the strengths of the program, even if it makes the "manual" at times wonky and incomplete.

To my mind, if you had use for/enjoyed the program years ago...then you'll likely have use for it now and enjoy it even more.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I suggest you not listen to any claims that one DAW has any better ‘sound quality’ than another. Once you choose a sample rate and bit rate, audio should sound the same. Of course, there is a lot to consider for that decision. But anyone claiming better sound is talking about the plugins. And you can run many, probably most, in the DAW of your choice.

To choose a DAW, download all the trial versions. Choose the one that has the features you need that just feels right - intuitive - for how you work.

And try RealBand enough that you see what it can do that no other DAW can. Then use all the tools in the right time as needed. In my case, I also use a stereo audio editor and a CD mastering/burning program.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Absolutely try out Real Band. It just amazes me how so many users don't even look at it, they're focused on Biab only. RB IS A DAW! But not just an ordinary DAW, it is capable of opening Biab files, it has 48 tracks, it will handle all of the usual VST's that any other DAW will handle.

FORGET about messing with other DAW's until you've gotten familiar with Real Band. Then you'll be in a position to decide if you need another DAW or not.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal

FORGET about messing with other DAW's until you've gotten familiar with Real Band. Then you'll be in a position to decide if you need another DAW or not.

Bob

Although I do not use RealBand I completely agree with Bob. I have always said that if you don't already have a favorite DAW then start with RealBand.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Beginners Forum
G
G
I am a total newbie. Did accompaniment for ONE song. Have been trying for hours to start on a new song but cannot load a new style and clear the old one. HELP!

Genie #541596 06/18/19 07:14 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Starting a new song shouldn't be difficult.

Select File > New from the drop-down menu

Changing the Style should also be easy. 1:press the Styles button, 2:select the Style and 3:press OK

What are the issues you are having? You didn't say, you just said you cannot load a new style. What steps did you take?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2019-06-19_03-10-54.jpg (119.71 KB, 77 downloads)
2019-06-19_03-12-19.jpg (60.64 KB, 77 downloads)
2019-06-19_03-13-43.jpg (292.63 KB, 77 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Beginners Forum
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hey Genie,

Out of curiosity, are you using a Pro or MegaPAK? What version year are you using? And is this for Windows or for Mac? I'm thinking if you are using a Pro or MegaPAK you may need to do a slow rebuild of your StylePicker. The exact wording will be a little different if you are on Windows or Mac.

If you are on Windows, go to Style | StylePicker (Browse All Styles). At the bottom of the window you'll see a "rebuild" button. Click on it and go with the "slow" option. This should do a completely rebuild of your list for you and update the StylePicker to reflect what you have with the program.

If you are on Mac, go to Style | StylePicker (Browse All Styles) | Rebuild and click on the "Complete Rebuild of Style List" option.

If you are not using a Pro or MegaPAK, can you please further explain and be as detailed as possible about any buttons, menus, or steps taken? Thanks!

Cheers,
Ember
Beginners Forum
V
Valmiki Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Learning about Ctrl-T was a small tip but very big help for me... options became clearer to see and matched the help files.

Not sure if you got a manual with your purchase. I bought one for $10 plus 5 for shipping. Got here (other side of the continent) in less than a week, and it’s been a BIG help. I know there’s a PDF inside the program, but it’s no match to having a hardcopy manual in front of you...at least for me.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Valmiki
Learning about Ctrl-T was a small tip but very big help for me... options became clearer to see and matched the help files.

Not sure if you got a manual with your purchase. I bought one for $10 plus 5 for shipping. Got here (other side of the continent) in less than a week, and it’s been a BIG help. I know there’s a PDF inside the program, but it’s no match to having a hardcopy manual in front of you...at least for me.

$15 US for a printed copy of the manual is a good investment if you prefer having a hard copy of the manual.

One of the chief differences between upgrade and full version is the full version includes the printed manual.

I enjoy having the manual so I can highlight, add notes and study the manual when I'm away from electronic devices.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,487
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195