Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton

Too bad Parker went out of business, I'd like to get more info on how that preamp works.

Missed this before.

The ghost piezo pickup system comes from a company called graphtech. I've been using their string saver saddles on a couple of my guitars for 20 years or so, very good product, and plan on getting one of their piezo pickup/preamps one of these days for an acoustic/electric I have here.

Check this out, might be similar to what is in your Parker?

http://www.graphtech.com/docs/default-document-library/acousti-phonic-with-quickswitch.pdf?sfvrsn=0

They have more wiring diagrams here: http://www.graphtech.com/support/wiring-diagrams

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I took electronics in college, but that was many years ago. I've retained enough AC and DC theory to be dangerous to myself wink. In those days I took the 'communications option' (RF) instead of the 'computer option', because there weren't many jobs in the computer field yet.

I did a 5 year stint as a "field engineer" for a Cable TV equipment manufacturing company. The title was a gross exaggeration, "field technician" would be more accurate, but the company wanted to impress the clients.

It was a gravy job, fly out Monday night, work Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, and instead of flying home Friday, I'd take the red-eye out Thursday night. That way I could still gig on the weekends. But they laid off up to 15 years, and I barely had 5. Well since there was no security in being corporate, I went back to playing music full time.

I took the CATV gig to see what normal was all about, and found for me, normal is sooooo overrated.

Back to the switch.

I think I was forcing the pieces of the damaged switch together farther than they were designed to do, causing the circuits in the middle to be closed.

When I got my other guitar back and took out the undamaged switch, I could see a gap between the contacts when the toggle was in center position. The gap was ever so thin, I needed to hold it up to the light and use a magnifying glass to see that they weren't actually touching.

I couldn't use the VOM on the damaged switch, since it fell apart. I think that one was just defective. The machinery that put the parts together must have malfunctioned.

The new switch from Stew-Mac seems to be a better design. It's sealed, which should make the contacts less prone to corrosion. I have been gigging on a quay over a salt water lagoon once a week for 11 years now and corrosion is a fact of life there. But it's a great gig, and how many musicians are lucky enough to have an 11 year house gig? We take summers (the rainy season) off because it's outdoors, and have already been invited back for our 12th as soon as the rainy season ends.

Gigging in the summer here in South Florida is slow, since half the residents go 'up north' for the summer. So that is when I write BiaB styles. I'm working on a new collection now.

When the new switch comes in and gets installed, I'll let you all know the results.

Thank you all so much for taking the time and effort to help.

Bob

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

It's a MINI switch, 1/4" diameter shaft when I need 7/16".

I've learned I need on/off/on but can't find anything that will fit the hole in my guitar.

I don't understand the non-standard schematics at
https://guitarelectronics.com/electronic-parts/switches-pickups-selectors/toggle-switches/
but one must be right. There is no contact number or e-mail address.

Can anyone explain how the above diagrams work? Or know where I can simply get an on/off/on toggle spdt with 7/16" shaft size that will fit a solid body guitar?

I've bought two wrong switches so far, learned a lot, and the guitar still isn't working.

Bob

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Bob, as Dave mentioned, you should be able to use a standard Single-Pole-Double-Throw switch with center-off. Something like
this Switch
or
this switch
Connect it into the circuit like this:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2019-06-29_05-25-21.jpg (14.66 KB, 108 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Those are all standard three way (on-on-on) switches, which is the norm for two pickup (Gibson style) electric guitars.

I had a quick look but couldn’t find anything other than the mini-switch, I’ll have more time in the morning to do a more extensive search.

Is the shaft length on the mini-switch long enough? If so maybe you could make a mounting plate for it?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Bob, as Dave mentioned, you should be able to use a standard Single-Pole-Double-Throw switch with center-off. Something like
this Switch
or
this switch
Connect it into the circuit like this:

Typing at the same time smile Good find, looks like they should do the job.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
Bob,

+++ Guitar Electronics dot Com +++ is located in Scottsdale, AZ. It appears the site is online only as I haven't found a physical address or telephone number.

My GUESS is the site is the online arm of a Scottsdale music store or instrument repair center.

Maybe a forum member that lives in the area can look at the photos and knows who is behind the site.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks all,

VideoTrack, I guess my mistake was looking specifically for guitar switches.

https://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bender-GS...spons&psc=1

looks like it will do the job fine. 15/32" is pretty close to 7/16" and should fit in the hole. Sealed is good.

3/4hp, 250VAC is an overkill, but the price is right.

I'm sure I can take the screws out and solder the wires to it. Screw connections in a vibrating guitar don't sound like a good idea wink

---

Jim, I found the Scottsdale store but couldn't make heads or tails out of their non-schematic connection diagrams. I tried to contact them but without an account, it isn't easy.

Thanks again, I may be finally getting a switch to fix my favorite guitar.

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Bob, great.

Never mind about the current rating. It won't matter at all for your purpose (if anything it may be more reliable).

Trev

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
No I'm not worried about the current rating. If anything I should have more contact area.

It'll be nice to be able to mix the piezo with the mags again for that extra twang.

I'm sure I need something else at Amazon so I can get free shipping. If it works, and it should, I'll get two more. One for the other Parker and one for the case.

Thanks again.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
http://www.1728.org/guitar.htm go down second section (SPDT section) for more complete, but plain English explanation.

I'll not confuse this more

BTW that Amazon switch can be had at Home Depot and Lowes however a possibly BETTER version of that kind of switch, because it has a better [smaller] height profile, can be had at auto parts stores look for Cambridge switches

good luck
Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Larry,

This I understand.

The diagrams in the Scottsdale store https://guitarelectronics.com/ I could not.

[img]https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-fxdzp2uudp/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/2223/4670/swt0connections__30184.1470693871.jpg?c=2[/img]

What does all that mean. Show me a real schematic that I can understand or else it's not for me.

Notes

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This might even be clearer since ti does away with complex by-pass caps and vol/tone configs

http://kailuamusicschool.com/guitar-tone-knob-customization-neck-only/

but since you seem unsure and no techs around to help before doing ANY soldering build (or buy) yourself some simple 6 to 12" jumper cables with small alligator clips on each end (you might even have these laying around form other projects?) and hook up how you think it's suppose to go and TEST all pick-up selections work as well as their vol/tone and that piezo vol all works - then mark on paper, THEN solder

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=jumper+wires+with+aligatro+clips&ref=nb_sb_noss

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks.

Notes

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
Bob,

One problem that can result from using a switch that has high current contacts in a circuit with small current is the switch contact surface can oxidize and create a high impedance barrier. Small current will not be able to generate enough flow to punch through the barrier.

Unfortunately, you may not be able to discover the problem with a multimeter. Have you seen multimeters with dual continuity settings? The high setting has enough current to punch through the barrier while the low setting does not. That means the multimeter can lie to you if you use the high setting. The low setting was developed to overcome this issue. A secondary benefit is the low setting can be used to test low current diodes and transistor junctions.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle

One problem that can result from using a switch that has high current contacts in a circuit with small current is the switch contact surface can oxidize and create a high impedance barrier. Small current will not be able to generate enough flow to punch through the barrier.

That doesn't make much sense to me, Jim. Those ratings are maximum ratings, doesn't mean you need to run that much current for the switch to perform properly. A switch rated for higher current will have a larger contact area and if anything will be more reliable over time.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I agree with Dave's comments. The current rating is the maximum rating. Good, low resistance contacts don't generally keep themselves clean with higher current loads (in fact the opposite may occur).

I'd like to know more about the theory though if that could be shared.

Maybe there is some confusion with AC and DC ratings for contacts where the DC rating is generally lower, but this would certainly not be relevant with this situation. We're talking micro-amp scaling.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks again for all your help smile

It's done and working.

I used the switch I got at amazon--> Gardner-Bender Switch

I needed a $25 order to get free switching, so I got some low carb cookies (delicious).

The switch has screw terminals, and I used them. I figured why solder in the chance that I don't like it. I'll probably take the time to solder, as I believe it makes for a more reliable connection.

Here it is in the guitar:

And of course the front of the guitar looks normal:

It's working fine. It's a little stiffer and has more of an acoustic click than a 'guitar' switch. It reminds me of the old amp switches that were on the brown tweed Fenders with reversible polarity.

The guitar is happy again.

Notes

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Excellent outcome Bob. Thanks for letting us know that this worked out OK.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,397
Posts732,531
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200