Print Thread
Go To
#541816 06/19/19 10:07 AM
Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
H,

I've been getting the Windows 7 will no longer be supported after January 14th 2020 reminder.
Just wondering how users on this forum will make a copy of all the updates.
I have Win 7 SP1 and like to do a fresh install once a year so having the updates while installing would save a lot of time.

Regards
Brian

Brian Cadoret
BIAB 2024 Pro with BIAB2023 UltraPAK build 1104. Samplitude Pro X4 Suite. Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio
Focusrite 2i2 Scarlett
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Brian,

I may be wrong but as I understand the "no longer be supported" term, it means that no more updates will be created after Jan 14, 2020. All previously existing updates, though, will still be available through Microsoft since they are already created.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm not going to sit here and tell you the world will end if you don't go Win 10 yesterday(you'll get plenty from that camp as it is). If you know what your doing, only you know, and you are geek and security savvy and stay off line after LAST security update then press. I'm still rocking a WIN XP laptop, as well as multiple VMs with various WIN XP and WIN 7 pro configs

having said all that: If that's the way you want to go - DOWNLOAD ALL applicable updates NOW and SAVE them OFF onto other media (e.g., USB drives)

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=windwos%207%20pro

there is a lot to go through depending on your config. I would also tell you to try and start with "SP2" not SP1 see these links

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/how-to-obtain-and-install-windows-7-sp2/c2c7009f-3a10-4199-9c89-48e1e883051e

https://www.lifewire.com/latest-windows-service-packs-updates-2624595

good luck
Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman

Thanks a lot Noel and Larry for the information.
I never realized there was an "sp2" download which I've now put on a USB stick, and that updates will still be available from Microsoft.

Regards
Brian

Brian Cadoret
BIAB 2024 Pro with BIAB2023 UltraPAK build 1104. Samplitude Pro X4 Suite. Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio
Focusrite 2i2 Scarlett
Installed RAM 8.00 GB

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Not to worry....

As has been pointed out, there won't be any new security patches and updates after they discontinue support. That doesn't mean it stops working or that you can't find the SP's online. All that will still be there and you'll likely be able to find and buy brand new Win & OS packages online as well.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Not Win 7 OS. Before the free update to Win 10 was available my old machine with 7 on it was really slowing down and driving me nuts. Everybody says you should be reinstalling a Windows OS every few years anyway and my system had the OEM version, no disc. I went looking for a fresh Win 7 product key I could use to reinstall. None were available or I should say no legit ones were available. MS didn't have it and neither did any of the bigger online retailers.

All that's out there is very edgy looking Ebay things where they sell you a key for $29 or some such. Those may work (or be a total ripoff) for a few months until MS gets around to checking out your system and suddenly you get a message saying you're using an unauthorized version of Windows ie pirated. They give you 30 days then throttle down your OS. About this time is when the Win 10 freebie came out so I did that and have never looked back. Win 10 is great plus the security is way better than even the latest update for Win 7.

The folks here like Larry and Herb are highly experienced power users, are you? If not then update to Win 10 now for a whole host of reasons I won't bother repeating again. Just check it out yourself, you'll see.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I am definitely not looking forward Windows 7 ending, because in my case it means most likely having to buy a new laptop. Would I enjoy a brand new, powerful laptop? Sure, but I don't really want to spend the money as I'm pretty happy with the laptop I have now. It's an i5 processor with a 17 inch screen,
8GB RAM, and dual terabyte 7200 RPM hard drives that runs like a tank. It's been dropped and gotten dinged, but keeps a truckin'.

The problem, though, is all because of how HP implemented the dual mode video driver on my laptop. It has a low powered Intel graphics card for on-battery use and a high powered AMD graphics card for plugin use that auto-switches.

I've actually done the upgrade to Win10 several times now (each time to see if things are better). I've done both in-place upgrades, as well as clean installs (which then requires re-installing all the applications).

Since I originally did an upgrade and my machine's credentials are cached with Microsoft, I can do it multiple times on the same machine. But each time, it works for a little while, but then as updates start coming in, it starts blue-screening, with error messages related to the video driver (for which there is no viable updated version - see above). Also, with Windows 10 I lose the ability to use my HDMI port and the fingerprint reader gets wonky.

I love the laptop and it works like a champ with Windows 7 and a whole lot of music-related apps. So, I'll either have to bite the bullet for a new machine, or just live with the limitations of Windows 10 running on it. The problem really isn't a Microsoft problem, it's an HP problem, because they wouldn't provide the updated drivers (this actually goes back to Windows 8, when they first refused to provide new drivers - then, it was just a one year old machine when Windows 8 came out. Clearly, they just wanted to sell me a new machine a year after I had already bought one from them. They put out an official statement that they would not be providing updated drivers for it).

Oh, well. I've got two desktops about the same age as my laptop that run Windows 10 just fine. They mirror image (for the most part) my laptop, so I can keep working on anything started on the laptop.
They don't have the dual mode drivers, so they work just fine.

We'll see what happens come January.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
In Brian's case it sounds like he has physical Win 7 media so combining all those updates into one big one is a good idea. I knew about that when I found out my OEM Win 7 was unauthorized so for me that would not have worked because I didn't have an actual Win 7 disc or ISO.

Brian you thanked the guys by saying it's good to know Windows updates will still be available. To be clear, we're talking about existing updates, not new ones after next January.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
jford #542030 06/20/19 12:47 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
John, have your tried here for HP driver updates?

https://scan.driverguide.com/scan.php

You can cancel after you DL your drivers. I have done this.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks, Mario, I'll give it a try, but I've also previously pursued many other rabbit holes regarding the video drivers, to no avail.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi,
Thanks again for the links and information I will leave it till December then create a slipstream DVD and a Raymond install disk to be on the safe side.
I could never understand why OEM never came with a hard copy install disk.
I bought my Windows 7 disk from an authorized dealer which has 32bit and 64bit installs, my Windows 8 laptop came with nothing just the image file on the hard drive makes it cumbersome to install and if the hard drive fails well....

Brian

Brian Cadoret
Focusrite 2i2 Scarlett
Installed RAM 8.00 GB

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,560
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200