Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Songwriting
Journeyman
Journeyman
It's certainly possible to write a song a day and plenty of people do it. Are they always great? No, but the more you do it the better you get.

If I didn't have kids I could probably do it, but my average is more like 3 songs a week, and that's fine with me.

Samuel Davis Jr
BIAB 2018 + Cubase + Ignite
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I didn't read all the comments.... so with that in mind.

This is the very advice that Jeff Steele gave to the folks in attendance at a songwriter's seminar that I had attended several years ago in LA. Write a song every day..... monday thru friday. At the end of a year you have approx 250 songs. At the end of 10 years you have 2500 songs. Somewhere in the middle, you're starting to get pretty good at writing.

He defined what it meant to write a song a day. It means a complete song. Music and lyrics and record it in some fashion so you don't forget it next week. It does not have to be a "swing for the bleachers" type of song. You need to sift through a lot of rocks to find the gems. Just complete the song from start to finish and with lyrics and music. When you write like this, you will absolutely become better.

In dog training, we say that a dog has to repeat something successfully 800 to 1000 times for it to grasp and master that something. It can be a sit or a search for a given odor in 10 acres of woodland. The same thing applies to us. We have to successfully repeat things to become good at them. It takes 10,000 hrs of practicing correctly to master something. Do the math.... that means 4 to 5 years of doing.

As a side, Steele said that after having done this (writing hit songs) for his whole life, he still has a rate of 1 in 10 songs that he writes is decent enough to consider demoing. Out of those, again maybe 1 in 10 of the demos get cut, and a small number of them hit the top 10 in the charts. At the time of the seminar, Steele had had 24 hit songs that were in the top 10 including #1.

Not many folks, including myself have the time to set and write a complete song, or anything for that matter, everyday. But that doesn't mean we can't write as much as we can and learn more about the process and the skills needed to improve.

No matter what your circumstances, try to improve. You owe it to yourself and that epitomizes the reason we take up a hobby or a pursuit in the first place.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
Many artists quickly fill up sketch pads with sketches...
Then when time permits they may go back...
And find one to rework...

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
both.jpg (108.92 KB, 165 downloads)

Jim
†=☮&♥
Songwriting
Quote:
A song a day – how to improve your songwriting skills
You may not copy Jonathan Mann and his commitment to the plan, but everyone needs to slow down some time. The first principle of one song per day is to do my essay as a short story on your song’s topic in order to minimize the basic word cluster, focus your lyrics and That helps a lot.

On the one hand, it helps with motivation I guess, but on the other hand - I'm not sure if it's the best method for everyone. Some songwriters prefer long pauses in writing after each song (that's totally about me).

The result of one song per day 120 days in a row in one video:
120 Days of Music - One Hundred and Twenty - Samuel Orson:

Last edited by RandyBonnette; 04/14/20 09:10 PM.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
To those who say they prefer to avoid quantity and focus on quality, you have made an error in thought process and that is that you think these two words are mutually exclusive. That is not the case. Ask any person involved in learning any instrument or sport. Practice, and lots of it, results in improvement. There are very few home run hitters who take just one pitch per day, hoping for a home run from that one pitch

Hi Scott.

I've been pondering your comments since I first read them a couple of days ago.

While there's some truth in what you say, I'm not sure that songwriting is as straightforward as you make it sound.

For example, if I define a "song" as melody + chords + arrangement, then I could comfortably write a song a day. However, if I define a "song" as melody + chords + arrangement + lyrics, I would be unable to consistently write songs on a daily basis.

Lyrics for me are my slow point.

I can create a first draft of complete lyrics usually within a hour. That draft, though, is just a starting place. I then use dictionaries, rhyming dictionaries and thesauruses to modify words and dress-up phrases so that I have: (a) the best prosody possible; (b) the best syllable strength alignment with a note's rhythmical stress; (c) the most sonorous linking of words through rhymes, inner rhymes, assonance and consonance; (d) the best possible metaphors, similes and connotations. This all takes time. And with every change that I make, I need to let the words rest for a day or two so that I can come back to them with fresh ears and hear how they fit together.

In this regard, lyrics are like mixing for me. Aural fatigue sets in after a couple of hours and it's difficult to appreciate how well or not the lyrics flow.

Right now, I've been working on a single line of lyrics for three days. While I've certainly had a few 'adequate' lines that more-or-less work in those days, they have not grabbed me. This morning, my brain finally put a phrase together that says everything I want to say and the words flow with elegance. For me, lyric writing is more like the fermenting of beer. There's no way to hurry the process. The best I can do is to mix everything together, give it a good stir and then wait for the magic to happen as my brain works through various permutations and possibilities.

Just my two cents worth!

Regards,
Noel

Interesting thread. I am like you Noel, I struggle with lyrics and it takes me a long time to craft a reasonable set of lyrics.

However, my time on FAWM has exposed me to ordinary people who are able to produce literally hundreds of sets of beautiful lyrics in the short month of February. It is amazing.

In turn they are amazed that I can put the lyrics to music and record the song (with the help of BIAB) in a couple of hours.

I believe Bob Dylan wrote Blowing in the Wind in a few minutes while Leonard Cohen took ages to write a song.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Songwriting
M
M
Maybe possible but why?? I have 50+ songs of my own....and have times when the muse (and time) come on and write several IDEAS....(later SONGS or not)...and perhaps if something pay for it....maybe think abouth it.
Quality over quantity.....its important to me.

Songwriting
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Being creative takes practice, that’s why. It applies to all arts.

Songwriting
H
Journeyman
Journeyman
H
I think you can write a song a day if you want to end up with 365 crappy songs LOL I understand this may work for some but for me it's just a no-go. I'd rather spend my time trying to write from the quality perspective than the "quantity" perspective. To write a "complete" song to include music, lyrics, arrangement, background vocals, bridge, breaks, etc... is just too hard for me to complete in a day. I've heard these songwriter challenges songs before and 90% of the songs sound the same. No variety. Just 300 boring songs written as a ballad. A single soloist accompanied by a simple arrangement. If that's the goal then it's cool but I think it's because the songwriter gets stuck in a comfortable pattern and continues down that path not really experimenting or doing anything new. I actually do a lot of songwriting away from any instrument singing the melody into my Samsung then going back and figuring out how the music should sound or how the hook resonates. I will admit that there's no "right" answer. This is just my opinion.

Songwriting
Journeyman
Journeyman
Lyrics are always a pain in the neck and even though I've been writing poems the last 40 years or so - putting meaningful lyrics into songwriting is a totally different ball game.

You need to take rhythm and flow, also what words sounds good and stay away from the ones that make your vocal sound like you just swallowed a hot potato....and similar issues.

I use rhymezone.com a lot since my english vocabulary has it's limitation. Also I find quite a lot of inspiration just by observing human behavior - it tends to get my lyrics going. I also learned, that I regularly will change or rewrite 30-50% during the process from composing to recording.

When it comes to composing - I have a rule of thumb. I set the song up in BIAB or ScalerAudio2 -and then I leave it without writing down lyrics or creating a "humming" track. This to see if I still remember the song after 7-14 days - if I forgot it, well it wasn't good enough anyhow.

MacMini M1 - BIAB2021 - Logic Pro X - iZotope Music Production Suite - Scaler 2 - far too many Waves plugins and Line 6 Guitars and boards + a fantastic Yamaha THR10ll mini Amp - Avid MBOX Studio

Peters' Garage is available on all major streaming services
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,468
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195