Go To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
New user...

The MIDI styles sound mostly dreadful. I mean the sound of the instruments.

I tried few things like loading realtracks for them etc. But I really have not had much luck so far with impro ing the sound.

What is one supposed to with all those MIDI styles to make the sound better?

Regards
Bernt

Last edited by berntd; 06/17/19 04:55 PM.

Band in a Box
Latest: ULTRA 2020 (734) on Win 10
And: MEGA 2020 (720) on Windows 7

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bern,

MIDI is a series of programming commands that plays MIDI-compatible instruments and software synthesisers.

The quality of the output of MIDI totally depends on the quality of the instrument or software being used to play the files. BIAB's MIDI styles can sound excellent when top class software synthesisers are used.

The software synth that BIAB ships with is just a starter synth that's used to get an idea of how the style sounds. Synthesisers such as Kontakt, are superb... but they cost a lot too.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bernt,

Noel has answered exactly what the issue you are experiencing is. It is related to the external MIDI sound module that is reproducing the audio sounds from the MIDI data commands coming from BiaB.

Replace the MIDI sound module with one of higher quality and your sounds would definitely improve.

What sound module are you using?

Do you have VSTi/DXi checked in the MIDI/Audio Drivers setup options, and have chosen a software synth (see image below)? If so, which one?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2019-06-17_18-30-38.jpg (99.36 KB, 333 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
As above, it's not the styles. MIDI actually has no sound of its own. In addition to a software MIDI synthesizer, you can use a hardware one (mine is from Roland; see my signature below). There are many to choose from, of greatly varying quality and price.

Go to this page for a lot of info and samples: https://www.pgmusic.com/dare-to-compare.htm Pick a style you like and compare. The page is a little old; some of the choices aren't viable anymore, but it will give you a great introduction to the topic. MIDI can sound very fine.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
W
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
W
Using a good sf2 can sound better.
Try Titanic free soundfont it's better than the modules on the page wink

I use Samplelord so i can load any soundfont on any midi-chanel.

Last edited by Willy6996; 06/17/19 12:04 AM.
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: berntd
New user...

The MIDI styles sound mostly dreadful. I mean the sound of the instruments.

I tried few things like loading realtracks for them etc. But I really have not had much luck so far with impro ing the sound.

What is one supposed to with all those MIDI styles to make the sound better?

Regards
Bernt

Welcome, Berntd :-)

First of all, I'd like to point out that MIDI, and the thinks you can do with it in BiaB and RB is absolutely astounding in so may ways, and one of their greatest strengths.

As has already been pointed out, MIDI is NOT sound. There are VSTis (Kontakt, East West are just two publishers that issue excellent ones) that turn tracks from the awful sounds you get from the default DXI/Coyote and even the Sforzando player into lush full blown orchestras horn sections and what have you.

Although the analogy is a bit wonky, you can think of it like one of those paint-by-numbers cardboard slates that you then populate with brilliant colors.

Check out these 2 videos to get you started on how to load and work with VST(i)s/plugins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVRtQz8nqvY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WexjietWWhc

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Expert
Expert
You might be able to get Native-Instruments Komplete Start to work ok. This has a heap of virtual instruments. Or look at Amplesound’s free bass and guitar (not as good as the paid for jobs but are ok). There are any amount of free sampled pianos and the like out there. Also many synths where one can create almost anything they want.

Just a thought

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks.I will check it out.

Can I not just sample my real accoustic piano for example?

I know that MIDI is just a code but I am also confused between a realtrack that I can load for a MIDI instrument track, and super MIDI track.

Also, for getting around this issue, I looked into a Yamaha CDP-125 digital piano for MIDI reproduction.

They now only have USB MIDI and nobody so far jas been able to tell me if that is compatible with MIDI as in BIB.

Last edited by berntd; 06/17/19 12:46 AM.

Band in a Box

Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: berntd
Thanks.I will check it out.

Can I not just sample my real accoustic piano for example?

I know that MIDI is just a code but I am also confused between a realtrack that I can load for a MIDI instrument track, and super MIDI track.

Also, for getting around this issue, I looked into a Yamaha CDP-125 digital piano for MIDI reproduction.

They now only have USB MIDI and nobody so far jas been able to tell me if that is compatible with MIDI as in BIB.

The short answer to your first question is yes. You can construct an instrument based on your samples in, for instance, Kontakt. I would personally do it in Reaper using, IIRC because Iv'e never actually done but seen how it's done) with ReaSamplematic (is that what its called) and Megababy(?)

The difference between MIDI and MIDI Supertracks is that the former are kinda transposing, but static "pattern mappings" and the latter are basically RealTracks, recorded by real musicians rendered into, or recorded in, MIDI.

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Expert
Expert
Sampling a piano (or any instrument) is very possible but not necessarily very easy. First you need to record the device. For best results every 3rd or so note. The notes need to be recorded at the correct levels and for the correct length for each note. Then you might need another set for a note hit hard and another for a note played softly. Once you have all the notes you then need to create an SFZ or similar type file to play them and a player for the SFZ.

It is a lot easier to use samples professionally done. Having said that it is also good fun to have your own instrument sampled. Years ago I spent considerable time sampling my old Telecaster and actually used it to substitute a bit I could not get right in a song I recorded but I would probably not go down that path again. You may enjoy sampling however.

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 06/17/19 01:03 AM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Teunis
Sampling a piano (or any instrument) is very possible but not necessarily very easy. First you need to record the device. For best results every 3rd or so note. The notes need to be recorded at the correct levels and for the correct length for each note. Then you might need another set for a note hit hard and another for a note played softly. Once you have all the notes you then need to create an SFZ or similar type file to play them and a player for the SFZ.

It is a lot easier to use samples professionally done. Having said that it is also good fun to have your own instrument sampled. Years ago I spent considerable time sampling my old Telecaster and actually used it to substitute a bit I could not get right in a song I recorded but I would probably not go down that path again. You may enjoy sampling however.

Tony

Totally agree!

I good instrument will have hundreds (thousands) of samples for multiple velocity layers, round robins, pedal dynamics etc,... TBH, there are a number of excellent free MIDI pianos available online. A quick Google search for "Free piano VST" will get you started.

Veteran
Veteran
Yes, a Yamaha digital piano connected by USB should be recognized by BIAB and usable to play MIDI.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Expert
Expert
Hi

As said above the midi styles are fine it depends on what midi device hardware or software that you play them through.
The basic Microsoft one GS wavetable synth is pretty grim
The supplied Coyote wave table will be a bit of an improvement. But it’s not the full answer as it is only a jacket for the Microsoft one to work as a vst I understand.

Many users on here use a Ketron SD2 this is a small hardware synth the size of a small pack of cigarettes and has quite a good sounding voice set.

SOFTWARE SOUND SYNTHS
Be aware not all of the software synths that folks mentioned here have a full General Midi set (GM). Kontak for example you have to choose a voice/patch for each track,
So make sure you chosen synth is GM compatible to just load and use the BIAB midi styles.

Then there are the sound font players have a look at this on my web site.

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/my_technical_articles2.html#Coolsoft_VirtualMidiSynth_Timbres_Of_Heaven_Soundfont__Sonar_instrument_def

Try the COOLSOFT sound font player and the “Timbres of Heaven” sound font. That’s some good midi sound !
Have fun
Mike

Last edited by Mike Head; 06/17/19 02:48 AM.

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Journeyman
Journeyman
Sometimes edited Real Tracks (samples) can sound a bit jerky. Sometimes you want to take one note out but you can't because it is played at the same time as another note. One good thing about midi is the ability to edit cleanly.

The other things you have to consider are what instruments will be midi, where will they be in the mix and how much you are willing to spend. I'm doing a project now that uses midi piano, organ and drums. They will be down "in the mix." But I won't use the midi bass, guitar or horns because I don't want to spend the money for the top-quality instruments. Also, the horns and guitars will be more prominent.

i5-3210 laptop. Win 10 Home. 2.5ghz, 64 bit. 6gb RAM. Focusrite Scarlet 2i2.
Veteran
Veteran
Virtually all of my songs in the showcase are MIDI so you might want to give a listen.

I will not repeat everything that already has been said but I will give you some free options for better MIDI sounds:
1-Get Coolsoft soundfont player and Timbres of Heaven soundfont as Mike suggested

2-Get the Free Kontakt player:

https://download.cnet.com/Kontakt-Player/3000-2170_4-10161711.html

And maybe some free Kontakt sounds to augment it:

https://www.productionmusiclive.com/blogs/news/top-10-free-kontakt-libraries

https://www.flstudiomusic.com/2017/03/38-best-free-kontakt-libraries.html

3-Get the free Sampletank 3:

https://getintopc.com/softwares/audio-processing/sampletank-vst-free-download/

Note that there are a lot of sounds for Kontakt but be very careful if you purchase some as some are for the full version of Kontakt only and will not play in the player. This is always marked on the sites so be sure to look for it.

Also note that there are tons of free soundfonts for any free soundfont player.

I would start with the soundfont player and add Kontakt and Sanpletank once you get the hang of MIDI.

If you need any help we are here for you so just ask.

Good luck.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
GM (General Midi) was mentioned but I'll expand on it a bit. GM is an industry standard list of instruments. This is so midi files will play the same way on all systems. Patch one, piano is the same patch for everybody. This makes it very convenient but the quality of that sound depends on what GM synth you use. All Windows systems have a built in Wavetable GM synth. Since it's free you get what you pay for. Biab uses GM as the default so if you're using a GM synth all the instruments in a midi style will match up and you don't have to do anything. You hit Play and you hear the sounds.

Sounds great, right? Yes BUT...GM is also very limited. You get two acoustic piano's, Standard Grand and Bright. A commercial NON GM synth like Sampletank or Kontakt for example can have 40 pianos of all different types like German grands, Japanese grands, jazz pianos, rock pianos, uprights, etc. etc. It's the same for all instruments. For guitars you get a ton of different guitar types right down to the type of strings. GM can't give you any of that. You get a couple of generic guitars and that's it. If you're using a non GM synth all it means is you get to manually select which instrument you want to use, it's not simply plug and play like GM is.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
Just as an aside, there is still time to edit and improve the post title to something like ‘How do I get better sound from MIDI styles?’ Prospective buyers read this forum, too.

Veteran
Veteran
+++ A Beginner's Guide To MIDI +++ is a 11:42 YouTube video that gives a very good overview of how midi works.

+++ HERE +++ is part 1 of a 3 part video series that provides a more comprehensive overview of midi.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Just as an aside, there is still time to edit and improve the post title to something like ‘How do I get better sound from MIDI styles?’ Prospective buyers read this forum, too.

Good point, Matt.

I PM'd the O/P with this suggestion also.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

Good point, Matt.

I PM'd the O/P with this suggestion also.

Acknowledged and changed.

Band in a Box

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,439
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195