Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
RealBand
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
You may be correct there's no issue with the XML file. As I said, I have no experience with applying them in BIAB/RB or knowledge of using them in any manner. Also, XML files ability to be imported into PGMusic software is a fairly new feature so I was giving my best guess. Your issue with the two instances of INTERLUDE also led me in this direction. At the same time, I'm fairly confident from the various results obtained, there's no defect with RealBand regarding generations of 240 or 255 bars.

It sounds odd when I say it but I believe the issue is no more than something from somewhere has put a command around bar 240-241 since you consistently have the issue there.

You can easily select a few bars prior to bar 240 carrying the selection beyond 241 perhaps to bar 245 and manually make changes to the chords, replace instruments and only regenerate those few bars to see if completing a smaller size task makes a difference. You can do this to one instrument or to all of them at that section only.

To select a section of all the instruments -

Select the radio Snap To Grid Button in the upper left tool bar area.

Select a track, multiple tracks or all the tracks (to select multiple tracks use the control on any desired additional track or shift key between the first and last track you want to choose.)

Place your curser at bar 238 and Press F7

Place your curser at bar 245 and Press F8

The selected section (all tracks)should be highlighted in blue.

Right Click on the blue selected area or Select the large Generate Button

From the drop down menu - Generate\Regenerate All (selected region) (selected tracks) - The selection reads different in the large radio generate button than from the Right click method but the result should be the same.

Only the selected area should regenerate and apply the changes you made to the chord chart.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
RealBand
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
You may be correct there's no issue with the XML file. As I said, I have no experience with applying them in BIAB/RB or knowledge of using them in any manner. Also, XML files ability to be imported into PGMusic software is a fairly new feature so I was giving my best guess. Your issue with the two instances of INTERLUDE also led me in this direction. At the same time, I'm fairly confident from the various results obtained, there's no defect with RealBand regarding generations of 240 or 255 bars.

It sounds odd when I say it but I believe the issue is no more than something from somewhere has put a command around bar 240-241 since you consistently have the issue there.

You can easily select a few bars prior to bar 240 carrying the selection beyond 241 perhaps to bar 245 and manually make changes to the chords, replace instruments and only regenerate those few bars to see if completing a smaller size task makes a difference. You can do this to one instrument or to all of them at that section only.

Thanks, Charlie, for elaborating on your perspective on XML files. And thanks for your suggestion for me to experiment with the 240/241 bar boundary by making various changes to a small section of bars before and after this boundary and then regenerating those tracks. Unfortunately, I had tried this during one of my previous tests and repeatedly ran into the exact same problem. To substantiate my claim that there is indeed an issue with the 240/241 boundary during RB track generation process, I created a video that documents this entire scenario using a test song that I had created by manually entering the chords into RB's Chord Window. IOW, this test song was not created from opening a .XML file. You can watch this video on my Youtube channel at this link:

https://youtu.be/khIKS_RAGHg

Tom Levan (pronounced La-VAN)
BiaB 2024 Win UltraPAK Build 1109, Xtra Style PAKs 1-11, RB 2024, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Q9650 3 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD & 2 TB HDD, Tracktion 6 & 7 (freebies), Cakewalk, Audacity, MuseScore 2.1 & 3.4, Synthesizer V
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
muzikluver,
Maybe try sending this to support via email, or Chat with them tomorrow.
Since you can post the video file, PGMusic may be able to replicate or explain.
https://www.pgmusic.com/support.htm

Last edited by rharv; 06/09/19 11:43 AM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: rharv
muzikluver,
Maybe try sending this to support via email, or Chat with them tomorrow.
Since you can post the video file, PGMusic may be able to replicate or explain.
https://www.pgmusic.com/support.htm

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try emailing it to them first along with a link to this discussion.

BiaB 2024 Win UltraPAK Build 1109, Xtra Style PAKs 1-11, RB 2024, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Q9650 3 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD & 2 TB HDD, Tracktion 6 & 7 (freebies), Cakewalk, Audacity, MuseScore 2.1 & 3.4, Synthesizer V
RealBand
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Thanks for posting the video. You're correct, there's nothing in the chords to cause the chord change and it's clearly there. Rharv's correct that it will likely be best to let support examine the file. I asked someone knowledgeable about XML files and they told me a chord change would be obviously visible and they did not think the XML file had any thing to do with your issue. This test you did seems to confirm that.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
RealBand
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I sent them an email several hours ago with links to both discussions about this issue (here and in the BiaB forum) as well as a link to my video. I'll let all of you know when they get back to me and what they say about all of this. Thanks for all the help!

RealBand
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<<< I'll let all of you know when they get back to me and what they say about all of this. >>>

Please do. It's an intriguing problem.

Charlie

RealBand
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Well, this afternoon I received a reply from Joe at PG Music to the email I sent to technical support yesterday. Before I share what Joe wrote to me, I'll share with I wrote in my email:

"Dear Technical Support,

I started using RealBand for the first time a few days ago to find out if it resolves the 255 bar limit in Band in a Box per the suggestion of another user in the Band in a Box forum. In the process, I discovered a problem that occurs repeatedly when RB reaches bar 241 during its track generation process using the BiaB engine. Rather than explain the problem in this email, I'll provide you with a link to the discussion I started in the RB forum on your website as well as a link to a video I created that documents this problem. I'll also provide you with a link to the original discussion I started in the BiaB form that resulted in my decision to try RB in order to create arrangements for two of my songs that exceed the 255 bar limit. Perhaps you could explain why this is happening and if there's anything I can do to work around it. Better yet, perhaps you could fix this problem without much effort. Thanks for your help!

(links included)

Tom"

And here is the reply I received:

"Thank you for contacting us. Although the limit for the song length in Band-in-a-Box is 255, generally speaking the closer you get to that point the more work the Band-in-a-Box engine taxes your computer and thus can create some pretty unwanted results.

As a general rule, the shorter the song the better it is. Even if you need to export smaller portions as a .wav then import them into another DAW to increase the length of it that would be a good work around.

Let us know if you require further assistance.

Cheers,
Joe
PG Music Inc.
Important Reminder: Please include all previous correspondence when replying to this message."

In my opinion, this is a strange reply. I contacted support about a bug in RB's execution of BiaB's engine to overcome the 255 bar limit, and support responded with a discussion on BiaB and a recommendation to use songs that don't get close to the 255 bar limit. Huh?

RealBand
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Thanks for posting the update.

Interesting reply from Joe. It seem that although the RealBand program doesn't have a limit of 255 bars, the BIAB algorithm within the RealBand program becomes unstable when generations near the BIAB physical limit of 255 bars.

An analogy would be a rope designed to be safe under a specific load at 20' will not break when used at that load at the 20' length. The same rope braided to a length of 100' will still be designed to work at that load for 20' and may break when used at the 100' length.

It's a limitation of BIAB although it presents within RealBand.

RealBand
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
That's one way to look at it, Charlie, but I think there's more to it than that. On the one hand, RB doesn't even allow the BiaB engine to reach the 255 bar limit. This is why it only generates tracks up to 240 bars and then starts over with an additional 240 bars (or, in the case of my 320-bar song, an additional 80 bars). Although Jim Fogle's post on 6/8/19 above identified two gaps that occurred in his test song (one in all tracks at bar 240 and one in the base track at bar 272), my complaint isn't about the FIRST 240 bars. My complaint is about the SECOND 240 bars. More specifically, my complaint is about the BEGINNING of the second 240 bars, that is, the VERY FIRST bar if it doesn't have a chord assigned to it along with any subsequent bars that don't have a chord assigned to them as well.

In my test song and in a test song that Pipeline did (see his post on 6/9/19 in my BiaB forum topic "An idea to fix the dreaded '255 bar limit'"), RB inserted a C chord in the first unassigned bar, which from these two test cases appears to be a default operation within RB. Thus, on the other hand, RB's implementation of the BiaB engine for any unassigned bars in the BEGINNING of the second 240 bars is faulty because it doesn't account for the last assigned chord at the end of the first 240 bars. Or, as Pipeline put it in his post, "I would say that's a bug they need to look into as it's not stitching it correctly." This is why a glitch will sometimes occur at the 240/241 bar boundary as well as an erroneous chord change.

Regarding Jim Fogle's test, those gaps appeared only after he had changed all the rests, shots, holds in his song to whole chords. The gaps at bar 240 may have been due to a beat calculation error, which may correspond indirectly to the gap that appeared from bar 184 to bar 240 in one of my test songs with a 4/4 time signature when I used a 3/4 style. However, the gap in the base track at bar 272 could have been random and may have disappeared if he had regenerated that entire track or just a small section of that track surrounding bar 272. I say this because I had encountered a similar gap in BiaB on a finger picking acoustic guitar track in one of my songs that did not exceed or even come close to the 255 bar limit. When I regenerated the song, that gap went away.

CORRECTION: Jim Fogle's first gap appeared at bar 248, not bar 240. See my post below.

Last edited by muzikluver; 06/11/19 02:18 AM. Reason: Added a correction at the end

RealBand
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I just realized after checking Jim Fogle's post again that the gap in all the tracks of his test song was actually at bar 248, not bar 240. So, my theory about a beat calculation error for the first 240 bars is incorrect. So, perhaps this gap reinforces what I said above about RB's implementation of the BiaB engine at the BEGINNING of the second 240 bars.

I also did not point out that Jim Fogle's base track had a gap at bar 244 as well, but he didn't mention this in his post.

Last edited by muzikluver; 06/11/19 02:23 AM. Reason: Added additional statement at the end

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Yes

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
muzikluver, I suspect you now can more appreciate what the term "baggage" means. crazy

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

RealBand
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
muzikluver, I suspect you now can more appreciate what the term "baggage" means. crazy

I sure can! Obviously, as Bob (jazzmammal) pointed out, "RB isn't perfect," and I never expected it to be perfect. I just didn't know what types of issues I would be running into. This forum contains plenty of posts about such issues. Of course, BiaB has its own issues as well. But it's still a great program, and RB has the appearance of being a great program for its primary intended use as a DAW. I just haven't used it enough yet as a DAW to know that for sure from my own experience and may never know that because of my limited DAW needs.

RealBand
Expert
Expert
HI

Just a thought to stop the first chord in a new song coming up as C just set the key sig of the song to the chord you want.
However if you want to start on a note in a key that is not the tonic that is a problem.
But you can always change the first chord yourself anyway.

Starting a new version of song for part 2 to stitch on as a wav, I guess you would need to end part one on a key signature bar before it reaches its critical bar number for you.
At a point that makes musical sense of the arrangement currently generated.
Then create part 2 set to that key sig. the problem then being you may have to regenerate multiple times to come up with same arrangement that the software came up with in part one.
You may well struggle here a bit as what was say bar 220 of a song in part one
In your part two song will be back at bar one and may well get treated as an opening phrase, and therefore not sit well, with where the arrangement would have gone in a continuous generation of more bars.
You will also have to negate the count in at some point .

Seems a rather messy workaround to me and a bit hit and miss

Just my take
Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
RealBand
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: Mike Head
HI

Just a thought to stop the first chord in a new song coming up as C just set the key sig of the song to the chord you want. . . .

Thanks for your suggestions and for joining the discussion, Mike. I think you misunderstood what I said. RB doesn't change the first chord in a song to C. It inserts a C chord into bar 241 if bar 241 doesn't already have a chord assigned to it. This chord won't be visible in the Chord window, but you'll definitely hear it in the arrangement. The quickest workaround for this is to simply insert a chord (the most recent chord that occurred prior to bar 241) into bar 241 before asking RB to generate all the BiaB tracks. However, even after doing this, a glitch will sometimes occur at the 240/241 bar boundary because of RB's attempt to switch to another chord first---probably the C chord.

RealBand
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I just sent Joe at PG Music support the following reply to his email:

"Hi Joe,

Thanks for your reply to my email and for the comments you made about the behavioral characteristics of the 255 bar limit in Band in a Box. While I do appreciate this information, I have to tell you that the email I sent you was not about problems I was having with this limit in Band in a Box. Instead, my email was about the problems I was having in RealBand because of how it had implemented the Band in a Box algorithm/engine to generate BB tracks for several songs that contained more than 255 bars. This is why I was using RealBand in the first place---as a workaround to the 255 bar limit. But rather than take the time to go into those problems in this email, I strongly encourage you to read through the discussions I started on the "255 bar limit" in your Band in a Box and RealBand Windows product forums. I also shared a video in the discussion on the RealBand forum that shows the main issue I had contacted you about. The links to this video and to both discussions are at the end of my original email below, but I'll provide them again here:

(links included)

Thanks for revisiting this issue.

Tom"

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
You are persistent, I will give you that, but what about buggy do you not understand? <said with a big smile grin >

RealBand
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
You are persistent, I will give you that, but what about buggy do you not understand? <said with a big smile grin >

I sure am! And I hope that's a good thing---especially in this case.

Are you asking me about "buggy" or "baggage"? I suspect that you're using both terms interchangeably. As I mentioned above, my primary intended use of RB is to generate arrangements for my songs that exceed the 255 bar limit and to save those arrangements as instrumental demos that I can share with other people. But after Pipeline suggested in a reply to my discussion of this issue on the BiaB forum that I check out the VST plugin for using two instances of BiaB within Tracktion, I'm thinking of pursuing that option instead of RB when I have the time to set it up and try it out, which I haven't done yet. Nevertheless, I'm not done pursuing a resolution of this issue in RB yet and won't until I'm sure that I've "beaten this horse" completely to death. grin

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
But after Pipeline suggested in a reply to my discussion of this issue on the BiaB forum that I check out the VST plugin for using two instances of BiaB within Tracktion, I'm thinking of pursuing that option instead of RB when I have the time to set it up and try it out

If you had fun exploring RB, you are going to have a blast with the BIAB VST. I can't wait for all the drama to come. grin

Quote:
...until I'm sure that I've "beaten this horse" completely to death

Not the first time I have heard this expression here in the forum. crazy

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,478
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195