Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#539457 06/04/19 04:32 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh
A
OP Offline
A
Apparently, the moment of truth is nearly upon us. Catalina will officially discontinue support for 32-bit apps. BIAB is currently one of those apps.

Please, someone from PG Music chime in and tell me that a 64-bit build is forthcoming. I've used BIAB since the mid 90s. I rely on it. I shouldn't have to delay critical OS updates to my computer because an update would break BIAB.

I guess I'm disappointed. I just got off support chat, and no solid information was available. The world has known about this situation for 3+ years. Again, I'm just very disappointed.

Hopefully, the mods will appreciate that I've tried to be constructive with this post. No offense intended, hopefully none taken. I just have certain expectations when I pay good money for a product and have been a loyal (and vocal) supporter of said product for decades. I will volunteer to be a beta tester if necessary. I have 30+ years experience working with software development as a tech writer.

Last edited by Atmospheric; 06/04/19 04:33 AM.
Expert
Expert
There are many threads on this subject. What we know:

a) BIAB 2019 for Windows is 64 bit and has been out a few months now.

b) A 64 bit version for Mac is supposed to be on its way.

c) No release date has been announced

d) No beta has been released

e) The current versions of BIAB 2018 work well in Apple's currently supported OS: Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave

Since (e) is true, BIAB 2019 for Mac will have to be compatible with OS 10.15 and the developer beta of that OS was released this week, (c) and (d) make a lot of sense to me.

I have my upgrade $$$ budgeted, too.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks for the response. I don’t frequent this forum. My first attempt to find information was to engage support via chat. It’s not at all unreasonable to expect support to provide me the information you just did. Derek (chat rep) wouldn’t even verify that BIAB 2019 Mac would be 64-bit.

Anyway, great news. I’ll definitely be upgrading.

V
V
I can confirm that current BIAB is not working on current beta of macOS Catalina

Last edited by v1597psh; 06/05/19 05:42 AM.
Apprentice
Apprentice
i have a feeling that we will get the 64bit version with an AU plug-in feature like Windows. This functionality could really inprove PG Music placement into the producer market

w Offline
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Atmospheric
Thanks for the response. I don’t frequent this forum. My first attempt to find information was to engage support via chat. It’s not at all unreasonable to expect support to provide me the information you just did. Derek (chat rep) wouldn’t even verify that BIAB 2019 Mac would be 64-bit.

Anyway, great news. I’ll definitely be upgrading.

Excellent comment.

It has been known for years ( at least for the past 30/40 years that I have been supporting/purchasing the annual updates ) that the Mac versions of the Band are years behind the Window version . Even features noted in the manuals that just don't work in the Mac . On the other hand PG offer a 30day no questions/hassle refund ( not available with many of the high end DAW's ) .

I truly feel sorry for PG's tech crew having to respond to questions such as yours which is a very valid question/concern . Ultimately it is MR PG himself that has left his tech crew out of the loop and also his customers .

Mac Audiophile 2020 2019 2018 2017 USB plus previous years versions

macOS Mojave - 10.14.6 @ Aug 16, 2019

iMac i3 3.6 GHz 8GB RAM 4K with Retina display

some examples @ sound cloud done with Mac Band and DAW's : https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
w #541952 06/20/19 05:25 AM
N
Journeyman
Journeyman
N
Originally Posted By: w

I truly feel sorry for PG's tech crew having to respond to questions such as yours which is a very valid question/concern. Ultimately it is MR PG himself that has left his tech crew out of the loop and also his customers .

I personally i just think the task and man-resources of bringing BIAB Mac into the 2020 century are so onerous - as the continual bugginess of tis product proves - YET...... this tech is so amazing and more so in its future potential that its time the PG owners seriously consider selling the tech to Yamaha. And put it under the wing of the Steinberg team.

The sale should be contingent on Yamaha putting a serious investment into a new developer team which can really take the product forward - and rethink the GUI - and more to the point - integrate BIAB as a VST3 into the Cubase and DAW ecosystem.

Imagine if a BIAB VST3 plugin ( maybe with a server back end into a new version of BIAB ) for MIDI styles could use any instrument in HALION Sonic SE ( or even full sonic )

Imagine if the power of BIAB was combined with the back catalog of Yamaha PG and Genos/Tyros styles and sounds - merged into a new style format.

PG Music could then become the supper of purely style content.

And RealBand and PowerTracks of course would be ditched - and instead an upgrade/side grade deal to a Cubase of some sort could be built into the transition.

BIAB needs new blood developer wise. Clearly - with the archaic old code from Atari days still in there its time for something new.

And YAMAHA has shown good form in handling its acquisitions over the decades. Both Sternberg and Line 6 have flourished.

Big Sur, Mac Mini i7 2018, 64GB RAM 2TB SSD
Yamaha PSR SX 900, Cubase, Ableton, UNIFY, OPUS ORCHESTRATOR, MASCHINE, Vienna Ensemble Pro ,Audiofuse, L6 HELI, KOMPLETE, Komplete Kontrol 88
Lockdown beard, podgy face, beer belly, bald patch ... yadda yadda
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Atmospheric
Derek (chat rep) wouldn’t even verify that BIAB 2019 Mac would be 64-bit.

Hi Atmospheric,

Because the possibility of 64-bit is about a future release, it's standard practice for PG Music to keep all new features under wraps until the release. It's the same with the Windows version.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I think they were saying that all apps will keep working without any issues from macOS Santa Cruz 10.16 on. That is awesome news, total compatibility, no more headaches and frustration for developers and users, no more different apps for different versions of macOS.

But back to PG, they have made a quantum leap this year going to 64bit and especially the plugin that is now working really well after giving the Win users a bit of grief getting it sorted, so for the Mac users it will be worth the wait, forget about getting a mac RealBand the plugin is the way to go.

Veteran
Veteran
"I think they were saying that all apps will keep working without any issues from macOS Santa Cruz 10.16 on. That is awesome news, total compatibility, no more headaches and frustration for developers and users, no more different apps for different versions of macOS. "

Apple said that? And what the heck is macOS Santa Cruz? I must have missed something....

Thanks

Bud

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Yes, as Windows has an advertising campaign saying win apps just keep running and you don't need a new app version for each new os version update so apple did not want to be out done by this and will make it so from the next island version on stay compatible with apps.
I think too it's from all the complaining, standing up and feedback mac user have been giving apple and not just to take what apple thinks is best and just grin n bear it (you must follow and obey the leader at all times).

Quote:

Product Feedback
Apple strives to bring the best personal computing experience to students, educators, creative professionals and consumers around the world through its innovative hardware, software and Internet offerings. Apple welcomes your feedback on its products. Begin by selecting a product below.
https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
ve been giving apple and not just to take what apple thinks is best and just grin n bear it (you must follow and obey the leader at all times).

Conspiracy theory or stand-up comedy?

If Apple took customer feedback seriously in charting the future, we'd be eagerly awaiting the latest version of the Apple II and hoping that it wouldn't mess up VisiCalc.

Windows wouldn't exist and MS would still be trying to tell us that DOS rules. Perhaps it would.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I think what I'll do to solve the issue is Carbon Copy Clone my 10.9 drive to some new drives then upgrade or downgrade each drive to a different version, then when you go to run an app and it says you need this version or that version, I just reboot to the boot menu and select that drive. You could even have a common drive to store files on.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Microsoft, despite its compatibility modes in Windows 10, is not above breaking perfectly good software. I had to update and recompile my database applications from Windows XP that simply would not run on Windows 8 or 10.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Expert
Expert
I think what I'll do to solve the issue is Carbon Copy Clone my 10.9 drive to some new drives then upgrade or downgrade each drive to a different version, then when you go to run an app and it says you need this version or that version, I just reboot to the boot menu and select that drive. You could even have a common drive to store files on.
Ahhhh Comedy. Ignoring the fact that it wouldn't work, it would be fun to watch.
Quote:
Microsoft, despite its compatibility modes in Windows 10, is not above breaking perfectly good software. I had to update and recompile my database applications from Windows XP that simply would not run on Windows 8 or 10.

I spent 23 years in a Windows environment, many of them doing tech support for local software firms. When someone goes on about the fantasy of Windows compatibility, I have volumes of horror stories about that nonsense—and it certainly is.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Quote:
Ignoring the fact that it wouldn't work, it would be fun to watch.

for something that don't work it seems to work fine.
You can partition the drive but I used separate 120SSD to keep it all separate.
It's a good way to try betas. When I was googling it the main reason users create multiboot systems is because of app compatibility, the same reason I did it, and also what I thought of with Carbon Copy is what they do.
Heck you can even add a Linux and Win in there. I've used BootCamp but this way is better. I remember using rEFIt on one of the Macs also to boot Lion or Win7 and installed the hfs driver from the bootcamp package.

"I was using El Capitan without issues till now. I'm starting to use Pro Tools 10 which is incompatible with El Capitan, so I will need to install a previous OS X version like Mavericks to make it work."
"I used CCC successfully to partition up an external hard drive and install multiple Mac OSes on it, so that I could boot my computer from Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion or Mavericks."

"High Sierra was the last version of macOS that fully supported 32-bit applications. It’s likely that in Mojave, if a 32-bit app runs at all, it will have problems with performance and stability. Microsoft Office 2011 is 32-bit, as is Adobe CS 6. So, if you want to keep using those apps, you’ll need to run them in High Sierra. That means you’ll need to install macOS Mojave on a separate volume."

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
The issues with Mac that I state are true, as I said I love Mac but it totally puts me off it with nearly every update something don't work or you need to update to the latest version.
You need to be honest, I be honest with the issues with Biab and that has got me in a lot of hot water from other users that don't speak up, just take what they are given and make do with issues or problems, but I tell the truth and speak out and a lot of things have changed. You need to do that will apple, don't just accept what they give the followers, complain, stand up, be honest and bring about a change. The leader doesn't always know whats best.
They is no way in the world you get app compatibility issues every time you download updates with Windows like Mac, it's not a completion I love windows and hate mac, I love mac and hate windows. I beta test the win and mac to make them both better !!!!

N
Journeyman
Journeyman
N
forget about getting a mac RealBand the plugin is the way to go.

Agreed. RealBand should be retired eventually to allow resources to be focused better on BIAB and the plugin.

Did it ever have much of a user base?

Big Sur, Mac Mini i7 2018, 64GB RAM 2TB SSD
Yamaha PSR SX 900, Cubase, Ableton, UNIFY, OPUS ORCHESTRATOR, MASCHINE, Vienna Ensemble Pro ,Audiofuse, L6 HELI, KOMPLETE, Komplete Kontrol 88
Lockdown beard, podgy face, beer belly, bald patch ... yadda yadda
nonchai #542968 06/26/19 02:13 PM
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I was using it for a while, promoted it way back and it served a purpose but was a little too error prone. The idea behind it is what the plugin now uses, a biab app that runs silently in the background generating up the tracks (this side is very solid) to a folder that are then played back in sync to the DAW or dragged in. I'm just using the plugin in Reaper now with ReaTrak that imports the chords from the plugin into Reaper, you can also generate up the RealDrum track directly in Reaper that gives you a bit more control, it will let you fit tracks from the plugin to a tempo map so it will fit RealTracks/Drums to a live session.
Just looking also to create a script to get the chords from the plugin into Cubase.
They might be adding midi import to the plugin to get the tempo map/time signatures from the DAW into the plugin or vice versa and be able to export the chords from the plugin via midi file markers.

Expert
Expert
You described a technical impossibility and are trying to back it up with random quotes off the internet.

I am all for having a discussion — but that isn't it.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199