Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#528483 03/12/19 02:34 PM
RealBand
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi friends, hope all is well! I have a question for other RealBand users. If you were moving to another quality DAW, Which one's UI and methodology do you think would feel the most familiar and comfortable?

I'm considering doing this, but I dread the thought of having to relearn a program from scratch. I've become quite comfortable in RB but it does have a few limitations.

On the other side of the coin, let me say that since uninstalling 2017 and installing 2019, things have been more stable and works better than ever before. This may be due to bug fixes in RB, and/or my having cleaned up the numerous extra synthesizer engines and plugins that came with both BIAB and my audio interface. I'd had numerous crashes and lockups with 2017, problems with features like volume nodes, etc. Now, however, everything is very stable!

A couple of things that bother me about RB, is that although you can group multiple channels to a single subgroup, you cannot record a mixer move on the combined fader, nor, to the best of my knowlege, can you easily automate a whole song fade-out.

Thanks for your time and consideration of this!

Best, Warren

Warren A. Keller- Woodwindist/Producer
Spontaneous Groovin' Combustion
Tune 9 Music- SESAC
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Warren,

I use Reaper. It's great with MIDI and audio and handles all the VSTs/DXs that I need. I also like the free tutorials that are provided by Kenny Giaoa.

http://www.kennymania.com/reaper-videos/

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
RealBand
H
Journeyman
Journeyman
H
Hi Warren,
Im with Noel on that.I use Reaper and it can take from just doing the basics to super indept and the videos from Kenny G are so good and helpful,H

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Warren,

Indications are most people will respond with what they use. It makes sense as the daw they use will be the daw they are most comfortable with. However, what makes a daw a good fit for one person may not make it a good fit for you.

I suggest a different approach; write down the ten most important tasks you want to perform in a daw and then visit sites, read reviews and download demo/trial or free versions to take interesting daws for a test ride.

Generally speaking you'll find three types of daws. One type is those that were developed with strong audio features with MIDI added later on; ProTools is representative of that group. Another type is those developed to sequence MIDI and audio features were added later; Cubase and Cakewalk by BandLab (formerly Sonar) are examples from this group of daws. Last is the type of daw first developed to work with loops or audio chunks; Reason, Ableton Live and Florida Line (sometimes named just FL or Fruit Loops) are examples of this group. Having said that, every modern daw I know of can work with MIDI, audio and loops. But, because of their heritage each may be more feature rich in one area than the other two areas.

Two sites worth visiting are +++ Digital Audio Workstation Wiki Comparison +++ and +++ Digital Audio Editor Comparison +++. The second link in particular has some interesting feature comparison charts.

Another link worth clicking on is +++ THIS +++ web article that describes a method to follow when asking the question, "What Is The Best DAW For Me?" The article offers some good food-for-thought.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
RealBand
Expert
Expert
Hi Warren, I agree with what Jim has to say but I have another idea for you.

For the past few weeks I have been in Thailand so I don’t have access to my PC. The PG Music site is almost unusable for me here. (All other sites are fine). The frustration had me throwing my arms up in despair.

What am I to do I thought, so I went to the Groove 3 site and spent US$15 to access all for a month. Initially to learn more about Melodyne (but been so busy with other products have not got to Melodyne yet). Now on this site you have access to the explanations and methods of a number of DAWs and an assortment of other stuff. Here you will see the uses and functionality of many DAWs, plugins and various other aspects of music production. Had I gone here some time ago I would have saved a heap of money and time.

I really recommend spending the $15 having a look IMHO this will help you make the best choice for your needs.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Reaper is good and inexpensive (something like $69). Cakewalk by BandLab (which is what used to be the somewhat pricey Sonar Platinum) is free, so at least worth checking out. Acoustica Mixcraft is nice also and not too expensive.

I could never really wrap my head around Cubase or Tracktion (now called Waveform), both of which I have, but that could just be me. Likewise for N-Track. And Multitrack Studio works, but is more basic and I don't care for its more sparse interface.

Just my $0.02 worth, and losing value every day. smile

EDIT: I generally use either Realband or Cakewalk by BandLab. The Sonar interface for me was more comfortable than the others. But as has already been said, to each his own.

Last edited by jford; 03/13/19 02:44 AM.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Generally speaking you'll find three types of daws.......

Very well described Jim! I never would have thought of it in that perspective.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
RealBand
R
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
R
I have personally used a ton of them.

For simplicity and robust, stable operation nothing even comes close to multitrackstudios. Yet it works very different from other DAWs. Once you get the flow down it flat out gets it done. The plugins are world class, and the ability to treat both audio and midi the same in a track is really cool. It makes a great companion for BiaB and RB.

Spent a long time with cakewalk products from home studio on floppy disk to Sonar 1 and now I have Bandlab. For free it is solid for sure. There’s a lot there. You can’t go wrong there. I did find since Bandlab took over it had a few things stripped out that Sonar had so you do need more third party stuff to add in than a few others that you pay for. I have read this is why it’s free they don’t have to pay for the licensing formplugins and VSTis.

Also bought Reaper a while back and it is solid as the folks say above. Also has extreme flexibility to route things in many different ways. The only downside to me was how much time I spent trying to set things up. I spent more time fiddling with stuff than completing projects. I did view many video tutorials but it seemed to busy and complex to me. Under the hood.

I have used RB since inception and still love it but always found it shackey at times and certainly missing a few things, but what else creates like it does.

I bought a Presonus interface a few years back and it came with studio one, I upgraded a time or two and now have the latest pro version. I must say for me it is the best for how I think and operated. The chord track, highly skilled comping features, solid simple and useable automation just work best for me. I think it just edges out Bandlab for me in how it works. I also love the ability to render stem files that open in Protools to be a plus.

I have four on my current Laptop, Studio one 4, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reaper, and RB (powertracks also so 5) If I had to pick one to keep I would pick Studio one just because it fits my work flow best and finishes project for me with less issues.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
RealBand
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
You guys are da' best- thank you so much. Looking at Reaper's interface, despite the stated flexibility, it doesn't look like a virtual mixing board, which is something I value in RealBand, and something I don't think I'd want to lose. Also should have mentioned, I'm currently not doing MIDI yet, just track generation by BIAB/RB, and live recording of saxes and flutes. I've wondered if with the institution of the BIAB DAW plugins, and the fact that RB did not go to 64-bit as did BIAB, if PGM isn't going to develop RB much more. Honestly, as I've stated, 2019 is really stable for me now. If I had the fader abilities I mentioned in the original post, and a bit easier editing (still find zooming in, scrolling down in Tracks [and the editing window] a bit wonky), I think I'd be satisfied to stay. Thanks again everyone!

Best, Warren

Warren A. Keller- Woodwindist/Producer
Spontaneous Groovin' Combustion
Tune 9 Music- SESAC
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I use Studio One Pro but asking which DAW should I use is like asking what car should I drive. We all have our preferences.

My advice is to DL the demos of the various DAWs and see which one best fits your workflow. Only you can answer your what DAW question.

I use Studio One Pro because it is extremely easy to drag and drop BiaB files, both MIDI and audio, into it. Also you drag and drop MIDI instruments and audio effects very easily. Recording is a snap also. I find that Studio One Pro fits my workflow perfectly. YMMV.

{edit} - Just remember that there is a learning curve for all pro DAWs.

Last edited by MarioD; 03/13/19 07:19 AM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
A lot of the answers you have gotten (I did not read them) are likely based more on "because it's free" than actual performance, and having spent the money to buy Pro Tools I recommend it highly. I have yet to be in a legitimate studio, legitimate meaning "one that bands actually pay money to record in" that ran a free DAW. Every one of them had Pro Tools. Now a dozen people are going to pile on and tell me about some studio, ONE studio, that their buddy's barber's cousin's butcher's nephew operates, that uses what they use, and that's fine. Whatever. But you will not go wrong with Pro Tools. Pro Tools costs 200 beers, 85 packs of smokes if you do that, 40 large take out pizzas, or $600.

Last edited by eddie1261; 03/13/19 02:02 PM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
RealBand
Expert
Expert
See this article on DAWs

https://theproaudiofiles.com/daw-guide/

It has a good look at many. Each DAW has its pros and cons.

Most serious folk have more than DAW and use them for purposes that meet their needs. Pro Tools for example would be the way to go if you’re bouncing from studio to studio. Cakewalk if you’re doing a little home producing and don’t have a lot to spend. Reaper if you want to play and get into how things work. (By the way Reaper has a great mixer panel)

IMHO however it is the extra tools (plugins) you need and how easy they fit into a DAW to suit you’re needs that should drive you’re decision.

My thoughts
Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Warren Keller
You guys are da' best- thank you so much. Looking at Reaper's interface, despite the stated flexibility, it doesn't look like a virtual mixing board, which is something I value in RealBand, and something I don't think I'd want to lose.

Hi Warren,

CTRL+M opens the mixer window (which has many different display-type options. I wonder if this is what you're after.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
RealBand
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Robh - <<< For simplicity and robust, stable operation nothing even comes close to multitrack studios.>>>

Multi track, stand alone recorders are the most overlooked, under rated option available to the home recordist. I've found them to also be very cost effective. In my case I own a Soundcraft Signature 22MTK analog mixer that has a 24/22 USB audio interface included. Street price new is $720 (demo) and a list price of $899. I also have a Presonus DP192 8 channel interface and faderport 8 that essentially serves the same purpose. While it can record 26/32 in/out's, it only has 8 preamps. The Faderport 8 only has 8 faders and together the two units retail for $1,400. Additional equipment is required to physically access the additional 18 inputs. The Companion Presonus Digimax DP88 retails for an additional $699. $2,100 total cost for 16 preamp inputs.

The 22MTK has no menus to get to its features. There's 25 faders; 16 preamps; 3 dedicated line stereo inputs; 5 Aux sends; 4 groups; PFL; Two studio quality Fx engines with dedicated returns; 8 channels with on board limiters and two channels with instrument DI's. All at two thirds of the cost I can record 24 inputs without any other interface equipment necessary.

The Presonus unit has to have special, dedicated software to handle latency. The 22MTK has native zero latency. The 22MTK will fully integrate with Presonus Studio One DAW and every other DAW.

I chose the 22MTK because at the time I had need for it as a live mixer also. Similar 8 preamp input units are available by Soundcraft, Zoom and Tascam in the $500 range that work well in home studios.

However, stand alone multitrack recorders by Zoom, Tascam and other manufacturers that may only record two tracks simultaneously are very reasonably priced and very simple to operate and learn.

DAW's are great but in many home use environments are overkill. If your normal song project consists of 12-16 tracks at most, what is the necessity to have unlimited tracks? Hybrid mixers and stand alone units will contain enough Fx's and dynamics at a sufficient quality to record commercial quality projects. It's done every day.

With hybrid mixers and stand alone units, regardless of the price level you choose, one still has complete access to external DAW's and all the features and add-on's they contain. It's literally the best of both worlds without the unnecessary cons of latency, complicated routing, CPU consideration, mobility, limited physical inputs, lack of physical knobs, buttons and faders and the pros of easy learning curve, stability and no computer crashes..

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Robh - <<< For simplicity and robust, stable operation nothing even comes close to multitrack studios.>>>

Charlie -

I could be wrong, but I think he meant "MultiTrack Studio" (MTS) (which I also referenced). It's fine and solid, but has a more sparse interface for working with your audio. But that's just my opinion. I know there are others on the forum here that love it.

John

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Use the simplest program that does what you need. Features aren't features if you don't use them.They just get in the way.

Last edited by silvertones; 03/14/19 07:13 AM.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
RealBand
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: jford
Quote:

Charlie -

I could be wrong, but I think he meant "MultiTrack Studio" (MTS) (which I also referenced). It's fine and solid, but has a more sparse interface for working with your audio. But that's just my opinion. I know there are others on the forum here that love it.

You're right I'm sure but it made a good segue into my pitch for stand alone's I hope. wink

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 03/14/19 09:32 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Yep, it was good info.

John

RealBand
R
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
R
Great info on stand alone. As far as MTS, It might be sparse but if you really dig in it is pretty detailed under the hood. The thing it does best it treat both audio and midi the same.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
BTW, I'm not knocking MTS, just feel more comfortable in Sonar/Cakewalk.

John

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195