Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
If you don't know how to do it your best to leave it alone.
I have no problem at all doing it.

Expert
Expert
Hey Mike, I wouldn't be so quick to write Pipeline off.
Look for some of his older posts, he's done some crazy stuff just because he could. smile

I actually followed the instructions he posted for running RealBand in a WINE wrapper a while back and it worked surprisingly well.
I also played around with it for a while too, but found it a bit kludgey routing MIDI over IAC busses, and audio through Soundflower just to link the Windows and Mac sides.
Amazingly though, it did work pretty well feeding into Logic on the Mac side (and with surprisingly little latency too). shocked

So if anybody here could do something that most would call "impossible" it would be Pipline. laugh

As far as multiple operating systems/backward compatibility, if that's one of the points of contention (I'm not sure if I'm following this discussion correctly, it's getting a bit confusing now). LOL blush

Right now I currently have Snow Leopard, El Capitan, and High Sierra partitions I can boot from, and I'm sure I can still boot all the in between versions if I bothered to load them.
I have a drive sitting on the desk which I was booting Mojave from, but too many plugin UI graphics glitches with my "non metal" card, so I shelved it for now.

One of my main reasons for multi-booting is that I have a lot of older work in Cubase SX3 which was PPC only, so I boot into Snow Leopard fairly often to export files for use in Logic or Cubase 10.
It's a testament to how far the hardware has come in 10 years that I can run a PPC program in a 10 year old operating system, even through "Rosetta's" dynamic compilation and have it feel like the same performance as back in the day (feel not benchmarks).
With 12 cores, solid state drives, and boatloads of RAM I can run anything all the way back to the advent of 32 bit programs (be it PPC or Intel) and have it actually be useable.

Sorry if I lost the point of this conversation, and sent it out into left field, but I believe you were still talking about backward compatibility right ?
If not then as Emily Litella used to say... "never mind". blush

Anyway... back to Catilina....
I've been using BIAB since version 3 or 4 (late '80's can't remember), and I've seen PG make the leap from 16 to 32 bits, 68K to PPC, PPC to Intel, and every roadblock Apple has thrown up with their OS updates in between.

I have complete confidence that they will be able to make the transition to 64 bits.

- Jay

MacPro 5,1/12 core@3.46GHz -- OS X 10.14.6 -- ATI 7970 -- 32 Gig RAM -- Crucial 500GB OS SSD -- Samsung EVO 1TB Audio/Sample SSD -- BIAB 2023 -- Logic Pro X -- Cubase Elements 11 -- Too many plugins
Expert
Expert
I know why I threw the red flag and have no intention of going down that rabbit hole.

Anyway, the MacOS is going forward. BIAB must do the same and we've been told they are so all's good on that front. Just wish they'd hurry up

Posts about how the Mac OS should try to remain backwards compatible are pointless. Apple announced this (removing 32 bit support) for what became Yosemite OS 10.10 then kicked the can. I'm glad to see it. Every major OS/iOS upgrade has benefited me greatly—would I feel the same were I not handicapped? Pointless speculation since I can't undo what happened.

Comparisons with Windows are just silly. First off, the vaunted backwards compatibility is more legend than fact — as I found when I was supporting 95/NT apps the week that XT was released (that was a nightmare for many companies). I signed an NDA regarding how it affected aspects of our product. Later, some of my older apps never survived the transition to Win7. I think my current company is officially Windows but most of us use Macs now because of our core app — it's possible I was the first to discover the advantages.

In any case, that Apple is pulling the plug on 32bit and Microsoft isn't (yet?) can be subject for endless discussion but it doesn't mean anything really. It's a fact and isn't going away. No amount of yak, yak, yak can change that.

In short: There's no problem to be solved here other than we haven't seen BIAB 2019 for the Mac. I'll be surprised if it's released before September when it will be tested against the shipping OS 10.15 but that's a guess. Until PG Music lets us know, all we can do is speculate.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Apprentice
Apprentice
I think BIAB as a AU inside of Logic Pro will really expand the market for PG and can be a game breaker for publishers who are using a lot of inferior solutions. I think the secret we all have here (and the competitive advantage) will disappear as more people use this.

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Bob P
I think BIAB as a AU inside of Logic Pro will really expand the market for PG and can be a game breaker for publishers who are using a lot of inferior solutions. I think the secret we all have here (and the competitive advantage) will disappear as more people use this.
Yes, that feature in 2019 for Windows shows promise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8aAOQmhOw8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVShb4lZr4w

Ok, I'll bite. How would BIAB as a plugin in Logic be a "game breaker for publishers"?

I can see it benefitting composers and arrangers — especially those under a deadline but publishers? What am I not seeing?

I used to use the BIAB plugin in Finale when doing infomercials under deadline so I know the value.

We can hope that 2019 for Mac will include the new plug as an AU. If not, a 64 bit VST will be fine for most of us though not Logic users.

I'd really like to see the BIAB plugin come back for Finale. That would be really nice.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Apprentice
Apprentice
Sorry-- you are correct-- I didn't proof read--- I wrote publishers when I really meant producers/composers

R
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
R
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran

Anyway, the MacOS is going forward. BIAB must do the same and we've been told they are so all's good on that front.

Hi Mike - has PG Music officially stated they are developing a proper 64-bit app for Mac? Looking at the state of the current app, and the UX, I am worried that the (not insignificant amount of) money I tipped into buying this product 6 months ago is going to be wasted.

I find it quite bizarre that PG Music keeps silent on their plans, and doesn't discuss a roadmap. They currently own this market, but are missing out on all the music producers who use iOS, and potentially MacOS and iPadOS going forward. If we knew they were properly redeveloping the app in Swift, and had their eye on SwiftUI and Project Catalyst, it would be a great relief for the future of the app in the Apple world. Unfortunately, from what I can see of their customer support and the existing app, I am not particularly confident that they are on top of this. I seriously doubt we will see an AUV3 Band in a Box plugin anytime soon, if ever - which would be a waste of the resources and IP they have built over the years. It's not like they haven't had enough time to develop a proper product roadmap for Apple's technology future. And a hell of a lot of musicians and producers are all-in on Apple and Logic Pro.

Expert
Expert
That 2019 for the Mac is coming was mentioned in response to one of many threads on this subject. I don't have time to look through all of them to find it.

Since it must be compatible with the next MacOS, I'll be surprised if it's released before Catalina.

Quote:
I seriously doubt we will see an AUV3 Band in a Box plugin anytime soon, if ever
Since no version of BIAB exists for iOS, I can't imagine we will in 2019. The app called Band in a Box in the App Store is a client app for certain BIAB Windows functionality on your iOS device—not the same thing.

AUv3 is not required for Catalina. I think the rollout to Marzipan based apps will be a lot slower than any of the wishful thinkers would like to see.

With Marzipan, OS 10.15 is making this possible—iOS apps to the Mac, not waving some kind of magic wand that just allows it to happen. It's a one-way street and does nothing to make Mac apps run in iOS.

Logic users will need to see an AU plugin for that new DAW functionality so it will be nice if it's there. Most other DAWs on the Mac can use VSTs including Digital Performer. I will be upset only if the plugin isn't there.

R
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
R
That 2019 for the Mac is coming was mentioned in response to one of many threads on this subject. I don't have time to look through all of them to find it.

What I am wanting to know is whether PG Music has ever officially stated that BIAB 2019 for Mac was coming - and that it would be 64 bit. I have tried to ask customer support but they were totally evasive. I worry that this major redevelopment might be too hard and not deemed worthwhile.

Since no version of BIAB exists for iOS, I can't imagine we will in 2019. The app called Band in a Box in the App Store is a client app for certain BIAB Windows functionality on your iOS device—not the same thing.

AUv3 is not required for Catalina.

My mistake, I meant to say AU, not AUV3. Many Mac users would be using Logic Pro X and a VST won't be much use. Sure, I would love to see BIAB on iOS but understand that is not viable at the moment due to the state of the legacy code.

I think the rollout to Marzipan based apps will be a lot slower than any of the wishful thinkers would like to see.

What I am getting at is if PG Music were to outline that they were redeveloping this properly utilising the Cocoa framework and programming it with Swift then a number of future possibilities will start to open up. And declarative user interfaces in SwiftUI, along with Project Catalyst/Marzipan, are as close to a magic wand as an Apple developer is likely to find... :-)

I am just hoping PG Music are all in with where Apple is going - but am not feeling confident from my experiences to date. I don't mind if they initially have to launch a very limited feature set providing they have built something on a proper modern framework.

Expert
Expert
Quote:
My mistake, I meant to say AU, not AUV3
Ok, that makes more sense.
Quote:
Many Mac users would be using Logic Pro X and a VST won't be much use.
I've said the same thing but there are other DAWs that can use VSTs on a Mac — such as nearly all others.

Finale must use AUs only but it isn't a DAW. I'd really like to see a BIAB plugin for Finale but, if not, I can fire up Finale 2014.5 on one of my other iMacs that doesn't run Mojave and use the BIAB plugin there like I did in 2002. If I need to badly enough, I'll make it work.

How often does PG Music tell us in advance what's coming? Not very... though sometimes they do.

I have no pipeline into them except the same as anyone else—email and phone. I don't really care about the timeline—it happens when it does and I have my upgrade budgeted for that eventuality.

If 2019 doesn't happen, I'll pull out one of my older iMacs to run 2018 when I need to (I have a few that can't run Catalina) but my iMac Pro will be updated within a few weeks of the general release—my music industry day job will require it.

Worst case for me? Nothing changes and I keep my money. PG Music won't get my upgrade $$$, however, and I have the Audiophile version.

I spent over a decade working for a Windows software company and have consulted to Apple (scanning and printing working properly beginning OS 10.8.2—you're welcome). Not knowing exactly what's coming and when; not being told or having to keep info secret till a release, not revealing beta, NDAs, not discussing anything about what I do for a living... All in a day's work in the Silicon Valley.

Apprentice
Apprentice
Re Band in a Box 2019 for Mac.

I am not sure if this is true or not, I found it on the Facebook Band in a Box user-group. Joanne Cooper who is an authorised seller in Johannesburg claims the word from PG Music is late August.

We will just have to wait and see I guess, but I hope its true or I will be stuck on Mojave.

Expert
Expert
Quote:
Joanne Cooper who ... claims the word from PG Music is late August.

That should be around the time that the final beta is released for Catalina. Makes sense.

Thanks for the heads up!

Apprentice
Apprentice
Is the audiophile version that much better to justify the cost?

Veteran
Veteran

The answer is, it depends. For education, practice and hobbyist use, the answer is likely no. For users that create audio for commercial distribution or have really good hearing, yes.

The difference essentially boils down to the answer to the question, Can you hear or need the difference in fidelity between using a compressed (lossy) or uncompressed (lossless) audio file? Generally speaking most people can not tell the difference when a compressed or uncompressed RealTrack or RealDrum audio file is played. Those that do hear distortion in the higher frequencies.

User Matt Finley created a post that provides a more detailed answer +++ HERE +++

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle

The answer is, it depends. For education, practice and hobbyist use, the answer is likely no. For users that create audio for commercial distribution or have really good hearing, yes.

What Jim says.

Often, the Audiophile Tracks don't have what I need. That's ok—like the rest of BIAB, they're time savers. If I'm not using the Audiophile tracks, it's because I've ported the MIDI over into a DAW and am assigning other VIs (virtual instruments).

When I pull out BIAB, someone is getting invoiced. My customers are getting the best quality that I can deliver — whether they can hear it or not.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
You described a technical impossibility..

Now that's working fine, I just need the MacBB 2019.8
but while I'm waiting I can boot up on Win7 or Win10 and use WinBB 2019.
If an app won't run I boot on the Mac volume that will run it.
I can use any OS without feeling embarrassed or ashamed that my Mac or Win friends will find out that I'm doing such a sacrilegious thing.
I have no problem using any OS all day long as long as I can create music on it smile I drove a BMW the other day and then got out into a Honda, they were a bit different but I soon got the hang of it.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199