Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#544474 - 07/07/19 07:32 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: PETITION: Mr Gannon: Sell your company or full BIAB IP rights and tech to YAMAHA [Re: nonchai]
Loc: Lake Keowee, South Carolina
MountainSide Offline
Expert

Loc: Lake Keowee, South Carolina
-1 from me too!
Win10x64, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB current builds, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive Touch, Kontakt 5.8, SampleTank 4.05

#544555 - 07/07/19 11:37 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: PETITION: Mr Gannon: Sell your company or full BIAB IP rights and tech to YAMAHA [Re: nonchai]
balbuena Offline
Enthusiast

I love biab as it is, I do not support your petition.

#545114 - 07/12/19 07:11 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: PETITION: Mr Gannon: Sell your company or full BIAB IP rights and tech to YAMAHA [Re: VideoTrack]
nonchai Online   content
Apprentice

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Yamaha is a huge company with extensive resources. If they wanted to, they could just develop their own product. They wouldn't need to purchase another company's system to deliver anything. Why do they need to purchase BiaB to produce a product? They are absolutely capable to independently develop their own technology, surely? But they haven't done this. Also, they may not be in the slightest bit interested in BiaB.

I personally don't support the petition.

well. PG Music do have patents out on aspects of the BIAB RealTrack technology for starters. Plus even with extensive resources it might make for more sense both practically and financially to NOT reinvent the wheel - and instead build on existing foundations and - particularly the style content audio-wise.

One might just as well ask the same question in regard to Cubase or Line 6's. amp modelling tech and IP.

#545119 - 07/12/19 07:23 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Biab Plugin [Re: Pipeline]
nonchai Online   content
Apprentice

Originally Posted By: Pipeline

Clearly a tighter integration into a DAW like Cubase depends on the DAW developers being open to liaison and API support of the necessary technical requirements. Sometimes this is already supported in some sense - like for example the DOM object model in Ableton for Max4Live programming and support for python scripts for 3rd Pty hardware in Ableton . But I have no idea how much similar support is available nowadays in Cubase, Logic or PT or other DAWs.
Yea like ARA, maybe that will be implemented in the plugin down the track

I don't think you will be disappointed with the plugin when the Mac version is release (soon hopefully), as it's come a long way since the initial Win release.
[/quote]

To me - With Cubase now having its own arranger feature which allows one to structure song sections - it would seem that a much closer liaison Wirth Steinberg/Yamaha. with regard to making the song structure metadata in BIAB keep in-sync with arranger metadata in the Cubase project would only be achievable at all With a very close collaboration of both teams.

And to me it would seem that once a BIAB plugin is being used - to have BIAB reflect changes in the Cubase Pro song-form arranger structure and regenerate accordingly would be very desirable.

But would Steinberg/Yamaha be so willing to pass on the details and make some kind of API for just BIAB in order to do this - unless there was some better and tighter form of contractual liason between the two?

I suppose it could be argued Celemony have been able to do this - with ARA - but then Melodyne is arguably something with a much broader and larger user market than BIAB so DAW makers were willing to do the necessary plumbing to incorporate it.

But does this apply to BIAB ?

I'd suggest not - unless Yamaha/Steinberg had some kind of better financial incentive in plumbing a seamless connection between the two worlds/apps.

#546154 - 07/20/19 07:52 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Biab Plugin [Re: nonchai]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Expert

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
PG is a unique company with its own culture and issues some of which amke it better and some less so. Working with Reaper is excellent as the business model and culture in Reaper/Cockos is a big part of its appeal.
I like most aspects of PG/BIAB - limitations included plus I'm not interested in Midi.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#547460 - 07/30/19 12:29 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Biab Plugin [Re: nonchai]
Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
A lot of technical talk going on here that is way over my head. I like arranger keyboards, I have a Korg Pa3X and some of it's styles are just great, much better than anything Biab has. All an arranger keyboard is is a collection of small midi files coupled to a first class hardware midi synth plus embedded software and hardware control buttons to integrate it all.

Since Korg/Yamaha (Korg is owned by Yamaha) have been making hardware synths forever, this is no problem to do. Both are already going in the direction of using their versions of Real Tracks/Drums. Yamaha's latest arrangers use Real Drums extensively for example and others use that plus have the somewhat limited ability to use audio files (basically RT's) integrated with the styles. Everybody uses Zplane for time streching so making an audio snippet follow chords and key changes is no problem either. That's obviously the direction they're going in and in a few years I expect the top arranger keyboards from both companies to be basically Biab in a keyboard and use RT's and RD's extensively. As far as styles they already have better styles than Biab does in many cases. The Genos and the new Pa4x are simply outstanding with their styles.

Regarding styles, the other thread in the Wishlist forum brought out the fact the Biab's midi Stylemaker has several flaws which is probably why Biab's styles are not anywhere near as sophisticated as Yamaha's or Korgs. So why does Yamaha need PG again?

Where's the need to integrate with Biab as far as DAW's are concerned? Yamaha already has all this and is working on more. They should be able to integrate that tech into Cubase if they wanted to. Patents are patents. Smart developers have had no problem coming up with different ways to do the same thing that don't violate someone else's patent.

I have to say -1 on this too because this concept will soon be redundant. My worry is these companies will encroach on PG's territory so much that PG itself may be redundant as all of us old fart users leave the scene and the new bloods are well versed in the latest DAW's that already have all or most of Biab's functions. IF Yamaha decides to go that way. Maybe they won't and PG gets to carry on in their niche.

Bob

Edited by jazzmammal (07/30/19 12:44 PM)
Biab/RB latest build, Win 10 64 bit, Intel 4770, 256 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.

#547598 - 07/31/19 12:02 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Biab Plugin [Re: nonchai]
Loc: Denmark
stratos Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Denmark
Big MINUS 1 from me.
Thanks Peter for a unique program..

#547669 - 08/01/19 04:53 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Biab Plugin [Re: nonchai]
Loc: TN
Roger Brown Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: TN
Huge minus 1 for me as well.
I don't work with or have in interest in working with midi.
At the risk of a thread derail, I also am philosophically opposed to petitioning someone to sell their own company, property, or anything else.

#548608 - 08/08/19 05:27 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Biab Plugin [Re: nonchai]
Loc: Rio Grande Valley, Texas
silvertones Offline
Veteran

I usually say this once a year.I HOPE PG NEVER SELLS OUT.WE WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO AFFORD IT ON A YEARLY BASIS.
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php

#548872 - 08/10/19 02:07 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Biab Plugin [Re: nonchai]
Loc: UK
Bob Calver Offline
Journeyman

Loc: UK
As Jazzmammal says, a lot of technical talk and its above my head. I have been using BIAB since it was on floppy discs and the current program is light years better although I played live with BIAB tracks created on the original programs as all midi tracks and edited in Powertracks.

RealBand is a great add on to BIAB and I've not found anything I want to do that I couldn't do using BIAB then RB - although sometimes I've needed forum help.

I value the personal support I get from PG Music and the fact that named individuals contribute to these forums and reply to my emails.

Having been the client on a fair few music sessions for tv and radio with talented engineers I know how good the interaction with live musicians is - they can adapt what they play to your suggestions. BIAB and RB can't do that - but that's about all I've found in practice that affects my music. And regenerating tracks or editing multiriffs together usually gets me as close to the final result I want as to make no difference.

Good luck to Peter Gannon and the team - no need to change - and although some of us have wishlist ideas that date back a long time - dealing with a big soulless company is a horrendous idea.

#548924 - 08/11/19 10:52 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Biab Plugin [Re: nonchai]
Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Please, friends, no personal attack on the OP.

I respect his points, and although I disagree with his conclusion, he has every right to make proposals here.

EDIT: the comment that prompted me to write this post has been removed. Thank you.

Edited by Matt Finley (08/12/19 09:52 AM)
BIAB 2019 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Cakewalk, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#548984 - 08/11/19 10:05 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Why would Mr. Gannon sell a company that has loyal followers internationally? [Re: Matt Finley]
notebynote Offline

And, what happens when all of a sudden the newly absorbed/purchased PG Music under a new corporate flag gets cancelled with no further updates or future development for no logical reason?... Now, you have lost the DAW that probably helped you develop your interest in music and songwriting in the first place.
You can always work out the initial tune you want in BIAB and then import those files to an expensive DAW or outside studio for mixing/mastering.

***Ever try to get "Tech Support" from an individual that doesn't even own the product?????

***For an example of this nightmare, try going to Microsoft Tech Support for anything. Take a nerve pill and put the phone on speaker. By the way, you will be doing all the talking.

Let's just keep what we got and use the forums for help if the "Sales Dept." was not able to answer you question!!!

Regards to all,
notebynote

#549581 - 08/15/19 10:50 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: PETITION: Mr Gannon: Sell your company or full BIAB IP rights and tech to YAMAHA [Re: nonchai]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

I apologize to all my friends and colleagues for my angry response.I could have been more assertive and less aggressive. I especially apologize to PGM.
I still am highly against it.
I will support Peter and his Co. always. To use the comments I did was not support. Sorry. Matt I truly appreciate you making me rethink my negative attitude. I'm smarter than that.

Edited by silvertones (08/15/19 10:51 AM)
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php

#549590 - 08/15/19 11:24 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: PETITION: Mr Gannon: Sell your company or full BIAB IP rights and tech to YAMAHA [Re: nonchai]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

You’re a good soul, John. Cheers!
BIAB 2019 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Cakewalk, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

PG Music News
Just Released: Xtra Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box for Windows!

164 amazing new RealStyles await you in Xtra Styles PAK 7! We've dreamed up some great new arrangements for your songwriting, production, and teaching needs in four volumes: Jazz 7, Country 7, Rock/Pop 7, and Americana 2.

Get all 164 new RealStyles in the All Xtra Styles PAK 7 for only $29 until September 15, 2019! (Reg. $49)

Specific genre packages are also available for $15 each!

For more information and to listen to demos, click here!

Band-in-a-Box® Features List!

Every version release of Band-in-a-Box® adds loads of new features and enhancements to the program, which we're sure can sometimes get "lost" in your knowledge of the program's capabilities.

Looking to learn about new features with a specific release? It's actually really easy to locate this information!

Learn tips on the new version (2019) by visiting Help | Tip of the Day and placing a check mark next to "Only Show Tips for Version 2019" (you'll also need to select "Show Tips at Startup", if it's not already).

Access the new features list for older versions in the Help Index of the program - from the left-menu, choose Contents | Features and a list of New Features will show - all the way back to Version 7!

#FeatureFriday

#TBT Band-in-a-Box® Goes to NAMM

As we get ready to head to Summer NAMM this year, we're remembering our time their last year - we had so many visitors stop by our booth!

Click here to take a peak!

Special thanks to Mike and all the RealTracks Artists and PG Endorsers who stopped by. Stay tuned for our Booth Visitors and other happenings from Summer NAMM on July 18-20, 2019! If you find yourself at the event, come say "Hi!" to us at booth 234.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows StylePicker Feature - Finding RealTracks & MIDI SuperTracks

Did you know... Within Band-in-a-Box®, quickly find styles that use RealTracks (or MIDI SuperTracks!) in a certain range by pressing the [Other] filter button in the StylePicker window and select "Styles that contain RealTracks or MIDI SuperTracks in a number range".

#WisdomWednesday

Band-in-a-Box® Tip of the Day!

Did you know that Band-in-a-Box® will show you some helpful "Tips" when you start the program? What a great way for new program users to learn all the features of the program! Want to know Tips on just the latest version? This feature can be adjusted to just show the Tips for that too.

Maybe you're a long-time user of the program, and have this feature turned off? To access Tip of the Day (450+ available!), head to Help | Tip of the Day. Your Tip will appear right away - and you'll have the option of reading the Next Tip if you wanted too! Within this window is where you would also choose to "Show Tips at Startup" (if this is unchecked, you won't see them), or "Only Show Tips for Version 2019".

Here's a few Tips the program informed me of the last time I opened Band-in-a-Box®:

In the Piano Roll window, the 'Ghost Note' function allows you to view a single-channel, and see notes on all other channels display in light grey. This is useful when working with multi-channel tracks.

Want a bigger guitar display? Drag the bottom end of the Guitar Window to change its size, or press the SETTINGS button to set a custom size.

The Printout can use left and right MARGINS. This is useful to make printouts for small paper size or 3 hole paper that requires margins.

Edit | Nudge Chords/Melody. Let's say that you have entered a complete song chord progression, and you then realize that all of the chords starting at bar 23 are 1 beat to late. You can use this feature to slide your chords over by 1 beat.

#TipTuesday

Video - Using the Band-in-a-Box® Vocal Wizard

Check out this incredibly thorough video created by Dennis Wilkins, which explains how he uses the Band-in-a-Box® Vocal Wizard! Click here to watch..

YouTube Find - Ballad for a Travelling Lady

We did a search for Band-in-a-Box on YouTube, and look at what we found!

Video - "Ballad for a Travelling Lady" by Stefan Leipziger

What a great use of Band-in-a-Box! Check out Stefan's YouTube Channel for even more of songs he's created with the help of Band-in-a-Box.

Forum Stats
29895 Members
61 Forums
59266 Topics
500213 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
WGE, Duderanch, Rob4321, khai, ElliottF

29894 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Jim 144
Janice & Bud 135