Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Screen weirdness when computer is idle? Can anyone tell me what's going on? Can anyone tell me how to fix it?

Ok, from square one.

It's an old Win8 computer that has been upgraded to Win10 and kept up to date whenever MS asks. And no, this didn't happen after any update that I know of.

I keep my computers plugged in and they go to screen saver if left idle for 15 minutes. I use that Windows Mystify saver.

Yesterday instead of going to screen saver when left idle, the screen went dark gray semi-translucent with my open apps in miniature glowing among the gray.

It doesn't matter what apps I have open and it doesn't seem to happen if something is open full screen (although that could be coincidence).

Sometimes the windows pop up and pop down a few times as if something interrupted it, and sometimes it comes up full screen.

The first time it happened, my VPN window and two blue settings windows with the white gear showed up. I hadn't had them open.

I restored the computer from a disk image as far back as July 9, waaaay before this happened and the problem persists.

This may be related or not, I can no longer change my mouse cursor, it says it can't find the program that in needs to do that.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Notes

PS I love computers for what they do, but really really hate computers because they have a reliability problem and malfunction more than any other thing I have ever owned.

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Veteran
Veteran
First thing I would suspect is the video driver, especially since you said this is a Win8 to Win10 upgraded computer. For example, I know I can't get a proper Win10 video driver for my old HP laptop. Some of the newer drivers sort-of work, but not completely. I would check your manufacturer's web site and see if there is a better driver (perhaps you only have a generic Microsoft driver).

Just a thought.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Ok... A different thought. Windows 10 has this thing, from the desktop it can show active programs as tiles...I never personally used the feature, but pressed couple of times accidently to wake it...

Could it be that you have a keyboard or mouse fault/issue that wakes this tile feature?

Just a thought.

Veteran
Veteran
Another thought is your power supply. When they start to go all kind of wacky things can happen.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
This is similar to the Windows thing where it shows the open apps as tiles. I know that display and have no use for it either, but it doesn't gray out the rest of the screen. I've hit that key by accident once in a while.

I did some scans with the Lenovo diagnostics and Windows, and Windows found hard drive errors and is doing a repair. I don't remember where I found that test, I was poking around in the Control Panel functions.

I feel like I'm wasting an entire day here, only because I'm in the middle of another project and this has put a damper on it.

Next step is to make sure I have all the data backed up to the external. I usually do, but I need to double-check.

If I have hard drive errors, I need to get it replaced ASAP.

Fortunately it's an older computer. I use it along with Power Tracks Pro Audio or Audacity to record backing tracks for my duo and demo files for my styles. I have an mp3 copy of all my backing tracks on 3 computers and a flash drive plus the back-up drives, but I'm in the process of recording demos from a new style disk I'm finishing up. I definitely don't want to lose any of them. They can be done again but it's time consuming.

I've restarted the computer after the Window HD repair, and if it's still happening I'll know it wasn't the problem.

Nope, it hasn't fixed the problem. I may just take it to a computer shop tomorrow. frown and spend some money instead of a lot of time.

Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It's in the shop, I couldn't figure it out.

Thanks for your suggestions and help.

Bob

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
In the shop two days now and the tech can't figure it out.

If he is having problems, I never would have gotten there myself wink

Notes

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Computer is fixed. It seems that there was some mouse software that was installed with the Microsoft Mouse back when the computer had Windows 8 on it. It was meant to activate the two side buttons and a press of the scroll wheel, things I've never actually used. The software got corrupted some how and was intermittently turning on some kind of task view function.

The clue was I couldn't change the mouse cursor back to black. After extensive testing and finding nothing wrong with the computer, the tech took that cue and removed the mouse software. Now it's back to the mouse software that Lenovo put in (which is the one I always used anyway).

The problem seems fixed, as it's been working all day.

And I'm $80 less affluent frown but my computer is working smile and I can use PG Music's Power Tracks Pro again without the screen weirdness popping up in the middle of a session!!!

Notes

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
Computer is fixed. It seems that there was some mouse software that was installed with the Microsoft Mouse back when the computer had Windows 8 on it. It was meant to activate the two side buttons and a press of the scroll wheel, things I've never actually used. The software got corrupted some how and was intermittently turning on some kind of task view function.

The clue was I couldn't change the mouse cursor back to black. After extensive testing and finding nothing wrong with the computer, the tech took that cue and removed the mouse software. Now it's back to the mouse software that Lenovo put in (which is the one I always used anyway).

The problem seems fixed, as it's been working all day.

And I'm $80 less affluent frown but my computer is working smile and I can use PG Music's Power Tracks Pro again without the screen weirdness popping up in the middle of a session!!!

Notes

I'm glad that everything is back to normal. Mouse software? Who da thunk it?

Probably the best $80 you have spent on a computer.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
<...snip...>

Probably the best $80 you have spent on a computer.

Indeed, I never would have gotten that myself. It took the tech 3 days to find it too.

That software may have been installed when it was a Windows 8 computer. The tech said there is a lot of Win8 baggage that stays on the computer when it upgrades to 10 unless you do a clean install - which I did not do.

When the frustration was at its peak, there was a tiny part of me that wanted to throw the computer as hard as I could at a brick wall and watch it smash to bits, but as satisfying as that might have been, the brain knew that moment of pleasure wouldn't last nearly as long as the problems that move would have created.

The tech was good to only charge $80 for all the work he put into it. He's a good guy.

Notes

Veteran
Veteran

That software may have been installed when it was a Windows 8 computer. The tech said there is a lot of Win8 baggage that stays on the computer when it upgrades to 10 unless you do a clean install - which I did not do.
Notes

The same this happens when you upgrade from 7 to 10. I was having problems after the upgrade so I did a clean install. No now problems; I hope I didn't just jinx myself!

When the frustration was at its peak, there was a tiny part of me that wanted to throw the computer as hard as I could at a brick wall and watch it smash to bits, but as satisfying as that might have been, the brain knew that moment of pleasure wouldn't last nearly as long as the problems that move would have created.

Notes

I know that feeling well!

Veteran
Veteran
I probably would have wiped the disk and reinstalled Windows long before. My patience is a little thin. Glad you got it working without having to do that.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I would wipe and re-install Windows as a last resort. It means a few extra days installing software, setting preferences, and all that associated time eating but necessary things.

Of course, not as much work as the aftermath of throwing it against a brick wall, but not as satisfying (for an instant anyway).

All is well, it's working fine now and I'm back recording demo files for a new style disk I'm working on.

Notes

Veteran
Veteran
Mouse driver did that?

I would not have found it, either.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I guess it ran my computer tech through a maze. wink

This clue I gave him may have helped:
Quote:
This may be related or not, I can no longer change my mouse cursor, it says it can't find the program that in needs to do that.

I always figured it's better to give too much information than not enough.

I also told him about a CheckDisk incident and a MalwareBytes update that happened about the same time.

Anyway, it's good to have my recording computer back. Recording is it's primary function although I also do web page maintenance and music research on that one.

Notes

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,622
Members38,498
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234, trustedmedications
38,497 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 192