Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#459799 03/01/18 07:49 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
J
OP Offline
J
The toolbar is totally missing from BiaB. Ctrl+T moves the chord sheet to accommodate for the needed space for the toolbar but still nothing appears. I have updated to the latest patch. If I open a song, it still plays fine, but no toolbars!

[img]https://drive.google.com/open?id=18IehNpP4ufX-ZdwbHhJ3Wn8c5lNnsEVN[/img]

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello,

I don't think the image you linked to is publicly viewable.
It sounds like you are somehow missing the toolbar images. Open your Band-in-a-Box (bb) folder and look for Data\Images\MainScreenButtons. Do you have that folder?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
J
OP Offline
J
You should be able to view the image now. I will check the folder when I get back home. Thanks!

Veteran
Veteran
Well, we can see the image now, and definitely there's no toolbar.

Let us know the results of Andrew's question.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
J
OP Offline
J
I do have that folder. It contains 20 folders within it along with 2 additional bmps.

T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
T
so what is the solution? I have the same issue, and I got a preinstalled HD, so I BETTER have the folder. My first impressions with 2018 are that this seems pretty buggy.

Expert
Expert
Don't know about BIAB's demands for graphic stuff in Windows, but with other (audio) software and plugins a GUI problem often is fixed by Visual basic updates or repairs, sometimes even DOT Net, DirectX. BIAB 516 and 519 sofar proved very stable on my Win10 64bit 1803 (Fall Creators). - F

Veteran
Veteran
JohnnyBravo (great name by-the-way),

Try using the Windows control panel to change your computer's screen resolution setting. Depending on your computer graphic driver, you may have to restart the computer for the new setting to take effect.

This will cause the computer to "draw" screen images differently and it may "draw" the missing part of the image.

If this makes a difference, you likely can return to the original screen resolution and the image will be correct.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: fiddler2007
Don't know about BIAB's demands for graphic stuff in Windows, but with other (audio) software and plugins a GUI problem often is fixed by Visual basic updates or repairs, sometimes even DOT Net, DirectX. BIAB 516 and 519 sofar proved very stable on my Win10 64bit 1803 (Fall Creators). - F
Good info about sources of graphics updates. But I can answer the first sentence: BIAB has a very low graphics requirement. Of all the components in a computer such as CPU, RAM, disk or SSD storage etc., graphics are at the bottom of the list to worry about for BIAB.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
G
G
Last postings on this are from 2018. Like many other PG threads, no verified root cause or solution is presented in any of the postings. I just installed BIAB 2019 and I get the same exact problem pictured in the original poster's image. I also checked the Data\Images\Mainscreen Buttons folder and the 10 subfolders plus 2 additional graphics are present.

What is the solution for this problem, PG?

Veteran
Veteran
Looks like the OP never returned to tell us the fix. I agree, that is aggravating for a newbee. Sorry, I have never seen this problem. Likely the very same folks will chime in with the same advice... crazy

btw welcome to the forum.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
GetReal,

Welcome to the forum and to Band-in-a-Box.

Did the program not have the toolbars the first time you opened the program? If so then try "Options" > "Return To Factory Settings ..." > "Return ALL To Factory Settings".

G
G
The first reply assumes I'm a newbie to BIAB. That's baseless and 100% false. But at least the other points in that reply have some truth. Based on the other reply so far, it appears true that if post your issue in a PG forum, you are much more likely to get other posters trying to guess a solution to your problem, based on the remote chance that it might work and bring them some momentary heroic image, versus PG actually determining the root cause of the bug and actually solving it, for everyone.

Software debugging reduced to a runaway sprawl of forums which are overwhelmingly filled with guessing by individuals who have nothing to lose -- that's a great way for the same critical bug in 2018 to remain a critical bug in 2019.

In this case, I was specific about asking PG what the root cause and solution is for this problem which several of us have reported. I'd like to hear PG's analysis and root cause determination for this bug and the solution. Thanks.

To the second response - just another off the wall guess - I did one better than your proposed guess. I completely reinstalled BIAB 2019. I didn't alter factory settings in the fresh install. Doesn't solve the problem.

What's the solution, PG?

Veteran
Veteran
GetReal, welcome to the forum.

This is a user forum, so it shouldn’t be unusual that it contains replies of varying quality by users. There is nothing to be gained by criticizing those volunteers who are only trying to help. A few of us have been helping for decades. Some of us (not necessarily overlapping with length of effort) are fairly good.

Questions for PG Music Support can be directed several ways; see the Support tab above. I think the support by the company is normally excellent.

It is unfortunate that the solution was never posted, even assuming one was found, but I am pretty sure that I haven’t seen this problem mentioned outside this thread. I do recall a similar vexing problem that affected only a very small number of users, and PG Music was able to narrow it down to users of a specific chip. A patch was then issued. I wonder if something like that is at work here.

Since you’re not new to BIAB, you must be familiar with the GUI change in 2018. What happens when you switch to the older GUI by Ctrl+T ?

Give Support a shout. Hours this Monday are limited for the Canadian holiday.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
GetReal, I support Matt's comments. This is a User Forum where users share ideas and try to help each other. There is no guarantee that PG Music staff will be involved with or witness any of these discussions.

Your issue might be better resolved by contacting PG Music support directly, rather than criticizing end users for not providing an answer. I also agree that it would be beneficial if a resolution had been posted but there may be many reasons that this did not eventuate. I haven't witnessed anyone here looking for "some momentary heroic image". That's not how the users on this forum generally operate.

Please communicate with PG Music Support directly, and please do post the resolution you find here.

Even though we could not have known previously, no welcome is apparently needed for you for Band In A Box, but welcome to the user forums is in order.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
G
G
Matt Finley and VideoTrack, I read your replies. So, first, I'll respond to the only on-point question in the sum of your replies, with a similarly concise, on-point update:

MF: "What happens when you switch to the older GUI by Ctrl+T ?"
GR: The blank gray rectangle where the tool ribbon should be becomes twice as tall.

Regarding the rest of what you two wrote, I'd add (for the benefit of all users)
* Constructive criticism is good and necessary in order to have effective forum threads that quickly solve problems and leave lean, focused results that people can use. Note that you both criticize what I wrote, which is ok, but it shows that you also think criticism of forum input is good/necessary.

* If someone is asking a specific, clearly articulated question and you feel compelled to reply, at least re-read your draft reply first, asking yourself "does my reply directly address the question?" If the answer is "no", or even "maybe", don't post it. Verbiage that's superfluous or recites the obvious, like 'this is a user forum... people are going to say [whatever]... I'm another person who needs to welcome you to the forum... I agree with the opinion of the guy who just replied' or similar wastes your time, other users time, and more importantly it de-values the whole forum by encouraging a habit of clogging up the threads with low value-add content.

* It's fine to also have open-ended forum threads, but this one is about a very specific problem - a critical bug (something that makes the software severely unusable.) If you want to pursue open ended green lighting about the toolbar UI, start a separate thread on how BIAB toolbars should be designed and what acceptance criteria must be met before new/fixed UI is released. By simply not posting off-topic verbiage, you are helping the forum thread resolve the problem or helping to keep it clear that the user forum is unable to solve it.

Veteran
Veteran
We suggested you contact PG Music Support. What was the result?

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: GetReal
Last postings on this are from 2018. Like many other PG threads, no verified root cause or solution is presented in any of the postings. I just installed BIAB 2019 and I get the same exact problem pictured in the original poster's image. I also checked the Data\Images\Mainscreen Buttons folder and the 10 subfolders plus 2 additional graphics are present.

What is the solution for this problem, PG?

GetReal,

Have you tried directly contacting PG Music technical support? +++ PG Music Contact +++ . There is also an online technical support request form +++ for Windows +++ and +++ for Mac +++

Good luck on your search for an answer. I hope you will take time to share the answer with us.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
1. Does your MainScreenButtons folder look something like this:

2. Check if you are using a custom skin:

Opt. | Preferences | Display --> Custom Skins --> choose default.

3. If your Mainscreenbuttons folder appears to be incomplete, replace it with a factory folder. I will send it to you in a PM. Close Band-in-a-Box, replace the files, then re-open.

Keep a backup of the "bad" folder so that we could compare them later.

If the folder appears to be complete with all files present, perhaps system security software is playing a role, blocking access to some files.

4. Try returning factory settings. To do this, close Band-in-a-Box, find the Preferences folder and make a copy of it to have as a backup. Next, delete all the files inside the Preferences folder, and re-launch the program.

Let us know what you find.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: GetReal
...Like many other PG threads, no verified root cause or solution is presented in any of the postings. ...

We do expect you to post the verified root cause and the solution, once you find it. Please advise.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,499
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195