Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh
G
Gazman Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
Hello all,
I'm new to the forum and hope someone can assist with a style issue.

I am using BIAB 2018 for MACOS (Mohave) (Build 267) on a 2017 27"iMac.
I have been using BIAb for 3 years and all my song files and system styles function normally .. EXCEPT the "_Badwolf.STY"

Each time I load the _Badwolf.sty and press "play" it causes BIAB to freeze immediately and I have to re-start BIAB and start again.
No other files\style behave this way.

I sent a copy of an SGU song file I wrote using the _badwolf.STY to the support team in case there was something wrong with the song composition or it's content. The Support team emailed back 3 weeks ago saying they couldn't replicate the issue with the SGU song file.

I suspect the style (file) itself is corrupt and should be replaced. I have emailed support again a couple of times in the past 2 weeks with no response to my query.

If it is just the BIAB .STY file of the _badwolf.STY ... Can someone advise how I can fix this? Thanks in advance.

Gazman.

Veteran
Veteran
I have BIAB for Windows but I anticipate that BIAB (Mac) would be similar.

Have you tried the following...

Under "File" select "New" to create a new, blank chord sheet. This will create a chordsheet that loads with BIAB defaults.

Now try loading the _Badwolf.sty into this songsheet. Does it still play up?

Also, under the "Options" menu, there is a choice that allows BIAB to be returned to factory settings. This would be worth trying, too.

Before using that, though, save your current settings. This is also under "Options".

Lastly, if you upload your songfile into Dropbox, or something equivalent, and then post the URL link for that file here in the thread, I'm happy to try the file and see what happens. I can also see if it might be corrupt. (BIAB songfiles are interchangeable between Mac and Windows.)

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
G
Gazman Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
Hey Noel, thanks for your reply.
I have already created a "new" chord sheet and had the same result (freezes when the style is loaded and hitting "play").

I've also "returned to factory settings with same result.

The original SGU songfile was sent to the support team 3 weeks ago and they said they couldn't replicate the issue (which is why I thought maybe the style itself was corrupt).
I have since emailed them again without any replies.

This is driving me crazy and I really need this style to work.

Veteran
Veteran
The style works for me.

I notice that it is from XTRA Pak 2. Try re-installing that. If you don't have that package, if you log in into the PG Music Sales site (on the main PG Music webpage) and then go to My Products, your purchases should be listed there.

Also, the style is recommended to work best at a tempo of 100. Before loading, make sure that BIAB is set to a tempo of 100. It might be that when you load it, if the tempo is too far removed from 100, BIAB is trying to substitute Realtracks that better suit the tempo.

What version of BIAB did buy? That is was it the MegPak, ProPak, UltraPak?

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
G
Gazman Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
I upgraded to from 2017 to 2018 and bought the ultrapak a while ago. I'll look to see if I have (or can download) the XTRA PAK2 as you suggested. Thanks

G
Gazman Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
Oh no good .. I downloaded and re-installed extra pak 2 and the style still hangs on "play"

Veteran
Veteran
This is a very strange problem.

The files below both use _BADWOLF.STY -- the top one is a simple 8-bar SGU file using only simple chords, the middle one is the same simple file but with frozen tracks, and the lower file is the demo that comes with _BADWOLF. Download them and see if any one plays for you.

(1) SIMPLE song using _BADWOLF.STY
https://www.dropbox.com/s/futle9adwaxcyja/Gazman_BADWOLF%20Demo.SGU?dl=1

(2) Same file as (1) above but with Frozen tracks.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kqpkpd7hw2fokvb/Gazman_BADWOLF%208-bar%20simple%20file%20-%20frozen.SGU?dl=1

(3) BADWOLF Demo SGU
https://www.dropbox.com/s/futle9adwaxcyja/Gazman_BADWOLF%20Demo.SGU?dl=1

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
G
Gazman Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
Hi Noel, thanks again for your help.

All 3 samples load each chart into BIAB, however on pressing play .. each one caused BIAB to freeze with the spinning beach-ball. All I can do each time is "force-quit" and start again. I am really frustrated with this! I am unsure why the BIAB support team hasn't been more helpful.

Veteran
Veteran
Firstly, I have reported this problem and referred the developers to this thread in the Windows Updates beta testing forum.

In the meantime, go to the link below and download update #263 or #266. I am not sure if Mac BIAB behaves the same as Windows BIAB but installing an earlier update in Windows takes BIAB back to that update.

I've done this a couple of times over the years when an update has not been friendly with my computer or BIAB and it has solved my existing problems (at that time).

I'm not sure if you want to try it or not. I'll leave it to you.

https://www.pgmusic.com/support_macintoshupdates.htm

Hopefully someone from BIAB will see my post regarding this thread soon.

What I encourage you to do is to write to support@pgmusic.com once more and refer them to this thread so that they can see all that has been tried. It will also help them isolate the problem.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Expert
Expert
I just tried opening a few songs I've been working on, and applied the _Badwolf style to them and they seem to work fine here.
Wow... that's really strange since I'm running the latest version of Mojave and the same version of BIAB as you, and it seems to work here.

Hopefully someone from PG can look at the file you sent them, and come up with something more concrete, but that style seems to be working fine here for me.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, hopefully the PG folks can come up with an answer for you.

- Jay

MacPro 5,1/12 core@3.46GHz -- OS X 10.14.6 -- ATI 7970 -- 32 Gig RAM -- Crucial 500GB OS SSD -- Samsung EVO 1TB Audio/Sample SSD -- BIAB 2023 -- Logic Pro X -- Cubase Elements 11 -- Too many plugins
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Did you try and remove each RealTrack/Drum one at a time from the song then generate to see if any of them are causing the issue.

Veteran
Veteran
Gazman,

In an earlier post Noel96 suggested downloading XtraStylesPAK # 2 from your PG Music account and reinstalling the PAK. Like Noel I'm thinking the installer or one of the files that make up the _BandWolf style might be corrupt.

If this assumption is true the question becomes how do you replace the corrupt file with a good one. It may not be enough to run the XtraStylesPAK # 2 installer again.

I'm thinking you may need to remove the installer and _BadWolf style files from your computer then perform a fresh download and install.

Try deleting the installer and the files associated with the _Badwolf style. Reboot your computer to flush the computer memory cache. Download the installer for XtraStylesPAK # 2. Run the installer.

I don't know what files Mac uses since I use Windows but if you perform a storage drive search using the search term "_BandWolf" you should find them.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:
I'm thinking you may need to remove the installer and _BadWolf style files from your computer then perform a fresh download and install.

This would not be necessary, it should be enough to just to reinstall. However just to be sure you *could* remove just the _BADWOLF.STY and _BADWOLF.STX from the Styles folder before the reinstall of the Xtra Styles PAK as suggested.

Quote:
Did you try and remove each RealTrack/Drum one at a time from the song then generate to see if any of them are causing the issue.

I agree, it might be a specific RT or RD track that has some issue, maybe an audio file is bad.. I don't know. Open the _BADWOLF style and jot down the RT #s that are part of the style. Then, open a new style like ZZJAZZ.STY and try adding each of the RT #s in turn, pressing Generate after each one you add. It looks like badwolf.STY uses:

RT2613
RT2623
RT1073
JazzShuffle^2
And a loop.... Loop: Dubstep straight_gee.....

Let us know what you find.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
G
Gazman Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
Thanks Jayo .. I'm going through the additional posts in the thread now to see what else has come up

G
Gazman Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
Hi Andrew.,
I had removed the _badwolf.STY & .STX files from the BIAB Styles Folder yesterday and then followed up by downloading the ExtraPak 2 installer from my PG account files.

I re-installed Xtrapak2 and re-booted the computer with the same end result (_badwolf.STY freezing on pressing play).
All other files and styles still work fine EXCEPT _badwolf.

I'm thinking maybe un-install and full new re-install of BIAB with all extras and PAKs may be the only other option.??
Do you have a recommended step-by-step method of doing that?

Thanks,
Gary.

Expert
Expert
Just curious, if you hilight the 2 files _BADWOLF.STY and _BADWOLF.stx, and do Command+I to get info on them, does your account have "read & write" permission for those 2 files ?

Just a shot in the dark, but I have seen a couple of problems with permission settings on some installer packages.

- Jay

MacPro 5,1/12 core@3.46GHz -- OS X 10.14.6 -- ATI 7970 -- 32 Gig RAM -- Crucial 500GB OS SSD -- Samsung EVO 1TB Audio/Sample SSD -- BIAB 2023 -- Logic Pro X -- Cubase Elements 11 -- Too many plugins
G
Gazman Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
Hi Jay.,
yes the access is indicated as read\write.
Also, I had been using the style without issue previously, it was just the one time when it "froze" on pressing play and it's been the same ever since.

Expert
Expert
Strange, do you have a time machine (or any other) backup ?
If so, maybe try restoring the main BIAB app and the preferences folder from a backup before these freezes started.

- Jay

G
Gazman Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
Thanks Jay, I'll look into that .. I do have a time m\c backup but the external disk was full and I stopped the back up pending a replacement external disk .. will have to check to see if the time m\c went back to a suitable date. (BTW I hate time m\c) :-)

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Did you try disable each track

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BadWolf-Disable-Track.png (117.08 KB, 67 downloads)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,455
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195