Outro vamp:
Let the old ways

The Band:

RealDrums: PopModernGrooveSync16^1-a:Snare on 4, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride
1827:Bass, Electric, PopModernGrooveA-B Ev16 075
1839:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopModernGrooveA-B Ev16 075
1831:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopModernGrooveBrightA-B Ev16 075
878:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm NorthernRockGrittyA-B Sw16 075
1525:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopPowerPushDirty Ev 120 (see notes)

I'm playing the guitar lead and Chris is playing all of the piano parts except during the guitar solo. I changed my mind about what chords I wanted to play the solo over after Chris had already sent me her piano track, so instead of making her redo that part I just used a realtrack piano.

Production Notes:
For realtrack 1525, which mostly plays during the outro, I selected the held chords option and also the DI option, and then processed through the Waves PRS amp sim plugin.

Mixed in reaper using native plugins (side chain compressor) and plugins from Waves and iZotope, mastered with Ozone8 and LMC.

I found this one difficult to mix, mostly because of conflicts between the piano and the rhythm guitars clogging up the midrange, plus the distorted guitars were adding lots of harsh high end frequencies. I couldn't hear it but Chris could, she has much better range in her hearing than I do.

So any comments about the mix, or any other aspects of the song are appreciated!

Also up on soundcloud: Better Days

Last edited by BlueAttitude; 07/31/19 12:09 AM. Reason: added soundcloud link
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hey there Dave, thank you for sharing this! The arrangement is wonderful to the ears and the vibe is very appealing. Quite enjoyed those guitar licks too. Thanks for sharing

Cheers,
Joe
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey Joe,

Hmmm, you left a comment on Jannesan’s song, on Chris37’s song and my song all at 11:36.

Did you actually listen to any of them??

User Showcase
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
"There’s no way -to teach hard luck bones to fly"...
What a line...
Every once in a while I will spot one of these...
And think let's file that away for a future song...
Thanks...
As always I really enjoyed to your & Chris' collaboration...
Both of you compliment each so very well...
But I can't help but wonder what your song would sound like with Chris' piano part.

Quote:
Hey Joe,
Hmmm, you left a comment on Jannesan’s song, on Chris37’s song and my song all at 11:36.

I've notice the same thing but have never mentioned it...
He also commented on tschiewe song 1 minute earlier...
Perhaps he listened to all of them & then made comments...
You think smile

Last edited by Jim; 07/30/19 06:35 AM. Reason: dyslexia

Jim
†=☮&♥
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Dave & Chris...

Man! Y'all do this stuff (Bluesy Rock?) SO well!

A solid, interesting write. An excellent vocal. The chorus vocals are especially nice...

The mix sounds really good to me. Balanced, full, quite "easy on the ears", in fact.

Dave, your guitar is SINGING! on this!! Loved it!

Another solid performance from you both. Awesome.

fj

(The way the forum is going these days, we should be thankful to be getting any comments at all. An awful lot of people only concerned with their own stuff...funny how they think we should be listening to their stuff, though...)

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A slight nudge from blues rock to rock blues -- a bit anthemic in nature we think.

And extremely well done.

Chris really has the power vocal thing going AND with great dynamics. A somewhat rare combo nowadays.

And as always you are so good at complementing the vocal with your playing. The fills and solos and the vocals are interlaced so nicely.

Your work with the difficulties of the mix you described paid off big time -- the band lays out an excellent soundstage on our monitors.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Dave / Chris
First the mix sounds very good to me.

Loved the vocal Chris sounds great nice complimentary piano - and man the guitar is superb, great tone and some wonderful note choices.

A really top notch and interesting blues rock write with an great solo(always love that)and a wonderful ending.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Dave & Chris,
I am a big fan of your music and this was a pleasant surprise. I feel this is excellent addition to your portfolio. I like the dramatic piano on the start. Chris vocals shine. Dave, excellent playing! Mix is A+
But most importantly, I see shifts and experiments in your music and my belief, it is #1 rule musicians should stick to, is to find new ways & different approaches. That what makes it fun or interesting to listen. Keep up great work!

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I really enjoyed your lyrics - I think it's a feeling mos can relate to. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Ember
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Dave. This is really well done.
Congrats to all involved. Rob4580

Rob4580 #547507 07/30/19 05:56 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Really enjoyed it, a big tune with great lyrics which you don't often see in blues based stuff. Liked the guitar at the end esp. but throughout as well.

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
COOOOL. This has a bit of Maggie Bell in it - she did a great line in blues informed rock (Suicide Sal - great album).
the backing vocals are a real treat.
Loved it all.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Jim #547537 07/31/19 12:14 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim
"There’s no way -to teach hard luck bones to fly"...
What a line...
Every once in a while I will spot one of these...
And think let's file that away for a future song...
Thanks...
As always I really enjoyed to your & Chris' collaboration...
Both of you compliment each so very well...
But I can't help but wonder what your song would sound like with Chris' piano part.

Thanks very much, Jim! Well, most of the piano is Chris. It's only during the guitar solo that I used the realtrack piano.

Originally Posted By: Jim

Quote:
Hey Joe,

I've notice the same thing but have never mentioned it...
He also commented on tschiewe song 1 minute earlier...
Perhaps he listened to all of them & then made comments...
You think smile

Well, if I was a betting man .... wink

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Dave & Chris,
You deliver again... with a non-preachy poetic relevance to the lyrics that adds to my enjoyment of another fine blues rock opus ( can`t think of a better word for how your guitar soars).
At first I thought the vocals sounded a bit far back, but ... this needs to be played loud, then it gels.
Love the chorus harmonies especially at the close behind your lead.
Fine work!

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This should be back at the top.
whistle
Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I've been gently corrected by floyd jane enough times not to comment on the mix. whistle

I will say that everything "works" for me - nothing sticks out, too hot, or out of place. I didn't notice the replacement of the piano tracks.

I enjoyed the listen - a moody track, the lyrics a good contrast with the upbeat title. smile

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Powerful piece. The guitar intro works great leading into that classy vocal. Nice build throughout until the end, where it turns reflective. Wonderful leads that really "lead". Has that classic feel. Very much enjoyed.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
floyd jane #547667 08/01/19 01:36 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Dave & Chris...

Man! Y'all do this stuff (Bluesy Rock?) SO well!

A solid, interesting write. An excellent vocal. The chorus vocals are especially nice...

The mix sounds really good to me. Balanced, full, quite "easy on the ears", in fact.

Dave, your guitar is SINGING! on this!! Loved it!

Another solid performance from you both. Awesome.

fj

Floyd,

Yes, I would call this blues/rock music.

Thanks for the positive comments , means a lot to get that kind of feedback! smile

Originally Posted By: floyd jane

(The way the forum is going these days, we should be thankful to be getting any comments at all. An awful lot of people only concerned with their own stuff...funny how they think we should be listening to their stuff, though...)

Yes, I've noticed that too. Lots of people posting songs but never giving feedback on other peoples music, which is what this forum used to be great for.
My policy is simple, support me and I'll return the favor wink

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Blue Attitude, hi Chris,

this is a really good one, and really well-performed. The melody with its large interval is anything but easy to be sung,(esp. the last two lines in front of the chorus), but , Chris, you did an awesome vocal job! And

The chorus is very, very nice - the harmony singing us excellent.

Ah yes: good lyrics, too.

Daave: I really liked your guitar parts, very nicely written (or improvised) and played - love the tone of the guitar. To me, a guitar doesn't have to sound in a way everybody says, 'Ah, never heard something like that before', to me it must fit the song. And this tone fits the song perfectly, it's authentic.

The production sounds very appealing to my old ears - so to sum it up: Great song, enjoyed the listen very much.

Cheers,

Stefan

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Simply amazing. This song and especially with Chris's voice reminds me of a band Skunk Anansie. Her singing has so much dynamics, maybe her best interpretation so far I have heard. Admirable and enviable collaboration - that voice and that singing blues solo guitar playing and talking together. Interesting chording with some nice surprises. Better days are already here.

Janne

Last edited by jannesan; 08/01/19 06:00 AM.

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,569
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200