Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Songwriting
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
The article title is misleading. The exercises are valuable. The tips do not help you complete a song per day but they may unlock some barriers that you might not even know you have as a songwriter.

https://online.berklee.edu/takenote/20-tips-to-write-20-songs-in-20-days-part-one/

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I’d be perfectly happy to write a decent song every 20 days. smile

Bud

Songwriting
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

Bud

Same here. I want songwriting to be fun, not work!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Songwriting
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Did either of you read the article? It’s not about work, it’s about practice.

Would you object to anyone suggesting you should practice guitar every day if you want to be a good guitar player?

That’s all that these type of articles are suggesting.

The most well known creatives create every day. Every art form.

Last edited by rockstar_not; 07/31/19 05:04 AM.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not

Would you object to anyone suggesting you should practice guitar every day if you want to be a good guitar player?

Relax, I was trying to be funny. Perhaps a bad attempt. And I did read it.

Bud

Songwriting
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
I’ll give an example from Robert Frost, from a part of his work which has recently become public domain
————
The Dust of Snow

The way a crow shook down on me
The dust of snow from a hemlock tree

Has given my heart a change of mood
And saved some part of a day I rued
- Robert Frost
—————-

I’m guessing Mr Frost wrote that after a walk. He didn’t take two weeks. I bet he spent 10 minutes on it max. And yet we all just read it. Published.

Songwriting
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Bud, there are a few of us here that participate in February Album Writing Month, where the goal is to write 14 songs in the month of February each year. When we put the invitation here, invariably we get flack about how that’s not really possible, turns songwriting into work, etc.

Those of us that participate know that the practice of being prolific is as much necessary to becoming a songwriter as intense handwringing about each and every syllable.

The thread was already taking the turn of disregard instead of taking the tips to heart as a practicing songwriter.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
We are avid mountain bikers. Often on a demanding “high heart rate” tough trail we become so focused that, counterintuitively, we feel more free. A zone a lot of endurance athletes describe. And for me some of my better hooks and lines have “appeared” during that state. Never anything resembling a complete song but enough to get started with.

A second scenario for us is when exposed (hiking, biking or even driving) through scenery that takes one’s breath away. That has also inspired some songs.

And, of course we are familiar with FAWN, etc. A tip of the pint glass to all who participate. And, of course we realize that practice helps but it does not always make perfect. I will never be able to race (which we do) my bike as fast as some folks who have "givens." smile Like giant lungs, etc. And I'll never be able to write like some of the folks on the user forum who have an ability to see themes in many different and unique ways...like a writer of great prose. And create vivid imagery for same. I will note that I do not wring my hands over only writing a song every month or so. I not not spend an inordinate amount of time trying to get the "right" word. But I do spend a lot of days between writing sessions during that month. If I sit down to work on a song and nothing happens I have many, many other things to do -- even in my many years of retirement. But eventually I get a song finished.

Perhaps being veery prolific helps but IMHO a great idea, hook, etc., is golden. And as one of the best writers on the forum once told me "you got to have something to say!"

And FWIW I and others, particularly many on a board like PG Music, tend toward seeing the completion of a song only after it has been arranged, backing tracks selected, mixed and often mastered. A time consuming but enjoyable process got us.

Every man must make his own path...or something like that. smile

In no way do I want to denigrate the notion that learning is important -- especially about song structure. I have learned a LOT, even at my 73 years, from several members here who have been very patient with me as I struggled to write. Without them and BiaB I would never have begun to try this song writing thing.

Bud

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

Bud

Me too

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not

Yes and here are my thoughts"

Day 1, 4, 6, - do this all the time in BiaB
Day 2, 5, 17 - do this all the time with BiaB tracks in my DAW
Day 3 - try to do this with instrumentals and when collaborating with BobH when writing lyrics.
Day 7, 10, 11 - try to do this with instrumentals
Day 8 - not a lyricists
Day 9, 12, 15 - do this
Day 14 - always do this
Day 16 - I do this with instrumentals
Day - 18 - do this with BobH and JonD and others
Day 19 - I try to write instrumentals in all moods
Day 20 - I have my workflow but many times I deviate from it. It is not engraved in stone.

We have the advantage of having BiaB at our disposal 24/7/365. I'll bet that most of us already use many of those techniques.

After spending many years playing in wedding bands and playing what other people wanted I now play what I want and when I want.

I stand by my statement. Working in MIDI takes time and really can't be rushed if I want good results. Sometimes a song will only take a day or two but other times it may take weeks. But I enjoy this more than working with RTs or any other audio track(s).

Finally I know it takes practice to learn songwriting and/or playing any instrument. My songs are a lot better now then they were 20 years ago. My wind controller is better than a couple of years ago but my guitar playing has diminished as I don't practice like I should. But at my age I don't care.

YMMV

Peace

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Scott,

Thanks for posting this article.

I'm a huge fan of Andrea Stolpe. Her book "Popular Lyric Writing" is one that I have re-read at least 20 times. It's short, to the point and teaches a very productive lyric writing technique.

For anyone who reads this and would like a bit of background information....

Andrea is a past student of Pat Pattison and she invented a lyric-writing strategy based on Pattision's object writing. She uses 'external' phrases and rhymes balanced with 'internal' phrases and rhymes to construct verses, chorus and bridge. These phrases and rhymes are gathered during the course of what Andrea calls "Destination Writing".

Following her approach, I have regularly surprised myself by starting with no idea at all and getting a first draft of lyrics within 1 - 2 hours -- often quicker.

She's a terrific educator.

Thanks again,
Noel

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Stolpe Popular Lyric Writing.png (86.85 KB, 173 downloads)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Songwriting
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
*negative post spoiler alert*

I'm not a fan of Pat Pattison. While I will certainly concede that some of his techniques are helpful, here's where it breaks down for me....he's not a songwriter, he's an academic/educator. He hasn't been a successful, published songwriter, which in of itself isn't so bad, but IMO he believes that songwriting is a skill that can be taught. Much like, if you want to be an architect? Go to college, work hard to learn all you can and get your degree, and off you go, you're an architect. You could insert doctor, lawyer, engineer, etc.

Songwriting is not a skill, it's a talent. It is certainly a talent than can be improved upon - after 3 1/2 decades of writing for a living, I still try to write better songs, and I believe I improve constantly. But a certain amount of talent is a prerequisite to being any good at it.

I was brought on by a nearby community college to "teach" commercial songwriting, now entering my 2nd year. I can't teach anybody to write a song, and nobody else can. That's pretty much like trying to teach a fish to swim. You either can or you can't. Little bits of craft, shortcuts, workarounds, etc. - that I can share, but I simply reject the notion that just anyone can write songs. It's a running disagreement I have with faculty administration, because (as educators) they simply don't believe my belief to be accurate (although they've yet to provide any evidence to the contrary).

I very well may judge Pattison too harshly, but in my defense, I've just encountered far too many aspiring writers in my career who hang on Pattison's every word as if it were gospel truth or indisputable fact. I believe I mentioned on another thread, I never read a single book about songwriting until 13 years after I had my first song recorded, and then it was only out of curiosity because Jimmy Webb wrote it, and I'm a big fan of his work.

Bottom line is, I guess, if you find something in his (or anyone else's) books that helps you write better, then that's great. I just think he's incredibly overrated.

Yes, I'm a big ol' wet blanket.

Songwriting
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
I give up.

Go ahead and keep this forum full of ‘what style should I use to sound like Luke Brown or Chris Brian or whoever is currently writing about drinking beer in the woods around a bonfire with the girls in the cutoff shorts and getting familiar in the bed of a pickup truck.

Sheesh

Songwriting
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
If you've been making a living for 35 years, there's likely nothing Pat Patterson can teach you anyway. Not being argumentative because I agree with all you wrote in your comment above in principle but not in practicality. With more than three decades of writing, I can guarantee you've written better songs than have been published on 100% of record albums/CD's commercially released. You've written great songs that no one other than maybe a family member or close friend has ever heard. I'll counter your notion that just anyone can't write a song with I believe everyone has written at least one song in their lifetime! Music is as innate to humanity as tracking/sniffing is to a dog. It's built into our psyche. Music affects our moods, helps us maintain focus and is universally enjoyable. Everyone sings in the shower or when they're alone and all of them, each and every one, has made up a song spontaneously. They've written a song and they sing it out. Your remarks seem to confuse commercial songwriting with songwriting. They're not the same and you are absolutely correct than not everyone can turn out a hit. Most commercial artists have never recorded a number one song much less written one. It's a rarity and largely controlled by the music industry itself. Millions of artists have written songs of a quality to be number one but the song never even entered the contest. There are people who would be judged to have no musical ability or talent and have written a single song, and it was a hit. Thousands of examples in which an artist writes, records and releases a song and it is a commercial failure only for the song to be selected by another artist, redone (sometimes nearly indistinguishable from the original) and it becomes a huge hit.

Songwriting is a teachable skill. It's no different than being an architect, doctor, lawyer, engineer, etc. Most of these people are in careers that their success is measured the same as most songwriters - They work and produce their product daily without world wide fame and monetary success. For instance, lawyers by the tens of thousands work their trade for 35 years and they never have a single case garner national attention that brings them fame. It's just the same for the songwriter that's never had a hit. Most of the world's work product is mundane.

Pat Patterson is no different than any high school teacher or college professor teaching tens of thousands of students daily for years day in day out and never produce a #1 best selling author.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Songwriting
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
The great thing about opinions is that everyone is allowed (or should be allowed) to have one, or many. I respect yours, and you expressed your position in a very fair and reasonable way. I just happen to completely disagree with you, and to that end, we'll simply have to agree to disagree. By the way, I believe I did say something to the effect of "if you get something out of his books, that's great". I do think he makes some decent points - as I said, I more take exception to the notion that he's some sort of song whisperer. I absolutely wouldn't suggest anyone here has said or implied that, but it is absolutely something I've encountered a great many times over the years.

Let me circle back to the point I thought I was making, and probably didn't do well. I've been extremely fortunate that I've had a great many songs recorded over the years. The first was in 1985 by Tanya Tucker, I was barely 23 years old. At that time, I had never read a book, taken a class, or been given any instruction whatsoever on how to write a song. In those days in Nashville, you had to pretty much sink or swim on your own creatively....the only instruction anyone was willing to give was business-related. There was no such thing as a song critique...it was either "yeah, we might be able to do something with that", or "meh, that's a piece of crap, what else do you have".

Nobody taught me how to write songs, I just figured it out on my own. My first publisher was a songwriter who had a 6th grade education and was dyslexic, and yet he had hundreds of songs of his recorded, and well over a dozen big hits. His comment "I ain't got no craft, I'm gifted" kind of sounded egotistical to me at the time he said it, but over the years I've come to understand where he was coming from. He couldn't tell you how he wrote songs. He couldn't tell you where the ideas or melodies came from. He just sat down and did it.

That is simply not a "taught skill". It's a God-given talent. No different than a kid that picks up a baseball and throws it 100mph.

Now, where you are spot-on correct is when you pointed out astutely that I was speaking about commercial songwriting. I view writing through that lens, because it's my vocation, and perhaps it's an unfair perspective to apply as broadly as I do. I do a lot of workshops and seminars for NSAI (I was a mentor for the Advanced Song Camp just last week), and part of what I do on occasion is to listen to aspiring writers songs and try to help them "fix" them or make them better. I can listen to a song and make suggestions and/or changes - but I can't explain the WHY, it's just instinct. As I said, I was never taught how - I just did it, and wound up making a career out of it.

Lastly, I'll say this. I would agree that a lot of people could write something resembling a song, or a fragment of one at least. But my father, as an example, was completely and utterly tone-deaf. He couldn't tell Mozart from two trash cans lids banging together. He couldn't have written a song if you had given him books and sat him in classes for a hundred years. He did graduate college in 3 years and went to both law school and medical school, so he was a very educated man. But he wasn't capable of grasping music, at all. So no - I don't believe it's a learned skill. I believe it's a talent. Again, I hope we can respectfully agree to disagree - I enjoy reading your posts!

Songwriting
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
No problem. I think we're closer to being on the same page than either of us articulate. I find it incredibly easy to write songs but practically impossible to sell them. I understand your point about your Dad, but I'll bet at some time throughout his life, when no one was looking and no one could hear, he made up a song and was singing in the shower. Obviously, you're correct regarding talent. There's some that can produce hit after hit and they are actually great songs. Every industry has it's top performers and there seems to be people who are born to be great at something. They can make the difficult look so easy.

There's also some luck involved I think. Good discussion and I've enjoyed reading your posts too and look forward to hearing a lot from you.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
For anyone who is interested, here's a link to Pat Pattison's course on Coursera.

https://www.coursera.org/learn/songwriting-lyrics?action=enroll

So far nearly 55,000 people have already enrolled.

It's up and running from August 1.

==========

According to Pat's webpage,

https://www.patpattison.com/online-courses

1.5 million people have already taken his course to date.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Roger,

I write regarding your comment below. I am a teacher.

Originally Posted By: Roger Brown
Songwriting is not a skill, it's a talent. It is certainly a talent than can be improved upon - after 3 1/2 decades of writing for a living, I still try to write better songs, and I believe I improve constantly. But a certain amount of talent is a prerequisite to being any good at it.

Good songwriting is certainly a talent. There’s no doubt about that at all. That said, anything that is a talent can also be taught... maybe not with the natural flair for inventiveness and creativity that 'talent' brings to the table, but through analyses it's possible to deduce patterns and regularities that an educator can use as a starting place for teaching and this educator can then expand on these foundations.

• For some students, this process of 'learning the mechanics' often opens a doorway of what's possible and this, in turn, allows previously unrealised or unrecognised natural talent to develop and grow.

Over the years, I have had a number of students go on to achieve outstanding accomplishments although I have never once achieved anything equivalent at any stage of my life.

I’ve been to many Prof. Patterson seminars, I was up to 20 when I stopped counting, and he is definitely a talented educator just like you are a talented songwriter (your credentials are very impressive). My experience is that a talented educator has the ability to not only teach knowledge but also to inspire creativity and to unleash a desire to achieve at the highest possible levels. All too often, our western school system fails at the latter and stops at the 'disseminating knowledge' stage of education. Pattison is not such a teacher. My personal experience is that the large majority of people leave Pattison's seminars inspired to write and eagre to learn more. I've seen many people, like myself, who keep on returning to his seminars. Pattison challenges, motivates and emboldens people to try. Isn't that what good teaching is all about?

• I'll never forget the feeling of satisfaction and gratitude that I felt when I left my very first Patterson seminar. He gave me some tools to work with and a lens through which to view songwriting that made the impossible a possibility for me. Since that day, I have never stopped feeling thankful to him.

In addition, I believe that it is through accomplished teaching that skills are enhanced and exceptional talent is given the very best set of circumstances in which it can thrive and can accomplish great things. Time and time again history has shown that this is true.

You seem to agree with this when you say,

Originally Posted By: Roger Brown
It is certainly a talent than can be improved upon - after 3 1/2 decades of writing for a living, I still try to write better songs, and I believe I improve constantly.

It is when one discovers a talented teacher who has the ability to know what needs to be done to accomplish the "better" that you mention, that the process of growing more accomplished is streamlined and hastened.

One example that springs to mind is Mozart. He was an amazing talent. As I understand it, he had perfect pitch and he could 'hear' an orchestra and its arrangement effortlessly in his mind. When polishing his musical creations, though, it was through the skills he learnt regarding harmony, counterpoint and general music craftsmanship that allowed his music to become timeless. Mozart's talent was enhanced by a number of educators.

Just my tuppence worth.

Regards,
Noel Adams

P.S. I am not a talented songwriter but through seminars with Pat Pattison, Steve Seskin and Beth Nielsen Chapman, in addition to reading a number of books, I have learnt how to write songs that allow me to feel a sense of accomplishment and self-satisfaction. That's enough for me.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Songwriting
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
Thanks for replying, Noel....
I certainly never intended to come across as if I devalue or disrespect educators or education. That was NEVER my intention, as I hold those who teach in the highest regard (as I said, I 'teach' a songwriting class at a community college myself).
My point is, again and this is my opinion, that I don't believe songwriting at it's core is something that can be taught regardless of how good those doing the teaching are at their job.
Now anything can be learned through study and teaching, that's a separate conversation and most likely where the disconnect is in this particular discussion. Learning how to do something and being really good at it are two different things, as you would know very well. I studied math in school growing up, and though I managed to learn it well enough to pass my classes, I was never any good at it. And so I guess in my mind I'm applying that criteria (being really good at something) to my definition of having learned how to do it - probably unfair, but there it is.
I know Steve and Beth, they are both brilliant songwriters and I would encourage anyone to attend their classes/seminars/workshops. My thoughts are truly specific to Pattison, and with apologies I'm simply going to have to stand by my opinion that he is overrated....more specifically, by many people I have met, his opinions and teachings on songwriting are overVALUED to the point of them being treated like they are the Ten Commandments. Does he have good points, good exercises, good thoughts? Absolutely. There is most likely something in there that could be applied by everyone who writes or attempts to write songs.
However - I, unfortunately, have sat down with dozens and dozens of aspiring writers (please note the word 'aspiring', as in hoping to write professionally) who have played me songs that were simply not competitive in the commercial marketplace, and then being flabbergasted when I told them so, because "I wrote these exactly the way Pat Pattison said to".

So maybe I take less exception with what or how Pat Pattison teaches, and more with the way his methods wind up being applied by many. I hope this clarifies, and my heartfelt apologies if I in any way came across as being disrespectful or unappreciative of educators such as yourself.
Regards,
RB

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Hi again, Roger.

I didn't take any offence to your writing at all. You made me think and I always appreciate that.

When I read your statement, "So maybe I take less exception with what or how Pat Pattison teaches, and more with the way his methods wind up being applied by many", I smiled because I remembered when I started trying to apply Pat's approaches. The saying 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing' just sprang to mind! That definitely applied to me. I'll explain.

After Pat's first seminar, I was armed with...

• knowledge of aligning syllable strength with appropriate musical rhythmic strength
  • how to control lyric movement through rhyme and meter
  • how to use sense-based language to engage the listener with 'showing' rather than telling
  • how to augment emotion through use of balanced and unbalanced phrases (musically and lyrically)

What I didn't appreciate though, was that these tools in the hands of a well-practised expert are used very differently than when some novice person like myself tries to use them. Ability and sophistication develop through practice. And that needs time. After my first seminar, this didn't occur to me. I simply felt like I was ready to conquer the songwriting world smile

It's now 13 years after that first Pattison seminar. Up until then, I had no idea at all how to write lyrics and to fit them to music. What Pat gave me was some analytical insight to get started and a belief that I could do it. The reason I kept on returning to his seminars was because every time I heard him speak, I heard things a little differently because as I practised more and gained more experience, I was able to gain increasingly more from his words.

Now when I now look back on my songs from 13 years ago, I usually cringe. At that time, I thought I understood 100% what Pattison was saying. I didn't. In reality, it was just a glimmer of what was to come many years later. As someone once told me, hindsight is always 20/20 vision.

What I am forever grateful to Pattison for is that he taught me how to, and I quote him, "Write Fearlessly!" As he has said at every seminar I've been to, "Never be afraid to write crap. After all, it's the best fertiliser." When I look back now, it's amazing how these two statements of his have been driving forces for me on my songwriting journey.

Thank you again for giving me a heap of the proverbial 'food for thought'!

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,585
Posts734,719
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 196