OP Offline
Veteran
Hopefully this decision is appealed and assessed with proper musical analyses

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for posting that Noel. Very interesting indeed. Am I the only one here who thinks that we should just share? What nonsense is all this? Music is for everyone. I was watching The Lion Share on Netflix the other day about The Lion Sleeps Tonight. I don’t know... maybe it is just me.. but who in their right mind thinks that they can “own” music. Maybe I would have a different view if one of Katie Perry’s songs sounded like one of mine smile

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The precedent that is set is extremely dangerous.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Here's another clip by Adam Neely commenting on the $100,000,000 lawsuit filed against Ed Sheeran for copyright infringement.

Seems to me that the secret to success is in confusing the jury.

DIRECT LINK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpi4d3YM79Q

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You have got to love Adam Neely. I can listen to him talk all day. Reminds me the "billions and billions" guy, whats his name? On ya Carl Sagan.

You go Adam, give em what for...

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Joanne, you might indeed think differently if your living depended on songwriting. I’ve been fortunate that I rarely needed to make a living by music, but in six decades of professional playing and writing I’ve always acted in a way that preserved the rights and opportunities of those who do make a living. I will not give away what others need to charge for. The exception is donating my services for a charity. But for everything else, I respect that music is a business.

In these cases of music plagiarism, I feel the decision must be made by musically-knowledgeable judges in a bench trial, never by juries of average folks.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
The precedent that is set is extremely dangerous.

EXACTLY RIGHT

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
In these cases of music plagiarism, I feel the decision must be made by musically-knowledgeable judges in a bench trial, never by juries of average folks.

I completely agree.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This is very dangerous indeed. There are no similarities between those two pieces of music other than the language of music itself. The contested form has been used for centuries and certainly is in the public domain.

It is like Hemingway's heirs suing the Ziggy cartoonist for using the some of the same words as "Old Man & The Sea".

I hope Ms. Perry appeals and wins and collects her legal fees.

Ever since the also very wrong "Blurred Lines" decision, it seems like open season for gold diggers via the legal system.

The reason for the copyright laws is so that the plagiarizer couldn't copy another authors work and thus diminish the sales of the original work. I can't see how this tune by Ms. Perry stole one penny of profit from the original.

This is not justice, it's theft via the legal system.

The "Christian" rapper called Flame is not acting very Christ-Like - Thou shalt not steal.

But then it's a lot easier to call yourself a Christian than to act Christ-like

Always striving to act Christ-Like is something the nuns in parochial school drummed into our heads on a daily basis for all the years I was in Catholic school.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
Speaking as someone who makes a living writing songs, this is a horrible ruling and dangerous precedent. It opens up a Pandora's Box where copyright infringement suits can become a cottage industry (regardless of the legitimacy of the claim). The average cost to the defendant in these type of cases, just to have a frivolous suit thrown out, is $30,000. Again, that's $30k of expense to the songwriter/publisher even if the claim is completely invalid. The cost can skyrocket if it gets litigated further.

I personally believe this is one instance where a trial by jury is the wrong way to go. Copyright infringement decisions should be rendered by individuals who are qualified to make decisions based on true musical similarity (or lack of), not arbitrary folks off the street.

As to the notion that all music should be "shared" or "free", there are a myriad of reasons why that makes no sense, much less wouldn't work in the real world. By that logic, I should be able to walk into the Louvre, take the Mona Lisa off the wall, and bring it home with me. The rights of creators are protected in the U.S. by nothing less than the U.S. Constitution (Article 1, Section 8) - "To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries." Virtually all nations have a similar respect for intellectual property rights, and it is a huge component of international commerce - while it can be argued that it may not be a good thing, it is a fact of life, and there would be significant balance of trade issues that would erupt if IP such as music were to made free for all.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Count me on the side of protecting intellectual property. I have never made a nickel from any of my songs, but I worked hard on them. They are mine and they mean a lot to me. They all have something special that is a part of me. I will never concede that anyone has the right to use them without my permission.

2b

i5-3210 laptop. Win 10 Home. 2.5ghz, 64 bit. 6gb RAM. Focusrite Scarlet 2i2.
Off-Topic
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
Interesting & disturbing situation...

Jim
†=☮&♥
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
This is not justice, it's theft via the legal system.

- This.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've had a copyright court cases thread running on the Keyboard Corner forum and posted this one last week. For some reason I forgot to post it here. Rick Beato has the best analysis I've seen so far. He's a solid musician and plays parts of both songs on his guitar and keyboard to illustrate his points.

Who knows why the jury did what they did. In court it's all about the quality of the evidence and witnesses. Maybe she came off snotty and arrogant. Maybe her musicologist didn't explain this as clearly as Beato did. Whatever, this verdict needs to be overturned.

As for refusing to have a jury trial, that's illegal. People have the absolute right to a jury trial and that's not changing so you have to have your act together or this happens.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If it did require a trial by jury, Katy would have benefited if she could have used Adam Neely as her attorney.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I heard about this, and it's absolutely infuriating. It really makes it daunting for songwriters trying to thrive when something like this is reason enough to be sued. It's gone too far.

Cheers,
Deryk
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I understand the need to protect intellectual property. We live in a world where people will circulate your entire portfolio of songs for free as soon as you publish. This is out of control, and nobody seems to be doing much about it.

But heaven forbid your own original song includes a short fragment from somebody else's song. That breach of judgement could cost you millions.

Where do you draw the line between the elements of music and the creations we build from them? That's what needs to be defined. Until there is a clear definition of exactly what part of an idea can be owned exclusively, lawyers will continue to push the boundaries until there's no room left for anyone to dare to write a song.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
We all thought we've known that for like forever. Melody and lyrics AND, song specific "licks" that can be considered part of a melody. My favorite example of that is the Stones Satisfaction. Everybody in the world who cares knows that intro lick and it runs throughout the song. Nobody with half a brain would dare to use that in some other song.

BUT, getting away from the obvious ones, where do you draw the line? Is some one bar phrase or lick something like Satisfaction or is it simply an open source part of a song construction kit? That's what this case is about and to me the jury sure got it wrong but the question is why did they get it wrong? What was presented to them? What were the jury instructions from the judge? Rules of evidence are very specific in any court.

The appeal should be very interesting. If she loses the appeal I would take it to the Supreme Court. The problem there is they only accept a very few cases. Another problem is this is rap and pop stuff. Pretty much anybody over the age of 50 or so can't stand to listen to it. I can see judges and juries simply shutting their ears to it and going yeah, whatever who cares about this crap. They don't want to hear about the creativity that went into it, they think it's a joke. Or at least most probably.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
There are a lot of songwriter/publisher related disputes that are handled through arbitration. The number of infringement cases that actually go to court is small, usually either when both parties are adamant in their position beyond the point of common sense, or the more frequent frivolous cases, where you're (quite frankly) dealing with nut jobs. I had a guy try to sue me a few years back because we had written the same title. His copyright date was 2006, and I got the "you stole my song" letters. I pointed out that MY song was not only written/copyrighted in 1994, it had been on a 1999 Trace Adkins album. His reply was "well you must've known I was planning on writing it". Some people just can't be reasoned with. Conversely, I know of a LOT of legitimate infringements that were handled privately, that were never made public. The infringing writer basically had an "oh crap!" moment, approached the original creator and said "let me make this right". Most of the cases you read about are the gray area cases, or the ones such as I described earlier above.

Going to trial would be the last thing I would ever want to do, regardless of which side of the infringement I happened to be on. It's expensive, stressful, and the only ones who come out ahead are the lawyers.

I would prefer to see a mandatory arbitration process implemented - going to court would be a last resort instead of step one. Not realistic maybe, but if courts/juries continue to get it wrong, something is going to have to be adjusted.

Last edited by Roger Brown; 08/06/19 04:47 AM.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Now might be the time to revisit definition of "jury of peers."

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,577
Posts734,575
Members38,496
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234, trustedmedications, MAJORKEY, Fender601
38,495 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193