Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Hi,

PG Music - please fix this Real Track.

When you play the "Solo" in the Real Tracks Picker screen it is perfect. Lots of lovely stabs, fills and "Fall-Offs" (I think that's what you call them). Jim Clark has done a great job and it really suits it's stated genre i.e. "Background Blues Shuffle 130 SW".

I can really use this in a lot of R&B, Soul and Blues songs and i'm sure many other members could also.

HOWEVER when you select this Real Track 3257 and play it in a song the "wheels totally fall Off". It changes to a completely unrelated weird series of held strange notes. I cannot even imagine where it could be used in it's current state.

Please fix this - you can make a lot of people very happy very quickly.

Thanks & Best Regards
Nigel

Nigel Spiers
Christchurch, New Zealand
info@nzacoustics.com
Veteran
Veteran
Nigel,

You may be able to change some Band-in-a-Box preference settings and RealTracks 3257 may perform closer to your expectations.

See the responses by VideoTracks and Noel96 in the post +++ BB add 7th when no 7th is required +++ for preference settings that influence what RealTrack phrases Band-in-a-Box selects for playback.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
I just tested this out Nigel and don't see a problem. I haven't made any of the suggested Song changes either.

My first test I simply added that RT to Moanin using a rock funk style and it played fine in the solo section but it didn't play at all during the punches (shots) for the head which makes sense. Does your arrangement include shots or holds?

Then I searched for a RT blues shuffle style and the first one on my list is _Brief And Blues Shuffle Horns. That style includes the same horns RT. I used it with Jeff Golub's version of Cold Duck Time and it sounds great. Note you get different phrases with the A and B substyles. Try that style and see if it works for you.

If you still have a problem post a link to the songfile using one of the file sharing sites like Dropbox, Google Drive or whatever you have and we can download it and see whats up.

<Edit> Don't worry, Nigel we'll figure out your issue but I have to say I would have never thought to use this style and those horns with Cold Duck Time using Golub's chord changes. It's AWESOME. I've been jamming along with it on my piano and after running through the changes several times I'm hearing all kinds of different licks in those horns. I'm going to put this into Real Band and really do up a proper arrangement of it. Your problem just gave me a very cool project to work on.

Bob

Last edited by jazzmammal; 08/10/19 09:55 AM.

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Hi Jazzmammal,

Thanks for your thoughts.

Yes I tried the _Brief And Blues Shuffle Horns style you suggested - no change - it plays a series of long drawn out notes in both the Blue and Green sections. I've changed every Track settings and nothing at all changes even slightly.

Have you listened to the Solo in the "Assign RealTracks To Track" Screen in BIAB? Yes there are a couple of longer held notes but the majority are lovely stabs and fills.

The problem is that these long notes are playing right over where the vocalist sings or where the instrumentalist solos - that is not what a Shuffle Horn Section does (or any Horn Section for that matter).

Something has gone wrong at PG Music between the recording, the Solo File in the "Assign Realtracks....." screen and using this Realtrack in a BIAB song.

I would be very keen to hear suggestions from PG Music as to what is wrong and when they are able to fix it.

Best Regards
Nigel

Nigel Spiers
info@nzacoustics.com
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Nigel, it may depend on the key signature of the song. I am of the understanding that RealTracks phrasings are recorded in several different keys. The performer may have included different variations in the material depending on what key it was being performed in. Try changing the key signature (transposing) and regenerate and see if the performance changes. Also, try transposing your song into the same key that the demo is recorded in and check if there is a difference.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
If it's playing a part that don't fit with the vocal try MultiRiffing 3257 in the Biab Plugin or RealBand.
You can also freeze the 3257 track in BB then upload the SGU and say where the bad parts are, then we can try and see if we get the same results.

Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your suggestions.

However - have you tried this real track in say a simple 12 Bar Shuffle (choose any key)?

Yes - if there was the odd wrong bar or two I could get round that in my DAW with edits. But 95% of the bars are wrong!

I think we now need to hear from PG Music and how they are going to fix this Real Track for everybody's benefit.

Best Regards
Nigel

Nigel Spiers
info@nzacoustics.com
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
What if you try .......... ??? crazy

have a listen to the original source tracks wma/wav in x:\bb\RealTracks\Horn Section, Background BluesShuffle Sw 130
you can drag them in the DAW.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
RT-3257-Horns.png (209.58 KB, 75 downloads)
RT-3257-Horns-DAW.png (193.75 KB, 69 downloads)
Veteran
Veteran
Something I just realized, in your OP you referred to the horns as "Solo". They are not a solo horn RT, they're named background horns.

Both of my test songs are not basic 3 chord blues so I just tried that with a simple 12 bar 3 chord blues. Yes, I get a lot of long held chords too but there are still some of the stabs and other fills especially at the B substyle but I agree, not as many as in the demo. Then I tried different key sigs and there's a difference there. Then I put in the fast 4 change on bar 2 and that helped as bit as well. Then I switched it to a minor blues and that changed things up a bit. Then I tried the minor blues in several keys. For each of these I regenerated several times and got different results every time but still, I would say at the best it was 70/30 held chords to all the fills and I think you would probably want to see that ratio reversed.

To be fair to PG consider in a real blues song with horns they are not playing licks and riffs continuously. There is a lot of held chords but you as the mixing engineer need to lower the volume during those sections and bump it up for the riffs and punches. I'm thinking that demo was just that, a demo of a lot of riffs one after the other but it doesn't mean that's what an actual track sounds like. That's a bit of a cop out I know but...

Pipeline is right the easy and fast way to fix this is to open the song in Real Band and use the multiriff function. If you're not familiar with that, when you invoke multiriff in RB it takes the next 7 unused tracks and populates them with 7 different versions of that track in one shot. That saves you from regenerating it 7 times on 7 different tracks manually to get the same result. Then with all those riffs you mute or copy/paste or use the volume nodes to create one good horn track. Personally I see a lot of potential with those horns but I also know they need work to make them fit Cold Duck Time. Few people have heard that version but Jeff Golub put a whole bunch of cool chord subs that take it far from the original Les McCann version.

I just played Cold Duck again and the big difference is the bridge has a chord every bar and the horns play well with that. The verse has Bb for 8 bars so there I get held chords almost every bar and I did get two fills but those held chords are in different inversions and some go up an octave so it's not just the same exact chord for 8 bars.

Like I said in the other thread, different tools for different jobs, none are perfect by themselves. We all would love one awesome program that does it all but that does not exist.

Bob

Last edited by jazzmammal; 08/10/19 09:04 PM.

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Hi Jazzmammal,

"Something I just realized, in your OP you referred to the horns as "Solo". They are not a solo horn RT, they're named background horns."

No I didn't - I said "Press the Solo button in the Assign RealTracks To Track Screen".

Please re-read my posts so you are familiar with the exact nature of the problem.

Pipeline - I can see what you are doing but that is not the answer - that is way too much work for every Rock, Jazz, Blues, Country, Soul and R&B user of BIAB - asking them to dig their way through a mountain of loops to try an create one simple backing track. If they wanted to do that they wouldn't be using BIAB at all.

No - the answer is for PG Music to fix the Real Track so it sounds the way the artist has correctly recorded it.

The best solution would be to divide up the loops into two or three Real Tracks to cover this critical area:

- one with single, double, triple stabs and fall-offs (for the Tonic and Sub-Dominant sections).
- one with fills (for bars 3, 4, 7 & 8 of the Tonic and possibly for the Turn-Around)
- one with held notes (can optionally be used on the Dominant).

Best Regards
Nigel

Nigel Spiers
info@nzacoustics.com
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
No that will take ages, I just mean play them and see what is available and how they are recorded.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
But what you said about making it up manually, the way I did that was you generate up a lots of a RealTrack in RealBand then the part you like just highlight the section in the chord sheet then drag the track number out into the DAW.
I'm just used to finding workarounds as you could die waiting for PG to fix things, so if they don't get around to fixing it in a hurry you have an alternative, but if all else fails you can go to Jim himself http://www.realsax.com/

Veteran
Veteran
Horns are one of the most difficult things for Biab to do because in the real world the horns are always an integral part of the song. The lines are specifically written to complement what else is going on. IOW, horns are very song specific. I've listened to most of the midi horn styles as well as the newer RT horn styles and none are close to fitting whatever song I happen to be working on. I'll hear some licks or phrases that could work but other parts are not close.

When I said I really like the way those horns work with Cold Duck does not mean I'm happy with what Biab did and I'm done. Not even close. What I heard was the potential to make a good horn track out of the many varied parts of that RT. I don't know if that makes sense to you or not Nigel but to me there is no way Biab can simply generate horn lines by itself and we'll be happy with the result. They're too specific for each song, the lines you come up with that works in one won't work in another. They'll always need a lot of editing and tweaking by the user but at least that particular RT gives us a lot of material to work with and they're mixed very well.

I think the best you can hope for from PG is they make the RT demo more realistic as to what a track will sound like rather than changing what that RT will actually generate. We can disagree on the definition but they are named Background. Background horns to me are not going to be playing licks and fills every bar, they are supposed to be background meaning lots of holds are appropriate no different than background organ or piano.

Just had another dangerous thought. Maybe PG could take these horns and create a second RT from them and name it Blues Horns Punches and Fills and that track would play nothing but that all the time. Now we have 2 horn tracks to mix and match. That could work. They could even create some new RT styles using both RT's.

Bob

Last edited by jazzmammal; 08/11/19 06:31 AM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,453
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195