Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
R
OP Offline
R
Hi! Noob question - but I can't find an answer anywhere in the forums.
Bought Ultrapack on a hard drive. Want to install to my Win 10 desktop computer. Installation routine says there is not enough room on C drive (as I expected).
How do I install on 2nd ("D") drive?
Or even if, how to just install all the large content files on D, if I have to include some crucial files on C because it has the OS on it?
I don't see anywhere in the installation procedure to make those choices.
I'm sure I'm missing something really basic, but I'm lost at this point because I can't find any posts that address this,
Thank you for your help,
rockinbop

Veteran
Veteran
Hi,

Welcome to the forums.

I run BIAB from my computer's internal D: drive.

To install it, start the installation routine on your USB drive and choose the option that asks for it to be installed on your computer's hard drive. then, when paths appear, simply set d:\bb as the installation folder. (I'm working from memory but that should be close.)

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
One option I did, was to copy the whole external USB drive to an internal drive for regular use, and then tuck the external drive away as my backup. We can have an 3 active copies and a backup according to license agreement. But we can only run one license at a time.
PG has confirmed this is OK with a purchased copy.

Then I ran the installer and installed things so the programs can run on C: and the rest of the USB disk (Realtracks and Realdrums) is on the aforementioned internal E: drive.
This way my 120 gig USB is stored away and I can use the 500 gig E: drive to run Biab/RB and store everything (as if it were the external drive), including songs if desired.
I can run BiaB/RB from E: or C:, which is nice. My internal E: drive acts like the USB BiaB drive but is bigger and faster.
Or I run BiaB/RB from C: and use the Realtracks from E:

This reserves 2 of my 3 allowed install licenses but it sure is handy, especially when doing testing. I can have the latest/greatest test install on C: and know I still have the last stable release version on E: (or vice versa)
Plus I know I always have the original hard drive if needed, with very little wear/tear on it.
If I do have to take the USB drive to another (3rd) computer I have had little issue with running the program(s) from there since I still have the 3rd license available.

If your setup allows this, I've found it to be a nice way to handle things.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
R
OP Offline
R
Thank you, Noel!
I found that box with the options to put on a specific HD. I don't know why I missed that in previous attempts, except maybe I had chosen the option one, which does not bring up the choices?
It is written in very very small fonts, I wonder if that is my system or the software?
In any case, this time, I found it thanks to you, and it seems to have installed correctly. In looking at what IS installed now, on the C drive, it's still about 20GB... does that seem normal, for just the operating core of the software? (I'm thinking of the possibility that my previous attempts (like I tried option 4) put more on the drive, and now that I have done the full install on my D drive, there are extraneous files on the C that I could get rid of? I would think it would be a lot less than 20GB. But I wouldn't want to delete and re-install just to find out that's what it really is.
Thanks again!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Rockinbop, I have BiaB totally installed on a external HD. There is nothing on my system drive (128gb, small) for BiaB. I just looked.

R
OP Offline
R
OK Guys, you are in many cases way above my head. Here's my setup:
C drive is 128GB solid state.
D is actually my Optical (CD) drive
E (I had called this D in my original post) is where I have lots of room and want to put content.
I also have external USB drives I could use to store stuff if it ever came to that.
I bought The PGMusic USB Hard Drive.

My original thought was that running BIAB from the PGMusic HD was not the safest thing, in terms of if anything went wrong, it could be my ultimate backup. I also thought - perhaps not correctly - that running the program from an internal drive would be faster.

In addition to BIAB, I will be installing a DAW and parts of the Komplete library.

So my tiny little C drive needs to be kept as lean as possible.

rharv,
I understand the logic of paragraph: "One option I did, was to copy the whole external USB drive to an internal drive for regular use, and then tuck the external drive away as my backup. " I think that was part of my original intent. My C drive is only 128GB, but I thought (perhaps not logically) that running BB from the PGMusic external USB HD would be slower than runnning from an internal drive. Also wasn't sure if saving songs and ideas to that PGMusic HD was the safest thing to do?

So running from a drive OTHER than C, and OTHER than the PGMusic drive, was my intent.
-And I DO like the idea of ".. tuck the external drive away as my backup"

When you copied the entire drive to a separate internal drive "for regular use" is there other data on that drive as well? Do you put the copied material in it's own folder, or put it exactly as is on the HD we purchased? I see 4 individual folders - "bb; Documentation; PGMusic; RealBand"; and then files "autorun; Band-in-a-Box (32-bit); Band-in-a Box (64-bit); datalist.asc; License; ReadMe First; RealBand;Setup". My question would be, can that hard drive you copy to also have other data on it without interfering with using BIAB?

Grem also says he has it all on an external drive, with nothing on the C drive. So that is what I could do, copying it totally to my E drive and running it from there? (But I thought somewhere the directions said there would be some files placed on the C drive)

So if it is possible to run the entire program from my E drive, AS IF that was the PGMusic HD, and save space on C drive as well as have a complete backup? I had always thought there had to be SOME files on the C drive just to register with Windows in some way, to have it run correctly? Again, my lack of computer knowledge rears it's head.

Am I confusing this with When you: "Then I ran the installer and installed things so the programs can run on C: and the rest of the USB disk (Realtracks and Realdrums) is on the aforementioned internal E: drive." ... Is that the installation option #1, (which I may or may not have tried once)

It would be great to have everything on the E drive, put away the PGMusic drive for safety, and have as little as possible on the C drive. But when I install my DAW (Reason and/or Studio One) with as little as possible on the C drive, will they be able to access the BIAB as an insert?

At this point, I have a whole lot of PGMusic files on my C drive, probably from installing it incorrectly on previous attempt(s).
There is a "bb" folder, which includes folders "BBPlugin; "DX Settings"; "Uninstall" and an application "bbw4"
Also, inside "Program Files" folder is:
Folder: "VSTPlugins", with 2 .dll files
Folder: "PG Music Inc", containing a folder of "Band-in-a-Box Sounds", which contains a folder "GUI"; another "Programs", and 8 files
Folder: "Common Files" < VST2, with Band-in-a-Box DAW VST Plugin.dll
Folder: "Common Files" < VST3, with 2 other folders plus "Band-in-a-Box DAW VST3 Plugin.vst3
Folder: "Steinberg> VSTPlugins", which contains Band-in-a-Box DAW VST Plugin.dll
and hopefully not much more.
Oh yeah,
Folder "Program Files (x86)" has a bunch also,including
Folder: "PowerTracksDirectX Plugins".
Folder: "Coyote"
I'm not even going to look in the Common Files. I'm sure you can tell what I did wrong originally.

At this point, should I:
1) disconnect my PGMusic drive from my computer
2) completely delete BIAB and whatever else PGMusic from Windows delete programs page?
3) copy everything from PGMusic HD to my E (internal HD) just the way it is, with no regard to other folders already on that drive?
4) Run BIAB installation program from the E drive as if I was running it from the original PGMusic HD < BUT WHICH OPTION? Don't make the same mistake I made before!>
5. If I do this, I do not need to install anything onto my C drive?

Will other applications know how to find BIAB as the plugin? If it's a VST doesn't it somehow have to be within one or more VST folders?

Thank you so much.
Rockinbop

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,584
Posts734,713
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197