You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#549683 - 08/15/19 05:34 PM [Off-Topic] Is the ocarina underappreciated?
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

I went to the museum a little while ago, and they have a Mayan exhibit set up. In that exhibit they showcased a lot of different ceremonial ocarinas that had me scratching my head a little. They were so intricate that it was hard to believe that they could actually be played, and they took on the shape of full statuettes complete with holes for finger placement. And when I stopped to think about it, I don't actually know of anyone that I've met in person that has ever played one (except for maybe a passing fancy after playing Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, where the main character can play an Ocarina to manipulate time, weather, seasons, etc, only to never play it again after they couldn't get the desired sound).

Does anyone here play one? Or had experiences with someone who does? Or just enjoy the sound of them in general? Curious about people's thoughts and feelings on them.

Edited by Ember - PG Music (08/15/19 05:35 PM)

#549687 - 08/15/19 06:06 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Is the ocarina underappreciated? [Re: Ember - PG Music]
Loc: Cornwall UK
Mike Head Online   content
Expert

Loc: Cornwall UK
Hi

Yes indeed quite a pleasant sound.
It is a standard midi voice patch no 80 – Ocarina, and was for a long time the go to voice for midi based karaoke for a soft melody voice for those that like to sing over a back melody guide voice.
I have always liked it and yes we had them at school in music sort of shell shaped with a flute like sound.
I assume this is the same as you mention.
Mike

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/

#549715 - 08/16/19 02:42 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Is the ocarina underappreciated? [Re: Ember - PG Music]
Loc: Ohio
DSM Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Ohio
I see them a lot at medieval faires. Overpriced there but they are available.

...Deb

#549721 - 08/16/19 03:39 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Is the ocarina underappreciated? [Re: Ember - PG Music]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

The Troggs used an Ocarina to play the solo in their hit "Wild Thing" back in the 60's.

Here is a more recent video of them showing it (skip to 1:08 for the solo):

Blue Attitude Website

#549723 - 08/16/19 04:16 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Is the ocarina underappreciated? [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Good find Blue Attitude. That solo is certainly a memorable part of the song.
BIAB&RB2019(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#549724 - 08/16/19 04:38 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Is the ocarina underappreciated? [Re: Ember - PG Music]
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

I actually still have the 45 of that song around here someplace, it was a big hit for them back in the day. I used to play it in a band I was in back in the early 70's.

Blue Attitude Website

#549726 - 08/16/19 04:55 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Is the ocarina underappreciated? [Re: Ember - PG Music]
Loc: Pensacola, Florida
jford Offline
Veteran

I've got my grandmother's ocarina in a box around here somewhere. Used to play simple melodies on it as a kid when we went to visit. I'm guessing it's probably over 80 years old. I'll have to see if I can find it.

LaptopBeast HP Win7Pro64, 8GB
AudioBeast ASUS Win10Pro64, 16GB
VideoBeast HP Win10Pro64, 8GB

UMC404HD/Casio Kbds/BB-RB2019/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
http://www.sus4chord.com

#549748 - 08/16/19 07:43 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Is the ocarina underappreciated? [Re: Ember - PG Music]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

The ocarina is definitely underappreciated - thought, admittedly all it makes me think of is Zelda. It is a very pretty instrument though smile

#549937 - 08/17/19 02:45 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Is the ocarina underappreciated? [Re: BlueAttitude]
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
The Troggs used an Ocarina to play the solo in their hit "Wild Thing" back in the 60's.

Here is a more recent video of them showing it (skip to 1:08 for the solo):

I had completely forgotten about this!! Thanks for sharing that.

#549938 - 08/17/19 02:46 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Is the ocarina underappreciated? [Re: jford]
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Originally Posted By: jford
I've got my grandmother's ocarina in a box around here somewhere. Used to play simple melodies on it as a kid when we went to visit. I'm guessing it's probably over 80 years old. I'll have to see if I can find it.
If you are able to find it and are willing to share pictures I'd love to see!

#549975 - 08/17/19 06:59 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Is the ocarina underappreciated? [Re: Ember - PG Music]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Expert

Ocarinas are way undervalued instruments, considering cost of making one and beautiful sound it can produce.

About 20 years back, I went to visit my grandparents to my hometown and attended local craft fair.
I met a talented clay artist who had made couple of neat, large ocarinas for me. The bird design on it is mine smile

#550012 - 08/18/19 04:10 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Is the ocarina underappreciated? [Re: Ember - PG Music]
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Very cool, Misha!

Now you need to use it on a song I think cool

Blue Attitude Website

#550263 - 08/19/19 05:27 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Is the ocarina underappreciated? [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Ocarinas are way undervalued instruments, considering cost of making one and beautiful sound it can produce.

About 20 years back, I went to visit my grandparents to my hometown and attended local craft fair.
I met a talented clay artist who had made couple of neat, large ocarinas for me. The bird design on it is mine smile

That is an absolutely beautiful instrument!

#550264 - 08/19/19 05:27 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Is the ocarina underappreciated? [Re: BlueAttitude]
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Very cool, Misha!

Now you need to use it on a song I think cool

I second this!

#550319 - 08/20/19 10:00 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Is the ocarina underappreciated? [Re: Ember - PG Music]
jford Offline
Veteran

If I find mine out in the shed, I'll be sure to take and post a picture.

LaptopBeast HP Win7Pro64, 8GB
AudioBeast ASUS Win10Pro64, 16GB
VideoBeast HP Win10Pro64, 8GB

UMC404HD/Casio Kbds/BB-RB2019/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
http://www.sus4chord.com

#550437 - 08/21/19 06:04 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Is the ocarina underappreciated? [Re: jford]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: jford
If I find mine out in the shed, I'll be sure to take and post a picture.

The shed? Oh, you mean the adjacent music studio grin
BIAB&RB2019(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#550448 - 08/21/19 07:36 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Is the ocarina underappreciated? [Re: Ember - PG Music]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

I'm thinking probably no more than the banjo or the bagpipes.... but at least you can use the banjo in place of a hammer.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

PG Music News
Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows was released in December 2018, and included many new features and enhancements - like the enhancements we made to our Notation window!

These include:
-Pressing the space bar plays the song from the current location.
-Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location.
-The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
-Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on it.
-In the Notation Windows Options dialog, the clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
-The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
-You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.
-A new track type (Drums) is available for the Melody and Soloist tracks.
-Holding down the Ctrl key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
-There's a keystroke entry mode -the "N" mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
-A new button in the Print Options dialog lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the Chord Sheet.
-You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When the dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current notation track.

There's detailed information on our 2019 notation enhancements here: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 New Feature - Notation Enhancements

Jump to the Notation topic in our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 new features video.

Band-in-a-Box® Drum Features!

Today is National Drummer Day!
(not to be confused with National Hug a Drummer Day, which is October 10th)

Band-in-a-Box® is a great resource for drummers! Practice with an on-demand back-up band, learn from the Pro's with RealDrums notation (RealCharts, new with version 2019), MIDI drums notation, or play in the Drum Kit Window!

Not a drummer? Add drums to your Band-in-a-Box® project with RealDrums! Whether you're looking for Bluegrass, Blues, Bossa, Country, Dance, Dixieland, Folk, Funk, HipHop, Jazz, Latin, Metal, Pop, RnB, Rock, Soul, Techno, Traditional, Waltz, or World (and variations within) - you'll definitely find what you're looking for in our RealDrums library - there are over 500 available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Build 315 Update Available!

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac users - a new FREE patch update (build 315) is available!
Review details and download here

Summary of changes for build 315 (Nov 15, 2019):

Fixed: Exporting MusicXML files was not working.
Fixed: When using "Auto-Hand split Piano track" feature, exported MIDI files contain wrong note durations on the Piano track.
Fixed: Note-based lyrics were not included when exporting MIDI files.
Fixed: User should be prompted to save their song when exiting, if they had added or removed plugins.
Fixed: The Record Audio dialog always says “Track type is Stereo” even if the track type is mono.
Fixed: The [Audio Options…] button in the Record Audio dialog was launching the Audio Devices dialog instead of the Audio Settings dialog.
Fixed: Loops dialog title bar displays wrong track name.
Fixed: Large patch map files are not completely loaded (were limited to 1985 patches).
Fixed: Notation context menu > Edit Section Text… did not do anything.
Fixed: Notation context menu > Insert Section Text… did not do anything.

My Favorite Things - Nudge Chords in Band-in-a-Box®

Love this time saving feature.

Ever fill in the chordsheet fully or for part of song, and then discover you want to add or take away an extra beat or more somewhere in the chordsheet.

Nudge chords (melody) from the Edit Menu is your friend here, the dialog will give you all the options either to remove or add beats where its needed.

Love it.
-musiclover

To learn more about this feature, read the "Advanced Chord Entry and Editing Features" topic when you click here.

Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonial & Demo - Rodney Gene Junior

Band-in-a-Box® endorsing artist Rodney Gene Junior has shared his latest User Testimonial and Demo with us, and we LOVE it! Not only does Rodney share with the viewer his enthusiasm for our program, he also shares a few examples of how he uses Band-in-a-Box® too - make sure you check it out!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Testimonial Video - Peter Torpey

Check out our latest Band-in-a-Box video testimonial, which takes using the program to a whole new level! Peter Torpey is a long time program user who has developed a way to work with the program, even though he's visually impaired - and he wants to make sure that others can too!
Click here to watch!

Learn more about Peter here.

View all our video testimonials here.

Want to make your own Testimonial? We'd love to see it! There's information on our Video Testimonials offer here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Upgrade & Full Manuals Available!
Forum Stats
30432 Members
62 Forums
60692 Topics
513584 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
JulesPitou, Aleksssl, ThomasJazz, YamahaTyros1, BReed

30432 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 197
Noel96 174