Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thought this tied in with some of the other discussions on the forum lately.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Extremely well stated.

He ended with "I don't see how that works long term." Hopefully that was a veiled threat. The odds are low but enough "big" artists refusing to place their music on the streaming platforms or removing it might get the attention of corporate. I'm assuming that a lot of major artists if they've been around a bit (and properly handled their income) could afford to sit it out for a while.

Interestingly there was a time when a situation like this would breed a union.

Bud

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Unions negotiate with management, who's management?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal

Bob

Apple Music, Google Play, Spotify, Amazon, Deezer, etc., all have management structures...unless they are AI smile

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
In the long run, we tend to get what we deserve. Just me talking, but if someone says "things change" then seems to imply that things now must remain the same--illogical at best.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It's probably like closing the barn door after the horse has escaped at this point I guess, but not impossible if enough of the big names get together and threaten to pull their music.

When I was a kid in the 60's I used to spend pretty much all of my allowance on 45's, they probably cost around $1.00 or so back then. Then when I started working the first thing I would do when I got paid was head out to the record store to buy an album or two, about $20.00 an album. So I was spending a minimum of $80.00 a month on music and didn't think twice about it; I loved listening to music and that's what it cost.

We went on vacation a few weeks ago and I decided to finally bite the bullet and get a spotify account because I wanted to download some music onto my iPad so I could listen to music on the plane.

It costs $9.99 a month and I can stream or download as many albums as I want.

As Joe says in the interview, great for the consumer, not so good for the artist. For me it would maybe make more sense to charge a basic fee for the streaming service, but then charge more for the download, maybe $1.00 per album download, with most of that paid directly to the artist. I would certainly have no problem paying more.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
But I would imagine there are relatively few situations where folks download to their device. We stream Apple Music at home and in our vehicles all the time but never actually download a file. I keep an old iPod in our vehicle that has 9000 songs on it in case we run out of cellular coverage. And we paid for everyone of those songs as they are all CD uploads! And I uploaded all of them years ago to iTunes so nowadays when we stream Apple Music we are listening to a fair amount of what we paid for.

BTW, my first album purchase was Elvis’ Golden Hits in 1957. I paid $3.98 for it and that was all my salary for a week of bagging groceries at my uncle’s store. My mother told me I made a big mistake because I’d never hear of that man again smile

Bud

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yeah, I'm sure you are right, Bud.

I'm very new to all this technology, just got my first smart phone a couple of months back and haven't used it for anything other than phone calls eek I need to look at getting spotify installed on that too I guess.

My first album purchase was Revolver by the Beatles, back in '66 or '67 I think. Forget how much I paid. Still have it!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Don't let me influence you too much...I'm a tech nut -- at least for my age. Apple Mac, two iPhones, iPad, Apple TV and an Apple Homepod. Mostly for music. I love Apple Music's curated radio stations...they have Janice and me nailed regarding what we like. Turn off the streaming in the house, step into the car and it picks up right where we left off.

I've got all my original Beatle albums...their whole catalog. Even a "butcher shop" cover.

But I stray from Joe's interview. I'm about as guilty as anyone for getting a LOT of music for very, very little money.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

Bob

Apple Music, Google Play, Spotify, Amazon, Deezer, etc., all have management structures...unless they are AI smile

Well, I see this as the same issue as buying decent quality but cheap goods from China. Anybody here seriously giving that up to save local jobs?

I'm going to make a blanket statement here. Everybody reading this shops the crap out of every single thing we want to buy online for the best price before purchasing it. True or false?

Another statement. Despite paying lip service to the concept of saving local jobs nobody reading this really cares about that either. True or false?

It's all about the best price, end of story.

I don't know how it works, no idea whats the definition of an "album sale" when everything is streamed but the big names are somehow getting paid millions for album sales whatever that means. Plenty of money is there for household name superstars, everybody else fights for scraps. That sounds to me like it's the same as its always been since recordings were invented. The mechanism has changed but the bottom line has not changed at all.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

Bob

Well, I see this as the same issue as buying decent quality but cheap goods from China. Anybody here seriously giving that up to save local jobs?

I'm going to make a blanket statement here. Everybody reading this shops the crap out of every single thing we want to buy online for the best price before purchasing it. True or false?

Another statement. Despite paying lip service to the concept of saving local jobs nobody reading this really cares about that either. True or false?

It's all about the best price, end of story.

I don't know how it works, no idea whats the definition of an "album sale" when everything is streamed but the big names are somehow getting paid millions for album sales whatever that means. Plenty of money is there for household name superstars, everybody else fights for scraps. That sounds to me like it's the same as its always been since recordings were invented. The mechanism has changed but the bottom line has not changed at all.

Bob

"Despite paying lip service to the concept of saving local jobs nobody reading this really cares about that either. True or false?"

FALSE. "Nobody" is, shall we say, rather broadly stated. I know a lot of folks that go out of their way to support our local businesses. I have close friends who campaign successfully for this in our community. There are some things that e-commerce will hit the hardest...Walmart and Lowes comes to mind locally. But we have three local hardware stores that have survived e-commerce and Lowes/Walmart. We have a local bike shop (that we used to own I might add) that is surviving the net by very creative endeavors, e.g., venturing into guided tours, etc. We even have audio shops that are still alive. ETC.

Bud

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Right. Lets say "nobody" means 5% cares? Pick a number. Not talking about supporting local businesses, I'm talking about products and online price shopping. You mentioned huge online retailers, Google, Apple, Amazon. Every day tens of thousands of shipping containers arrive at US ports with COSCO on them. Not Costco, COSCO. China Overseas Shipping Company. "Everybody" compares prices online. "Nobody" cares if they're US made or not.

Do you really think a 200,300,or 500% increase in the cost of online streaming would work? Especially given the ahem, other options that would pop up. You mentioned huge artists could afford to sit out for awhile. More likely they would simply sell direct using their own websites.

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Do you really think a 200,300,or 500% increase in the cost of online streaming would work? Especially given the ahem, other options that would pop up. You mentioned huge artists could afford to sit out for awhile. More likely they would simply sell direct using their own websites.

Bob

I hear that the cost of streaming is going down....inevitably....to zero? So Spotify etc may be making money now (ie charging users for streaming and not passing the "fruits" onto the artists) but I think that this on its way out...artists need to find another way (aka Amanda Palmer). For most artists, the days of going into the studio and recording a song/album and actually "getting" people to pay for that song/album afterward (be that through downloads/CDS/streaming/licensing/publishing), I think, are long gone.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I can sympathise with those hard working writers, musicians, producers et al but,I really believe nothing is going to fix the issue.

Saying “well I won’t put my stuff on a site that sells it cheap” is not an answer. All that happens is you end up with less exposure, which equals less income.

The loss in sales has been going on for many years now. Some of you guys spoke about buying 45s or albums. These were hard to copy in the early 60s. Then along came cassettes that made copying easier. Then the ability to copy CDs made it even easier to knock off someone’s hard work. Now there are many ways to copy and/or distribute music. Even easier to edit the stuff to suit yourself.

It is a sad fact but most people do not care. There is often comparisons made between music and other art forms, I ask “how many people spend countless hours painting pictures and get nothing”. The odd one gets through and actually makes a living.

My thoughts
Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Time passes and things change. It can turn on a dime or move at a snail’s pace. Music has been monetized for a very long time. I’m a data oriented person and am reticent to express my “beliefs.” But what the heck smile I believe that if a number of top artists (based on streams) demanded increased payment for all or “else” then the needle would move. The probability is, I suppose, low but I “believe” it is credible.

I guess that was circumspect enough. smile

Bud

Off-Topic
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper

Bob

I hear that the cost of streaming is going down....inevitably....to zero? So Spotify etc may be making money now (ie charging users for streaming and not passing the "fruits" onto the artists) but I think that this on its way out...artists need to find another way (aka Amanda Palmer). For most artists, the days of going into the studio and recording a song/album and actually "getting" people to pay for that song/album afterward (be that through downloads/CDS/streaming/licensing/publishing), I think, are long gone.

Not sure where you heard that, but it's highly unlikely for one basic reason....they are still obligated to pay royalties. If they give it away, where is the money to pay them going to come from? Stock options are what they've relied on up til now, but that's not a long-term solution.

Also, the notion that music will become universally "free" is a false narrative. Too much money involved. Not just record companies/artists/publishers/etc. - it's a balance of trade issue, and the Federal government isn't going to let go of a tax/trade revenue cash cow like that.

Off-Topic
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
This thread is pretty interesting...
But it sounds like one of those problems that has no a solution...
Unless all songwriters & artists banded together to create their own streaming & licensing services...
Bypassing the current system...

Jim
†=☮&♥
Off-Topic
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
Originally Posted By: Jim
This thread is pretty interesting...
But it sounds like one of those problems that has no a solution...
Unless all songwriters & artists banded together to create their own streaming & licensing services...
Bypassing the current system...

Unfortunately songwriters can't do that.

For every recording, there are actually two copyrights. The underlying work, the "words & music" song, called the circle-C; and the sound recording itself, which is the circle-R. Labels/artist operate in a more free market environment. When Taylor Swift pulled her music off of Spotify, for example, she pulled the circle-R's. She just happened to be the songwriter, so the underlying works went with them.

As a songwriter, I don't have the right to pull my songs off of Spotify, iTunes, or any other legal site or service, because the circle-C is a compulsory license. That means even if I don't agree with what they're paying me, I still have to license the songs (as long as it's at the statutory rate).

Because labels & artists have the autonomy of the circle-R rules, they have the ability to negotiate and, if necessary, pull music from content providers. The reason you don't see that happen more frequently is because if you look deep enough, you'll find out that much of the stock of the large streaming companies is owned by (wait for it) Sony, Warner Bros., Universal, etc.

The recently passed Music Modernization Act is a big step forward for songwriters, but it is far from the needed fix. It's sort of a deal where we say "well it's still terrible but it's better than it was".

The digital companies historically have undervalued and under appreciated the content they distribute. They believe (I've had someone actually tell me this) that their technology has more value than the music they distribute/stream. In actuality, they are a retail store, where consumers can get the product they want (music). But the retail stores don't want to have to pay for the products they are selling on a pass-through basis. They somehow think they should get it free, and then make all the money off it themselves (gross oversimplification here, but effectively accurate).

A recent ruling by the CRB (copyright royalty board) increased digital rates paid to songwriters over 40%, which is still woefully inadequate. The digital companies, led by Amazon & Spotify, are appealing that decision. It's a never-ending battle apparently.

Off-Topic
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Unfortunately songwriters can't do that.

For every recording, there are actually two copyrights. The underlying work, the "words & music" song, called the circle-C; and the sound recording itself, which is the circle-R. Labels/artist operate in a more free market environment. When Taylor Swift pulled her music off of Spotify, for example, she pulled the circle-R's. She just happened to be the songwriter, so the underlying works went with them.

As a songwriter, I don't have the right to pull my songs off of Spotify, iTunes, or any other legal site or service, because the circle-C is a compulsory license. That means even if I don't agree with what they're paying me, I still have to license the songs (as long as it's at the statutory rate).

Because labels & artists have the autonomy of the circle-R rules, they have the ability to negotiate and, if necessary, pull music from content providers. The reason you don't see that happen more frequently is because if you look deep enough, you'll find out that much of the stock of the large streaming companies is owned by (wait for it) Sony, Warner Bros., Universal, etc.

The recently passed Music Modernization Act is a big step forward for songwriters, but it is far from the needed fix. It's sort of a deal where we say "well it's still terrible but it's better than it was".

The digital companies historically have undervalued and under appreciated the content they distribute. They believe (I've had someone actually tell me this) that their technology has more value than the music they distribute/stream. In actuality, they are a retail store, where consumers can get the product they want (music). But the retail stores don't want to have to pay for the products they are selling on a pass-through basis. They somehow think they should get it free, and then make all the money off it themselves (gross oversimplification here, but effectively accurate).

A recent ruling by the CRB (copyright royalty board) increased digital rates paid to songwriters over 40%, which is still woefully inadequate. The digital companies, led by Amazon & Spotify, are appealing that decision. It's a never-ending battle apparently.

As I said...
It sounds like one of those problems that unfortunately has no a solution...

Last edited by Jim; 08/19/19 09:59 AM. Reason: missing ]

Jim
†=☮&♥
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,446
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195