Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Rustyspoon - I agree that latency is probably the biggest irritant to me. I've taken a sort of middle ground with my guitar and bass recordings: I use amp simulations that are dedicated to that, externally to my DAW interface. No noticeable latency, and I have the immediacy of the sound and no playing with it afterwards other than fades and pans.

I see lots of comments above about clipping - it's SO easy not to clip in the digital recording domain that you should never ever have to worry about it. Particularly if you have a 24 bit or higher bit-depth interface.

You simply do not have to worry about it if you are using roughly half of the input range. 24 bit puts the digital noise floor (the noise you get from the A/D converter deciding if it is silence or the 1st step above silence)48 dB lower than 16 bit.

You can gleefully record away without clipping very simply AND cleanly.

Now, if you are in fact depending on tape saturation for your sound - then probably you aren't satisfied with any of the simulated tape saturation plugins.

-Scott

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This is one of my points earlier. Probably 60-70% of posters on this forum have no clue about 16 bit vs 24 bit recording, how it works, what the interface has to do with it, don't know what recording "headroom" means, all that stuff. Oh, and the importance of mics and preamps as well.

Just one of many things to learn and being proficient in Windows has absolutely nothing to do with that, it's something you have to specifically understand about digital audio.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I don't remember how this came about but"0" in a Daw is not "0" on an analog console. An analog console has about 26 Db of gain above 0 left.Or headroom if you prefer.A saw has no headroom at 0. That's it fini.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
To answer the original question for me it's not recording latency ,as direct input monitoring deals with that, it's latency in the action of the daw controls. I can't lower the buffer enough to have smooth fader moves and not have the tracks stutter.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
That's a function of your computer, interface, ASIO drivers and how it's all set up and it does not require some hot hotrodded machine either. Remember Mac posting like 15 years ago he was getting 5-6 milliseconds of latency? That's about the same latency as you hearing a guitar amp from 6 feet away or a pianist sitting at a grand piano. It's already been measured many times, it's about 5ms from the time the pianist hits the key, the hammer hits the string and the speed of sound from the string to the ear. 5ms. IOW, it's unnoticable so it's all on us. Like I said before, we have to learn enough about PC's and DAW's to figure it out.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Not to change anyone's mind because as a hobby, or at a level less than full time, being engineer, producer and artist is both challenging and fun. But I believe most people could make better music and more music using less complicated hardware recording devices than with DAW's.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert

hi

Originally Posted By: silvertones
I don't remember how this came about but"0" in a Daw is not "0" on an analog console. An analog console has about 26 Db of gain above 0 left.Or headroom if you prefer.A saw has no headroom at 0. That's it fini.

The difference here is due to completely different meter design and scaling.
Analogue consoles have Vu meters, these show the rms voltage of the signal, scaled and expressed as power Db.

Digital use pp (peak) meters and show the amount you can use before you run out of bits, hence the more head room between 16 and 24 bits as the range from noise floor to the peak is greater.

Over simplified explanation but might help.
Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I must be very strange but I find using a DAW far easier than bouncing tracks and repeating parts time and again. Then putting up with hiss or a dry mouth noise (even worse with false teeth) or a myriad of other extraneous noises that found their way in.

When it comes to clipping Izotope has RX7 which has a De-Clip module that gets shy of some clipping albeit not perfect. I tried it today on something I recorded too hot about 10 years ago and was blown away by the result. (I have been waiting for the price on RX7 to come down. Yesterday Pluginboutique (Izotope also) offered an upgrade from Ozone 8 Advanced to the Production Suite for US$149. I took up the Pluginboutique offer as the included Izotope Iris 2 free)

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Ditto on the learning curve. There is so much and it never seems to end.

Regarding latency, I was never smart enough to get the right setting on RB. When I moved to Reaper, the defaults worked great and I didn't ask questions, just accepted it. Others on this forum have done very well dealing with latency using RB, so you might want to ask what settings they use.

2b

i5-3210 laptop. Win 10 Home. 2.5ghz, 64 bit. 6gb RAM. Focusrite Scarlet 2i2.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Right Mike. Just wonder why it was designed that way. It could have been designed the same as an analog console so that 0 still gave you some digital head room if you will.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
OK so... 2 things...

Latency. If you are using a good interface and it can run native (real) ASIO and not a wrapper on MME.... you should NOT have any sort of latency issues that affect your ability to record and playback with good real-time sync. When people say they have bad latency ( anything they can hear that affects their ability to record easily), I always ask what interface and driver they are using.

Annoying things:

Crashes..... but in the old tape days, the tape would jump off the reel and wind around the spindle.

Updates and obsolescence of software with respect to the new hardware and operating systems.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
+1 for the easy wonders of Izotope’s products (and their guide to mastering).

And I think Bob (jazzmammal) has a point: 70% of users don’t understand 59% of these concepts 78% of the time. But my figures might be wrong...

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
As, I suppose, one of those in the alluded to percentage bereft of advanced recording technological knowledge I can only speak from experience. Before I upgraded my RAM I was having latency issues requiring me to turn off plug-ins when recording a vocal and/or put Logic Pro X into a specific permutation of its low latency mode. Zero issues after the upgrade. A sample of one (me) may mean nothing but for me it worked. Nowadays I just want to record hassle free and have fun at it and let this wonderful digital technology work for me. Thank you PG Music, Logic Pro, Waves, Izotope and Focusrite. I may be a 73 year old curmudgeon but, counterintuitively, I don’t miss one aspect of my 45 years of analog recording. smile

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Come on Janice you don't miss splicing tape to rearrange the tune only to realize you cut in the wrong place? grin in

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: silvertones
Come on Janice you don't miss splicing tape to rearrange the tune only to realize you cut in the wrong place? grin in

Haha haha! My younger wife lends me her great ear All the time and is the most musical person I know but getting her to join in on a mix is like pulling teeth.

Bud

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
73 eh? Me too, I'm 74 in November, I should update my avatar I guess but I have such a nice smile in this one. Hey Matt, make that concept number 60% and you got it...

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Wow!
Thank you everyone who participated in the thread!
It was simply an opinion based post, not a cry for help. smile It was an interesting read. Some posts are straight to the point, some humorous some "outside the box". Excellent tech views had been expressed on human level.

I know exactly where my particular annoyance originates. I am a greedy recording slob and have dozens of instances of VST/Synths opened in the project, that is where the latency rat lives. I do have a decent card (Arturia Audiofuse) with real Asio driver written for it (not a wrapper) and I do have 32 GB of ram.
This latency thing does not take away from creative process much, it is just an annoyance smile

One of the most popular items was "clipping". I overcame this by reducing mic volume combined with a couple of singing techniques or just stepping away from mic on louder vocals. Still get them, but not terrible. I guess it is very different for instruments.

P.S. Matt, loved the formula: "70% of users don’t understand 59% of these concepts 78% of the time." It is a perfect candidate to be tattooed on someone's back.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
<...snip...> That's why nearly 100% of the artists with any analog recording experience would immediately see an improvement in their recordings if they inserted a physical mixer/console into their recording chain. <...>

I run MIDI out of one older computer into a half dozen or more hardware synth modules. Since they all have essentially the same latency (+-5 or 6ms) mixing different synths to get the best sound for each part is no problem.

I use a MIDI patch bay to route to the hardware synths and run the outputs to separate channels of an analog mixer. I like the analog because twiddling dials to balance is much quicker and easier than mousing. Plus I can do two at once.

Then I take the output of the mixer, along with any analog I want to add (sax, flute, vocals) into the DAW on a newer computer.

Some things work for me better using old analog tools, and others using new digital tools. It's best for me to have both.

Note: I don't do recordings that I want to release to the world as my new single or album, mostly backing tracks for my duo or demo files for my BiaB styles. If I wanted to do that, I'd go to a pro studio with good acoustics and pro to take care of the recordings.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Wow!
Thank you everyone who participated in the thread!
It was simply an opinion based post, not a cry for help. smile

Right but realize we are replying to a much wider audience than just you. Who knows how many people from all over the world get some benefit from all these replies.

See what you started?

Bob

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
<<< Some things work for me better using old analog tools, and others using new digital tools. >>>

Yes they do. Every so often I return to some of the older books, DVD's from many years ago especially if they pertain to functions of old hardware. I recently read a book published in the late 1980's about MIDI by Craig Anderton. In it's day, it was a very complete and detailed explanation of what midi is, how it works and how musicians use it to connect multiple pieces of gear together. Pro's were using equipment costing thousands of dollars to daisy-chain 4-5 single synths to create sounds a $49 keyboard can easily do today. It's a very complex book.

I just finished a second book last night that I'll be making a post about in a few minutes. From 1996, it's a book on home recording by award winning producer Peter McIan. The book is a technical, hands on book about using professional studio multi track recording techniques on a consumer 4 Track recorder. Only the content dealing with the physical limitations and physics of tape are obsolete. This is a book about sound and how to capture it cleanly. One has read 225 pages into the book before there's ever an instruction to hit the 'record' button. There are chapters on recording drums, bass, guitar and vocals. A chapter on microphones. After 216 pages of theory presented in lay terms, Mr. McIan begins a chapter that gives step by step instructions how to record and mixdown sixteen instruments onto a portable home studio machine. Each with it's own EQ, panning and special effects. The book is still in print because it's still relevant to the home recordist. Even if you use a DAW with unlimited tracks. Check out the post over in the Recording Thread.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 09/05/19 01:22 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,456
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195