Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#551951 - 08/30/19 11:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: Rough Edges (feat. PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hi there J&B plus Peter.

This certainly ticks all the boxes.

Great song, great band and a fabulous big sound with lots going on, but always staying coherent.

Super playing from Peter.

And Janice - well what can I say that you haven't heard me say before? No one does this any better
and it's a real privilege to get to sit back and listen to her sing.

A wonderful mix, with everything where it should be, except that I might have liked Janice's main vox up a
couple of db, but perhaps that's just me being her biggest fan.

Excellent stuff, team!

ROG.

#552022 - 08/30/19 05:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: Rough Edges (feat. PeterF) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
PB&J,

Cool opening. Let's you know more good stuff is comin'...

What could be better than Janice singing???... FIVE of 'em!!! Of course!
Great vocals (needless to say, say it anyway).

A big "live sounding" mix. Peter's guitar sounds good - nicely played. Nice punchy bass...

A good we-lived-it write.

Good music.

Well, what if...??

smile

fj

Thank you mr jane!

A great review from you is golden.

J&B

#552067 - 08/31/19 12:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: Rough Edges (feat. PeterF) [Re: Deryk - PG Music]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
What a tune! Everything about this one drew me in. It has tons of energy, and Janice's vocals on this are stunning. The harmonies are smooth as butter, and that chorus is a total earworm.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing smile

Thanks Deryk.
Peter

#552110 - 08/31/19 07:17 AM [User Showcase] Re: Rough Edges (feat. PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Virginia USA
Ezekiel's Storm Offline
Expert

Loc: Virginia USA
This is one hot track!!! Janice's voice(s) and Peter's guitar are killer. The NOSP piano is a great production choice: It drives this baby. Fantastico!

#552126 - 08/31/19 09:04 AM [User Showcase] Re: Rough Edges (feat. PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Fun listen!

This kind of "feel good" rocking song that I'd find at the end of a film when the credits roll, wrapping everything up neatly and sending the movie-goers dancing out the aisle (and piles of popcorn for the poor underpaid workers to clean up).

The song starts out strong on guitar, and then rolls along on bouncy piano. The mix is in your face, in a good way. It demands attention, and Janice and the guitar solo keep it there. Love the key change.

laugh

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#552305 - 08/31/19 06:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: Rough Edges (feat. PeterF) [Re: Tangmo]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
One of my favorite things to do is to hang out with another couple who have a few miles on their tires, listening to stories. So this just filled me with smiles.

Fantastic backing, certainly including Peter's tasty licks and timing. Janice sounds great. The layering of back-ups is very entertaining and "lifting". Well arranged too, with that key change coming in at the right spot. I like this a lot.

Thanks for the thoughtful comments. You mentioned all the things we hoped to achieve!

J&B

#552314 - 08/31/19 06:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: Rough Edges (feat. PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Janice, Bud and Peter,

What a thoroughly engaging creation!

From alpha to omega this is as good as music making gets. I honestly don't know how the forum's bar of achievement can be taken any higher than this one lifts it.

The arrangement and mix are awesome... the combination of Ozone, Nectar the Multiband Compressor is stunning. I just sat here thinking over and over, "How can I re-create this mix? It's incredible!" And if that wasn't enough, with Janice's vocals and Peter's guitar work, foreground and background are alive with words and very engaging music. My speakers sizzled.

Janice, your singing is out of this world. Not only are your melodies fantastic but your harmonies are polished and gleaming. I honestly don't know how you do it!

All the best everyone,
Noel

#552339 - 09/01/19 02:51 AM [User Showcase] Re: Rough Edges (feat. PeterF) [Re: BlueAttitude]
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Wowza!

Man, I love all those vocal parts, just outstanding! I'll bet it sounds great acapella.

Love that modulation to Bb, nice smooth transition.

And always enjoy hearing Peter do his thing.

Nice job on the write and mix, Bud.

Well done all, very much enjoyed this one!

Thanks Dave glad the modulation worked for you. Appreciate the comments.

Peter

#552375 - 09/01/19 09:14 AM [User Showcase] Re: Rough Edges (feat. PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Janice,Bud & Peter,

First (and second) impression; those are the best multi-part hamonies I`ve ever heard on this forum... no surprise, they`re all Janice!
Everything works (the band,Peter`s guitar, the mix) to serve the happy, rolling along a road together, song.
Very well done!

Robert

#552415 - 09/01/19 01:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: Rough Edges (feat. PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Online   content
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Always love your vox but guitar is holding its own as well. Pro sound as always, brings me back to my days of listening to Bonnie Raitt and Maria Muldaur (early 70s).

#552445 - 09/01/19 06:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: Rough Edges (feat. PeterF) [Re: Rob4580]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Rob4580
This a great fun mix and a real tor tapper.
Sounds like its been around forever.
Love the guitar work and the sneaky key change.
Rob4580

Thanks Rob!

J&B

#552512 - 09/02/19 08:34 AM [User Showcase] Re: Rough Edges (feat. PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Veteran

Loc: Finland
Lyrical images reminded me of movies like Thelma & Louise and Natural Born Killers. Definitely a soundtrack song for a road movie. Killer solo. Superb vocals and harmonies. First I listened on the headphones, but I was surprised that it sounded even better on the speakers.

Janne

Soundcloud
YouTube

#552650 - 09/02/19 09:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: Rough Edges (feat. PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

This is so much fun! Janice sounds so joyful and playful on the vocals and harmonies. Being a huge 60's oldies fan, I absolutely love the vintage vibe and arrangement. Great guitar too. I've enjoyed listening several times and played it for my husband - we both think this is a terrific collab y'all!

#552678 - 09/03/19 04:36 AM [User Showcase] Re: Rough Edges (feat. PeterF) [Re: floyd jane]
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
PB&J,

Cool opening. Let's you know more good stuff is comin'...

What could be better than Janice singing???... FIVE of 'em!!! Of course!
Great vocals (needless to say, say it anyway).

A big "live sounding" mix. Peter's guitar sounds good - nicely played. Nice punchy bass...

A good we-lived-it write.

Good music.

Well, what if...??

smile

fj

Thanks floyd. Couldn't agree more about the vocals.

Peter

#552742 - 09/03/19 02:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: Rough Edges (feat. PeterF) [Re: Ember - PG Music]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
I really enjoyed the lyrics, especially this part:

"in this wild ride there’re always more bridges to burn
let’s try a few more before we reach the point of no return "

Great job!

Thanks Ember! Appreciate you mentioning the lyric. Sometimes I wish we were that adventuresome : )but we have a LOT of fun.

J&B

#552895 - 09/04/19 03:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: Rough Edges (feat. PeterF) [Re: Tangmo]
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
One of my favorite things to do is to hang out with another couple who have a few miles on their tires, listening to stories. So this just filled me with smiles.

Fantastic backing, certainly including Peter's tasty licks and timing. Janice sounds great. The layering of back-ups is very entertaining and "lifting". Well arranged too, with that key change coming in at the right spot. I like this a lot.

Thanks we appreciate the comments.

Peter

#552974 - 09/05/19 04:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: Rough Edges (feat. PeterF) [Re: Leon1]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Leon1
Great work, all. Janice's multiple vocals take this to a whole other level.
Regards,
Leon

Thanks Leon!

J&B

#552991 - 09/05/19 06:32 AM [User Showcase] Re: Rough Edges (feat. PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: United Kingdom
musician17 Online   content
Expert

Loc: United Kingdom
Ok, wow. Just wow. No need for a lengthy analysis and/or critique - just HATS OFF to everyone involved. The vocals, in particular, are worthy of every superlative around. Superb job.

#553036 - 09/05/19 09:17 AM [User Showcase] Re: Rough Edges (feat. PeterF) [Re: rayc]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: rayc
Definitely a live "in the round" sound and feel of being in a band circle.
LOVELY all over, round, under.
Top shelf.

That is much appreciated Ray.

J&B

#553147 - 09/05/19 05:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: Rough Edges (feat. PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Denmark
Will Josef Offline
Expert

Loc: Denmark
Wonderful song as always, but it made me sad because it reminded me of something which happened 30 years ago.

in this wild ride there’re always more bridges to burn
We have no more bridges to burn, she said

let’s try a few more before we reach the point of no return
We have already reached that point, she said

no destination in mind head out you and me without a care
I have a destination in mind which I care for, she said

no directions needed cause any old road’ll get us there
Sorry, no old road will get us there, she said, but take care!

Thanks for sharing!
Will

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

PG Music News
The Guitar & Piano Chord Dictionary Programs

Happy National Dictionary Day!*

Head to our Other Windows Software page to find programs like PowerTracks, GuitarStar: Brent Mason Country, Video Guitar Lessons, and more!

Scroll down and you'll find our Guitar Chord Dictionary & Piano Chord Dictionary programs. Each Chord Dictionary allows you to choose a root note to select the chord you want to learn, and it will be displayed on-screen with either the piano keyboard or the guitar fretboard!

In the Guitar Chord Dictionary & Piano Chord Dictionary you can change the sounds within the Settings window, whether it be the Root note or the Chord, and it doesn't even have to be a guitar or piano! Looking through the options, there's various piano choices, guitar choices, organ, etc. - but you can also choose more unique sounds like the tuba, saxophone, trumpet, clarinet, and more!

*October 16th

Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonial by C. Dan Roberts

Our latest Video Testimonial comes from C. Dan Roberts, and his enthusiasm for Band-in-a-Box® is inspiring!

Watch the video...

Do you have a video testimonial that you would like to share? Contact us at marketing@pgmusic.com.

Visit C. Dan Roberts testimonial page here.

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

Today* is National Train Your Brain Day!

You can definitely do that with Band-in-a-Box®

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access.

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games (Pitch Invasion is my favorite!), access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu (like Trade 4s, woodshed tempo, etc.), and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Resources:
Windows Online Manual: Practice Window
Mac Online Manual: Tools, Wizards, Tutors, and Fun

*October 13

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Updates for Windows & Mac!

We've just released FREE Updates for both Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows & Mac program users!

With the latest update for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows, you can now choose the "Save Exact Chord Text" checkbox to the Save XML dialog, there are VST feature updates, Audio Chord Wizard enhancements, updated program messages, we've applied fixes to an assortment of user-reported issues, and the DAW Plugin 2.12.15 Update has been added too!

Review the complete list of updates for build 734 and download it here.

The newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac update also includes VST feature updates, as well as RealTracks & RealDrums Picker enhancements, smoother 'tabbing' between dialog windows, and additional fixes applied to an assortment of user-reported issues. If you missed adding the DAW Plugin 2.12.15 update from September, it will be added with this update too!

Review the complete list of updates for build 420 and download it here.

Video - How to Transpose a Region of a Band-in-a-Box® Song

Want to learn how to transpose just one chorus of your Band-in-a-Box® song?

Check out our latest video, shared to the I want a video that shows me how to... forum: https://youtu.be/XiMrgtQ7u14

Band-in-a-Box® - What People Are Saying...

Wow, check out the latest feedback from Band-in-a-Box® users!

"I have one song I've been torturing over to get the sound right for quite some time and I merely keyed in the chords and what BB generated is awesome. Just what I hoped that song would sound like. What had taken me months to get right (and couldn't), the program could do in about an hour - AMAZING!"

"Great Ear Training Exercises! And I love that that you can set the tempo to whatever you choose. It's great for learning a tune!"

"A very good and easy to use musical program!"

"It's amazingly easy to use! Write a song? No problem! Add background sound track to a video? No problem! Put notes on a staff and have BB make up a chord progression and tell what key you are in? No problem! Start with a chord progression and have BB make a melody line? No problem!"

"Still the best practice tool I have found, great for running lines, improvising over and really helpful for working on song writing ideas as well! Good for beginners, and the more musical skill and knowledge you have the more you will get out of the software."

"I create demo songs with Band-in-a-Box, it helps me to get my ideas across to my engineer!"

"Been using Band-in-a-Box for years. Outstanding product from a great company!"

"It's like buying a Musical History Jukebox. It comes with probably 3000 styles and is like hiring session musicians to play rhythm with you, they even have soloists! It introduces you to so many types of rhythms that you other wise would know nothing about. "

"Paul McCartney said you gotta have a great band behind you. Well, Band-in-a-Box is my band."

"It's as easy as typing in the chords, choosing your style, instruments, etc., and off you go! Learning the tune? You can slow it down while you work on it then speed it up. My favorite analogy is a good chess program, which will play at your speed and level and is eternally patient!"

"I love my Band in a box, it does so much! Besides all the RealTracks and song ideas, it's a great tool to stay sharp with your licks. Social distancing got you down? Can't jam with friends? Pick out any song and go to the mixer button, there you can mute any instrument that's playing so you can jump right in and play along!"

"I love it. I'm a drummer, and Band-in-a-Box really keeps me on my toes!"

"The DAW plugin is really great. Trust me on this. I use it with Studio One.

"This is how I've been able to gig solo for the past 20 years. Band-in-a-Box is the great equalizer for us none rhythm players."

"Wouldn't want to be without it! One of the best things I bought in my life. Simple as that."

"As a songwriter I really love to work with Band-in-a-Box. The only limitation is your own creativity."

"I've used Band-in-a-Box for 25 years and thanks to this program and the advice of PG Music staff I've written over 100 songs. It's great software and amazing help to me as a musician. CONGRATS!!!"

Thank you for all the amazing feedback!

Band-in-a-Box® - A Teaching Tool!

Did you know that we offer Band-in-a-Box® LabPAK and Site License purchase options for schools? This is an ideal option for any educational institution looking to add Band-in-a-Box® to their curriculum.

Learn more about the LabPAK purchase options here: Windows | Mac.

How would a teacher use Band-in-a-Box® in a school setting?

A few ideas:
-practice sight reading with the students by following the on-screen notation
-display the Guitar Fretboard or Big Piano Window to watch the notes being played
-Trading fours! (etc.)
-generate a song for accompaniment during practice sessions
-create a practice song and save it as an audio file to send home with the student for additional practice!

...and more!

Wondering how to add a Band-in-a-Box LabPAK to your school? Feel free to contact us directly with any questions you might have! Click here to send us an email.

Forum Stats
33049 Members
68 Forums
66565 Topics
566133 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
fasteddy, MJStone, RedFridge, Jared, Stan_fr

33049 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Janice & Bud 149
CaptainMoto 132