Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Oh yes, Floyd, I enjoyed it.

And am I all wrong assuming that there's a lot of autobiagraphy in the lyrics? But could we at all think of musicians without those bad habits (at least in their younger days)? Regretingt most of what they put into themselves more and more whith every year knocking on their door (except for Keith Richards, of course)?

I think lots of us can relate - or at least I can...: Giving up bad habits, but never giving up the habit of loving THE one...

And what could make lyrics more appealing than having the feeling the singer is talking about yourself? A really great write, Floyd, again a very good write.

And a brilliant song with a great flow, nice instrumentation, as always stunningly well-sung and who wouldn't want to be backed up by the QUEEN herself- Janice, you're great even when you're really in the background.

Very enjoyable song, just the amount of sentimentality and nostalgia I like.

Take care,

Stefan

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
What a joy to listen to!!! The immediate hook is the rhythm.....just says "Hey, Listen"! Lyrics are so comfortable....roll off the tongue sounding so spontaneously. This is a case where being really, really clever makes it sound like you're not trying to be clever.......a neat trick for the craftsman who can pull it off. Another subtlety is how the words are chosen so they play into the rhythmic hook......WOW!! Musical/lyrical slight of hand. Janice is perfect with the harmonies! This song is a writing lesson in a song! WONDERFUL!!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
FJ and crew
A+ collaboration! I like fresh modern Country rock feel of this.
Lyrics shine! Probably a bit improper, but I would name it "My drug of choice" smile
Production is top tier, as usual.

P.S. There was a band from my youth, they had a song.., one of the lines was: "some kind of drug is what you need.." Their song, as this, was also not about drugs smile

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
I won't get into the specifics of the lyrics but there are some killer rhymes and rhyme structures going on in this song.

I really wanted to hit into your pacing/cadence. You may have had this "feel" before; but I don't remember it exactly like this. There is a very modern flow to it. Specifically the verses. I like it a lot! It all comes down to the styles you picked, your choice of rhyme placement, how many syllables you are choosing to use, and even the range of notes you are using.

THEN you it us with a VERY contrasted chorus! Brilliant! Yes, I know people talk about raising the note range to give it a lift, and use a different rhythm than you used in the verse...but you did it a very modern way, yet traditional way. It spans and ties in the old great writing and yet has that current edge to it. The jump and rhythms in the chorus again where great, and bold choices. That's writing with confidence and knowledge! Ya just can't beat that!

All coming in at 3:25 indicating your tempos and song structure are right on as well.

IF I'm nit-picking I didn't care for the end. Meaning, I did not like that it did that. Ended. That was a wrong choice in my book. wink

What a nice review! I always love it when someone "gets me" smile smile smile ....

rsdean #552094 08/31/19 03:07 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Floyd,

This is an excellent country-pop song. I love the flow and swing of the music - you excel at this - it's a true talent.

Awesome vocal and some more great backing by Janice. Of course, the mix is stellar... smile

Loved it!

Bob

Thanks, Bob. We always appreciate your support... means a lot...

rsdean #552284 08/31/19 01:20 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Floyd,

This is an excellent country-pop song. I love the flow and swing of the music - you excel at this - it's a true talent.

Awesome vocal and some more great backing by Janice. Of course, the mix is stellar... smile

Loved it!

Bob

Thank you Bob!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi floyd and Janice,

Both of you NEVER EVER disappoint. It is always a joy to listen to the two of you sing.

floyd, I really like how you've arranged the rhyme scheme in the two-verse system -- aabbcddeec -- it's very, very effective. Also, when I first heard 'enjoyed' and 'avoid' that grabbed my attention. It's a great rhyme and I cannot remember hearing it anything before.

I won't talk too long today because there are many songs that I'm behind on listening to and I need to catch up.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rob4580

Only an ex-smoker could write lyrics such as this.
As always Floyd you give us your finest.
Thanks for sharing. Rob4580

Thanks for having a listen, Rob...

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
Quitting bad habits of any kind can be hard. Thanks for sharing this with us!

Thanks for stopping in, Ember...

rayc #552497 09/02/19 03:42 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
As HearToLearn, clever rhymes and killer rhyme schemes.

Love the funky beat - the band's in excellent form. Nice licks you've chosen.

Great setup in the first two verses. So much narrative packed into so few words! Interestingly, verse three feels like a bridge.

Production is impeccable as always - clean and clear. Your singing is easygoing and expressive - that country wail on the high notes works so well, and Janice is on the lower harmony like a soft velvet pillow.

Can you tell I enjoyed it? wink

Yes! I can... thanks for the nice review, David. I always enjoy reading your observations on the song posted in the Showcase... (and your music!).

Originally Posted By: rayc
Like the best of bought ones!
The structure, rhyming scheme & metre are excellent yet despite the "structure" it flows like conversation - very cool.

Appreciate that, ray...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nicely swinging rhythm with good selection of instruments and great mix. Catchy chorus, works especially well with the Janettes smile Enjoyable quitting analogy.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Another song from paradise. Sounded good with well written lyrics, arrangement, production and performance. I'll have to go back for a few more listens before I can fully absorb it all. The local weather channel was giving the latest update on TV as I listened to the song and distracted me as I tried to figure out what it cost you Floridians to turn Dorian away from the Florida coastline and take a trajectory straight to where I'm in the most likely crosshairs of landfall. wink

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Leon1 #552675 09/03/19 01:20 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Another winner, Floyd (and Janis).
(I kicked the smokes thirty years ago, by the way. A struggle at the time, but so glad I did.)
Regards,
Leon

Leon - Glad you stopped by... (and stopped that habit smile )...great to be free...

dcuny #552728 09/03/19 07:20 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
As HearToLearn, clever rhymes and killer rhyme schemes.

Love the funky beat - the band's in excellent form. Nice licks you've chosen.

Great setup in the first two verses. So much narrative packed into so few words! Interestingly, verse three feels like a bridge.

Production is impeccable as always - clean and clear. Your singing is easygoing and expressive - that country wail on the high notes works so well, and Janice is on the lower harmony like a soft velvet pillow.

Can you tell I enjoyed it? wink

Thank you David!

Janice

Tangmo #552899 09/04/19 12:17 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Three months since you bought smokes...but only 3 minutes since you bummed another one off a me. smile And we all know you invented "Jake's" just for the rhyme...but that's ok if you quit drinking.

Man, this just pops along. Great chair-dancing tune. I love the theme and the delivery, vocals and harmonies. Another great one.

Tangmo... I do appreciate that nice review. Re: Jake's - it was not invented for the rhyme - rather for the obvious sense of being the name of a bar. The rhyme actually came later, so was secondary... A toast to you!! Thanks.

Tangmo #552976 09/05/19 01:24 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Another winner, Floyd (and Janis).
(I kicked the smokes thirty years ago, by the way. A struggle at the time, but so glad I did.)
Regards,
Leon

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Three months since you bought smokes...but only 3 minutes since you bummed another one off a me. smile And we all know you invented "Jake's" just for the rhyme...but that's ok if you quit drinking.

Man, this just pops along. Great chair-dancing tune. I love the theme and the delivery, vocals and harmonies. Another great one.

Thanks Y’all!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
When I first saw the title I thought you were going to do a Led Zeppelin cover eek

Love the way you write, I'm hopeless at it myself but can recognize the ability in others.

Favorite line among many:

"you give my angels wings and my devils voice"

Vocals of course are right in the pocket, and always enjoy hearing the janettes make an appearance.

Nice groove, drums sound great, and mix is top notch.

Sounds modern and old school at the same time, well done!

Dave - I'll be doing Zeppelin covers later in my musical life. smile
Thanks for the note on the write.
The jannetes appreciate the mention, I'm sure...
And, thanks for the comments on the mix and the sound... always good to get such comments from someone who's mixes always sparkle...

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Really nicely done - I'm a big fan of the lyrics and your vocals on this one. It's really gentle and catchy. And even though I've never smoked cigarettes, the subject matter relates to us all in one way or another. I thought the mix on this was top notch as well.

Thanks for sharing smile

Deryk - thanks for those nice comments on this one...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Floyd,
Your lyrics here are so well crafted- just clever enough to grab interest without taking away the feeling that the experience is true.
A fine,relaxed sounding acoustic backing and that electric break fits beautifully.
The best part for me:your warm vocals - absolutely clear with great phrasing.

Robert

Robert...thanks for that very nice review

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Another pearl,FJ! Great lyrics, singing, and music. This song has so many hooks that you've exceeded the creel limit.

Always fishin' for a few more ear worms... smile Thanks for the nice comments, Ez..

Originally Posted By: PeterF
floyd

Some clever intelligent lyrics, set to a beautifully mixed band.

Your vocals and of course the Janettes sound great.

An excellent piece of songwriting wonderfully presented.

Peter

Thanks, Peter!! Always great to have those janettes along for the ride...

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Floyd ...

I don't get here very often these days ... same reason as always. But, man, I'm so happy I got her to hear this one. There are so many things to like simply as a listener, yet so many intricate nuances from a musician's POV. So often, you have to sacrifice one, to a certain degree, to accomplish the other. There are no sacrifices on this one .. it's spot on from both POVs.

The B/G tracks are so fresh, yet the lyric and vocal delivery classic. The mix on your songs is almost never less than stellar. This song is a terrific example of why I say that. I particularly enjoyed the drum track. I think that's what defines the modern aspect. The first two verses are a great preamble to the killer chorus.

Those Janettes were in rare form! What a delight!

Wishing all involved the very best. Ya'll created one helluva song here and delivered with the same expertise and craftiness. You make it sound so easy! Excellent ...

Alan

Alan - thanks for that wonderful review!! Hope y'all are doing well...

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool lyric Floyd. Super vocal. What a neat backtrack. Loved the beat. Guitar was excellent. Well done

Appreciate it, Scott....

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Oh yes, Floyd, I enjoyed it.

And am I all wrong assuming that there's a lot of autobiagraphy in the lyrics? But could we at all think of musicians without those bad habits (at least in their younger days)? Regretingt most of what they put into themselves more and more whith every year knocking on their door (except for Keith Richards, of course)?

I think lots of us can relate - or at least I can...: Giving up bad habits, but never giving up the habit of loving THE one...

And what could make lyrics more appealing than having the feeling the singer is talking about yourself? A really great write, Floyd, again a very good write.

And a brilliant song with a great flow, nice instrumentation, as always stunningly well-sung and who wouldn't want to be backed up by the QUEEN herself- Janice, you're great even when you're really in the background.

Very enjoyable song, just the amount of sentimentality and nostalgia I like.

Take care,

Stefan

Stefan - thanks for that nice review. We'll let the "how much is autobiographical" remain a mystery... better that way... Yes, it is ALWAYS nice to have Janice backing me up on these...

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
What a joy to listen to!!! The immediate hook is the rhythm.....just says "Hey, Listen"! Lyrics are so comfortable....roll off the tongue sounding so spontaneously. This is a case where being really, really clever makes it sound like you're not trying to be clever.......a neat trick for the craftsman who can pull it off. Another subtlety is how the words are chosen so they play into the rhythmic hook......WOW!! Musical/lyrical slight of hand. Janice is perfect with the harmonies! This song is a writing lesson in a song! WONDERFUL!!! Take care. Greg

Greg - it is always nice when a writer I respect finds the writing a "lesson"... means a lot to me.... THANKS!!!!

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Well crafted with great production. Enjoyed the harmonies with Janice. If you are the one smoking a pack a day, it doesn't show in your vocal:-)

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,456
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195