You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#551687 - 08/28/19 03:08 PM [Off-Topic] Hurricane Dorian
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

It’s five days out and a lot can change but current models indicate Dorian coming ashore in Florida.

We have family and friends in Florida and the PG Music forum community has Floridian members. We wish everybody the best and hope Mother Nature shoves it north into the Atlantic!

J&B

#551751 - 08/29/19 02:31 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Hurricane Dorian [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Eilat, Israel
DeaconBlues09 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Eilat, Israel
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
It’s five days out and a lot can change but current models indicate Dorian coming ashore in Florida.

J&B

Hope everything goes well for them. I hear some folks are still recovering from Hurricane Ionian, and others are already prepping for Hurricane Phrygian! grin
Band-in-a-Box 2019 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

#551759 - 08/29/19 03:28 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Hurricane Dorian [Re: DeaconBlues09]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: DeaconBlues09
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

J&B

Hope everything goes well for them. I hear some folks are still recovering from Hurricane Ionian, and others are already prepping for Hurricane Phrygian! grin

Why is the approaching hurricane not a major storm? Because it's Dorian eek

Seriously, hopefully everyone down that way will be safe.

#551766 - 08/29/19 04:18 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Hurricane Dorian [Re: Janice & Bud]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

At least Puerto Rico was not hit. It was only two years ago that Hurricane Maria took 3000 lives there.

#551788 - 08/29/19 09:08 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Hurricane Dorian [Re: DeaconBlues09]
Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
sslechta Offline
Veteran

I hear some folks are still recovering from Hurricane Ionian, and others are already prepping for Hurricane Phrygian!

Oh, the cheese is thick with this one..... LOL Pie a-la mode anyone?

Steve

BIAB/RB 2020, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, Proteus F/X, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory

#551790 - 08/29/19 10:26 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Hurricane Dorian [Re: sslechta]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: sslechta
I hear some folks are still recovering from Hurricane Ionian, and others are already prepping for Hurricane Phrygian!

Oh, the cheese is thick with this one..... LOL Pie a-la mode anyone?

Maybe, at the least, a shoutout to those in the path?

J&B

#551799 - 08/29/19 11:34 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Hurricane Dorian [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Wauconda, Il.
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Loc: Wauconda, Il.
I happen to currently be working in one of the possible bullseye sites, Fort Lauderdale, Fl. Hoping to get a plane out tomorrow but airports are already starting their cancellation policies.

Even if I get our of town on Friday, I have to be back on Tuesday, so unless I take advantage of the no-fee flight cancellations and stay in Town to ride our the storm I expect a lot of air port time in the next days.

So being a Northerner and never having to ride out a hurricane.... how bad can it be? I can ask the hotel for a higher floor...

Other than that, I don't see a problem with inserting a bit of musical humor in what may or may not be some dire time ahead.

SoundCloud

#551801 - 08/29/19 11:51 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Hurricane Dorian [Re: Janice & Bud]
sslechta Offline
Veteran

Thanks Dan! Both my wife and I have relatives in Florida as well. We are very concerned about EVERYONE's safety that lives there. I was just trying to add to the fun of what the others have been saying.

Good luck in riding out the storm if you have to.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2020, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, Proteus F/X, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory

#551806 - 08/29/19 01:01 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Hurricane Dorian [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Midwest
HearToLearn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Midwest
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

Why is the approaching hurricane not a major storm? Because it's Dorian eek

Man, I didn't get this right away. Once I did; it was funny. It just took me a 2nd.

Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone. Stay safe.
As people have left the "." out so many times, "Caaron" has become the norm of it. Still said as the "." was there though. smile

#551815 - 08/29/19 02:49 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Hurricane Dorian [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
I hope that the hurricane passes without harm.

My thoughts are with all who are currently fearful about being in the hurricane's path.

#551817 - 08/29/19 02:55 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Hurricane Dorian [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Looks like I'm at ground zero. Unless it changes its "mind".

I've ridden out almost every storm since Donna in 1960 and plan to ride out another.

I got gas for the generator today, killed the wasps under the storm awnings so I can drop them without getting stung, and got dry food.

Tomorrow pick up loose things in the yard, make sure the drains are clear plus clean out the glass drinking water storage jugs and fill a big trash can with water to flush the toilet. We have a well, so we can't use it unless the generator is running, and we will only run the generator enough to keep the food in the fridge cold.

Charging rechargeable batteries, got the crank generator emergency radio up, and the cars have a full tank of gas.

We'll probably lose power. Since I'm in a sparsely populated area we'll probably get restored last. FPL will go for the greatest numbers first (and they should) so we'll have to wait.

Hurricanes are a major PITA frown but there's nothing we can do except prepare.

Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

#551834 - 08/29/19 05:49 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Hurricane Dorian [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

I have about 6 friends in Florida I talk to daily that I'm pretty concerned about for when this hits. I hope everyone who is in the area stays safe!

#551861 - 08/29/19 11:53 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Hurricane Dorian [Re: Janice & Bud]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Wow, the latest forecasts are some really scary stuff. Hope and pray everyone in the path gets through it okay.

#552008 - 08/30/19 05:14 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Hurricane Dorian [Re: Sundance]
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Originally Posted By: Sundance
Wow, the latest forecasts are some really scary stuff. Hope and pray everyone in the path gets through it okay.
It definitely is scary, but a lot of my friends from Florida seem mostly unfussed even though they're right near Orlando. Right now it looks like it's moving further and further south. I'm sure Floridians know how to prepare for such events and I'm sure they'll do all they can to keep safe.

#552009 - 08/30/19 05:16 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Hurricane Dorian [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Scottish Highlands
furry Offline
Veteran

Loc: Scottish Highlands
Hope all my good friends stay safe and unharmed

#552117 - 08/31/19 08:11 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Hurricane Dorian [Re: Janice & Bud]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Looks like Dorian is going to turn and miss us. That means I've done all this prep work for nothing. Hooray!!!!!!!!!

The big problems here in Florida are (in no particular order)
  • In the late 1960s and 1970s, bending to the demands and bribes from developers, the building codes all over the state were watered down allowing such things as 2x4 frame houses, shingle roofs, and so on. The houses were not built to stand up to a category 4 hurricane. The big bad wolf will blow a lot of them down. Then they enticed a lot of northerners who didn't know better to buy them.
  • They also built on reclaimed swamp land, which means as soon as we get a lot of rain, the houses are flooded - and the water damage in a hurricane is worse than wind damage.

If you are high and dry (not on reclaimed Everglades), have a well built house, with proper storm awnings or shutters, and you don't do something stupid, the probability of severe injury or death are almost zero, much less than on the road trying to evacuate.

You need to prepare in advance, before the crowds hit the stores. We get plenty of advance warning most of the time. Remember, the storm lasts a few hours, the electricity can be out for as much as 2 weeks
  • Store lots tap water in the glass bottles you have put aside for this years ago and will keep after the storm is over.
  • Buy food that doesn't need refrigeration
  • If you have a charcoal or gas grill make sure you have fuel, if not make sure the food you buy in the step above doesn't need cooking.
  • Fill trash bins with water for flushing the toilet and washing (some people fill bath tubs).
  • Charge batteries or make sure you have disposables for the lanterns and emergency radio that you should have bought when you moved into your house - if you don't have them, get them ASAP even if you have to wait until after the storm.
  • Check your generator and get a lot of gas - if you don't need it you can put it in your car when the storm is over
  • If your house doesn't have storm panels and/or shutters, get that plywood early - and when the storm is over, invest in storm panels and shutters. It's cheap insurance for your safety.
  • Clear your yard of anything that a giant wind can make airborne. A stick can go through a tree or a window
  • If you need medicine, make sure you have at least 2 weeks supply

I've always lived on the "Eastern Sand Ridge" from 20' to 30' above sea level. I've been through almost every hurricane since Donna in 1960 (I was on the road in a rock band for one). The two worst things I experienced was (1) water blowing under a door - mops and towels fixed it (2) I jumped out of my chair when a huge limb of a mango tree broke off and hit the storm awning behind the chair I was sitting on.

That doesn't guarantee I'll make it through the next one, but the odds are better then being on the highway evacuating.

So there is some advice for folks in the path for 'next time'.

And for those where it may still hit, please be safe and follow the guidelines, go to a shelter if needed, or get out of town before the storm is 2 days away.

Bob

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove

#552128 - 08/31/19 09:21 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Hurricane Dorian [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Rio Grande Valley, Texas
silvertones Offline
Veteran

Loc: Rio Grande Valley, Texas
Stay safe. Don't take chances. I was a Building Inspector for Indian River County in 2004. I've seen what can happen. Those storms were cat3. This one predicted to be a cat4.
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php

#552255 - 08/31/19 02:58 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Hurricane Dorian [Re: silvertones]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: silvertones
Stay safe. Don't take chances. I was a Building Inspector for Indian River County in 2004. I've seen what can happen. Those storms were cat3. This one predicted to be a cat4.

When I was a kid in Pompano Beach, the majority of the homes up here would have not been built.

The norm for construction at the timeswas CBS homes with white, slate or other heavy tile roof, tar and gravel roof, or Bermuda roof.

So it's important to know the limitations of your house. If I were in a 2x4 frame house (and I would never buy one), I'd seek better shelter.

Notes

#552262 - 08/31/19 03:09 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Hurricane Dorian [Re: Janice & Bud]
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Luckily it sounds like right now based on current conditions that Dorian might actually completely turn away. Fingers crossed!

#552349 - 09/01/19 05:26 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Hurricane Dorian [Re: Janice & Bud]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

I feel for the folks in the Bahamas.

We're still not completely safe here in Florida. I've seen one pass us, loop around clockwise then come back and hit us.

For all my friends in Florida, don't take the shutters down yet, don't dump the water you are saving, don't let your guard down, and keep your eye on the NOAA hurricane site and/or your favorite weather page.

We're under a tropical storm warning here (39mph to 73mph) so keep your guard up.

Insights and incites by Notes

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
LAST DAY TO SAVE UP TO 50%!

It's HERE! The FINAL day of our Band-in-a-Box 2021 Windows special, which also includes additional savings on Xtra Styles PAKs and MultiStyles PAK 1!

Save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for for Windows Upgrade by 11:59pm PST TODAY! (January 15th) Plus, we'll include a Bonus PAK loaded with some amazing Add-ons! Add even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) when you upgrade your Free Bonus PAK to the 2021 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows.

Our Xtra Styles PAKs and MultiStyles PAK 1 sale is ending too... Xtra Styles PAK 10, and ALL our Xtra Styles PAKs, are on sale for $29 (reg. $49) each! Haven't purchased Xtra Styles yet, but now you want them all? The COMPLETE collection of Xtra Styles PAKs 1-10 with over 1,600 RealStyles can be yours for only $199 (reg. $349)! There's also an option to purchase the newest Xtra Styles PAKs 9 & 10 for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for a bundle price of $49, if you missed out on our previous special!

Purchase the brand-new MultiStyles PAK 1 for only $19 (reg. $29)! Learn more about MultiStyles...

Mac user? Xtra Styles PAKs & MultiStyles PAKs are on sale for you too! Click here for your OS specific announcement.

TWO DAYS LEFT TO SAVE UP TO 50%!

Wow, it's already January 14th! That means there's just two days left of our Band-in-a-Box 2021 Windows special, which also includes additional savings on Xtra Styles PAKs and MultiStyles PAK 1!

Save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for for Windows Upgrade by 11:59pm PST on Friday, January 15th! Plus, we'll include a Bonus PAK loaded with some amazing Add-ons! Add even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) when you upgrade your Free Bonus PAK to the 2021 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows.

Our Xtra Styles PAKs and MultiStyles PAK 1 sale is ending too... Xtra Styles PAK 10, and ALL our Xtra Styles PAKs, are on sale for $29 (reg. $49) each! Haven't purchased Xtra Styles yet, but now you want them all? The COMPLETE collection of Xtra Styles PAKs 1-10 with over 1,600 RealStyles can be yours for only $199 (reg. $349)! There's also an option to purchase the newest Xtra Styles PAKs 9 & 10 for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for a bundle price of $49, if you missed out on our previous special!

Purchase the brand-new MultiStyles PAK 1 for only $19 (reg. $29)! Learn more about MultiStyles...

Mac user? Xtra Styles PAKs & MultiStyles PAKs are on sale for you too! Click here for your OS specific announcement.

The Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows® Special ENDS on Friday!

THE COUNTDOWN IS ON TO SAVE UP TO 50% ON YOUR BAND-IN-A-BOX® UPGRADE - OUR SPECIAL ENDS FRIDAY!

There is still a little time left to save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for for Windows Upgrade by 11:59pm PDF on Friday, January 15th!

Customers LOVE Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows with over 50 new features, plus the 202 RealTracks, new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Bonus RealDrums "Singles," RealDrums transcriptions, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10, the 2021 Free Bonus PAK, and 2021 49-PAK!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2021 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2021 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

RealBand 2021 Includes 64-bit PG DX Plugins Presets!

Download the latest update for RealBand 2021 to addpresets for 64-bit PG DX plugins!

Release notes (build 3c, Jan 7 2021):
-Fixed: Running 32-bit realband.exe (Version 2020) is now supported.
-Added: Presets for 64-bit PG DX plugins.

The Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows® Special ENDS January 15th!

IT'S YOUR LAST WEEKEND TO SAVE UP TO 50% ON YOUR BAND-IN-A-BOX® UPGRADE!

We've extended our SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Upgrade purchases until January 15, 2021, so there is still a little time left to save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Upgrade!

Customers LOVE Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows with over 50 new features, plus the 202 RealTracks, new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Bonus RealDrums "Singles," RealDrums transcriptions, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10, the 2021 Free Bonus PAK, and 2021 49-PAK!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2021 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2021 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Xtra Styles PAK 10 & MultiStyles PAK 1 - Special Extended to January 15th!

NEW Add-ons for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 - and we've extended our Xtra Styles PAK and MultiStyles PAK Special until January 15th!

Xtra Styles PAK 10 with 50 styles each for Country, Jazz, Rock-Pop, and Folk Celebration! These carefully crafted RealStyles include lo-fi acoustic guitar hip hop, triple-guitar garage rock, a barbeque boom-chick jam, slidin' lazy country blues, bolero and bossa nova fusion, a Gypsy and stride ballad, praise break organ jazz fusion, surfin' folk rock, barn dance old-time stomp 'n' clap, an acoustic folky blues jam, and so much more!

Introducing MultiStyles PAK 1! 30 MultiStyles containing 120 styles - that's a total of 150 Styles! We've included 10 MultiStyles each for Country, Jazz, and Rock-Pop. Our jazz greats MultiStyle allows you to switch between piano and guitar comping, or select from two different solos. Our Jamaican groove selecta allows you to switch from ska at one section to reggae, island groove, or reggae with sax solo at another. A Tex-Mex country MultiStyle allows you to switch between a regular-time and double-time feel. And that's just the beginning. There's so much more in store! Once you dive into these professionally-mixed MultiStyles, you'll wonder how you ever made due with only two substyles per song! Use one substyle for a softer intro, another one for a restrained breakdown, then throw in a different and energetic middle-eight, or change it up with a solo. The possibilities are endless!

And they're ON SALE until January 15th!

Xtra Styles PAK 10, and ALL our Xtra Styles PAKs, are on sale for $29 (reg. $49) each! Haven't purchased Xtra Styles yet, but now you want them all? The COMPLETE collection of Xtra Styles PAKs 1-10 with over 1,600 RealStyles can be yours for only $199 (reg. $349)! There's also an option to purchase the newest Xtra Styles PAKs 9 & 10 for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for a bundle price of $49, if you missed out on our previous special! www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=mac

Purchase MultiStyles PAK 1 for only $19 (reg. $29)!

Windows user? Click here for your OS specific product announcement.

Update Your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Today!

We've updated our Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Windows version to address a few user-reported program issues and requests. Band-in-a-Box® 2021 users can update for free here.

Have you been using your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows purchase and not applied any patch updates yet? Make sure you download the latest free patch update to access some great Bonus "Half-time" and "Double-time" RealStyles!

Total of new styles is:
-111 new RealStyles
-80 new RealTracks variations.
-27 new RealDrums variations.

This includes:
-variations of existing 16th-based bluegrass.
-variations of existing celtic and train beat styles.
-new styles with both 8th-based and 16th variations.
-16th-based samba variations.

Forum Stats
33673 Members
67 Forums
67598 Topics
578490 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
towako, MightyMike, ized, sopisue, Justmc

33672 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 316