You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#552377 - 09/01/19 09:23 AM [RealBand] recording subgroup mixer moves
Loc: UK
Bob Calver Offline
Expert

before i try it and come unstuck did i see previous posts saying its impossible to record subgroup mixer moves?

is that true? if not how do i do it?

and if i can't how do i get a final mix that i can export? I want the backing as subgroup so i can fade up and down when the vocals come in. i've got the backing balanced as i like and one fader moving up and down is the ideal way to get a final mix

#552409 - 09/01/19 12:41 PM [RealBand] Re: recording subgroup mixer moves [Re: Bob Calver]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

I opened an audio file and opened the mixer window and moved the faders all across the mixer with the Record Mixer Moves activated. The channel faders, All faders were recorded and saved and the sub faders (A1) was not.

I opened Audacity and recorded the audio as it played and used the RB Mixer Page to adjust all faders and knobs and by doing the Mixdown live, everything recorded fine.

#552470 - 09/02/19 01:31 AM [RealBand] Re: recording subgroup mixer moves [Re: Bob Calver]
Bob Calver Offline
Expert

not sure we're talking about the same thing. when i have a RealBand file I can assign several tracks to a subgroup - usually the fader on the right gets named g1 which means i can rasie or lower the volume of all the tracks with one fader.

its g1 i want to record the moves on and i think i've seen a post that says you can't record subgroup fader moves. A1 is the main output so I wouldn't change that anyway

#552471 - 09/02/19 01:40 AM [RealBand] Re: recording subgroup mixer moves [Re: Bob Calver]
Bob Calver Offline
Expert

did a forum search and the last posts on this were 2016 and 2018 when automating subgroup moves was not possible - has the 2019 version added this feature?

but if i can't automate it how can i produce a final mix that has subgroup moves without manually moving the faders?

#552478 - 09/02/19 04:14 AM [RealBand] Re: recording subgroup mixer moves [Re: Bob Calver]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

We are talking about the same thing. I used (A1) to confirm my thought the subgroup section is not automated. I did it that way to avoid the creation of an actual subgroup. A1 and G1 should react to automation the same to my best recollection. I had recalled like you, the subgroups are not automated.

You have to go old school (analog) and export the final mix audio and physically mix the subgroups live during the export.

Edited by Charlie Fogle (09/02/19 04:24 AM)

#552490 - 09/02/19 05:58 AM [RealBand] Re: recording subgroup mixer moves [Re: Bob Calver]
Loc: Cornwall UK
Mike Head Offline
Expert

Loc: Cornwall UK
Hi Bob

Do I understand that you want to record the group slider movements so that they automate the mixer on playback ,
Not certain if this can be done, you can of course use automation nodes on each track.

However you can take a snapshot of your final mix after you have set it by hand using the group fader this will set your mix to this setting at the current cursor position.

Here is an extract from a previous post of mine:
This is mainly concerned with saving as midi files
Hi All

Well at last I have cracked it:::
I found the insert button at the bottom of the mixer.
This inserts a snapshot of the mixer settings pan vol etc into the events list at the current cursor track time position.
So be careful to rewind to the start if you are setting your overall starting mix.
After that you can insert new snapshots for other parts of the song later in time.

I can see why it was done this way to prevent you inserting volume changes made while playing by saving and forgetting to rewind the file to start.

Even so a warning would have been nice to say mixer values not saved as midi events unless you take a snapshot..
Hope this helps someone in the future

Mike

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/

#552509 - 09/02/19 08:14 AM [RealBand] Re: recording subgroup mixer moves [Re: Mike Head]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

I think the snapshot feature works best if there's points in a song with pauses or defined shifts. If I recall, snapshots work nearly the same as scenes in the Tascam 2488 MKII neo I use to have and also somewhat similar to the Scenes, Cue, Snippet feature of the Behringer X32 digital mixer.

If that is the case, there's a short detectable delay that is noticeable if there is no pause or delay that is good to trigger the setup change. If I recall correctly, it's not a smooth transitional change for faders and panning. When I had the Tascam Neo, scenes worked well for muting and changing mics and instruments in the mix, adding effects and that type of change but was not particularly good with panning and fader moves.

It's certainly worth trying. It will either work or it won't.

Edited by Charlie Fogle (09/02/19 08:16 AM)

#552749 - 09/03/19 03:44 PM [RealBand] Re: recording subgroup mixer moves [Re: Bob Calver]
Loc: Mi., USA
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mi., USA
My workaround (though I wish this feature would be added).

I select the tracks I want to affect. (highlight them)
Then use edit to enter the data so I can paste to all the individual tracks I need these changes applied to.

It isn't elegant by any means, but you CAN make manual edits to a group of tracks this way. You have to select them and hard write them though. So I suggest a Save As approach to keep the original in tact.

It sure would be nice if we could automate this via the G1-8 Subgroups or the A1-8 audio out section, depending on your settings ..
(I want both!)
/be careful not to overwrite other track data on those tracks when pasting .. best to make a copy of the song and work with that before trying the above.

Edited by rharv (09/04/19 04:19 PM)

PG Music News
Accessing Your Band-in-a-Box® Order Online

If you've ordered Band-in-a-Box® on our website, you can access your download links (even if you selected a shipping option) from your Account | My Products page.

Band-in-a-Box® users who purchased their copy elsewhere can also add their purchase to their Account | My Products page. This is a convenient way to register your purchase and access the installation files if you ever need them for future re-installation reasons. To do this, visit www.pgmusic.com/redeem and create your account, then click on My Products and enter your 24-digit Band-in-a-Box® serial number.

Learning with Band-in-a-Box® - Chords & Games

Want to hear what a chord sounds like? Type the chord, then press SHIFT enter. The chord will play as it is entered on to the chord sheet!

You can also familiarize yourself with how different chords sound using the Chord Builder feature of the program, which will audition different chords for you, based on your input.

Want more? Challenge yourself with some ear training with the included Pitch Invasion and Music Replay programs, accessible in the Practice Window!

Pitch Invasion helps to develop perfect pitch as you shoot down "alien" notes invading from above, and Music Replay develops your pitch, rhythm, and melody recognition by replaying what the program plays, in note, rhythm, or melodic modes.

Pitch Invasion & Music Replay can also be accessed within the bb\Songs and Lessons\Ear Training folder for the program.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Russian for Windows is Here!

Мы хорошо потрудились и добавили в "Band-in-a-Box®" 50 новых функций и изумительную коллекцию нового контента, включая 202 новых стиля RealTracks (что в два раза больше 101 стиля, которые мы часто выпускали в прошлом), новые стили RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, инструментальные этюды (Instrumental Studies), транскрипции для стилей RealDrums и др.!

КУПИТЬ/ОБНОВИТЬ И ЗАГРУЗИТЬ!

Listen to the Band-in-a-Box® User Showcase Radio Today!

You may know about our User Showcase Forum, but have you heard about our Band-in-a-Box® User Showcase Radio?

What a great way to listen to all of the Band-in-a-Box® creations from program users just-like-you! It's as easy as choosing a playlist and pressing play!

Click here to access our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, and don't forget to bookmark your new favorite page!

Review - Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows

Make sure to check out the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows review from Sound-Guy (Dennis) at www.gearslutz.com: click here.

Sound-Guy has been using Band-in-a-Box® for many, many, many, many, many years - and we still managed to surprise him with some great new features! Read his latest review to learn more about his favorite additions for 2020!

"Band-in-a-Box continues to evolve as an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to produce not only new compositions and arrangements, but also perform them with excellent musical “talent”. It also provides educational and training tools for keyboardists and guitarists. It’s easy to use the basic functions, and challenging enough to keep you occupied for years. BIAB provides education, inspiration, a “live” band to aid in practicing, and anything from backing tracks to full performances for recording."
-Sound-Guy, www.gearslutz.com

How I Use Band-in-a-Box® to Create Shots/Chops

Band-in-a-Box® user Henry Clarke creates a lot of great songs with Band-in-a-Box®, and he's shared his steps for creating the shots/chops within his recent song Lonely in a Crowd.

To watch Henry's video, click here.

Have your own program tip to share? Feel free to post it to our Tips & Tricks forum.

#TipTuesday

Uncommon RealTracks Instruments for Band-in-a-Box®

Today is Uncommon Instrument Awareness Day.

Examples of "uncommon instruments" include anything from Spoons to the Wheelharp to the Singing Ringing Tree, and more!
(there's probably more instruments out there that we DON'T know than we DO know)

Although our RealTracks collection doesn't include many 'uncommon instruments', we do offer some pretty unique choices!

On top of the usual varieties we offer for Piano, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Clarinet, Bass, Tuba, Trumpet, Trombone, and more - our RealTracks library also offers a nice selection of Shakuhachi and Kalimba - there's even a Koto RealTrack included in Set 212!

Kalimba: RealTracks Set 271
Koto: RealTracks Set 212
Shakuhachi: RealTracks Sets 193 & 212

What's the most surprising RealTrack Instrument that you've come across?

Forum Stats
32644 Members
68 Forums
65619 Topics
556392 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
jazzguitar2020, thietkenoithat, Swivel Rocker, Igael79, CarlosCon

32644 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 144
VideoTrack 124