Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh
I
Expert
Expert
I
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran
Originally Posted By: Roger Brown
I'm as anxious as anyone for the '19 version on Mac, but I'd rather endure the wait than get a buggy release. I'm running the beta of the new Mac OS on my other computer, and it's been unusually glitchy - and I've been in the beta program for a number of years. I can't recall a prior release that caused as many conflicts and odd quirks as this one.
I normally have an iMac set aside for the Developer Beta which I install on day 1.

This year I bought an iMac Pro. While I could install the 10.15 beta on one of my external Thunderbolt drives, I just didn't see the point. Like 10.8.2 and 10.4 before it, I knew this was a watershed release — except I don't have any active development going on. I decided to let the rest of the world work this one out; I'll upgrade after the official release.

Quote:
Unrelated to BIAB, but I'm running the new iOs beta on my phone as well, and it's a train wreck so far. First time I've ever regretted upgrading early.
Yea... never on my iPhone. Now that I gig on my iPad, I decided to pass on the iOS 13 beta completely. Pointless to install it on my Touch 6.

I'm still on high sierra because I am scared of my plugins and hardware not being able to work on my Mac.

Computer: Macbook Pro, 16 inch 2021
DAWs: Pro Tools, Logic, and Maschine
plays drums, percussion, bass, steel pan, keyboard,
music producer/engineer
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Still no beta, I suppose they need to get it working on Catalina as it's 64 bit only.
I think what will come common place is multiboot OS as not everyone can get a 64 bit replacement app for what 32 bit ones they have.
I don't know if there's any extra bays in the newer iMacs to add hard drives and how easy they are to get to, I know the iMac I had, to change the hard drive I had to take the whole thing apart and LCD out to put a bigger drive in it (or change the cpu or clean the cpu fan).
You can partition the drive but separate drives would be better, if you have usb 3.0 you could boot on externals.

Pipeline #548942 08/11/19 12:14 PM
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
Still no beta, I suppose they need to get it working on Catalina as it's 64 bit only.
I think what will come common place is multiboot OS as not everyone can get a 64 bit replacement app for what 32 bit ones they have.

That bit of wishful thinking is never going to happen. Apple announced in 2011 that they were moving to 64 bit only—it just took longer than their original prediction of 2015.
I don't know if there's any extra bays in the newer iMacs to add hard drives and how easy they are to get to,

The Keynote was pretty clear on this. PCIe based additional drives won't be cheap but they'll be easy on the new Mac Pro—take a few minutes. There are reasons to stick with external storage as I will explain.
I know the iMac I had, to change the hard drive I had to take the whole thing apart and LCD out to put a bigger drive in it (or change the cpu or clean the cpu fan).
You can partition the drive but separate drives would be better, if you have usb 3.0 you could boot on externals.
So... you don't actually have a Mac anymore?

A lot has gone on with the Mac OS over the last 3 years.

Since High Sierra, do not partition a boot drive for multiple OS. Do not install multiple OS on separate drives if mounted internally. It's a really bad idea. If you've already done this, you should undo it.

Quite ok to install other OS on removable external drives. If, however, you normally boot from an external drive, do not have any OS on the internal drive.

Since OS 10.13 and APFS, the only way to get to the Repair Partition is to boot with the Command r keys down. If there is more than one copy of the OS installed anywhere in the system, the Repair Partition becomes unavailable. Not an issue if other OS are mounted on removable drives—remove those drives before accessing Repair on the boot drive.

A non APFS volume cannot see or access APFS. Switching from one to the other requires Option boot, no big deal. Only the Sierra and older Repair partitions will be visible, however.

The reason this is important is because of APFS Snapshots. Think of Snapshots as a complete Time Machine Restore in case something goes wrong — except that it takes 1 minute (iMac Pro) to 5 minutes (2010 iMac) to restore a 2TB boot volume instead of 8–10 hours.

I test and download a lot for various reasons. One never knows when you might get into trouble with this. With Snapshots, I'm secure in the absolute knowledge that I can do a complete restore losing less than the last hour of my work — or that I can go back in time further if necessary. It's my choice.

I've tried to find a link that explain this in better detail without trying to sell you some crapware that you don't need. Here's an old article I wrote where I answered questions.
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=64689

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
All those issues I covered in the beta forum.
As I said if you think you can't then you can't, but I think I can so I just do it. You just need to loosen up, relax max, and don't limit yourself because of what someone else is limited to, go beyond their confines.

kjtl #552353 09/01/19 03:14 AM
Apprentice
Apprentice
is anyone here a part of the Mac beta program and if so can you even confirm that?

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Yes it's all good.

Pipeline #552725 09/03/19 07:01 AM
Expert
Expert
Yes it's all good.

Hmmmm...

I though the first rule of beta was the same as Fight Club:

You don't talk about it.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Mike Man what's your problem ? Why did I hear your exact quote in my head the second I posted the statement, why ???.
The "information" I posted is not an issue.
You contribute absolutely nothing around here looking back at your posts.
All I do around here is help other users, come up with ideas, workarounds and development. I have contributed a ton of stuff over the years and go way out of my way to help people that's from going through so much crap, suffering, life support machines, dying, leaving my body going into absolute peace, love, knowing when I was younger. That's why I can pick things up and absorb them and it's not good picking up your state of conciseness it's very negative and destructive and makes me want to give up.

Where did it start Mike ?
Did I do something that you were so adamant was impossible ?
Get out of your fricken OSist crap I can use any OS it's not a problem for me, when you leave this world you'll see it's all crap, don't wait till then lift your consciousnesses up to a higher level now !!!!!
If you can't learn from it, have zero respect and want to continue this crap I'd rather not be here honestly.
Just let me know Mike.

I think what I'll do to solve the issue is Carbon Copy Clone my 10.9 drive to some new drives then upgrade or downgrade each drive to a different version, then when you go to run an app and it says you need this version or that version, I just reboot to the boot menu and select that drive. You could even have a common drive to store files on.
Ahhhh Comedy. Ignoring the fact that it wouldn't work, it would be fun to watch.
Quote:
Microsoft, despite its compatibility modes in Windows 10, is not above breaking perfectly good software. I had to update and recompile my database applications from Windows XP that simply would not run on Windows 8 or 10.

I spent 23 years in a Windows environment, many of them doing tech support for local software firms. When someone goes on about the fantasy of Windows compatibility, I have volumes of horror stories about that nonsense—and it certainly is.

You described a technical impossibility and are trying to back it up with random quotes off the internet.

I am all for having a discussion — but that isn't it.

You described a technical impossibility..

Now that's working fine, I just need the MacBB 2019.8
but while I'm waiting I can boot up on Win7 or Win10 and use WinBB 2019.
If an app won't run I boot on the Mac volume that will run it.
I can use any OS without feeling embarrassed or ashamed that my Mac or Win friends will find out that I'm doing such a sacrilegious thing.
I have no problem using any OS all day long as long as I can create music on it smile I drove a BMW the other day and then got out into a Honda, they were a bit different but I soon got the hang of it.

There's the impossible working without issue, ask yourself.

kjtl #552784 09/03/19 06:28 PM
Expert
Expert
Quote:
Why did I hear your exact quote in my head the second I posted the statement, why ???.

Check the timeline. My post was two days later when I finally read it. If you think you shouldn't have posted on the beta program, perhaps you would have been right not to.

As to commenting on things you imagine in your head—or much of the nonsense contained in your posts—I think I'll pass.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I picked it up 2 days before and was spot on. If I was imaging it in my head why was it spot on and why was it from you of all users.
You are hanging out to learn, I tried to help you to make it easy but your negativity it preventing it, so the more you resist the stronger the hit is required for you to move pass it.

Originally Posted By: kjtl
Is there a Mac 2019 Beta available to test?

Not yet, should be close though, hopefully 64bit and a Biab Plugin version like windows.

I'd certainly like to see it when ready.

Yes it's all good.

Yes it's all good.

Hmmmm...

I though the first rule of beta was the same as Fight Club:

You don't talk about it.

Ask yourself man, where do you get off.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,555
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199