Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RealBand
jonel Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi All,
I'm having a particularly annoying problem with my use of Midi files with RealBand. I'm pretty sure that there is no actual problem with RealBand, but my own understanding of the Midi protocol is causing me a real headache.

When I open a midi file in RealBand I am pleased to see that the set of instruments defined for the tracks of the music are correctly chosen, albeit in a GM format. This has been a great feature for me because it allows me to easily connect to an appropriate other non-gm synth for each track.

I've just been loading some Organ midi files but the instrument chosen by RealBand has been the the Acoustic Piano for each track.
From my understanding of midi I assume this instrument is chosen as the default instrument because none was mentioned in the midi file. Is it because the the midi file was generated using non GM instruments?

I opened the file using a hex editor and this was quite helpful in getting me familiar with the midi structure, but I could only find one channel select code for channel 0 which was 'CO' with the value '00' and I assumed this would be taken as the default Acoustic Piano.
I found myself getting drawn in more to the midi structure and it was using up a lot of my time because the hex editor wasn't too helpful with actual midi interpretation.

Anyway, if somebody could kindly tell me why some midi files do not have an instrument select code, I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Jonel

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Downloaded files can have all kinds of crap in them. Forget hex for now, RB uses F3 or F5 or one of those Function keys I can't remember to open the Event Editor. That's a simple list of controllers and notes in the file. It sounds like there's no Program Change for a GM organ so you create it. If there is a PC there change it. If you see a channel number of zero change that too. Once you get into it it's easy to insert CC7 for volume changes to create dynamics, add modulation, whatever. It's all done in the Event Editor.

Downloaded files can be so much fun (not!) But they can teach you a lot. I've had some files so messed up I deleted everything but the notes and started over.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
RealBand
Expert
Expert
Hi

There are 2 ways the patches get written in a standard midi file.
The first is in the header , these come up as the instruments on the track / channels when the file is loaded. But do not show in the events list.

The second way is to hard write them into the tracks channels in the events list,
this some times occurs at the very start of the event list you can see them as program changes (patches).
These are executed as the file progresses the time line, and can be changed at any time in the file, on any channel providing you don’t want patches from a different bank you only need to enter the new patch where req
In the case of GM all the patches come from MSB 000, LSB 000, so there fore just the instrument / patch number as a program change.
Yes and patch 0 is a piano

Note you probably wont see these changes in the track view as it will show the instrument from the header, but you should here them as the file plays and see them in the events list for that track /channel.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Head; 09/05/19 06:14 AM.

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
jonel,

Thanks for asking the question. This is an interesting discussion.

Mike I'm familiar with patch selection as the first item in a midi channel event list I was not aware of the file header option. Can you go into more detail?

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
RealBand
Expert
Expert
Hi Jim

Not certain it is anything you can get control over as a user. Without some sort of hex editor at file level.

But for sure they are often not visible in the events list for a lot of midi files ,
Yet each channel has its own voice.

As far as I know it happens when the midi file is first saved, it writes the program patch assigned to that channel, channels with nothing assigned default to 0.
Once assigned in the header it will stay in force until you re assign it with a program change event. This can of course be right at the start or any time in the file.

Some Daws and synth write the initial ones, as events at the beginning of the event list any way, as well.

Mike

RealBand
jonel Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thank you very much for those very helpful replies. They have caused me to re-assess what I thought I understood about the midi format:

Bob:
Yes I did see some channel number of zero but assumed these to be the first channel available. In other files I did not find any channel numbers and you have explained this to me. What I don't understand is why a midi file, representing a piece of music, would not have any indication of what instrument was to play in the track?

Mike:
I hadn't realised that the patch instruction could actually be held in the header. Since the event list doesn't show it then I suppose I could examine it using the hex editor I mentioned in my original post. I was also confused with the actual value of the channel number and the patch until I noticed that I had to add 1 to each in order to make the result tie up with what was being played in the track.

I will return to the structure again although I find it hard going just working in the hex contents of the midi file. I don't know if there are any tools that can show the contents of the file in a more human friendly fashion.

But..., thanks, I have a lot to work on now.

RealBand
Expert
Expert
Hi

Ah the dreaded Yamaha instrument number trap.

Normal midi patch numbers 0 to 127 (that is zero based)
Yamaha use one based numbering 1 to 127. for its voice list in the manuals and on the keyboard. But write the midi file 0 based to conform.
This is why its so important to have a pat file if you use a Yamaha voice set .
To be fair BIAB allows you to use one or zero based numbering .

Daws like cakewalk achieve this with .ins file (Instrument definition files)

Obviously things like coyote wave table dxi use standard gm 0 based names.

Extract from Yamaha xg lite pat file.
ZEROBASED
0.0.0=1 Grand Piano
1.0.0=2 Bright Piano
2.0.0=3 Electric Grand Piano
3.0.0=4 Honky-tonk Piano
4.0.0=5 Electric Piano 1
5.0.0=6 Electric Piano 2
6.0.0=7 Harpsichord
7.0.0=8 Clavi
8.0.0=9 Celesta
9.0.0=10 Glockenspiel
10.0.0=11 Music Box
11.0.0=12 Vibraphone
12.0.0=13 Marimba
13.0.0=14 Xylophone
14.0.0=15 Tubular Bells
15.0.0=16 Dulcimer
16.0.0=17 Drawbar Organ
17.0.0=18 Percussive Organ
18.0.0=19 Rock Organ
19.0.0=20 Church Organ
20.0.0=21 Reed Organ
21.0.0=22 Accordion
22.0.0=23 Harmonica

Extract from Cakewalk ins file

[XG lite Bank 0]
0=1 Grand Piano
1=2 Bright Piano
2=3 Electric Grand Piano
3=4 Honky-tonk Piano
4=5 Electric Piano 1
5=6 Electric Piano 2
6=7 Harpsichord
7=8 Clavi
8=9 Celesta
9=10 Glockenspiel
10=11 Music Box
11=12 Vibraphone
12=13 Marimba
13=14 Xylophone
14=15 Tubular Bells
15=16 Dulcimer
16=17 Drawbar Organ
17=18 Percussive Organ
18=19 Rock Organ
19=20 Church Organ
20=21 Reed Organ
21=22 Accordion
22=23 Harmonica

Hope this helps more than confuse.
Mike

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Are you confused yet?

Wait, there's more! I don't know about info in the header, I haven't seen that. What I have seen is a separate track with no instruments or notes but containing all the CC and program changes for all tracks and channels. This means if you look at the event list for track 8 for example all you see is the notes but everything else is in that other track. And what's even more confusing is that controlling track can be anywhere. It could be track 1 or track 20 meaning sometimes you have to hunt for it.

Another thing is sysex info. This is used if the original author of the file created it using a particular hardware synth. Sysex id's the synth and all the other CC's are specific to that synth. If you try to play that file with a different synth that sysex info is all wrong making the file sound completely wrong. The named instruments could be played as anything. In that case you delete all the sysex info and reset all the instruments to the GM standard patches.

You have to really want that file to do all that. I'll try to find a better file first.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
RealBand
jonel Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks Bob. I really only started this over some curiosity about the behaviour of some of the midi files I had been playing. That drove me to look at the format and then I sort of got sucked in even more and its diverted me completely away from what I was doing in the first place.
The information I have been given on so far has helped a lot. I don't know why I get hung up on stuff like this because it is not that important since I can now achieve what I want to. But... it seems to be that itch I need to scratch.

Thanks

RealBand
Expert
Expert
Hi Jonel

Well if you are still in for a bit of info on this stuff.
Here below is a link to one of my old post of a technical articles from my website, about just what you see and what you hear or don’t in Realband track view window.
It takes a bit of getting your head round but you may find it useful.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=63093&Number=421946#Post421946

Mike

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jonel
Thanks Bob. I really only started this over some curiosity about the behaviour of some of the midi files I had been playing. That drove me to look at the format and then I sort of got sucked in even more and its diverted me completely away from what I was doing in the first place.

Right, happens to me all the time as well. Usually this is the fun part of our little hobby. Where it gets frustrating is when I'm under a time crunch usually involving a gig and I need to create charts for new songs I've never played before. Otherwise, music in general and messing with all this software is what I really love to do and it keeps us sharp. It's not easy figuring this stuff out. Seriously, would you rather learn all you can about midi files or keep watching reruns of Law and Order?

Bob

RealBand
jonel Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks Bob, sorry for the delay in acknowledging - I've just had a little sojourn to Majorca.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Bob,
Unusual but I disagree. Sysex is for parameters of a synth that are not covered by system common paramaters.
Sysex = system exclusive.
CC = system common parameters

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
It's the GM thing that gets folks confused.If the synth be it hard or soft you are using is not GM you have a lot of resetting up to do.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Patch 1 on a synth doesn't have to be a piano unless it's a GM compatible synth.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
RealBand
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Thanks for reposting that older post Mike. I had saved it on my old computer and never transferred it over to this new one. Got saved on this one now. good information.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mike Head
Hi Jonel

Well if you are still in for a bit of info on this stuff.
Here below is a link to one of my old post of a technical articles from my website, about just what you see and what you hear or don’t in Realband track view window.
It takes a bit of getting your head round but you may find it useful.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=63093&Number=421946#Post421946

Mike

Mike,

As Charlie indicated, that long post about getting synths to properly work in RealBand is GOLD. May I humbly suggest you either (1) Copy and paste the message to the Tips & Tricks forum section or (2) post the message link to the Tips & Tricks forum section along with an explanation of why the post exists.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Mike's post on midi is awesome and should be pinned in the RealBand Forum.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
RealBand
Expert
Expert
hi

Thanks Jim, Charlie and John

Now available via tips and tricks.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I don't want to rain on your parade Mike, you're pretty knowlegeable but I just read through your Fine Tuning RB etc regarding VST's and don't get the first half of it.

It's not that complicated but you sure make it seem complicated. First you wrote you left the Use Default Synth checked and set it up for Tracks 1-5 and you were happy with your Thru track for your keyboard voice as you wrote:

Quote:
This is easy in Realband’s Options / preferences / midi /midi thru / set track specific
This way if I am recording a trumpet by playing notes into a track while recording I hear a trumpet or what ever other instrument I choose on any track I hear that tracks voice .

Ok we are looking good, now here comes the rub.

Lets say I have the first 5 tracks going to my default synth via the afore mentioned
Route MIDI playback to my default Dxi/Vst synth.
Fine I hear these and my thru voice is true to the selected track voice.

You don't say what the channel number was for Thru but the assumption is it had to be one of Tracks 1-5 otherwise you would not have heard it.

Then you talk about setting up Kontakt on Track 6:

Quote:
For track 6 I Insert Kontakt as a Specific vst synth for midi track
Load up an instrument from my Kontakt library. Realband sets up the fist available free port for this on this track in this case it would be port 17. Fine any midi data coming from data recorded on track 6 is routed to my Kontakt selection and plays that voice, and the other tracks play the default synth voices.

Unfortunately the Thru voice for track 6 still gets sent to the default synth as per my route MIDI playback to my default Dxi/Vst synth and plays the default piano (as there is no other voice specified for that track
As it is specified in Kontakt on port 17.

The work around for this is to un tick the box in midi set up for Route MIDI playback to my default Dxi/Vst synth.

Now I hear the Kontakt voice as the play through voice on track 6.

What's that? You said the default synth was set to channels 1-5. Did you mean 1-6? If it was 6 and you knew that was your Thru channel then of course you knew you needed to pick an instrument for it. But then you wrote "plays the default piano (as there is no other voice specified for that track) As it is specified in Kontakt on port 17" Again, what? You did not select an instrument for Track 6 in Kontakt? Color me confused here and then you say you had to uncheck Use Default synth. Ok unchecking that seems to be the main point so why put in all the rest of it? Just say you need to uncheck the Default Synth. That's really confusing.

Now you're talking about latency:

Quote:
The other 5 tracks now go to what ever I have set as my mid out device with I might say any latency derived from that trip, but I do hear the track specific voices.

So to get it back to my preferred synth for those tracks I have to:
Assign each track to its own instance of my preferred Dxi/Vst synth.
Its not really a separate instance as such it is the same synth inserted on port 32 once used multiple times. This way I get no latency and every track 1-5 and the Kontakt track have the track specific play through voice.

Talking about invoking a synth multiple times is fine but what you did here has nothing to do with latency. The default synth can be a Dxi or a VST and both are subject to whatever soundcard or interface driver you're using. Latency is latency regardless. Are you saying there really is a difference in latency between the Default Synth and any other synth? I've never heard that and I use different synths including the Default all the time.

Since some folks seem to think these instructions are gold and need to be put into Tip and Tricks, I respectfully disagree with the first half of this, it's pretty simple.

Here's all you need to do:

If you want to change a synth on any track you simply change it. Right click in the Track Name window, select Specific DSi/VST Synth. It's irrelevant if you have the Default Synth checked or not, it's all controlled by the Track Info window by selecting Specific Dxi/VST synth for MIDI track. If you have six synths then set them up on six tracks or if one is multitimbral then use it on several tracks as you described with one of the Kontakt synths.

If you want to test the same synth for the whole song then after selecting a synth for any track also click on Set all MIDI tracks to the same synth you just selected. You can do this to test every synth in your system if you want. Select it then Set all MIDI tracks to it.

That's it.

All of this has nothing to do with the Default Synth setting, the Track Info window bypasses that. UNLESS...

When using the Thru channel to play/record a midi instrument live the Default Synth overrides a different synth you put on that channel? Ok, so uncheck the Default Synth. There's your tip along with my simple instructions.

When I said RB is not complex this is what I mean. A Tip and Trick like this whole post makes it seem to noob's that man, you have to jump through a lot of hoops if you want to use something other than a basic GM synth and that's not true at all.

If I'm wrong please tell me but my workiflow is how I've been doing it for for some time. Just to make sure I'm not smokin my socks again I just set up a song with the Microsoft Wavetable, Coyote WT, SampleTank 3, the Forte Dxi and the Yamaha SPG2 that I think you posted. They're all playing fine together. AND the Default Synth is checked. AND I confirmed they're actually playing, I'm not listening to the Default Synth but the tracks say all these other synths. They're all playing.

Finally, your post is from 2017. Maybe my method was a new version since then? I'm thinking I've been doing this longer than that but memories fade. In any case I really think you should simplify your post in Tips and Tricks.

Bob

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,506
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195