Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#551687 08/28/19 12:08 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It’s five days out and a lot can change but current models indicate Dorian coming ashore in Florida.

We have family and friends in Florida and the PG Music forum community has Floridian members. We wish everybody the best and hope Mother Nature shoves it north into the Atlantic!

J&B

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
It’s five days out and a lot can change but current models indicate Dorian coming ashore in Florida.

J&B

Hope everything goes well for them. I hear some folks are still recovering from Hurricane Ionian, and others are already prepping for Hurricane Phrygian! grin

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: DeaconBlues09
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

J&B

Hope everything goes well for them. I hear some folks are still recovering from Hurricane Ionian, and others are already prepping for Hurricane Phrygian! grin

Why is the approaching hurricane not a major storm? Because it's Dorian eek

Seriously, hopefully everyone down that way will be safe.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
At least Puerto Rico was not hit. It was only two years ago that Hurricane Maria took 3000 lives there.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I hear some folks are still recovering from Hurricane Ionian, and others are already prepping for Hurricane Phrygian!

Oh, the cheese is thick with this one..... LOL Pie a-la mode anyone?

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: sslechta
I hear some folks are still recovering from Hurricane Ionian, and others are already prepping for Hurricane Phrygian!

Oh, the cheese is thick with this one..... LOL Pie a-la mode anyone?

Maybe, at the least, a shoutout to those in the path?

J&B

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I happen to currently be working in one of the possible bullseye sites, Fort Lauderdale, Fl. Hoping to get a plane out tomorrow but airports are already starting their cancellation policies.

Even if I get our of town on Friday, I have to be back on Tuesday, so unless I take advantage of the no-fee flight cancellations and stay in Town to ride our the storm I expect a lot of air port time in the next days.

So being a Northerner and never having to ride out a hurricane.... how bad can it be? I can ask the hotel for a higher floor...

Other than that, I don't see a problem with inserting a bit of musical humor in what may or may not be some dire time ahead.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks Dan! Both my wife and I have relatives in Florida as well. We are very concerned about EVERYONE's safety that lives there. I was just trying to add to the fun of what the others have been saying.

Good luck in riding out the storm if you have to.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

Why is the approaching hurricane not a major storm? Because it's Dorian eek

Man, I didn't get this right away. Once I did; it was funny. It just took me a 2nd.

Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone. Stay safe.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I hope that the hurricane passes without harm.

My thoughts are with all who are currently fearful about being in the hurricane's path.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Looks like I'm at ground zero. Unless it changes its "mind".

I've ridden out almost every storm since Donna in 1960 and plan to ride out another.

I got gas for the generator today, killed the wasps under the storm awnings so I can drop them without getting stung, and got dry food.

Tomorrow pick up loose things in the yard, make sure the drains are clear plus clean out the glass drinking water storage jugs and fill a big trash can with water to flush the toilet. We have a well, so we can't use it unless the generator is running, and we will only run the generator enough to keep the food in the fridge cold.

Charging rechargeable batteries, got the crank generator emergency radio up, and the cars have a full tank of gas.

We'll probably lose power. Since I'm in a sparsely populated area we'll probably get restored last. FPL will go for the greatest numbers first (and they should) so we'll have to wait.

Hurricanes are a major PITA frown but there's nothing we can do except prepare.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I have about 6 friends in Florida I talk to daily that I'm pretty concerned about for when this hits. I hope everyone who is in the area stays safe!

Cheers,
Ember
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Wow, the latest forecasts are some really scary stuff. Hope and pray everyone in the path gets through it okay.

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Wow, the latest forecasts are some really scary stuff. Hope and pray everyone in the path gets through it okay.
It definitely is scary, but a lot of my friends from Florida seem mostly unfussed even though they're right near Orlando. Right now it looks like it's moving further and further south. I'm sure Floridians know how to prepare for such events and I'm sure they'll do all they can to keep safe.

Cheers,
Ember
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hope all my good friends stay safe and unharmed

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Looks like Dorian is going to turn and miss us. That means I've done all this prep work for nothing. Hooray!!!!!!!!!

The big problems here in Florida are (in no particular order)
  • In the late 1960s and 1970s, bending to the demands and bribes from developers, the building codes all over the state were watered down allowing such things as 2x4 frame houses, shingle roofs, and so on. The houses were not built to stand up to a category 4 hurricane. The big bad wolf will blow a lot of them down. Then they enticed a lot of northerners who didn't know better to buy them.
  • They also built on reclaimed swamp land, which means as soon as we get a lot of rain, the houses are flooded - and the water damage in a hurricane is worse than wind damage.

If you are high and dry (not on reclaimed Everglades), have a well built house, with proper storm awnings or shutters, and you don't do something stupid, the probability of severe injury or death are almost zero, much less than on the road trying to evacuate.

You need to prepare in advance, before the crowds hit the stores. We get plenty of advance warning most of the time. Remember, the storm lasts a few hours, the electricity can be out for as much as 2 weeks
  • Store lots tap water in the glass bottles you have put aside for this years ago and will keep after the storm is over.
  • Buy food that doesn't need refrigeration
  • If you have a charcoal or gas grill make sure you have fuel, if not make sure the food you buy in the step above doesn't need cooking.
  • Fill trash bins with water for flushing the toilet and washing (some people fill bath tubs).
  • Charge batteries or make sure you have disposables for the lanterns and emergency radio that you should have bought when you moved into your house - if you don't have them, get them ASAP even if you have to wait until after the storm.
  • Check your generator and get a lot of gas - if you don't need it you can put it in your car when the storm is over
  • If your house doesn't have storm panels and/or shutters, get that plywood early - and when the storm is over, invest in storm panels and shutters. It's cheap insurance for your safety.
  • Clear your yard of anything that a giant wind can make airborne. A stick can go through a tree or a window
  • If you need medicine, make sure you have at least 2 weeks supply

I've always lived on the "Eastern Sand Ridge" from 20' to 30' above sea level. I've been through almost every hurricane since Donna in 1960 (I was on the road in a rock band for one). The two worst things I experienced was (1) water blowing under a door - mops and towels fixed it (2) I jumped out of my chair when a huge limb of a mango tree broke off and hit the storm awning behind the chair I was sitting on.

That doesn't guarantee I'll make it through the next one, but the odds are better then being on the highway evacuating.

So there is some advice for folks in the path for 'next time'.

And for those where it may still hit, please be safe and follow the guidelines, go to a shelter if needed, or get out of town before the storm is 2 days away.

Bob

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Stay safe. Don't take chances. I was a Building Inspector for Indian River County in 2004. I've seen what can happen. Those storms were cat3. This one predicted to be a cat4.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: silvertones
Stay safe. Don't take chances. I was a Building Inspector for Indian River County in 2004. I've seen what can happen. Those storms were cat3. This one predicted to be a cat4.

When I was a kid in Pompano Beach, the majority of the homes up here would have not been built.

The norm for construction at the timeswas CBS homes with white, slate or other heavy tile roof, tar and gravel roof, or Bermuda roof.

So it's important to know the limitations of your house. If I were in a 2x4 frame house (and I would never buy one), I'd seek better shelter.

Notes

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Luckily it sounds like right now based on current conditions that Dorian might actually completely turn away. Fingers crossed!

Cheers,
Ember
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I feel for the folks in the Bahamas.

We're still not completely safe here in Florida. I've seen one pass us, loop around clockwise then come back and hit us.

For all my friends in Florida, don't take the shutters down yet, don't dump the water you are saving, don't let your guard down, and keep your eye on the NOAA hurricane site and/or your favorite weather page.

We're under a tropical storm warning here (39mph to 73mph) so keep your guard up.

Insights and incites by Notes

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,514
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195