Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#553764 09/08/19 06:00 PM
RealBand
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
So, I've entered chords with the style that I want, pretty much all Real Tracks. I've added a couple of MIDI tracks to step-enter a Melody, a couple of bass notes in particular spots in place of the Real Track notes, etc. Sounds good so far. I'm trying to add some horn parts that I arranged previously. I saved the trumpet part from my Finale score as a singular MIDI file. I've imported it successfully into my Real Band song. However, it comes as a piano part. I keep trying to change the MIDI sound to trumpet, and it says 57: Trumpet in Track View, but the sound is still piano. Why can't I change this to a trumpet sound?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
TptImportedMIDI.png (208.98 KB, 132 downloads)
Last edited by Funkifized; 09/08/19 06:15 PM.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2024 (1109)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core i7 4800MQ @ 2.70GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
RealBand
Expert
Expert
I know little of RealBand but I would think you’d need to click on the FX button and ensure you have a Trumpet selected as the MIDI instrument.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
RealBand
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Funkifized
So, I've entered chords with the style that I want, pretty much all Real Tracks. I've added a couple of MIDI tracks to step-enter a Melody, a couple of bass notes in particular spots in place of the Real Track notes, etc. Sounds good so far. I'm trying to add some horn parts that I arranged previously. I saved the trumpet part from my Finale score as a singular MIDI file. I've imported it successfully into my Real Band song. However, it comes as a piano part. I keep trying to change the MIDI sound to trumpet, and it says 57: Trumpet in Track View, but the sound is still piano. Why can't I change this to a trumpet sound?

Step 1: Port over to Reaper.

Step 2: Do whatever you damn well please.

Step 3: Rejoice!

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
RealBand
Expert
Expert
HI

I see from your pic that you are using the Microsoft midi sounds.
Make sure you do not have a tick in reroute midi to vst/dxi in midi settings .

I suspect at the moment you are re routing to a non GM midi vst/dxi.

The other way if you want to reroute to a vst/dxi choose coyote wave table as your default dxi.
and put the tick in the reroute box
Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: DeaconBlues09

Step 1: Port over to Reaper.

Step 2: Do whatever you damn well please.

Step 3: Rejoice!

Dude. This is ridiculous. A comment like this implies that Real Band is just a total POS which is NOT TRUE. I used RB last year to record an entire album for my sister using 3 or 4 softsynths AT THE SAME TIME on different tracks for different sounds just like you can do with any other DAW. This also implies you do completely understand RB, have worked with it a lot and THEN decided to use Reaper which would be legit.

Why don't you answer the question for him? He obviously doesn't understand how softsynths work in general, not just with RB. He would have the same issue with Reaper.

Don't worry Funkfized, we'll get you sorted out, I just had to respond to this stupid post first.

Go to Help>Contents>Basics. Then read and understand Driver Setup then read and understand Setup and Configuration. If that doesn't answer your questions, reply back and we'll figure it out.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Not to pile on DBlue, but I notice that mentality from many Reaper users (disclaimer: this is not a knock on REAPER) it seems to be an environment where folks feel a lot of connection. That can be good, still the following tends to be almost rabid. I own reaper but actually found it to be far to much work. I also have mixed entire projects in RB and found it very powerful. It really boils down to what work flow you like.

I do have to mention it never seems to be very cool or maybe not very wise to beat up on a product in favor of a competitor on that products forum. It kinda sets you up for a good old fashioned electronic tongue lashing.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
RealBand
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Mike Head
HI

I see from your pic that you are using the Microsoft midi sounds.
Make sure you do not have a tick in reroute midi to vst/dxi in midi settings .

I suspect at the moment you are re routing to a non GM midi vst/dxi.

The other way if you want to reroute to a vst/dxi choose coyote wave table as your default dxi.
and put the tick in the reroute box
Mike

Thanks, but I don't know how to do those things.

Version 2024 (1109)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Haswell 22nm Technology
RealBand
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal

Go to Help>Contents>Basics. Then read and understand Driver Setup then read and understand Setup and Configuration. If that doesn't answer your questions, reply back and we'll figure it out.

Bob

I'm not getting what is wrong. I did the bass MIDI track step entry and it works fine(only a few notes for a band stop that wouldn't be covered by the Real Track). When I try to define a trumpet part, and step enter the notes, the MIDI track sounds clearly like piano, not trumpet.

Oh, but wait. I didn't step enter the notes of the trumpet part; they were imported from a MIDI file. I created the MIDI file in Finale. Is there something in that imported file that is making it impossible to change the MIDI patch?

Another edit: the bass step-entry notes are now piano sound, too. I can't win.

Last edited by Funkifized; 09/09/19 12:10 PM.

Version 2024 (1109)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Haswell 22nm Technology
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Go to the E icon (Event List) in RB.
Enter a patch change message (or Program Change) for the sound you want. It will be a MIDI patch number for the sound you want on the synth you are using.
This 'Forces' the track to send the MIDI info to the correct sound for the synth you chose. Enter it at the beginning of the song (1-1-0 for time).

Sounds like all Finale imported MIDI is using patch number 1 (piano usually), and possibly the same MIDI channel, since the bass and trumpets assume the same sound.
Making RB correct this may be your ticket to joy.

You may find all the imported MIDI from Finale is on the same MIDI channel (again check the Event List to verify).
If this is the case you may need to go the extra mile and Rechannel the MIDI track(s).
In other words, if you send a message on the Bass track and again on the Trumpet track, and they are on the same MIDI channel, they will over rule each other (with the last message being what is heard).
So sending this data on separate MIDI channels is important (say Basss on MIDI channel 2 and Trumpets on MIDI channel 12 for instance), that way they don't get conflicting messages.

MIDI is an art in itself. Understanding it, and how imported files may affect it can be important.

Hope that helps more than confuses.

Last edited by rharv; 09/09/19 02:52 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Okay, so I went into the Event list for both tracks, put in the patch change on different channels for each of the two tracks. That worked. However, both tracks seem to be playing a 16th note late. They show up in the Notation Window as being on the beat, as well as in the Track Window, but now they play after the beat. How does that work?

Last edited by Funkifized; 09/09/19 04:50 PM.

Version 2024 (1109)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Haswell 22nm Technology
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I personally think there is too much of the look I have Reaper, I have finale, I have band in the box, I have real band, I have this program, I have that program, and I need to use them all in order to make a proper CD. That is pure crap. Real Band can do everything that any of the others can do.

Last edited by silvertones; 09/10/19 02:40 AM.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
RealBand
Journeyman
Journeyman
Mmmkay.

For all the negative flack I drew for touting Reaper over RB, and those saying that "Realband does everything that Reaper can do," "I recorded an entire album on Realband," etc., I'll just jot down a couple dozen things off the top of my head where Reaper thrashes Realband on every level.

1. Folders and sub-folders for your tracks in Reaper that can be collapsed and expanded at will.

2. Multiple routing options in Reaper that you don't have in Realband in terms of sends, receives, pre/post FX, etc.

3. Reaper's dozens of native plugins in just about every damn category you can think of, including multiple forms of visualizers, sequencers, delays, compressors,... I know RB has a handful of effects, but I heavily doubt they've been updated in over a decade.

4. Reapitch. (you can track your vocals (or any monophonic instrumentm for that matter) against a pianoroll-style grid, and visually adjust out of pitch notes.

5. Invert direction of audio snippets for interesting reverse effects.

6. Incredible flexibility and wealth of options in setting your crossfades and their curves.

7. Built in LFO for automating parameter modulation.

8. Assigning colors and/or icons (e.g. microphone, piano, banjo, cello, guitar [acoustic/electric, bass]) to your individual tracks which enables you keep track of everything at a glance.

9. Assigning regions (with titles and colors, if you wish) to various parts of a track which then can be click-dragged into any configuration you please thereby enabling you to reorganize/duplicate an entire track or parts thereof in a matter of seconds.

10. Ripple editing.

11. Track/take/section/selection locking.

12. Applying effects to only portions of a track.

13. Track and item grouping.

15. Click-drag looping of audio, MIDI, and envelope configurations.

16. Highly configurable transient detection utility which you can use to align out-of-time notes to the grid utilizing stretch markers, or to...

17. ...automatically detect and select regions to delete, copy, or apply individual effects to selectively (e.g. delay, compression, multi-band eq.)

18. MIDI input quantize to grid options light-years more advances than Realband's.

19. Same with MIDI quantize to key/scale--there are scripts that can enable you to snap to Hungarian Minor, Japanese hexatonic, or whatever else you can throw at it.

20. Reaper's pianoroll has a zillion more options. You can set your notes at any length you please on the way in (in RB you can get a dotted whole note at most...if you want longer notes than that you have to draw them in yourself because YOU CAN'T MERGE MIDI CELLS LIKE YOU CAN IN REAPER). If you want to see how frustrating this is, try and have a long chord sustain over more than a single measure--like you would if you wanted a long orchestral swell that gradually blooms. The notes will cut off and re-trigger. Not "restating" chords is of no use here. Go ahead. Try and start a project with only a single "C" chord entered. With MIDI it should sustain for as long as you want it to. In RB it does not,

21. In Realband when you use your mousewheel to scroll down or up, it keeps going like a victim of its own inertia. No such problem in Reaper.

22. Realband will simply not enter the damn chords you ask it to! If I enter a fmaj13/A with a held piano MIDI track, I want to see every note in that cluster. Is that so much to ask? Reaper has not such problem.

23. Automation, automation, automation. Using the touch and latch modes, you can instantly create and modify parameters of every single effect, VSTi, or what have you in a matter of seconds. The only envelopes you get in RB are volume, and the most basic MIDI parameters (velocity, aftertouch, etc.)

24. Tempo changes can be plotted along any type of curve you like by simply visually adjusting a slope.

OK, there's 2 dozen right off the top of my head.

BTW, not looking to get into an argument here. I, myself, spent a fair amount of time with RB until I discovered what else was actually out there.

Whatever works for you, works for you. :-)

Best wishes,

DB09

Last edited by DeaconBlues09; 09/10/19 06:35 AM.

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I get what your saying DB, by the way how's the weather in your neck of the woods.

Reaper is a rich program for sure as is Cubase, Studio One, cakewalk, etc. it has far deeper features in many areas than RB. There are some areas where reaper fails in comparison to RB, and those areas are obvious. Track generation features is one that pops out boldly. For basic tracking and project building RB is very powerful. It does fails in automation and such.

I was not trying to argue with you but rather to point out that there is some truth to the fact that Reaper users tend to push Reaper on every forum I have ever been on, as if it is the end all of DAWs. it is a very powerful DAW for sure but not the best. It lags behind in midi compared to Cakewalk and Cubase, Takes, comping and such are a little less intuitive when compared to Studio one, and Cubase. It's routing is highly developed for sure, but to me as I have been a cakewalk user for better than 20 years, and a Studio one user for about 5 now I find it's routing convoluted and confusing. It is highly customizable, but again kind of fiddly, one can spend hours fooling around with stuff that simply works on other programs. Note: I have tinkered with Reaper since version 2 so I do know how to use it.

Again I respect your opinion and knowledge, and would not want to argue. I guess I just over years I have seen Reaper enthusiast shout its praises on Cakewalk's, Studio One's, PGS Music's, N-track Studio's, Multitrackstudio's, Cubase's, you name it. As if everyone should just drop all these other programs and Reaper will solve all their problems and lead them to DAWland bliss. I feel sometimes it is poor form to constantly promote, and suggest people move on to other software right on every other software's forum.

Still if I am being unfair or misrepresenting your view I apologize. To each our own as they say. I hope all is well with you and yours, please never let my views stop you from feeling free to express yours. We learn from each other. I appreciated your list earlier, and hope you can appreciate my views as well. Best wishes

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Back to the OP's last question ..
The 16th lag is not normal.
What synth are these 2 tracks using?
It *may* be caused by softsynth latency, but this shouldn't be new (or newly induced) by entering a patch change!

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
No argument here.
My statement was not accurate. I should have said:
A big % of people usins DAWs no very little about recording and RB has more features then they no how to use. The availability of all these other tools are useless in the hands of amateurs.
No judgement on the OP. He/she can't even figure out how to do a patch change. All those Features aren't features if you cant use them and aren't a pro. They get in the way.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,478
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195