Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast

For Pro Sound should I step up from Realdrums?
And if so is ADDITIVE DRUMS a good place to start? If not what do people recommend?

I currently use REALDRUMS and TRACKS and then load them into Sonar and have been happy with the results but I often hear from pros that the drums could be better.

I'm not going to record actual drums of course but I want to get better tracks. I understand that MID gives you ability to edit drum as a seperate track but does the

Been so spoiled by band in a box for 20 years that I haven't really done any drum programming or MIDI, I'm a singer/songwriter (American, Funny songs) and I want to step things up.

Thanks for any thoughts, I need to check out this forum more often.

Here's some BB tracks of mine if interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U804DJStm_I&list=PLNE-zflPjn9DLUgHkFVv6fnKSAZUy481n

-------
HappyRon's Inspirational Quotes With Music Videos (all made with BB)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U804DJStm_I&list=PLNE-zflPjn9DLUgHkFVv6fnKSAZUy481n
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Happy Ron,

Additive Drums 2 is an excellent drum program. You can set it up for GM drums so a BiaB MIDI drum track will work with it with no problems. In Sonar I would separate BiaB's drum track by note; I solo each separated track so I can name them, i.e. high tom. snare, etc. This way you can put effects on each individual track. For instance reverb and delay on the snare but only compression on the kick.

Have fun and I hope this helps.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Expert
Expert
Using Addictive Drums in a DAW the Addictive Drums will split the drums for you. One track in to many out. It is also possible to set your kit up with effects already on them also set volumes and panning for each drum (or mic). Better yet in a DAW one can render the drums into separate audio tracks to allow processing as you would a recorded set.

Once a kit is set up it is possible to save it. Also in the DAW save the track setup for the one in to multi out as a track template. Very simple in Cakewalk or Reaper I assume also other DAWs.

Addictive Drums is very powerful as are a number of other drum samplers. Take time to learn the features. Groove3 have excellent tutorials on using Addictive Drums.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I don’t know if EZ Drummer works well with BIAB, but I love the results I get with it. Drums are pretty much all that I can’t play with usable outcomes so in a sense it is my DIAB, Drummer in a box. I don’t mean that I can play brass or woodwinds because I can’t. As it is I just don’t even think to use those types of sounds in my writing. Drums were my weakness but EZ Drummer really has flipped that around for me.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Ron. Welcome to the forums!

A few things to consider before you start buying (and trying to learn) new Drums software...

When you say
"I often hear from pros that the drums could be better...."

What define these folks as "pros"?
What do they (or you) mean by "could be better..."?

Does that mean the playing???? .... because the guys playing the BIAB drums are the best there are... they know what they are doing...

Does that mean - your drums aren't loud enough?? Drummers (your pros?) like the hear drums above most everything else.
I listened to several of your videos (I enjoyed them, btw). I thought, for the most part, your drum choices were good, but they are a bit "buried in the mix". (Also, you don't get carried away with part markers - and therefore drum fills - they way some folks tend to...a good thing).

Does they mean the overall SOUND of the drums? The drums in you video could use some processing to "make them pop". Some high end EQ, some compression (and a bit more volume).

With just a little effort (processing), the BIAB drums can be some of the best there are.

Are you using a current version of BIAB (and at least the UltraPak)? There have been some great new choices in the last couple of years. There are SO many choices of style - and choosing the RIGHT one can make all the difference

Learning to use any of the Drum programs (Addictive Drummer, EZDrummer, etc.) can be a bit of a daunting task. If you don't have a decent grasp of how to "be a drummer", it is easy to "make a mess of things".
And you can end up spending all your time "trying to get the thing to do what you want"...instead of MAKING MUSIC.

Check to see if SONAR has a preset for a Stereo Drum Track (which is what you get out of BIAB). Finding one might be all you need. I use Presonus Studio One Professional - which has a preset called "S1 Drumgroup"... droping that on a BIAB drum track livens it up considerable. And then keeping the drums at the proper level (loud enough to drive the track) is often all that is required...

Good Luck!!

Apprentice
Apprentice
For what it’s worth:
In my opinion,
Native’s Abbey Road Drums are sooo detailed and well recorded. You can change the sample-pool (snare hit, tap....) on every single note, my personal favorite. Plus, you have a whole range of studio grade effects to your disposal that you can assign to all parts of the kit, separately.
Analogue drums Pizazz and Smoker are detailed too, little bit more difficult to set up, sadly, but definitely modern sounding.
But, granted, Addictive drums has some nice gear.
There’s so much nice stuff out there. I try to practice a lot to keep my head off buying new stuff, smile

Biab, Kontakt, Sampletank and lots of nice libraries, from Fluffy audio to Abbey Road drums.
Check out these great contemporary Jazz Styles: www.jazzstylezz.com
Journeyman
Journeyman
You're getting some good ideas. My experience may or may not be better.

I really like the sound of Real Drums, but there are a couple of limitations. One is that not all of them handle pushes and stops well. The other is that you can't do any mixing or change effects with them-what you hear is what you get. That hasn't always worked for me.

I use midi drums for all my songs now. Stops and pushes work well. I can also edit them if I want.

For sounds I use Westwood Drums ($5 on sale)or MT Power Drums (free). Before you spend any money, I would audition these programs. The learning curve is almost non-existent. Both have a mixer which allows application of their reverb or you can leave it off and use your own. MT has a built-in compressor which you can use or not.

As for process, I have BIAB generate the drums. Then I edit if necessary. Then I assign one of these programs to the drums as a plug-in. I use the mixer to solo so I can assign the snare, kick, toms and cymbals to separate tracks on my DAW. You can also have tracks with overhead and room sounds.

I'm sure you can do this with Addictive Drummer and EZ Drummer also. They probably have a lot more features. I'm just trying to give you another idea.

Hope you find something that works for you.

2b

i5-3210 laptop. Win 10 Home. 2.5ghz, 64 bit. 6gb RAM. Focusrite Scarlet 2i2.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 2bSolo

...I really like the sound of Real Drums, but there are a couple of limitations. One is that not all of them handle pushes and stops well. The other is that you can't do any mixing or change effects with them-what you hear is what you get. That hasn't always worked for me.

2b

There is a limited way around this. At the end of each RD audio file (found in the RealDrums folder) there are individual sounds for each kit component for that specific RD. With my DAW (Logic Pro X) it is easy take one of the sounds (clipping it from the file) and then double that sound on another track. With the original RD track set as a Logic Pro "groove" track I can very quickly double the kick and or snare and then process them to my liking. Toms and cymbals, etc., are not so easy for an entire track but easy for an emphasis here and there.

I assume that other DAW's have a similar "groove track" function. If not you can manually comp in, for example, a snare to match the snare hits in the RD. But given that RD's are human you will have to do some nudging here and there. The groove function does it in a snap and they are all perfectly aligned.

Afterwards I tweak one of Wave's CLA Drums "room" presets on the RD track then find a preset to tweak that I like for the individual components.

YMMV, FWIW, etc.

Bud

PS Shoutout to floyd for his above RD analysis and for putting me on to doubling the snare years ago.

Expert
Expert
I find also right clicking on the RealDrums track in a style and selecting the “QuickList in Style” option also offers a lot more control over RealDrums. Then going through the various options offers more ways the RealDrums play on a given style. For me it has cleaned up a lot of drum tracks.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Veteran
Veteran
Yep I agree with Floyd.

Before you go out and spend money, figure out the answers to his questions. I would be asking the same or similar questions as well.

If you are using the tracks from BB & RB straight out of the box, even as good as they are, you should really be using some treatment on the tracks to .....as Floyd said.... make them pop.

I absolutely love my custom designed Cakewalk plugs and Ozone software for audio tweeking. I use a lot of presets that I have tweezed over time, and saved. I have specific ones for practically every instrument. Drums, bass, and guitar is especially critical to get a good tone with.....plus vocals.... can't forget the vocals.

Using a good audio plug is crucial. It means the difference between a so-so drum kit sound and one that really gets the job done.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Well I guess I will have to disagree and say that EZ Drummer is well, easy. I do agree that defining ‘pro sound’ is entirely subjective.

But it is a very easy program to use with very usable results in the first go. You do not need to be a drummer to use it. You do need to know a little about styles and what not and what your song structure is going to be.

In that regard it’s not that different than BIAB.

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
.. but I often hear from pros that the drums could be better.

Better how?
The playing? Try forcing fills where you want them by using the part markers.
Once in a DAW, copy/paste the good fills over ones that may not fit as well. (or generate more to work with)

If it is the 'sound' of the drums; EQ, Compression, Enhancer/Exciters .. there are lots of ways to make the drum sound itself improved. PGMusic leaves enough headroom in the drum tracks to allow you to do this without much hassle.
Even when we work with live drum recordings (which we do 9 out 10 times) there is a bit of FX work to do on them; this is not something unique to realdrums.

We have one song our drummer didn't want to play .. replaced him with RDs without much issue. In our initial pre-release testing (having other musicians/audiophiles critique it before committing to print) nobody has mentioned the RDs yet.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I do 90% of my songwriting and recording in February every year as part of the February Album Writing Month; where the challenge is to write 14 songs in the month of February. I also usually record a demo of the song. I take 4-6 to do the recordigs.

In this regard, I've found EZ Drummer to be an insanely good solution as a songwriter. I end up with drums that have not caused me more than 10-15 minutes of work to lay out the song structure (intro, verses, choruses, pre-chorus, outro).

I don't do any particular processing on the drum tracks. I use a DAW template for a delay and reverb send/returns, and I'll send the drums to those and maybe play with the send level, but that's about it.

Here's some stuff from the past 2 years where I'm quite happy with the drum sounds - I will let others decide whether or not they are 'pro sound'. I don't know if these sound better or worse than BIAB. But since I play everything in my songs, besides drums, I may be partial to this 'drummer in a box' type thing that EZ Drummer allows me with very little effort.

https://soundcloud.com/rockstar_not/while-my-guitar-exits-gently

https://soundcloud.com/rockstar_not/open-up-scott-lake

https://soundcloud.com/rockstar_not/10-riff-go-scott-lake

https://soundcloud.com/rockstar_not/heading-back

https://soundcloud.com/rockstar_not/catching-up

https://soundcloud.com/rockstar_not/pavanica-scott-lake

Veteran
Veteran
Cakewalk by BandLab has two ProChannel presets for stereo drums. However, there are four additional presets suitable for individual drum tracks sent through a bus.

If you want to get an idea of what drum plug-in programs offer, try using the drum plug-in included with Cakewalk by BandLab, Studio Drums, which is part of the Studio Instruments suite.

The Studio Instruments GUI includes many drumkits and patterns so you can practice and learn how to use such tools for free since you already have it.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard01.jpg (76.83 KB, 58 downloads)
Cakewalk by BandLab ProChannel drum presets.
Clipboard02.jpg (66.69 KB, 58 downloads)
Studio Instruments Drumkits
Clipboard03.jpg (125.81 KB, 58 downloads)
Studio Instrument Drums Interface

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Journeyman
Journeyman
Jim,

I have the free version of Cakewalk. I have not found these dropdowns on it. Maybe I just overlooked them.

Does anyone know if these drums available on the free version?

2b

Veteran
Veteran
BandLab calls Studio Instruments Suite an add-on.
Open Bandlab Assistant
Select "Apps" tab
Select the down arrow next to the Cakewalk by BandLab "Open" button
Pop-up sub menu displays
Select "Install Add-ons ..."
Pop-up sub menu displays
Check "Studio Instruments Suite"
Select Install button.

Note: The Melodyne selection is a time limited free trial. If you install it there is no way to uninstall it. You can get the same thing from the Celemony website.

I have not installed Drum Replacer or Theme Editor. Theme Editor allows you to modify the Cakewalk by BandLab interface colors. Drum Replacer tries to identify drum hits and lets you replace existing sounds with other sounds of your choice. I haven't played with either.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard01.jpg (148.16 KB, 35 downloads)
Open BandLab Assistant Select "Apps" Left click on down arrow beside Open CbB button Select "Add-ons" Select Studio Instruments Suite

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Journeyman
Journeyman
Thanks, Jim.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,560
Posts734,413
Members38,491
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
VIPBET사설토토, GlebeGreg, michel vermeulen, Mikanh132, ABE
38,491 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 184