Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I wonder if anyone can advise if I'm doing something wrong. I want to select a custom MIDI style and add it to a track.

1: I right-click on the empty Melody track and choose 'Select custom MIDI style for this track'

2: I want a Slow String patch, so I choose Slow Strings as the Patch and then press 'Choose Style with this patch' (Figure 1)

3: I select 'BOSANEW' as the style which clearly shows it has a Strings track using Slow Strings. I press OK (Figure 2).

4: I now need to select which track I want to use from BOSANEW.STY. However, in the drop-down there is no Strings track. The tracks that are shown are actually the names of the tracks in my already existing song, not the ones in BOSANEW.STY (Figure 3).

5: It now gets more complicated/weirder. I now get a message that 'Slow Strings is on Guitar 2 track of Style BOSANEW' and 'it will be placed on the track that you chose: Flute. This is OK'. (Figure 4) When or how did I choose Flute? I had chosen to put it on the Melody track. There was never a track named Flute.

6: I press OK and it places the MIDI patch on the Melody track and labels it 'Strings' (Figure 5). I wrongly think I've succeeded.

7: I generate the song and it renames the Strings track to Flute and doesn't have any MIDI data. It is an empty track (Figure 6)

I've watched the online video and read the help and I believe I'm doing this correctly. Any advice? Can anybody see an error in my workflow?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2019-09-22_16-50-35.jpg (57.98 KB, 125 downloads)
2019-09-22_16-52-40.jpg (93.82 KB, 125 downloads)
2019-09-22_16-55-28.jpg (79.35 KB, 125 downloads)
2019-09-22_17-04-36.jpg (26.56 KB, 125 downloads)
2019-09-22_17-15-17.jpg (229.14 KB, 125 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Expert
Expert
Hi Video Track.

I think you problem stems from the fact that you are trying to use the melody track.
This is not part of the original style and you are in fact trying to load 2 styles at once one on the style tracks and another on the melody track.

I would have thought you should be loading the custom midi style to the style track that you want to replace then choosing which track from the custom style to use as a replacement for your original style track that you are inserting on.
I may be be quite wrong I have not tried this but it seems logical to me.
As this keeps the style tracks where they should be the first 5 tracks, and the melody free for melody notes.

Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Veteran
Veteran
What you are trying to do actually sounds like a good idea. I remember doing something similar a few years back with moderate success. The trick was you can not assign a midi patch to a track in a style which does not initially have midi data assigned to it. So the idea of moving over midi data from a track from a different style sounds like the thing to do.

Then more recently there was a video where new features were apparently added which made this appear like it would be easy-peasy. So I just now spent 20 minutes giving it a go as you indicated. I get the same results - kinda a mess. So there must be another way. If I get a little more time today, I will look for the video and/or type a different approach and see what I can get.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mike Head

.. you should be loading the custom midi style to the style track that you want to replace then choosing which track from the custom style to use as a replacement for your original style track that you are inserting on.

Mike

Mike, on first read this sounds like crazy BIAB-speak. grin But you may have it with the Melody track. This track has always been different and may be the culprit here. I can tell you some of the initial issues I see is the track naming convention which assigns different names to the tracks (original BIAB track naming versus name of the instrument on the track) - this can be very confusing.

Dan

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mike Head
Hi Video Track.
I think you problem stems from the fact that you are trying to use the melody track...

Mike, thanks for stepping in and your response is genuinely appreciated.
I would have thought that by now (2019), if I could not use the melody track for this task, then the option would have been disabled, or at least a reasonable warning would have been provided. Instead, it was absolutely accepting to allow me to proceed. I'm intrigued.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2019-09-22_23-14-36.jpg (142.86 KB, 96 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
It looks so simple in this 2019 video. It may be the Melody track as Mike suggested... the demo uses the Strings Track

Capture.JPG (39.08 KB, 94 downloads)

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
The trick was you can not assign a midi patch to a track in a style which does not initially have midi data assigned to it. So the idea of moving over midi data from a track from a different style sounds like the thing to do.

Dan, you're on the money here. I have gotten it to work before, but it is totally hit-and-miss. That clue about having some MIDI data already on the track might be the clue.

Meanwhile, absolutely nothing I have read states that a user cannot add a MIDI style to a melody track. After all, that track is designed for MIDI, no?

I am beginning to think this is a programmatical issue (note how I'm careful with my terminology wink )

Veteran
Veteran
I still suspect it may be user-workflow. Even the demo shows multiple ways to complete this task. I am getting my second cup of coffee now, wife still sleeping I plan to duplicate a different workflow from the demo and see if I can get this to work, if time permits. grin

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Dan, yes, this is one of the videos that I reviewed also (several times). Note that nothing is disabled for the Melodist or Soloist tracks. Every track is available to be selected for use.

2019-09-22_23-45-28.jpg (55.19 KB, 86 downloads)

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I still suspect it may be user-workflow. Even the demo shows multiple ways to complete this task. I am getting my second cup of coffee now, wife still sleeping I plan to duplicate a different workflow from the demo and see if I can get this to work, if time permits. grin

Dan, I hope the wife is really tired. All help is appreciated. Big grin

Veteran
Veteran
Worked first time on the Strings track ....!!

Watch the video to get the concept.

I had a BIAB Retrack Style (all RTs). I inserted a Orchestral Strings midi track over the RT on the Strings track with only a couple clicks of the mouse straight from the mixer menus.

Not sure if it mattered, but I unchecked this box... Just too often confusing for me to deal with it.

Capture.JPG (40.07 KB, 83 downloads)
Last edited by MusicStudent; 09/22/19 03:51 AM.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Worked first time on the Strings track ....!!

Yep. The Strings track being one of the first 5 tracks?

Veteran
Veteran
So have you got it going?

If so, not a "programmatical issue" after all. This is just how BIAB works. It can drive newbees crazy while older veterans just scratch their heads. I do believe cooler heads prevailed in this instance. grin

Expert
Expert
Hi

Well it seems then it is as I said you must use a style track.
The first 5 tracks are considered to be the style tracks , after all if you you disable the style in a song it only disables the first 5 tracks, the melody track and the soloist and audio if present still play.You cant make a six track style by putting a style track on the melody track.

So it seems to me if your want to modify a style then you have to modify a style track.

Just my take,
Mike

Last edited by Mike Head; 09/22/19 04:10 AM.

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Veteran
Veteran
Hope we are not premature in our conclusion. But it look like you hit the nail on the Head Mike.

Capture.JPG (35.35 KB, 70 downloads)

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Can't disagree with anything mentioned except that if I can't 'Assign a custom MIDI style' to the Melodist or Soloist tracks, then those tracks simply shouldn't be available for this function. No?

I'm going to report it. Hopefully they can fix it. Why waste two unused tracks?

2019-09-22_23-45-28.jpg (56.46 KB, 73 downloads)

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Mike and Dan, thanks. You found the reason, but <groan> the underlying problem clearly is in the program code itself. There is no reason that those tracks are unusable for that function, and clearly nothing prevents them from being used, but try using them and the results are completely awry.

There are other underlying problems also. If I try to place the custom style on a RealTrack instead (as suggested), it still gives me the choice of the names of the existing RealTracks in my song instead of the name of the track from the custom style. Check it out:

This entire feature is riddled with issues. More work required. I don't think we actually won, yet. But you better believe that your input is thoroughly appreciated smile .

2019-09-23_00-31-04.jpg (96.95 KB, 63 downloads)

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Can't disagree with anything mentioned except that if I can't 'Assign a custom MIDI style' to the Melodist or Soloist tracks, then those tracks simply shouldn't be available for this function. No?

I'm going to report it. Hopefully they can fix it. Why waste two unused tracks?

There are more than just two wasted MIDI tracks. As you probably know my pet peeve with BiaB is that all of the MIDI tracks are preassigned. I really want all 16 MIDI tracks open for the user. If this were the case you would not be having your problem.

Note that there could be a radio button where one side would be as is now and the other side would be all MIDI tracks open for the user.

YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The other frustrating thing is that is actually hit-and-miss. Sometimes I can get it to work. Don't ask me why or how, but I can apply a custom MIDI style to the Melodist track.

2019-09-23_00-58-31.jpg (204.22 KB, 62 downloads)

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
There are other underlying problems also. If I try to place the custom style on a RealTrack instead (as suggested), it still gives me the choice of the names of the existing RealTracks in my song instead of the name of the track from the custom style. Check it out:

As pointed out - Turn off the "auto generate track labels" feature. A long time source of confusion.

But back to point, how did the inserted midi track work out for you? As you can tell, not many folks use this feature but I suspect it can be a cool idea.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,497
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195