User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
Hi, all:

Here's my latest collaboration with John Vaughan, who wrote these lyrics following the passing of a close friend. I'm determined to get better at mixing, so have sworn off taking on any new song projects until I YouTube myself to death on tutorials (lol), so be patient with me on this one. . . . but I think (and hope) it's well enough along to share. Thanks for the listen!

Here's the song:

Raise a Glass

Here are the lyrics:

Don’t want no flowers on my grave;
my life down on paper—the words will only fade.
Why not say those things to me when I’m still alive?
We’ve shared so many things, pal, now don’t be shy.

Let’s raise a glass to us today . . .
two old friends who go back a long way.
With a bond sealed with memories,
old friend, you mean a lot to me—
Who knows who will go and who will stay?
Let’s find a place to pass some time away,
and raise a glass to both of us today.

Poor preacher one day has to eulogize me
though I’ve been a stranger in his church most of my life;
see, when my time comes to go . . .
just say my friend wasn't perfect—he told me so.

Let’s find some place and drink the night away,

I don’t want you going all down hill.
Go find yourself a new best friend.
But I’ll tell you straight right now
it will never be the same somehow.
Damn, my eyes are watering again.

Let’s find a place and laugh the time away,

And here's the Band:

Drums: Shaker Even 8ths
Bass: Real 2488, Acoustic, Bowed Held
Guitar: Real 2936, Fingerpicking Folk Waltz Fintan
Guitar: Real 2533, Acoustic, Held Chords
Accordion: Real 1752, Rhythm Pop 8ths
Harp: Real 2775, Rhythm Celtic Waltz
Viola: Real 2336, Background Pop
Mandolin: Real 1875, Soloist County

(c)2019 John Vaughan/DJ Lekich

Deej56 #555773 09/20/19 08:51 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Really good vocal performance.
the mix is pretty tidy and the arrangement is cool.
the one thing that bothered me most is what seems like a constant pick scrap on one of the guitars.
It's actually the shaker but there's something strident in it that sounds like a pick scrape.
Nice lyric - excellent melody.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Deej56 #555803 09/21/19 04:01 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Online Content
Expert
Hi Deej,
This is a nice waltz about a sensitive subject. Christian

Deej56 #555810 09/21/19 04:38 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
This is really, really beautiful and sensitively done, for me at least. Just one small quibble: in some of the D major chords (towards the beginning), one guitar seems to often play a G natural (instead of an F sharp, perhaps?) Anyway, the foreign note jars a little, to my ears at least, that's all. It's a small quibble, but it happened about two or three times, that's why I thought I'd mention it. If it's deliberate - my apologies, haha ... it's just that it broke the spell a little for me. Otherwise - a really well and, again, sensitively done piece - good job!

EDIT: forget the quibble. Listening again - it seems to be a deliberate chord progression after all. Apologies - that's what happens when one comments after only one listen ...

Last edited by musician17; 09/21/19 04:42 AM.
Deej56 #555813 09/21/19 05:25 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Man, the older we get and the more we see friends pass on the more contemplative songs like this get.

It's an obvious heartfelt write and vocal performance. Nice touch with the falsetto.

The light touch with the backing tracks helps accent the soulful vocal and the lyric.

Nice band and mix!

Well done and may he RIP.

J&B

Deej56 #555960 09/22/19 08:15 AM
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Really fantastic tune!! Lyrics are beautiful and you completely did them justice....melody and vocal could not have fit better!! Wonderful vocal performance! This is a VERY moving song!! Take care. Greg

Deej56 #555982 09/22/19 09:32 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej,

A nice song.

Your choice of backing works well for it and carries the sentiment nicely.

Your vocal on this is really well done. Nicely recorded and processed. Crisp and clear, but still "warm"....

Good mix all around.

fj

Deej56 #556104 09/23/19 05:06 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Touching lyrics in an enjoyable warm and lush arrangement, I especially like how the viola brings color. Your excellent vocal delivery amazes me once again.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

Deej56 #556138 09/23/19 09:05 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Loved the vocal. Super backtrack. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
Deej56 #556144 09/23/19 10:48 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Deej,

You and John have some mighty fine collaborations and this sits comfortably alongside the best of them. I found the lyrics very visual as I listened. And as always, your singing is 24 carat gold.

I enjoyed the journey.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Deej56 #556198 09/23/19 07:56 PM
User Showcase
B
Expert
Expert
B
'Deej56'...

Right off the bat, the lyrics of Raise A Glass take center stage. The tone and the rhythm of them, the ease with which they flow, complement and connect to each other -- what I have learned is called 'prosody' -- is ear-catching, startling. It caused me to sit up straight to listen to them being sung.

And then, there's the emotional impact of the lyrics, the way they describe the commonality of the feelings we experience as we cope with the phenomenon of death, the way they validate the sentiments we express to console ourselves and others as we grieve and become lost in nostalgia for the dead. It's all true, man, every last single word of it -- to my ears and heart, at least.

The Real 'Band' is simply stunning in its artificially intelligent musicality, as it becomes one with the mood of the lyrics. This is as much a testimonial to your compositional skills as it is yet another head-shaking affirmation of the ever-increasingly 'real-sounding' instrumental accompaniment that Band in a Box produces.

It's powerfully obvious to me that you can't help but sing from your soul. Your voice has a unique character, sound, and style. You may as well be speaking, so easily do you communicate the meaning of Mr. Vaughan's lyrics. The vocal harmonies are haunting and soothing at the same time.

I raise my glass to your talents, and for sharing them with us, 'Deej56'.

Really impressed,

- bluage -

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".
Deej56 #556215 09/24/19 12:11 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Great lyric. Very natural and conversational. You deliver it well and with a melody that is both fresh and comfortable. The band is just enough. With so many tracks, I was expecting "bigger", but your production and mix kept it simple...something not always easy to do.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
Deej56 #556236 09/24/19 04:58 AM
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Nicely done smile A solidly executed waltz. It flows effortlessly and is beautiful and tender. A fine example of 'less is more' - I liked that you gave it lots of breathing room. It manages to sound lush and full without being crowded.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Really fantastic tune!! Lyrics are beautiful and you completely did them justice....melody and vocal could not have fit better!! Wonderful vocal performance! This is a VERY moving song!! Take care. Greg

+1!

Deej56 #556350 09/25/19 03:00 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Sensational lyrics, Sensational presentation.

This could be something Dillon might have delivered.

Fantastic!

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Deej56 #556387 09/25/19 06:28 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej,
A very good write that rings true all the way through- love the hint of humour that`s there to balance the sadness.
The Fintan guitar track is great - and using a hold to emphasise the falsetto parts a nice touch.
As always your vocal is expressive and unique... processing sounding warm and clear.

Robert

Deej56 #556822 09/28/19 05:30 AM
User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
Ray, James, J&B, Greg, Floyd, Janne, Scott, Noel, blueage, Tangmo, Deryk, Josie, videotrack, Robert:

Thanks all for the listen and glad you enjoyed it. Sounds like the mix was closer to OK than I thought . . . oh well, blind squirrel and all smile Really appreciate the kind feedback and support.

Ray: Not sure I’m hearing the “pic scrape”, but I’ll need to put on the headphones and give it a closer listen—and then figure if there’s something I can do about it.

James: Yes, the chord change in the last measure before the chorus (which is where I think you are referencing) is intentional—although I likely could have kept it playing a single chord (can’t quite remember what key I ended up playing in this version, but it’s F, G when I play it on guitar—I could just play the F).

bluage: Your feedback is too kind . . . but really appreciated. Thanks.

My kind regards to all,

Deej

Deej56 #556839 09/28/19 06:41 AM
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Fantastic vocal performance. Well crafted, mixed, and produced song. I liked the vocal "oohs" going into the end of the song.
I did hear the "pick scrap" thing that Ray mentioned, but I think it was only because I was subconscious of it after reading his comment. Enjoyed listening.

Deej56 #557458 10/02/19 08:30 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Back for another raise of the glass...we very much like this song.

J&B

Deej56 #557549 10/03/19 12:47 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
What a great song!

Excellent writing, and man, that vocal! Just outstanding.

Mix sounds good to me, well done.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,461
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195