Page 1 of 2 1 2
#549194 08/13/19 07:17 AM
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
For years, I've been switching off between musescore and sibelius because they were the notation softwares that I had heard of. I'm starting to look into other options. I found one called Forte (https://www.fortenotation.com/en/) and plan on installing the free trial. Has anyone used this, and do you have recommendations? Or have any suggestions on other notation software?

Veteran
Veteran
I've tried it. I think John Ford has also.

The only way you can know is to try the demo as you suggest. Everyone has preferences for how the software fits your workflow, and how intuitive it seems to you.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Forte is okay,but don't use it much. I generally migrate back to Noteworthy Composer, as it fits best for my workflow, is familiar (I've used it since the 1990's), and for its speed of entry using a mix of keyboard/mouse input. Doesn't support plugins or instrument libraries, but once you learn the shortcuts, you can do quite a lot with it. I also like how it handles lyrics. And it's not too expensive. It had friendly user forum as well. And the programmer often responds directly to user requests. It even supports a programmable language that lets you automate tasks that it doesn't perform natively.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
jford #549314 08/14/19 01:23 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jford
I generally migrate back to Noteworthy Composer, as it fits best for my workflow, is familiar (I've used it since the 1990's), and for its speed of entry using a mix of keyboard/mouse input.

Back in the day, this was one of my favorites ...

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Update: Forte is currently running a promo where you can get the full version for free. I tried the demo, but didn't play around with it much so I guess I'll use this as my way to try it out without worrying about money

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: pianowillbebach
Update: Forte is currently running a promo where you can get the full version for free. I tried the demo, but didn't play around with it much so I guess I'll use this as my way to try it out without worrying about money

pianowillbebach, Please give more information. Which (Basic, Home or Premium) full version is free? What web site is advertising the sale and how long does the sales last?

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
This?

FORTE FREE is a special gift from FORTE Notation just for you!
The free edition will give you limited access to the features of FORTE.
Try the FORTE FREE edition to see just how easy this notation program is!
For more software features, check out FORTE Basic or FORTE Home.
Click here to compare all four editions of FORTE.

FORTE Free is completely for free!

Download it now! https://www.fortenotation.com/en/products/writing-scores/forte-free/

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Whatever that was, the link does not work.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
DrDan #552037 08/30/19 04:08 PM
Veteran
Veteran
I don't think he means the demo.

In pianowillbebach's first post he stated,
Quote:
I found one called Forte and plan on installing the free trial.
In a follow up post he stated,
Quote:
Forte is currently running a promo where you can get the full version for free. I tried the demo, but didn't play around with it much

That's why I was asking for more details. I don't read notation so it's a moot issue for me but I know many forum users do read and write notation so I thought answers might benefit some one.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
There are several levels of Forte, and to my knowledge none has ever been free. They did apparently offer a basic version for free in that link but that promo appears to be over?

EDIT: It’s back - see below.

Last edited by Matt Finley; 08/31/19 02:16 PM.

Veteran
Veteran
The free offer is for Forte BASIC. I just saw it in my Facebook feed.

https://www.fortenotation.com/en/giveaway/

John

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

Veteran
Veteran
Yes, I see it too. It's Forte 10 Basic for free, and it runs until September 8.

https://www.fortenotation.com/en/giveaway/

Journeyman
Journeyman
I just noticed this thread. Wish I would have seen it before the expiry on Forte 10 Basic.

I've got a long history with this product. It used to be known as MidiSoft Studio. I bought a copy of it back in 2000 -- for about $60, as I recall. It was my first introduction into a notation-based sequencer, and to me it was the equivalent of discovering a word processor after writing longhand all my life. I took to it with a passion. I was running Studio on Win98 back in those days and it was kinda buggy. Between the inherent instability of Win98 and Studio's bugs, I learned to save my work early and often. This was the product I used to get my thoughts down into the computer for my first two albums. I used Cakewalk's Pro Audio 8 and later 9 to complete the projects. Back in those days, I had BiaB, and I used it for rhythm sections on a few tracks, but that was about the extent of its use.

I really liked Studio a lot, despite its bugs. But then MidiSoft went out of business, so there were no more bug fixes. Something like a couple years pass, and I notice Studio 6 is on the market, released by a new outfit that had bought the rights to it. Studio 6 was basically a bug fix of the earlier Studio, which was also v6, so sorta confusing. It worked pretty well, but by then I was running Win XP. XP broke Cakewalk's Pro Audio and Cakewalk never offered a fix. Instead they wanted everyone to upgrade to Sonar -- at a pretty steep price, as I recall. So I balked and it was years before I finally upgraded to Sonar. During this time, I was busy with a number of other projects and my musical output was just about nil, so Studio didn't get used much.

But this new outfit that had re-released Studio didn't last and the I'm seeing ads for Forte, and it sure looked like Studio to me. It was, in fact. The early version of Forte was scarcely different. Except this new German outfit was asking a lot for their product, so once again I balked. Even back then you could d/l a copy of Forte. But it was crippled. You couldn't save your work. I don't like this sort of crippling because you can't really get anything done. So I've always said "no thanks" to Forte, cuz I just didn't want to pay their inflated price. And then Forte started coming out with premium versions of Forte and these premium version were getting really expensive. So I've remained on the sideline, frustrated.

Why frustrated? Well, by Win7 or so, I found that I couldn't get Studio to run anymore. It would crash almost as soon as it would load. This was frustrating because I had dozens of files in Midisoft's *.mmm format, and I wasn't able to access any of them. And I couldn't do anything with them with Forte because it was crippled.

Until now. Forte Premium is being offered as the full program for a 14-day try out period. I doubt seriously I'm gonna buy it because it's too expensive, but I checked, and Forte still supports the old MidiSoft *.mmm format. I just d/l'd and installed it a little while ago, and I'm converting every single MidiSoft format file I can find to MIDI. So, I'm gonna get some mileage out of this product before it turns into a pumpkin.

Forte's interface is still very similar to Studio's. In a lot of ways, I feel like I've come home after a very long absence. Some of the menus and the general look of the console and staff views are all straight Studio -- but this version has a lot of additions. I've just touched the surface as to all it will do. It's definitely more full-featured than Studio, but you know -- I was able to get a lot done with that old product, so I'm wondering just how useful all this additional stuff is. I'll be sure to check it out pretty well before it expires, though.

So, here's my recommendation -- if you're into using musical notation to score out your music, this product is definitely worth considering. It's full-featured and easy to use. But the downside is the more full-featured versions are expensive, although those folks are starting to wise up. Forte Home is available for a reasonable $109. These days, I've been using Muse, which is free to download. I bought a copy of Notion a few years ago, and really didn't like it. But there are other products out there, like Sibelius (very expensive unless you're a student or educator), and Finale, which is a solid good product that's been around probably the longest. It can be picked up for as little as $99. I think a bit of test driving is in order. Each of these products has its own way of getting things done. Some may appeal to you and some may not. Me, I've always liked Studio -- well, Forte's interface, but a couple of the others are pretty good, too. Except Notion. Yuck.

Veteran
Veteran
Michael, I think that's really a very low price comparatively, and the upper versions can cost many hundreds.

When you convert to MIDI you will have all the notes but you will lose markings, text, and chord symbols. Still, it's better than starting over.

If your trial version supports export to Music XML, try saving to that format as well. You are more likely to get more of your full score transferred into other notation software.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Hey, Matt. Actually, I didn't use any of that stuff when I was writing the originals, so conversion to MIDI was all I needed, otherwise I would have converted to XML. I'm just so happy to finally have a way to get back my old files without having to pay through the nose to get them. These days I'm happy with Muse otherwise I'd seriously think about getting a copy of Forte Home. It's a comfortable interface for me.

Veteran
Veteran
Very good. I assume you mean MuseScore. It's an amazing product given that it's free.

Veteran
Veteran
Interestingly, Forte Premium (not sure about the other editions) includes Bandora, which gives you BIAB like MIDI accompaniment generation features. When I first launched it, I was surprised to find that it was actually the old Jammer Pro program (which hadn't been updated in what, over a decade or so) bolted on to Forte to create accompaniment parts in your notation program.

I've unfortunately been busy with so many other things that I haven't had a chance to see if the old Jammer Pro styles I had would work with Bandora. One of these days I'll test it, since I actually still have Jammer installed on my computer, but don't really use it (more just to play with it).

John

Journeyman
Journeyman
It includes Bandora and one other add-on, whose name escapes me at the moment. Both are free and available separately, according to one review I read.

Yes, Matt, I meant MuseScore.

Last edited by cooltouch; 09/25/19 07:09 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
The other program is the integrated ScanScore (ScanScore Pro is available as a separate purchase, although I think you get a better price on it if you have Forte Pro).

John

Veteran
Veteran
Thought I'd add another thought.

I see that Bandora is now available as a stand-alone version (not just as the Forte Notation Premium integrated version).

There are three versions, Bandora Arranger ($39), Bandora Creator ($89), and Bandora Producer ($169). Producer isn't available yet. I did confirm with Forte Notation support (Forte and Bandora are the same company, but use two different web sites), that if you currently own Forte Premium, it comes with the integrated Bandora Creator, so there is an upgrade price to Producer when it ultimately comes out that will be the difference in price between Creator and Producer ($80).

I also confirmed from Forte that Bandora is in fact based on the old Jammer Pro. They don't guarantee that old Jammer Pro styles will work with it, but suggested that I give it a try (which I will do after setting up a sandbox environment to do so).

I do find that the Forte user interface is somewhat non-intuitive, but I admit I haven't spent a lot of time with it. I'll have to figure out some shortcuts and go deeper into the help system, and then re-assess. Noteworthy Composer and Notion are still my go-to's for notation, but I do have Finale 26. I have an older version of Sibelius 7, but never upgraded when they went to a subscription model. They claim version 7 is not fully compatible with Windows 10, although I have installed and loaded it and it seemed to work, so it just may be some esoteric features that don't work. I use Finale mainly to work with Finale files I receive from other people. I certainly could just use Music XML files, but when I can I find that native format generally works better.

I certainly don't need all those notation programs, but once bought, the upgrades are cheap enough, so I keep them up to date.

John

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,451
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195