Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Expert
Expert
Hi all

For those of you following the sound font branch of this thread.
I have just created a PAT file for BIAB for the Timbres of Heaven sound font for you.
See my post in the main BIAB windows forum.
Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: berntd
No. I have to kill the application from the task manager.

Ok Berntd, it's time to get specific. I have two attachments at the bottom of this post Image 9 and 10. These are Screenshots I just took. Open Biab and go to the to the upper left and see the menu tab "Options". The first option is "Midi/Audio Drivers Setup". Click that and you see the window shown in Image 9. Make sure you've selected the Wavetable as your midi driver and you've checked the two boxes on the right "Use VST..." and "Route Midi...".

Right below that is where I have the "VSTsynthFont64" selected. Click that and you see my Image 10. In that window is where you select plugins starting with your synth at the top and you use the bottom 3 for effects. Here are my two screenshots:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screenshot (9).png (559.24 KB, 18 downloads)
Screenshot (10).png (555.49 KB, 17 downloads)

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
To followup. This forum software is very weird when it comes to posting attachments. The Preview does not show them so you can't tell where they're going to show up and then you can't write anything below where the attachments are.

You'll see others who can post the actual image directly into the forum. You need a separate website to host the image in order to do that. What I did was use the forum's attachment feature. When you click Reply or Quote you scroll down just a bit and below the reply window you see a link called File Manager. Click that and you see where you can browse to where you've saved a screenshot. Click on that then hit Add File.

If you still have problems after you set up your synth like I've shown then please take a screen shot of the same two windows and post them.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
Let me add picture # 3 to this fine collection. This shows how you insert different soundfont files to enhance the sounds.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture 1.JPG (157.54 KB, 240 downloads)

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
You'll see others who can post the actual image directly into the forum. You need a separate website to host the image in order to do that. What I did was use the forum's attachment feature. When you click Reply or Quote you scroll down just a bit and below the reply window you see a link called File Manager. Click that and you see where you can browse to where you've saved a screenshot. Click on that then hit Add File.

Bob, I did the same as you. No separate website hosting. I use a jpg format and the file is 158k. That may have something to do with the inconsistent behavior.

Also notice I have the updated version of VSTSynthFont64 and I have loaded Mikes Timbres of Heaven, and I have an SF file of my old favorite Coyte Forte DXi GM. I have been very very busy as of late.

Last edited by MusicStudent; 06/20/19 06:46 AM.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hello all,
May I respectfully request that we please keep this thread on the topic of the soundfonts and how to improve the MIDI sound.
It has started branching into different issues which makes it hard to read.

Regards
Bernt

Band in a Box
Latest: ULTRA 2020 (734) on Win 10
And: MEGA 2020 (720) on Windows 7

berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Originally Posted By: berntd
No. I have to kill the application from the task manager.

Ok Berntd, it's time to get specific. I have two attachments at the bottom of this post Image 9 and 10. These are Screenshots I just took. Open Biab and go to the to the upper left and see the menu tab "Options". The first option is "Midi/Audio Drivers Setup". Click that and you see the window shown in Image 9. Make sure you've selected the Wavetable as your midi driver and you've checked the two boxes on the right "Use VST..." and "Route Midi...".

Right below that is where I have the "VSTsynthFont64" selected. Click that and you see my Image 10. In that window is where you select plugins starting with your synth at the top and you use the bottom 3 for effects. Here are my two screenshots:

@jazzmammal

My setup looked exactly like your screenshot until a few minutes ago. I think that is the default setting it came with.
I am not sure what you are trying to get me to do from there?

Regarding your screen 9:

Can you please tell me what the MIDI Output driver setting does in relation to the Use VSTi setting using the Synthfont64?

I installed the Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth and it appears under MIDI Output driver in screen 9. But when I select it instead of the Microsoft GS wavetable synth (screen 9), I still see all the same stuff in screen 10 as before.

It is unclear to me as to what the path of the MIDI to audio is in all these setup options.

@Musicstudent Dan,
I cannot follow what your picture is trying to show me. I see it but no idea where that setup screen comes from nor how you got to that point.

Best regards
Bernt

setting screen 9.jpg (261.05 KB, 198 downloads)
setting screen 10.jpg (280.79 KB, 198 downloads)
Last edited by berntd; 06/20/19 08:42 PM.

Band in a Box

berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
@DeaconBlues09 and group

If you are still here...
I have installed the free Kontakt-Player. I have a piano loaded and in the plug in version from BIAB MIDI setup, I can play the virtual keyboard and hear sound ok.

But there is no input from BIAB. I have the Piano set to Kontakt-Player but the piano does not play nothing.

In Kontakt, there is no MIDI input option showing in the MIDI settings.
Any idea how I can get Kontakt to accept MIDI input from BIAB?

Kontakt setting 1.jpg (272.5 KB, 171 downloads)
Last edited by berntd; 06/21/19 02:18 AM.

Band in a Box

Veteran
Veteran
You have a midi channel mismatch. You have Kontakt monitoring Channel 1 but BIAB piano is on Channel 3.

Bass 2
Piano 3
Melody 4
Thru 5
Guitar 6
Strings 7
Soloist 8

Quote:
In Kontakt, there is no MIDI input option showing in the MIDI settings.
It is there in your picture, MidiCh [A] 1

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
@Musicstudent Dan,
I cannot follow what your picture is trying to show me. I see it but no idea where that setup screen comes from nor how you got to that point.

Hit the Options button in your second picture and all will be revealed. This is where you replace the system GM with soundfonts.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Set the channel to "Omni" instead of "[A] 1" in Kontakt, or instead force to channel 1 instead of "none" in the drop down tab of the BiaB plugin dialogue box.

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Expert
Expert
HI Berntd

Don’t forget we took the tick out of use vst, to play sound fonts you will need that back if you are using Kontakt as it is a vsti.
As I said earlier Kontakt does not have a set of gm voices ready loaded .
Each voice has to be loaded in Kontakt and matched to the BIAB channel for that track.
You can see these BIAB channel numbers if you go to options/preferences/channels

You may well find it easier to insert separate instances of Kontakt for each track, that you want to use a Kontakt voice on.
Rather than set up a multi. That way you can set Kontakt input channel to omni for each instance and the it wont matter what channel BIAB sends on.
Mike

Veteran
Veteran
Here is a clue. Get the soundfonts working first. That will give you the better sounds in the easiest manner. Then jump into the deep end of the pool by working with Kontakt. Just a suggestion.

Veteran
Veteran
Yes, I was about to post the same thing. You're experienced with programming and have some understanding of midi so you should understand what I'm saying here. When you're having a problem with software you have to carefully narrow it down by keeping it simple and testing one thing at a time. Don't be suddenly jumping around until you've finished testing a previous thing. So let's back up a minute.

In your very first post you said the midi styles sounded terrible. That aside were you at least hearing all of the instruments? What were you using for your synth? The Coyote Wavetable or the VSTsynthfont?

My point is your screens look correct to me so the question is what changed? I don't have the technical answer as to how midi is routed through Biab because I don't care. All I know is do it this way and it works.

I have the answer for you getting no sound when you try to play piano through Kontakt but lets get past this first.

Bob

berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Ladies and Gentlemen....Drum roll...

We have lift-off!

I now have the Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth working with the Timbre of Heaven font.

I also now have the Kontakt-Player playing that piano channel. (Oh boy, I need instruments {rubbing hands}!!)
That is great progress I reckon!

However, the 2 are mutually exclusive at this stage by the Use VSTi/DXI Synth tickbox in the MIDI driver setup.

Regards
Bernt

Last edited by berntd; 06/21/19 04:24 PM.

Band in a Box

W
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
W
You can use a vsti host on BB or use the midi out and a daw for to use more vsti on different chanel.

berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: Willy6996
You can use a vsti host on BB or use the midi out and a daw for to use more vsti on different chanel.

If I knew that bit of info at the beginning, this would have been a lot easier...

Band in a Box

Expert
Expert
HI

YOU can mix and match your default vsti with your Kontakt synth in the same BIAB song project.
You friend here is the Plugins window.
In here you can send some tracks to the default synth and some to instances of Kontakt inserted on other tracks.
Note the easiest way to do this is to first put a tick in the box in midi settings and chose what you want for your default vst dxi

Bring up the plug in window
The instrument and tracks are down the left hand side and correspond with the mixer
The bottom item is to set your default synth you must put this in the top slot on the right see pic1. All your tracks will use this unless you tell them otherwise individually.

If you want to use Kontakt say on the melody or any other track, click on that individual track down the left hand side of the plugins window and insert Kontakt for that track in the top slot on the right to overwrite the default for that track only see pic 2
The mixer will reflect your view.

Note I am working with an all midi style here for simplicity that’s why all text in the mixer tracks are yellow , but you can of course use realtracks on any track.
You will only be able to use your Kontakt to replace realtracks that have midi transcription for the real tracks.
But why would you want to if you like the sound of the realtrack.

To edit or set up your inserted Kontakt at a later date you can get access to the interface by bringing up the plugins window and choosing the track on the left.
Its easier than it reads!
Mike

1 default s.jpg (100.03 KB, 161 downloads)
kontakt.jpg (89.06 KB, 162 downloads)
Last edited by Mike Head; 06/22/19 01:42 PM. Reason: extra info on realtracks

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Mike Head, very good explanation. Thanks.

Expert
Expert
Hi Mike,

I have been following this thread because I also wanted to try MIDI instead of just Real Tracks.

I am most impressed with your recommended Coolsoft and Timbre of Heaven Font solution - nice sounds - thanks.

However I'm testing it with a mixed Real Tracks and Midi BIAB Style called:

=ARET_BE.STY

and the MIDI instruments are now way out of time with the real tracks (they were previously in time using Coyote Synth).

Any suggestions?

Thanks & Best Regards
Nigel

Nigel Spiers
Christchurch, New Zealand
info@nzacoustics.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,307
Posts731,355
Members38,410
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DJ Jazzy Jimbob, PatSar63, danidatoad, resower, Nicholas -PG Music
38,410 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 213