Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
RealBand
jonel Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I just love the help provided by RealBand in detecting and displaying the chords of a midi song when it is loaded. I thought how nice it would be if it also displayed the likely key of the song as well.
The information does give me a fantastic steer but are there any tips in getting the key quickly?

Thanks

RealBand
Expert
Expert
Hi Jonel

If I simply OPEN a midi file in Realband.
It ask to split to separate tracks if type 0, this of course I do,
Both the key and meter and tempo are displayed at the top of the page, both in chord sheet view and track view .
As a mater of interest you will normally find the first chord in the song is the key.
And the last chord, if it has not been taken up a semitone to give a lift for the repeat.
Just my thoughts. See pics.
Mike

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
key track.jpg (156.72 KB, 103 downloads)
key_chord.jpg (119.29 KB, 81 downloads)
Last edited by Mike Head; 09/27/19 02:40 PM.

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Mike,
In your first image, what does the line between the key and measure 4 indicate?
That one lost me.
If the line were between the key and measure 3 it would make more sense to me. The chords/key match this way and that's the first measure of the song (as you referenced).
But the image is connecting the key to measure 4 .. confused me.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
jonel Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi Mike,
I appreciate what you say and I did think that this was meant happen. However, a couple of things tend to mess up the detection process and that is when there is a modulation in the song (and this is quite often) and so it is not really possible to come up with an actual key. The couple of times that I did get the key reported back correctly was when there was no modulation. With a modulated song the key was simply reported as 'C'.

The beginning chord is often not the key of a song though, especially with an intro but I understand the last chord. But you have definitely clarified a few things for me here.

When I came across a modulated song I pushed it across to Ableton where In could use the 'fold' feature and determine where the key changed.

Thank you very much.

RealBand
Expert
Expert
HI rharv

Sorry bad mouse it should have been just an ARROW to indicate the key box. Now sorted.
Mike

Last edited by Mike Head; 09/27/19 02:41 PM.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
wink Now I get it

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
jonel Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Mike,
I'm not sure that RealBand realy can detect the key properly from pure midi information. Following on from what you said about this feature I tried a wide range of midi files, but the majority simply showed up with a key of 'C' which was clearly incorrect. I thought it may have to do with the modulation in the channels that were being used for detection and this really would have been a problem as I mentioned in previous reply.

In desperation I cut the midi down to just 3 bars with a key that is clearly G. The chord view and the track view are shown below, but the key still resolves to C.

There were occasions when a key other than C was shown but, for the life of me, I can't see any connection here.

Pedrhaps you might advise on the pics below please?

RealBand
Expert
Expert
HI

I have just research this a bit on Google ,

It seems as Midi notes are in fact just note number that corresponds to a note
eg midi note 60 middle C midi note 69 concert pitch A (440 Hz)
so therefore would have no way of telling whether the note would be the first or 5th or any other interval of a scale.

However there is a key signature" meta-event but this is optional and may not be present in all midi files,

Quote from Google search composite:

“My understanding is that MIDI files use fixed numbers/names for all notes, as shown e.g. in this chart. At the same time, MIDI has a "key signature" meta-event. What's the purpose of the key signature information?

It won't go out the midi port to your keyboard, but the midi sequencer programs that display notation need it if they're going to show the music in standard notation. It's also helpful if you're a composer and want to know what the key is. Without it, a C4 might be the I, or might be the fifth or somewhere else in the key. You could generally guess based on the notes you have assuming it's western music, but the key signature makes it concrete.

Many DAWs can also take MIDI data and display it not only as event lists or piano-roll notation but also as standard music notation. But in order to do that accurately, it's helpful if the Standard MIDI File indicates key signatures, so the DAW can figure out whether pitches should be labelled as flat notes or sharp notes in the display.

If somebody who creates a Standard MIDI File wants to label it with a key signature, or wants to label different sections within the song with different key signatures, isn't that a desirable and useful piece of information? The Standard MIDI File specification supports that feature, so musicians use it.

Many DAWs utilize this to automatically transpose the MIDI notes in case you change the key after you composed it. For ex, if you composed a song in C, and you change the key signature in your DAW to D, all the notes will be transposed and played appropriately.”

This would explain your problem.
Mike

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
More downloaded midi files crap. If the original author failed to set the key, every sequencer in the world defaults to C. Same with tempo, it defaults to 120. Many midi files are played live and if the player simply starts playing with no metronome he would not notice the tempo was set to 120, you can play any tempo. And people forget to set the key all the time.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
RealBand doesn't detect the key of the song; it just uses whatever key signature (which may or may not be the key of the song) was set in the MIDI file, which by default is C.

Of course, you can change it as you wish.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
RealBand
jonel Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi Mike,
Not really (explain the problem that is). The midi notes are what they are for the song. No matter what octave a note belongs to, it will still belong to the same chord. The chords themselves are being correctly detected and displayed. It's just the key that isn't correct.

Now the manual doesn't really say the it does actually detect the key - I was just hoping that this might be the case. Also, as I said in an earlier post, if the song contains more than one key (for example through modulation) then it is not possible to arrive at a key for the whole song anyway. I thought the chord wizard might have given me the ability to detect a partial song, but i doesn't. That's why I reduced the the song to just where I knew the key was definitely 'G' and there was no means of picking up notes that would have 'confused' the process. My guess is that it simply doesn't do it.

I do thank you though for the work you have done in trying to resolve the issue. Being able to detect the chords is an enormous benefit anyway and its not too difficult to find the key from there.

John

RealBand
jonel Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi All,
I'm really grateful for the interest and comments on this topic. Before I started looking at this issue I was well aware of how the mid file may contain (or may not) the details of key and tempo etc. What prompted my initial post was that since the auto chord wizard can easily detect all the chords then it might have been possible to at least point to a likely key. The more I thought about it the more I realised that this was not really possible.

John

RealBand
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: jonel
Hi All,
I'm really grateful for the interest and comments on this topic. Before I started looking at this issue I was well aware of how the mid file may contain (or may not) the details of key and tempo etc. What prompted my initial post was that since the auto chord wizard can easily detect all the chords then it might have been possible to at least point to a likely key. The more I thought about it the more I realised that this was not really possible.

John

Hi Jonel

Yes that what I meant when I said although it cant tell if the note it detected is the 1st in the scale ( the tonic ) or the 3rd 5th or whatever scale interval. It just a note, E could be the tonic of the E or the third of C
Chord detection is easier because if you have C E G at the same time then it will be C which ever order they are in it be an inversion of C.

This is why any key sig info has to be written as meta data.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Head; 09/28/19 02:15 PM.

RealBand
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Tip for getting the key and tempo quickly:

Render the midi file to audio and analyze that audio file using the Audio Chord Wizard. It will provide the key signature, tempo and chords usually within 4 measures.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
MIDI data is note based. Chord data or chord detection are not part of the MIDI standard.

2019 is a transitional year for the MIDI standard. The MIDI standard is being updated from MIDI 1 to MIDI 2. Presently a preliminary MIDI 2 standard has been published so hardware that supports the standard can be developed and released. However the standard has not been finalized as testing may reveal wording may need to be modified to ensure consistent interpretation of the standard.

There is nothing in the proposed MIDI 2 standard addressing support for MIDI chord data or chord detection.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,581
Posts734,682
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200