Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
A few months ago, Steve Young posted a song about his father who had passed. I lost my father about 3 and a half years ago, and could relate to the pain of that loss. I wrote him a PM and linked him to a song I posted around then which was inspired by the painful realization that my dad was quickly going downhill. Steve told me how much he liked the song and that he would like to do an arrangement. I said......well, let's see......YES,YES, YES!!! You see, I have always been a big fan of Steve's work, as a writer, arranger, and artist. So, this is his arrangement and mix of that song. Some of you have heard the original post. BTW, if you have not heard Steve's latest post, Quarter to Nine, you should......it's AWESOME!!!! Steve and I would love to know what you think. Take care. Greg

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/theres-a-road-with-steve-young

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Greg & Steve.

WOW. Goosebumps. (What else would we expect from a collaboration of two of the best).

The arrangement and mix bring out your vocal like it should be. Pure Shine. The ebb and flow of the the arrangement lets the words being sung shine, as well.

This is just purr STUNNING. What more need be said?

Good as it gets.

fj

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Stunning. It's late here and I should be in bed, but I saw this post and just had to listen. I may comment in depth in the morning, but, for now, let me just say this ...

Tears in my eyes. Beautiful. Stunning. So moving.

One thing ... can you at all post the lyrics by any chance? They sound so, so beautiful and I'd love to be able to read them as well as listen, if possible ... only if possible.

Thank you so much for posting this. I will listen again in the morning, but ... this is definitely one of the very best I've heard you post on here.

EDIT: it's now morning and I've listened again. Tears in my eyes - beautiful. A classic of its kind. Can't praise it enough and don't know how to. Well done to both of you.

Last edited by musician17; 09/29/19 08:54 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Greg and Steve,

Every way I listen to this song, it sounds outstanding.

I remember it from a few years ago. I was impressed then and now I'm impressed all over again.

The writing is first class and this arrangement of Steve's lifts the song to soaring heights. Everything about this presentation -- arrangement, vocals, mix, production -- takes the listener on a most wonderful journey of musical mastery and musical listenability.

Congratulations to you both on an outstanding result. You've shown us all what BIAB makes possible in the collaborative hands of two of the forums most talented artists.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
W
Expert
Expert
W
What a fine and beautiful song!

Your song just made my day much better... it is such a great melody and chord progression. The arrangement and mixing is top class!

I feel blessed that I got to listen to this song... what a threat!

Will

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hey Greg, I really appreciate the opportunity to work on such a special song! You know I am a fan of your work, and this one is special to me. When you sent the link of it to me, I really was touched by it, and I'm so glad you were willing to let me have a part in keeping it alive. I hope everyone enjoys it as well...

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
As floyd jane said: Wow.

The vocal, lyric, understated arrangement - come together to take me to that place only excellent music can take me. The arrangement is simple and subtle, and your vocals are achingly lovely.

laugh

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Greg & Steve ...

This is my first listen after a prolonged absence. And what a wonderful way to come back. This is simply amazing. The simplicity of the arrangement allows the vocal to shine (as all of Greg's do) ... but this is extra special. The arrangement is simple yet powerful. The fine touches Steve put on this are just the best. Perfect vocal, mix, arrangement and delivery.

My father died many years ago (1969) but you brought him back for a little while. Thank you. And the highest respect for a wonderful, professional presentation. It just doesn't get any better than this.

God Bless and wishing both of you the very best ...

Alan

Last edited by Al-David; 09/29/19 09:43 PM.

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The arrangement, (I'd love some detail as to BIAB parts and those played by the two of you), carried the vocal really well and, whilst lush in parts, avoids the mawkishness that could have destroyed the song. Excellent restraint by both of you.
Lovely.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Outstanding!

One of the best songs I have ever heard here, well done to both of you!

User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Brilliant.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Wow - you absolutely knocked this out of the park. Incredibly heartfelt and tender. The progressions, the vocals, the songwriting - all impeccable. It is stunning and beautifully delicate.

You should be very proud of this one - thanks for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Greg & Steve

Greg in your words "you knocked it out of the park".

Beautiful ballad, great sentiment, lovely singing and a superb arrangement.

A masterful collaboration,

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Greg & Steve,
A wonderful tribute - beautiful cadence to the melody matched by the subtly changing arrangement.
Vocals,well... simply superb.

Robert

User Showcase
Expert
Online Content
Expert
Hi Greg and Steve,
This is a very high quality song transmitting deep feelings.
Thank you for that !
Christian

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I'm not sure I want to sully the experience of listening to this with a "review". Let's just say it is moving, beautiful, and artfully presented. The both of you are are on my short list for "must listen", and this combination of talent is testament to why that is. Wonderful.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
That is absolutely gorgeous. I really like that it's piano based. It has a Jackson Brown vibe to it.

Loved it.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well, take two of the finest performers on the board and the outcome is more than deserving of ALL of the above accolades.

We like Ray's comment. Yes, it would be tempting for a lot of artists to go overboard on the vocal, arrangement and the backing tracks.

Having avoided that you two have produced a song that has that often hard to find sweet spot where there's nothing left to add and nothing left to take away.

The heart warming vocal and lyric is certainly something that the two of us can relate to. And Steve's arrangement and multiple tracks seem like they were just waiting for this song.

As we might say down here, "y'all done good!"

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
So professional sounding, as good as it gets, that last line leaves you with your heart ripped out. More of this!

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Greg & Steve.

WOW. Goosebumps. (What else would we expect from a collaboration of two of the best).

The arrangement and mix bring out your vocal like it should be. Pure Shine. The ebb and flow of the the arrangement lets the words being sung shine, as well.

This is just purr STUNNING. What more need be said?

Good as it gets.

fj

Thanks Floyd! Steve did a wonderful job on the production/arrangement! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Originally Posted By: musician17
Stunning. It's late here and I should be in bed, but I saw this post and just had to listen. I may comment in depth in the morning, but, for now, let me just say this ...

Tears in my eyes. Beautiful. Stunning. So moving.

One thing ... can you at all post the lyrics by any chance? They sound so, so beautiful and I'd love to be able to read them as well as listen, if possible ... only if possible.

Thank you so much for posting this. I will listen again in the morning, but ... this is definitely one of the very best I've heard you post on here.

EDIT: it's now morning and I've listened again. Tears in my eyes - beautiful. A classic of its kind. Can't praise it enough and don't know how to. Well done to both of you.

Thanks so much James! I will see if I can find the doc with the lyrics. Take care. Greg

User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Found the lyrics from the original post.

THERE'S A ROAD

There’s a road
That I walk past nearly every day
But I haven’t wandered off that way
Since I can’t remember when
But today
Gonna take my time and walk that way
Cause I know this sweet and sunny day
Is never gonna come again

It’s such a shame
All the time we waste inside our heads
With things we’re dreamin’ of, and the things we dread
Most of which will never be
And all the while
Still the train is runnin’ down the track
It’s never, ever coming back
And there’s so much here to see

We all arrive with nothing
Travelers on this foreign land
Create our fragile kingdoms
Like castles in the sand
We strive to reach our pinnacles
Of prominence and pride
Then lie down on the sand
To await the rising tide

There’s a road
That someday each of us must walk alone
Our lonely footsteps on the hard, cold stone
And there ain’t no goin’ back
But for now
I’m gonna wrap my arms around this place
Feel the magic of a warm embrace
Not regret the things I lack

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I remember the song Steve posted very well. This is a wonderful continuation and collaboration, with Greg taking a lead on theme. This is radio quality music, without commercial overkill. Music and lyrics are very sencere. Vocal performance and composition are top notch. Congrats to both of you on this beautiful tune!

Misha.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Greg & Steve !

I just heard this wonderful
tune and ...well, I´m out of
words ...completely awed by
everything about it !

Masterpiece just don´t seem
enough for this absolutely
sublime written, sung and
produced tune !

Congrats to both of you !

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Brilliant. As usual, your vocal is primo. This has hit written all over it.

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Awesome, beautiful song. Well done guys.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Thanks so much, Greg, for posting the lyrics up. They are SO beautiful - it's great to see them written down.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Absolutely awesome guys, Did you record this a while back Greg I remember commenting then, Both versions as I remember are Brilliant.

Its a Fantastic write and if a song should be picked up for a recording deal this is it.

This has got to be Your Candle In The wind ,Then you guys do it justice all over again.

Loved this.

Thanks

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

User Showcase
J
J
Great performance and production! Brings a tear to my eye.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Thanks so much for all the kind words from everyone on Greg's song. I think he hit a home run with this one. I very much enjoyed working on the arrangement.

Someone asked about RealTracks used in this one. On this version, there are no Band in a Box instruments used, although the song was crafted in BB. As anyone who is familiar with any of my work knows, I use a LOT of BB RealTracks and RealDrums. But on this particular arrangement, I wanted to play all the parts, only for the sake of complete control of the arrangement on this very special song (certainly not to show off my playing abilities). However, I think Greg would say the song probably would not have existed in its present form without the use of Band in a Box.

Greg's vocals are always very inspiring to me, and this is just another example of the purity and feel of his voice.

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Greg and Steve,

Every way I listen to this song, it sounds outstanding.

I remember it from a few years ago. I was impressed then and now I'm impressed all over again.

The writing is first class and this arrangement of Steve's lifts the song to soaring heights. Everything about this presentation -- arrangement, vocals, mix, production -- takes the listener on a most wonderful journey of musical mastery and musical listenability.

Congratulations to you both on an outstanding result. You've shown us all what BIAB makes possible in the collaborative hands of two of the forums most talented artists.

All the best,
Noel

Thanks so much for that great review Noel!! Always enjoy your reviews and your music! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Originally Posted By: Will Josef
What a fine and beautiful song!

Your song just made my day much better... it is such a great melody and chord progression. The arrangement and mixing is top class!

I feel blessed that I got to listen to this song... what a threat!

Will

Thanks Will for those extremely kind words!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Greg and Steve,

this is really outstanding; I'm totally caught by this song. It's so soulful, so brilliantly and modestly arranged. Greg, your singing is just far out. What a treat!

All the best,

Stefan

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Such a cool vocal Greg. Just loved this. Well done..

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
Greg (and Steve):

My word, how pretty this is. Greg, I’m so envious of your vocals on this . . . so soft, but with such depth. And the production . . . the vocal sits so well in the mix. Beautiful song, gents. So, so well done. Loved it!

My humble regards to both of you,

Deej

User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Hey Greg, I really appreciate the opportunity to work on such a special song! You know I am a fan of your work, and this one is special to me. When you sent the link of it to me, I really was touched by it, and I'm so glad you were willing to let me have a part in keeping it alive. I hope everyone enjoys it as well...

Wonderful to have you put your incredible arranging skills on my song Steve! THANK YOU!!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Originally Posted By: dcuny
As floyd jane said: Wow.

The vocal, lyric, understated arrangement - come together to take me to that place only excellent music can take me. The arrangement is simple and subtle, and your vocals are achingly lovely.

laugh

Thanks so much David for the listen and the kind words! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Greg & Steve ...

This is my first listen after a prolonged absence. And what a wonderful way to come back. This is simply amazing. The simplicity of the arrangement allows the vocal to shine (as all of Greg's do) ... but this is extra special. The arrangement is simple yet powerful. The fine touches Steve put on this are just the best. Perfect vocal, mix, arrangement and delivery.

My father died many years ago (1969) but you brought him back for a little while. Thank you. And the highest respect for a wonderful, professional presentation. It just doesn't get any better than this.

God Bless and wishing both of you the very best ...

Alan

Thanks so much Alan! I really appreciate your kind words! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Greg and Steve,

I think this is a very very strong, impressive song. It reminded me of Elton John.
You have a great voice, but you knew that already.
I like these kind of songs very much, although the lyrics make me feel sad for more than a while.

Thanks,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
Congratulations to you & Steve on a strong song & arrangement...
I really enjoyed listening...
Right now I'm listening to your old version from 3 years ago...
You should be proud of this write!

Jim
†=☮&♥
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Greg & Steve,

A wonderful tribute.
Very beautiful song.
Splendid vocal.
Great arrangement.
The orchestra instruments, especially the piano are wonderful.
It touched my heart deeply.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199