Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
C
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
C
Hello to all;

I made this short, easy listening instrumental this morning using as many different aspects of BIAB as I could squeeze into 32 bars.

This song uses 2 Real Styles, a midi Style and an instrument generated from a second midi style. There are a total of 14 instruments on twelve tracks that are a mixture of RealTracks, Hi-Q Midi and a regular midi track. The Midi synths used are Coyote WT and Sforzando that are native to BIAB. I blended two midi pianos with an acoustic RT piano and also rendered a midi piano, the piano twill heard several times throughout the song to audio and edited that complete piano track using BIAB's Audio Editor, eliminating all but the piano twill. I copied and pasted the twill riff into the specific measures I wanted them to play. Finally, I created a medley using a four instrument RT Medley selection.

I used PGMusic plug ins compressor, EQ, and Reverb on various instruments.

The song was created, rendered, mixed and tracks converted to Performance Tracks and Audio tracks to complete a stereo master track and exclusively used BIAB. I exported the master as a WAV and converted it to MP3 in Audacity.

To recap. This song is a mixture of RealStyles, Midi Styles, RealTracks, HiQ Midi, regular Midi instruments and a RealTrack 4 instrument Medly.

There's A Place

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Now that is getting under the hood and delivering big bang for the BIAB buck. The results are happy-making. Nice work.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Nice pleasant little tune Charlie!! Isn't BIAB great!! Well put together and mixed! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Charlie !

I loved your instro !
in fact it is really wonderful
it played on all the right
chords !

Congrats Charlie !

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow Charlie! What a cool concept for a project. Best of all, that song is GREAT! I think it's so cool that you were able to do what you did. YOU should what BIAB is really capable of with some effort; but simultaneously not needing "more toys" to pull it off.

The proof is in the song. And I'm really liking the song! Real tracks fool me all the time. In the right hands, like yours, it's hard not to be amazed.

Nice job pulling this off! And thank you for posting it. It makes me want to try a few things here and there and post them without all the lyrics and singing. Sometimes I miss just writing music. Your work is inspiring for sure.

Thanks Charlie! (Keep 'em Coming)

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is an excellent song. Loved the choice of instruments. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Charlie,

This is one to be proud of.

You've shown us all just how powerful BIAB is in the hands of someone who knows how to get the most from the software.

Truly a terrific listen!

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Really fantastic use of Styles, thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Ember
User Showcase
B
Expert
Expert
B
Hello, Mr. Fogle...

If your too-brief instrumental piece, There's A Place, isn't just the best example of how attention to technical details can produce something artful, then I don't know what is whistle.

It's a lovely, soulful, and wistful 'moment musical'. I was going to ask which instruments were Real Tracks, which one(s) were MIDI, Hi-Q MIDI, and so on, but then I realized I'd be destroying the magic I experienced as I listened to it by pitting each instrument against the other. The fact is, your composing and arranging skills made each instrument sound perfectly balanced and 'realistic' in performance, each complementing the other, the parts contributing to the greater whole.

Ultimately, you've only validated the old 'one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration' argument attributed to Thomas Alva Edison -- and then created something sweet and soulful out of both traits.

I would love to hear you do this kind of 'moment musical' thing again, Mr. Fogle!

Most sincerely,

- bluage -

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Charlie,

Your understanding of BIAB and its many capabilities always impresses me.

A good listen. The trade off of solo instruments keeps the ear engaged (I especially liked the e. piano). A musical journey in under 2 minutes...

Nicely mixed. Enjoyed.

fj

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Wow - what a tune! You knocked this out of the park. Others said it already, but this is truly excellent use of the software. The fact you jam packed so much into barely a minute and a half is astounding. It flows amazingly well, the groove is perfect, and the progression is stunning.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
C
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Now that is getting under the hood and delivering big bang for the BIAB buck. The results are happy-making. Nice work.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Glad you enjoyed it.

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Nice pleasant little tune Charlie!! Isn't BIAB great!! Well put together and mixed! Take care. Greg

Hi Greg. BIAB is really a great program. Thank you for commenting.

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Charlie !

I loved your instro !
in fact it is really wonderful
it played on all the right
chords !

Congrats Charlie !

Cheers
Dani

Hey Dani. Always good to hear from you. I appreciate your comment.

Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Wow Charlie! What a cool concept for a project. Best of all, that song is GREAT! I think it's so cool that you were able to do what you did. YOU should what BIAB is really capable of with some effort; but simultaneously not needing "more toys" to pull it off.

The proof is in the song. And I'm really liking the song! Real tracks fool me all the time. In the right hands, like yours, it's hard not to be amazed.

Nice job pulling this off! And thank you for posting it. It makes me want to try a few things here and there and post them without all the lyrics and singing. Sometimes I miss just writing music. Your work is inspiring for sure.

Thanks Charlie! (Keep 'em Coming)

Thanks for stopping by HTL. This project came together quite fast. BIAB is such a powerful tool. One of my favorite things is how similar to a multi track recorder BIAB can operate. It's not always as sophisticated as a DAW but I find there's not much that I can't accomplish from solely within the program with satisfactory results.

Originally Posted By: Scott C
This is an excellent song. Loved the choice of instruments. Well done

Thank you Scott.

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Charlie,

This is one to be proud of.

You've shown us all just how powerful BIAB is in the hands of someone who knows how to get the most from the software.

Truly a terrific listen!

All the best,
Noel

Hi Noel. A two minute instrumental is about all I can manage at the moment. I get into BIAB a bit everyday but some illness in my family requires a lot of attention and oversite and there are not long enough periods to sit and concentrate to produce a real project. I appreciate you taking time to comment. Sorry no lyrics this time. wink

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
Really fantastic use of Styles, thanks for sharing!

Thanks Ember. Fantastic Styles PGMusic has given us to use. You guys provide a lot of happiness.

Originally Posted By: bluage
Hello, Mr. Fogle...

If your too-brief instrumental piece, There's A Place, isn't just the best example of how attention to technical details can produce something artful, then I don't know what is whistle.

It's a lovely, soulful, and wistful 'moment musical'. I was going to ask which instruments were Real Tracks, which one(s) were MIDI, Hi-Q MIDI, and so on, but then I realized I'd be destroying the magic I experienced as I listened to it by pitting each instrument against the other. The fact is, your composing and arranging skills made each instrument sound perfectly balanced and 'realistic' in performance, each complementing the other, the parts contributing to the greater whole.

Ultimately, you've only validated the old 'one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration' argument attributed to Thomas Alva Edison -- and then created something sweet and soulful out of both traits.

I would love to hear you do this kind of 'moment musical' thing again, Mr. Fogle!

Most sincerely,

- bluage -

Wow. This made my day. I purposely was a bit vague in the total description hoping listeners would have to 'work' to tell differences between real and midi while at the same time demonstrate the clarity of a mix with a lot of instruments and tracks without the absolute necessity of a DAW. I truly appreciate your remarks. Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Charlie,

Your understanding of BIAB and its many capabilities always impresses me.

A good listen. The trade off of solo instruments keeps the ear engaged (I especially liked the e. piano). A musical journey in under 2 minutes...

Nicely mixed. Enjoyed.

fj

Thanks for listening and posting Floyd. I almost regenerated the Medley Track because of a single note phrase by the electric piano part but after several listens, it fit the part for me so I left it as is. Glad you enjoyed your listen.

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow - what a tune! You knocked this out of the park. Others said it already, but this is truly excellent use of the software. The fact you jam packed so much into barely a minute and a half is astounding. It flows amazingly well, the groove is perfect, and the progression is stunning.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing smile

Thank you so much Deryk for your kind comments. BIAB is such a blessing and joy to work with. The quality of the product is second to none.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Nice sounds and well layered Didn't know you done instrumentals enjoyed.

Thanks

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very nice Charlie. Reminds me a soap opera kind of theme. Lots of work in it.

Mike B.

Music should be part of your life
http://www.soundclick.com/blackcatjazzcafeband
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Charlie you did an expert job on this. PGMusic should use this as a selling point for both RTs, MIDI, and the combination of both.
Outstanding work here!

My only complaint is that it is way too short!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
C
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Nice sounds and well layered Didn't know you done instrumentals enjoyed.

Thanks

I don't do many instrumentals. This project evolved from just experimenting around with BIAB a bit. Glad you enjoyed it.

Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Very nice Charlie. Reminds me a soap opera kind of theme. Lots of work in it.

Mike B.

Hi Mike. Yes, it does have a soap opera vibe I think. It was a fun project to do. Thanks for listening and posting.

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Charlie you did an expert job on this. PGMusic should use this as a selling point for both RTs, MIDI, and the combination of both.
Outstanding work here!

My only complaint is that it is way too short!

32 repetitious bars doesn't leave much room for 4 instruments of 8 bars each playing over the same progression. I had taken this one about far as I could stretch it. wink

There was a lot going on in each section that made it sound a lot better than I was thinking it would but I agree, BIAB is a more capable program than it gets credit for sometimes. I appreciate you listening and commenting. Hope your wife continues to be recovering well.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Man, did you ever cram a lot of talent and BiaB expertise into two minutes!

A BiaB showcase for the User Showcase smile

Everything you did may our collective heads spin but we greatly
enjoyed the outcome!

The combo of pianos was amazing.

Kudos!

J&B

PS Cool title...

User Showcase
C
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Man, did you ever cram a lot of talent and BiaB expertise into two minutes!

A BiaB showcase for the User Showcase smile

Everything you did may our collective heads spin but we greatly
enjoyed the outcome!

The combo of pianos was amazing.

Kudos!

J&B

PS Cool title...

I always appreciate you stopping by for a listen. Glad you enjoyed it.

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Certainly you packed plenty in Charlie, and at the same time you really 'tamed the beast'. Everything fits together just so well.

I liked everything. Great title also.

Nice!

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Really nice, Charlie! I am always impressed at what can be done with Band in a Box! I've been using it for about 8-9 years now, and it continues to amaze me at how powerful this program is.

You have done a great job of putting together a nice arrangement. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
User Showcase
C
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Certainly you packed plenty in Charlie, and at the same time you really 'tamed the beast'. Everything fits together just so well.

I liked everything. Great title also.

Nice!

Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Really nice, Charlie! I am always impressed at what can be done with Band in a Box! I've been using it for about 8-9 years now, and it continues to amaze me at how powerful this program is.

You have done a great job of putting together a nice arrangement. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

Steve

Thanks for stopping by and posting.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Charlie,

Short and good? No: short and excellent !!!! Marvellous song and a fantastic (and most adorable) usage of what PGM has to offer. Simply great all the way.

Stefan

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Lots going on, but everything "glides" together nicely (no abrupt transitions.) Well mixed and produced. Enjoyed the listen.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A nice blend of multiple instruments while keeping it all coherent.

Good work, and a pleasant listen.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
C
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Charlie,

Short and good? No: short and excellent !!!! Marvellous song and a fantastic (and most adorable) usage of what PGM has to offer. Simply great all the way.

Stefan

Thanks Stefan. I appreciate you taking time to listen and comment.

Originally Posted By: Mark K
Lots going on, but everything "glides" together nicely (no abrupt transitions.) Well mixed and produced. Enjoyed the listen.

Thanks for listening. Even with lots going on, the gliding and smooth transitions is mostly me taking advantage of seldom used features and tools that's been included in BIAB for a long time. BIAB is doing the heavy lifting. As a result of a recent discussion on another forum thread, I posted more details to how to get more than 8 tracks and 8 instruments from BIAB without having to use another program or DAW in the Tips and Tricks thread. You may want to try it out one day. BIAB is capable to create some quite complex arrangements beyond just choosing a Style and replacing instruments.

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
A nice blend of multiple instruments while keeping it all coherent.

Good work, and a pleasant listen.

Thanks Herb. I really like your latest post, "Old Tin Roof". It's a great song and production.

User Showcase
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
Nicely done...
It sounds like you have a great understanding Biab & all of its tools...
I enjoyed listening!

Jim
†=☮&♥
User Showcase
C
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Jim
Nicely done...
It sounds like you have a great understanding Biab & all of its tools...
I enjoyed listening!

Thanks for listening and commenting. BIAB/RB is a wonderful tool and I was lucky to have it recommended to me back several years ago. It's been a blessing in so many ways.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A well constructed salad of BIAB capabilities and mixing ability.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Charlie ...

You have such a great understanding of the technical nuances and tools BIAB has to offer. I really enjoyed this ... Nice work in every way. What a really nice listen! Kudos!!! Wishing you the very best ...

Alan

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
When I saw your description, I figured that the song was going to be all over the place, but it held together as a single piece of music well.

That's quite a bit of cleverness to get it trigger different styles. As floyd jane said, nice trade off between the instruments, which really helped make it coherent.

Fun listen. smile

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
C
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: rayc
A well constructed salad of BIAB capabilities and mixing ability.

Thanks for taking time to listen. It was a fun and quick project.

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Charlie ...

You have such a great understanding of the technical nuances and tools BIAB has to offer. I really enjoyed this ... Nice work in every way. What a really nice listen! Kudos!!! Wishing you the very best ...

Alan

It's great to see you had time to listen and post. I hope all is going well with you and Mrs. Di. I saw in another post you replied to that you also use a lot of similar technical nuances and techniques when you create with BIAB. There's a lot of power built into this program and helps me take home recording to levels I can't achieve on my own or with local talent.

Originally Posted By: dcuny
When I saw your description, I figured that the song was going to be all over the place, but it held together as a single piece of music well.

That's quite a bit of cleverness to get it trigger different styles. As floyd jane said, nice trade off between the instruments, which really helped make it coherent.

Fun listen. smile

Thanks for listening. The lead instruments were from a medley put together by the PGMusic staff. It's a feature that's been around for quite a while but was expanded and enhanced and re-introduced as a feature in 2019. It really works a treat and is probably the easiest way to build up the dynamic feel of a project. This project was simply an 8 bar repetition to total 32 bars and the medley did a wonderful job of refocusing the listener's attention from the redundancy of the backing tracks.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,397
Posts732,529
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200